What Bourbon Are You Drinking? 2021:First Quarter.

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

22 hours ago, PaulO said:

Near me, I can find the standard BT almost any time at a grocery store or pharmacy, sometimes even on sale ~ $20.  To me, BT tastes like flat Pepsi Cola with melted ice.  It's not awful, but the others seem much better all around.

I like BT, but I cannot wait to get back to a bottle of BT and look for this note. 

• I like it 1

Blanton's Gold for a Tuesday evening pour.  Was nursing this bottle, but finally have another that will be here in a couple of days so I can hang up my scrubs for awhile.

• I like it 5

Well.......🙄 I have my HH BIB blend of JTS Brown, JW Dant, and EW BIB’s. I also had a 1/3 full bottle of OF 100. Hmmmm. What the heck. I added the OF to my HH blend. Dayummm! :o My HH BIB blend was pretty good. IMHO, adding the OF BIB made it real good. 😋 What can I say?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

I am a having a nice pour of a store select New Riff Single Barrel that I purchased today.  I was going to wait but I thought "what the hey" let's give it a try.  I am glad I did.  I have had two or three New Riff Single Barrels in the past and several of the standard bottle.  This one is the best yet.  It is only 4 years and 4 months old.  I was a little concerned by the tasting notes on the bottle but was pleasantly surprised to find those qualities I enjoy are the most pronounced.  Solid oak, leather and pipe tobacco on the nose.  I enjoy these smells but not as flavors.  The palate is a big shift toward solid cherry and cinnamon.  A mix between Smith Brothers Cherry Lozenges, Big Red Gum and Cherry Pie.  It transitions into a long, long cherry oak spicy finish.  

• I like it 2

I can't edit the post above but want to add.  Now that I am having a second pour, of which I am sure @GeeTen would approve, I am not sure I have ever had a 4 year old bourbon with as complex and pleasing of a nose.  It is like I am sitting in my Grandfather's living room again 37 years later, smelling his pipe tobacco. A nice cherry tobacco smell.  Funny thing is by the time we discussed these things, he no longer smoked a pipe.  But, he had that tobacco around.  Wow...

• I like it 3

WT101 last night, extremely underwhelmed and disappointed, hoping it was me.  Nose was moldy cardboard (maybe my glass wasn't clean), extremely hot on the front end with too short of a finish.  Will try again in a couple days, it's been close to 5 years since I tried good old WT101, was expecting more.  Here's to hoping my palate aligns.

On 2/22/2021 at 7:52 AM, PaulO said:

Near me, I can find the standard BT almost any time at a grocery store or pharmacy, sometimes even on sale ~ $20.  To me, BT tastes like flat Pepsi Cola with melted ice.  It's not awful, but the others seem much better all around.

That is such an amazingly accurate description to what I get from it as well.

On 2/20/2021 at 10:51 PM, k-train said:

Had a margarita on the rocks w/ taco dinner tonight,  then is was:

Buffalo Trace
Man, I try & I try... 

MM101
Ok, that's more like it.

OGD114
Now we're talking.

WT101
Mission accomplished!

I like all of those, but just between you and me, I’m “not allowed to have tequila” (per the Mrs.)

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

I like all of those, but just between you and me, I’m “not allowed to have tequila” (per the Mrs.)

After an "unfortunate incident" with tequila many years ago, I can't stand the stuff. I'm ok with an occasional margarita as the tequila taste/smell is pretty buried.

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

I'm pretty dang lucky. The Mrs. is a former bar manager. It was her suggestion to have the margarita & she definitely makes them right.

• I like it 2

Day 3 of my 60/40 KC Blend...

Day 1: 

1st pour, the blend - ahhh!!!

2nd  a WR LS select that was pretty good but after the blend - faltered big time

3rd  KC 12 - nice recovery

Day 2:

1st the blend - ahhh!!!

2nd OF 1920 - after the blend, it was all nail polish remover (stunned)

3rd KC 12 - great recovery

Day 3:

1st Bulleit Select - ok, but still not really digging this

2nd KC Blend - this sh!+ just gooood!!!

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Well.......🙄 I have my HH BIB blend of JTS Brown, JW Dant, and EW BIB’s. I also had a 1/3 full bottle of OF 100. Hmmmm. What the heck. I added the OF to my HH blend. Dayummm! :o My HH BIB blend was pretty good. IMHO, adding the OF BIB made it real good. 😋 What can I say?

