What Bourbon Are You Drinking? 2021:First Quarter.

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Standard BT works well. If BT is hard to find in your area get some Old Charter 8. This was the first bourbon I used to blend with bad batches of Stagg Jr many years ago and it worked great.

Sweet!   

I have a bottle of BT.     Do you have a ratio of Stagg Jr to the BT?   With the ER, I've always winged it and I can't remember if it was a pour of ER and a splash of Jr, or the other way around.   

Just now, Skinsfan1311 said:

Sweet!   

I have a bottle of BT.     Do you have a ratio of Stagg Jr to the BT?   With the ER, I've always winged it and I can't remember if it was a pour of ER and a splash of Jr, or the other way around.   

I always winged it to suit my palate on any given day. Basically, pour the Jr. first and then add BT or OC8 in small amounts until you find the sweet spot.

When you find it, it's really good.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Welcome to the Turkey cult.  About time you got on board.

Uh thank you, thank you very much!image.gif.6d741ef2fe1271e148715c44f56f49f2.gif

4 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

Mmmmm, this is really good.  Neat.  First time trying this or any WT product. 
94CE2E16-58DB-46FF-AC64-79B66150AABE.thumb.jpeg.18e21a64c27b4114659904a0bfa46da5.jpeg

That might just be my desert island bottle right there...

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Sweet!   

1 hour ago, flahute said:

I always winged it to suit my palate on any given day. Basically, pour the Jr. first and then add BT or OC8 in small amounts until you find the sweet spot.

When you find it, it's really good.

Y'all are more sophisticated than me.

Me, I'm a simple man.  With my home vattings I usually just do 50-50 and go from there (I don't much care for math, Lol).  For some reason, after about 3 pours of Stagg Jr Home Blend (plus either ER or BT) I find that almost any ratio tastes pretty good...YMMV 🤪

• I like it 5

33 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Me, I'm a simple man.  With my home vattings I usually just do 50-50 and go from there (I don't much care for math, Lol).  For some reason, after about 3 pours of Stagg Jr Home Blend (plus either ER or BT) I find that almost any ratio tastes pretty good...YMMV 🤪

Now wait just a second there! I said that I wing it. You say that's sophisticated? What the hell is happening down there in Texas?

• I like it 3

1 minute ago, flahute said:

Now wait just a second there! I said that I wing it. You say that's sophisticated? What the hell is happening down there in Texas?

Haha nice.  OK Steve I concede you have a great point there - since you just wing it, I now understand that you're actually the same as me.  Just pour what we think is a "half-a-shot" of Stagg Jr and then just add in roughly the same amount of the other.  Then do a quick dab on the tongue and call it "good" 👍.   Adjust as necessary.  Ok we are on the same page now 😀

Just now, Kepler said:

Haha nice.  OK Steve I concede you have a great point there - since you just wing it, I now understand that you're actually the same as me.  Just pour what we think is a "half-a-shot" of Stagg Jr and then just add in roughly the same amount of the other.  Then do a quick dab on the tongue and call it "good" 👍.   Adjust as necessary.  Ok we are on the same page now 😀

LOL! Now we are tracking!

3 minutes ago, flahute said:

LOL! Now we are tracking!

Absolutely!  This is what I love about this forum.  Of course we enjoy dabbling in and debating all the intricacies of these spirits, but we are all really just on the same basic wavelength 😄 🥃

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I'm drinking what may be the worst Stagg Jr release, ever #2.

It's a hot mess. I don't even know if I can muscle through it.

I need a bottle of Eagle Rare to blend it with.

20210305_174749.jpg

I keep going back to "dSculptor's blend" for the older, hotter bottles of StaggJr - 2xER10:StaggJr:BT.  Every time I find a hot bottle of StaggJr, I make another batch. - soooo nice.  But I haven't needed it for a while, tho'.  😉

Update - Time for some bunker diving - decanter is EMPTY!  🤯

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 3

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

That's a little scientific for me.   Can you please dumb it down a bit?

• I like it 1

37 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

That's a little scientific for me.   Can you please dumb it down a bit?

