What Bourbon Are You Drinking? 2021:First Quarter.

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finished up a long day, and finishing a good ‘ol SAOS. Good to the last glass. 
281574A8-AE2F-4092-83FF-D6507773E5F7.thumb.jpeg.b7c18f4e1a3f3553f83624fe1ad70d08.jpeg

• I like it 5

49 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Need I ask? Sarah? 🙄

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Stuck on this bottle of WTKS -O.  It has a great nose, wonderful palate and gives a strong Ky hug.  Gotta love it!

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Another busy day at work. I got home and decided to try a pour of my recent MM Blend. Wow, what a surprise. :o The combination of MM and MMCS in this one is remarkable. The two compliment each other  in a really good way. There is a viscosity that isn’t present in either by themselves. Rich, flavorful and kinda  thick and “gooey”. 👍

So, after I finished my MM Blend, I decided to have a pour of my 2021 Weller Blend just ‘cause. ;) The edge goes to my Weller Blend, but not by much. My Weller Blend doesn’t have the thickness and viscosity of the MM Blend, but it does has a more well rounded, deeper, full flavor. Win! Win! 

Biba! Joe

Joe, I may mix up a batch of that MMCS/MM blend.  It looks like you went equal portions of each.

• I like it 2

On 3/7/2021 at 4:42 PM, StarSurfer55 said:

So I just saw that the US and U.K. agreed to drop the 25% tariff on whiskey. Supposedly this has been in the works since December. 

on an all together different topic, I have begun to notice that a poorly done wheater ( smooth ambler big level, I’m looking at you) will have a strong musty corn note while a well done one such as Weller does not. Is this just me or is this a common finding?  I would appreciate those more experienced providing their comments. 

It's not just you.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Another busy day at work. I got home and decided to try a pour of my recent MM Blend. Wow, what a surprise. :o The combination of MM and MMCS in this one is remarkable. The two compliment each other  in a really good way. There is a viscosity that isn’t present in either by themselves. Rich, flavorful and kinda  thick and “gooey”. 👍

So, after I finished my MM Blend, I decided to have a pour of my 2021 Weller Blend just ‘cause. ;) The edge goes to my Weller Blend, but not by much. My Weller Blend doesn’t have the thickness and viscosity of the MM Blend, but it does has a more well rounded, deeper, full flavor. Win! Win! 

Biba! Joe

Curious,  didn't you recently have a negative experience with the MM101 ?

I would've thought cutting MMCS with MM, would bring you close to the 101

I'm doing a 60:40 of MMCS:MM46 & let it sit for a week.  The 46 adds some layers to the MMCS and teetering somewhere around 101 proof softens the sharp edges on the sniff test.  The blend is good enough that I made up a new batch yesterday

• I like it 1

Worked on tuning up the mower for Spring.  It was a beautiful 72 degrees.

some OGD114 this evening.

• I like it 1

On 3/7/2021 at 6:42 PM, StarSurfer55 said:

So I just saw that the US and U.K. agreed to drop the 25% tariff on whiskey. Supposedly this has been in the works since December. 

on an all together different topic, I have begun to notice that a poorly done wheater ( smooth ambler big level, I’m looking at you) will have a strong musty corn note while a well done one such as Weller does not. Is this just me or is this a common finding?  I would appreciate those more experienced providing their comments. 

Thank you Jesus! For a guy that got into Scotch right around the start of the tariff and gets a lot of good bourbon in Europe this is great news.

On 3/8/2021 at 5:30 PM, LCWoody said:

281574A8-AE2F-4092-83FF-D6507773E5F7.thumb.jpeg.b7c18f4e1a3f3553f83624fe1ad70d08.jpeg

Wish I bought I few more cases of those.

• I like it 3

On 3/5/2021 at 7:58 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

I'm drinking what may be the worst Stagg Jr release, ever #2.

It's a hot mess. I don't even know if I can muscle through it.

I need a bottle of Eagle Rare to blend it with.

20210305_174749.jpg

I can’t imagine its worse that batch 1, that was only good for cleaning drain pipes and put me off even considering STJ for many years. I did purchase one a couple years back and while OK, it was best blended 50:50 with standard BT. To my taste I find regular BT underwhelming stand alone so it was a win win. Thanks Flahute for that tip!! That mingle is an enjoyable pour if you can find standard BT.

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Should actuallly clarify as I did buy a case and more.  Wish I still had a case, think I have a box with one 11 year left in it.

• I like it 1

On 3/8/2021 at 7:21 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Need I ask? Sarah? 🙄

Biba! Joe

19 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

She sure can pick 'em 😉

20210310_174400.jpg

20210310_174257.jpg

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Should actuallly clarify as I did buy a case and more.  Wish I still had a case, think I have a box with one 11 year left in it.

I bet those older ones are excellent.

8 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I bet those older ones are excellent.

These new ones are good but  those 10-13 years where special and $54+tax.  

Glad Sarah is still there.

• I like it 1

It has been a long 4-5 months since I have posted anything.  Lots going on with Covid, retirement, and dealing with the VA (among other things).  Bourbon has been a consistent theme and today is no different.  Started with some EW BIB followed by some Dant.  I hope to keep up with my forum posts moving forward.  Miss the forums alot.

• I like it 5

26 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

These new ones are good but  those 10-13 years where special and $54+tax.  

Glad Sarah is still there.

I have no doubt that those older bottles are fantastic!  

35 minutes ago, TwoFingers said:

It has been a long 4-5 months since I have posted anything.  Lots going on with Covid, retirement, and dealing with the VA (among other things).  Bourbon has been a consistent theme and today is no different.  Started with some EW BIB followed by some Dant.  I hope to keep up with my forum posts moving forward.  Miss the forums alot.

Welcome back Pat, and nice timing. I got home from work today and I’m having a couple of pours of my HH BIB Blend. FWIW, I sympathize with the whole retirement, VA thing. Just starting the paperwork journey. Covid not withstanding.🙄 

Biba! Joe

26 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Welcome back Pat, and nice timing. I got home from work today and I’m having a couple of pours of my HH BIB Blend. FWIW, I sympathize with the whole retirement, VA thing. Just starting the paperwork journey. Covid not withstanding.🙄 

Biba! Joe

Thanks Joe.  Heaven Hill has kept me content over the last few months.  Happy to pass on my limited experience with the VA process.  Just PM me if you need anything.

• I like it 1

Had a good day at work and those are hard to come by these days. I decided that some Old Fitz 14yr BIB would be appropriate. 

• I like it 5

Been a crap week other than being able to get my first COVID vaccine dose on Monday. Decided to crack my lotto bottle last night. Could live with my nose in the glass. Really good.

84A58FD2-EA98-4C54-85F4-9527C484970F.jpeg

• I like it 6

40 minutes ago, marshall9779 said:

Been a crap week other than being able to get my first COVID vaccine dose on Monday. Decided to crack my lotto bottle last night. Could live with my nose in the glass. Really good.

84A58FD2-EA98-4C54-85F4-9527C484970F.jpeg

Nice medicine for a crappy week!  I really enjoyed the bottle I picked up in the Fall.  My personal “2020 Whiskey of the Year”.  

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.