Biba! Joe

Now you're just cocky!!! 😎

40 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

Now you're just cocky!!! 😎

Heeheehee....😙

Y’all atay tuned. I currently have four different MM iterations opened. 🤤

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

14 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Day 3 of my 60/40 KC Blend...

Day 1: 

1st pour, the blend - ahhh!!!

2nd  a WR LS select that was pretty good but after the blend - faltered big time

3rd  KC 12 - nice recovery

Day 2:

1st the blend - ahhh!!!

2nd OF 1920 - after the blend, it was all nail polish remover (stunned)

3rd KC 12 - great recovery

Day 3:

1st Bulleit Select - ok, but still not really digging this

2nd KC Blend - this sh!+ just gooood!!!

I missed or, more likely, don't remember, earlier posts about this so, could you provide details on the 60/40 KC Blend?  It would be much appreciated..

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

I missed or, more likely, don't remember, earlier posts about this so, could you provide details on the 60/40 KC Blend?  It would be much appreciated..

I recently did a blind sbs with KC over 2 nights. The winner ended up being 60% KC9/40% KC120. If the next blend works this well, I may never go back to the standards. I will keep honey barrel Sibs in tact as I have had very few bottles that I like better.

Here is the post:

Knob Creekin' Blind SBS... - Tasting - Straightbourbon.com

Edited by bayouredd
  • I like it 2

An enjoyable revisit...

I wasn't really feeling the first bit of the bottle, nor was I very pleased with the cocktails; even over the regular MM, but revisiting the MM 101 has proven to be worthwhile. It was nice before supper & quite tasty for desert, too...

• I like it 1

proof 1st impressions sometimes wrong.  Popped open new bottle of rare breed and impressed with grade above kerosene flavor.  actually tasted similar to kerosene.  hard but refrained from pouring rest of glass out.  went to same proof OF 1920 and wow, great.  to test palate vs bottle hit a familiar WT101 and it seemed off, got better with second glass.

Two lessons learned:

1) if bottle stinks, might be palate, not bottle

2) go to store early to get more OF 1920

• I like it 3

On 2/20/2021 at 11:51 PM, k-train said:

Had a margarita on the rocks w/ taco dinner tonight,  then is was:

Buffalo Trace
Man, I try & I try... but I just find this stuff to be incredibly boring. A burst of generic bourbon sweet notes followed by mediocre spice & an almost non-existent finish. It's insane to me that this has gotten to damn near unicorn status in places like my particular area of NC. If anyone else made this same whiskey, nobody would ever think twice about it.

MM101
Ok, that's more like it.

OGD114
Now we're talking.

WT101
Mission accomplished!

Uh, in defense (defence!) of basic BT - THAT IS WHAT I WANT WHEN I DRINKING ONE MORE WHILE WAITING FOR MY WIFE TO COME BACK FROM THE BOOKSTORE AFTER WE EAT AT OUR FAVORITE RESTAURANT!!  Why else would one drink it?:o

Cannot disagree/comment with those other three.   I concur.

EDIT -One more thought:  Lime and bourbon REALLY SCREWS UP my palate.  For whatever reason, I've never been able to reconcile ANY bourbon drink/cocktail/brand with Mexican/Hispanic/Even Spanish food, especially if lime is involved.  Lime and gin?? All Guy Fawlkes Day long.

Just saying - your palate may differ.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
ONE MORE THOUGHT!
  • I like it 2

On 2/22/2021 at 7:41 AM, PaulO said:

EWSB used to be 10 years old, then they started to get quite a bit younger.  I think that put some people off.

Even at that, a good barrel is good, and I need to revisit.

I bought a 2012 EWSB last year in hopes it might be have improved over recent bottles.  I was wrong.  It is now in the bourbon stash set aside for cookies.  I get that it is a SiB but my understanding is that they shoot for a specific profile in each year's vintage.  If the bottle I purchased was what they were shooting for with 2012 vintage, they might as well just flavor this stuff with honey, cinnamon, or some other flavor and sell it to that crowd.  I still see a lot of EWSB 2012 bottles on the shelves.  I wonder if anyone has found it good enough to purchase a second bottle.

On 2/22/2021 at 7:52 AM, PaulO said:

This.  I have been seeing BT quite a bit recently.  Not tempting at all.  For the price, I can buy OF100, WT101 or even MM.  

I do like ER, CEHT and loved OC10.  I assume the issue is that the BT #1 mashbill to me is better with age or proof.  

Enjoyed a couple of pours of Rossville Union Rye Store Select Single Barrel, 100 proof, followed by a pour of OF100.  All were solid.  Tonight, I preferred the rye.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.