What bottle did you open today? ~ 2021

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I just opened an OF barrel pick. Tasty sip and it reminds me how strong of a run the OF lineup has been on. Plenty of us like 1920 and Statesman, the rye is really solid for a good price, the barrel strength picks have Berlage well received, still plenty of fans of the OF100, and the 150th releases were badass. 

Now that's perspective.... I agree with all of those things, but then you tie them all together and add in the 150th release - they are rollin.....

• I like it 1

First time i have had this from the “new” bottle shape.  I’ve been sitting in it for a while but just haven’t gotten around to trying it.  I don’t think o even realized that these were “batched” before the redesigned bottles.

E67C4C02-843D-4A40-96A7-6436249B82AD.jpeg

• I like it 3

I find EWB to be one of the best values in today’s bourbon market. Sure, I buy my fair share of expensive bottles. Yet every time I pour myself a finger or two of EWB, I think I could just drink this stuff all of the time. 

And maybe I’m the only who gets it, but I love the raw chocolate chip cookie dough finish I get on nearly every sip. 

6A9D567E-520F-43C4-AC9C-3F2A07CC5CA7.jpeg

• I like it 5

10 hours ago, Rhettro said:

I find EWB to be one of the best values in today’s bourbon market. Sure, I buy my fair share of expensive bottles. Yet every time I pour myself a finger or two of EWB, I think I could just drink this stuff all of the time. 

And maybe I’m the only who gets it, but I love the raw chocolate chip cookie dough finish I get on nearly every sip. 

6A9D567E-520F-43C4-AC9C-3F2A07CC5CA7.jpeg

I enjoy a good EW too.  It's my benchmark bourbon.  I essentially stole the idea from Lew Bryson.  When tasting $XXX bottles of "craft" bourbon I ask myself "Is this better to me than EW Black at it's price point?"  If the answer is no then it's an easy pass.  Needless to say, I don't buy much craft product. 

• I like it 5

17 hours ago, Rhettro said:

EWB was the first bourbon that I really enjoyed.  That was over 20 yrs ago back when it had a 7yr age statement.  It's not as good now that it's younger but it's still delicious and the best value on the bottom shelf, IMO.  I get it for $9/750 at my local Safeway. 

• I like it 2

Bought and cracked open the new EW 1783. Gonna give it some time, but not exactly blowing me away at first attempt.

• 2 weeks later...

My first PS of Knob Creek SB, 9.5 years and 123.5 proof.   It is really good.  Bought this about a month back, so I am pretty sure there are no more in stock as there were limited bottles shared by two stores.  Anyway, will go by the stores tomorrow to make sure there isn't one hiding on the shelf. 

106958730_20210727_1832301.thumb.jpg.69131eb9600f59c6d77c17ff34e40a1b.jpg1294935279_20210727_1832461.thumb.jpg.8f881667ea54758986b016778448c79f.jpg

• I like it 4

17 hours ago, Richdel said:

My first PS of Knob Creek SB, 9.5 years and 123.5 proof.   It is really good.  Bought this about a month back, so I am pretty sure there are no more in stock as there were limited bottles shared by two stores.  Anyway, will go by the stores tomorrow to make sure there isn't one hiding on the shelf. 

106958730_20210727_1832301.thumb.jpg.69131eb9600f59c6d77c17ff34e40a1b.jpg1294935279_20210727_1832461.thumb.jpg.8f881667ea54758986b016778448c79f.jpg

Interesting. I see the stick says 123.5 proof, and the front label says 120 proof. To my knowledge JB only bottles these at 120 proof. 

4 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Interesting. I see the stick says 123.5 proof, and the front label says 120 proof. To my knowledge JB only bottles these at 120 proof. 

That always seems to be confusing on a lot of KC120 PS bottles that they list what the original barrel proof was.....but it is bottled at 120.

Surprised this sticker made it thru without identifying that the higher proof was the barrel's proof before bottling.  Possibly added after the fact by the store?

This is some of the best WSR I’ve had in a long time.  Maybe my palate is reaching new heights… 🤣

Slightly oily/viscous, nice oaky finish, and a gentle kiss of that red hots candy flavor I love so much about Weller SR.

I originally bought this handle to use for cocktails, but now I think that might be a sin.

4595B8A6-CBEE-4D56-83D0-C1BB23657991.jpeg

• I like it 5

4 minutes ago, 0895 said:

This is some of the best WSR I’ve had in a long time.  Maybe my palate is reaching new heights… 🤣

Slightly oily/viscous, nice oaky finish, and a gentle kiss of that red hots candy flavor I love so much about Weller SR.

I originally bought this handle to use for cocktails, but now I think that might be a sin.

Muwaaaahaaahaaahaa! 😈 We gotcha now!  😉

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Muwaaaahaaahaaahaa! 😈 We gotcha now!  😉

Biba! Joe

Yeah, poor me… stuck in Weller Hell.

😂

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, Clueby said:

That always seems to be confusing on a lot of KC120 PS bottles that they list what the original barrel proof was.....but it is bottled at 120.

Surprised this sticker made it thru without identifying that the higher proof was the barrel's proof before bottling.  Possibly added after the fact by the store?

That is definitely added later.

Three words for this. Dee. Lish. Us! Wow! for $17, this rivals or exceeds WT101. Amazing!

rebel 100.jpg

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, 0895 said:

4595B8A6-CBEE-4D56-83D0-C1BB23657991.jpeg

That viscosity would be a nice change.  It's something I find consistently in my favorite pours.  I've found WSRs to be quite thin for quite a few years.  Turning that around would be great.  But there still isn't much WSR hitting the shelves in my hood so it's kind of moot. 

31 minutes ago, BigRich said:

That viscosity would be a nice change.  It's something I find consistently in my favorite pours.  I've found WSRs to be quite thin for quite a few years.  Turning that around would be great.  But there still isn't much WSR hitting the shelves in my hood so it's kind of moot. 

I’ll crack one of my recent wsr I picked up when I get home (Columbus) today and report back. They should be relatively “fresh” as far as bottling, laser etched: lot L21, which I’m guessing corresponds to the year bottled?  My bunkered ones back home (Indiana)are mostly all L18.

Edited by TehRegion219
Location location location
  • I like it 1

21 hours ago, fosmith said:

Three words for this. Dee. Lish. Us! Wow! for $17, this rivals or exceeds WT101. Amazing!

rebel 100.jpg

One good pour deserves another...equally dee - LISH. 

1213715907_RebelDistillersCollection.thumb.jpg.532347102f10ec2befbc64b4c2d91a90.jpg

23 hours ago, fosmith said:

rebel 100.jpg

Whoa there! That is high praise. My local has this so now I need to give it a try.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, flahute said:

Whoa there! That is high praise. My local has this so now I need to give it a try.

The Rebel 100 is available in 50mL for low risk sampling.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, flahute said:

I may have been a little over enthusiastic when I posted that it might be better than WT101.  But in terms of QPR, it's still outstanding.  I had some last night and, to my more sober palate, it was quite sweet and, while still delicious, I found myself thinking that I missed that WT spiciness.  So, if you don't like sweet bourbon, this might not be in your wheelhouse. 

12 hours ago, dmatley said:

One good pour deserves another...equally dee - LISH. 

Yeah, the Rebel DC is a step up and well worth the price even though it's more than double the price of R100. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.