OK.  Take a large Old Fashioned glass off the shelf and put it on a table near an open GTS Jr and an open BT/ER/OCB.  Put three fingers (on one hand, not one from one and two from the other) vertically in the glass.  With the other hand, pour in GTS Jr to cover the "lowest" knuckle on the middle finger.  THEN pour in the other bourbon to the top of the second knuckle on one of the other fingers.  Take your fingers out and lick them.  Pick up the glass and sit down in a chair in front of the TV.  Sip until it tastes good.

Works for me. 

• I like it 6

5 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

OK.  Take a large Old Fashioned glass off the shelf and put it on a table near an open GTS Jr and an open BT/ER/OCB.  Put three fingers (on one hand, not one from one and two from the other) vertically in the glass.  With the other hand, pour in GTS Jr to cover the "lowest" knuckle on the middle finger.  THEN pour in the other bourbon to the top of the second knuckle on one of the other fingers.  Take your fingers out and lick them.  Pick up the glass and sit down in a chair in front of the TV.  Sip until it tastes good.

Works for me. 

Should I clean my nails before or after the pour?

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, mal00768 said:

Should I clean my nails before or after the pour?

Depends how dirty you are feeling on that particular day!

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Sweet!   

When I've done my vats I like to go somewhere between 110-115. That's my wheelhouse proof-wise. 

I realize we're talking mashbill 1 above, but ECBP B520 proofed to about 115 is my favorite pour from 2020. 

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I'm drinking what may be the worst Stagg Jr release, ever #2.

It's a hot mess. I don't even know if I can muscle through it.

I need a bottle of Eagle Rare to blend it with.

I dunno Rick, it might be a toss up. Batch #1 was the same way, just a hot mess. 🤯

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Works for me. 

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

27 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I dunno Rick, it might be a toss up. Batch #1 was the same way, just a hot mess. 🤯

Biba! Joe

Yeah, I muscled through that one too.

I liked #3 and loved #9. 

The problem is getting to try, before committing to a bottle.  If I can't try it elsewhere,  I'll  resort to a parking lot pour, next time.  I've never thought to do that, until revisiting this thread.

29 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I liked #3 and loved #9. 

Ditto!

I was at a work function a few years ago and the place we were at had Batch #3 at their bar, so I  decided to give it another try. Glad I did. I was able to get a couple of bottles. I also had a few bottles of Batch #9, and was gonna get more. Sadly, it all disappeared under mysterious circumstances from the one store that had a bunch on the shelf. 😡

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Ditto!

I was at a work function a few years ago and the place we were at had Batch #3 at their bar, so I  decided to give it another try. Glad I did. I was able to get a couple of bottles. I also had a few bottles of Batch #9, and was gonna get more. Sadly, it all disappeared under mysterious circumstances from the one store that had a bunch on the shelf. 😡

Did they roll you away in a wheelbarrow  after that work function? 🤣

Edited by Skinsfan1311

Well....I'm doing this for science.

Stagg Jr release #2 and BT.

It is roughly a 1:1 ratio.

20210306_170807.jpg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Did they roll you away in a wheelbarrow  after that work function? 🤣

It was our yearly awards banquet from my work. I was smart enough to have my wife drop me off, then pick me up when all was said and done. 🥳After dinner, and awards, it was bar time. 🤪The funny thing was I shared my first pour of Stagg Jr #3 with a few coworkers. They looked at me like I was nuts when I told them I was going back to the bar to get another pour. 😏 Rookies. :lol:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

OGD 114. I really like this though I thought I would as I like Basil Hayden too. 
A16D324F-5872-4922-B6AD-0DE270E57FF2.thumb.jpeg.77d38887354ed1e25f5092d9929b3d2b.jpeg

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It was our yearly awards banquet from my work. I was smart enough to have my wife drop me off, then pick me up when all was said and done. 🥳After dinner, and awards, it was bar time. 🤪The funny thing was I shared my first pour of Stagg Jr #3 with a few coworkers. They looked at me like I was nuts when I told them I was going back to the bar to get another pour. 😏 Rookies. :lol:

Biba! 

Amen!  I did something similar , back in the 90's , at my sister in laws companies Christmas party. They had a bottle of Booker's on the bar. I was the only one drinking it.  I drank a lot of it. A lot.

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.