What Bourbon are you Drinking - Spring (2Q) 2021

StarSurfer55
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Hey Old Friends,

Once again, sorry I haven't been on the forum a whole lot lately. Still very slowly recovering from what ails me, and at that I don't know whether or not this is going to be a chronic condition or temporary. For the moment would rather not discuss the whole thing in detail- it isn't Covid- but just to say that it ain't a barrel full of monkeys for fun and it's one day at a time for sure.

On a much more fun and positive note, also wanted to post a few goodies for this April spring Saturday evening: below, currently having a pour from one of the Jos. Magnus Cigar Blend Bourbon barrels that I've got coming out later this summer (ages 13 years/10 months old plus some 20+ y.o. barrel) at a current whopping proof of 133.54. I know that cask finished Bourbons, in this case old Armagnac barrels, aren't everyone's cup of tea, which is cool and completely understandable, but I must say that as it goes this Bourbon will be a pretty darned good cuppa, as our Brit friends say. 

😉🥃

And for the music lovers and musicians among you friends, below are some new acquisitions in the Fraley household: on the right is a 1970 (my birth year) Fender Mustang bass in Gulf Oil blue and orange racing stripes, and on the right is a 1965 Guild Starfire I bass. For the Fender Mustang think of Bill Wyman from the Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter," and for the Guild Starfire think of Chris Hillman from the The Byrds' "Eight Miles High," or Jack Casady from Jefferson Airplane's "Somebody to Love" and "White Rabbit." Whatever you like, both of these short scale basses absolutely rumble and thump lots of thunderous bass. 

Slánte, and hope everyone is having a good Saturday evening with great Bourbon!

Nancy

IMG_6845.jpg

IMG_6838.jpg

Beautiful works of art. That Fender Bass.......  

I sincerely hope/pray your health troubles soon leave you. Good vibes sent your way.  Be well. 

Cheers 

Edited by Wedelstaedt
I clarified my sentence
  • I like it 1

8 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

And for the music lovers and musicians among you friends, below are some new acquisitions in the Fraley household: on the right is a 1970 (my birth year) Fender Mustang bass in Gulf Oil blue and orange racing stripes . . . . . . . .

IMG_6838.jpg

Nancy,

You were born in 1970?  Sheesh, I'm MIT Class of 1970 - you could be my daughter!   😇

Be well and I look forward to being able to fly to the Left Coast and share a dram or 2 with you and "The Boss" - just might have to make it out in the fall (full knee replaement surgery scheduled 7/20).  😝

TTFN,

F.

8-)

After the ER17 tasting (see separate thread) my guest was good for one more pour so I suggested two options, both  unicorn samples from @0895

Having loved the ‘19 OFBB on his last visit my friend chose King of Kentucky ‘19 version. Holy cow. Deep caramel on the nose, an explosive rich and decadent palate with classic caramel vanilla but also chocolate/mocha, dark chocolate cherries. The finish was like a very good pecan pie. Very sweet, but not overly so and balanced.

Exceptional.

Finished out with Rare Breed by the fire pit. :)

40289E1D-9201-4A3C-B71D-FB693FE7FC3C.jpeg

• I like it 5

So taday was my first cook at the RV site for the season.  I smoked a brisket.  Took 6 hours at 250 to get to  my 205 desired temp.  Every Sunday we start it with Tropical Mimosas (1 oz coconut rum, 1 oz pineapple or mango juice, then top with champagne; we prefer Freixnet cava).  I finished my day with a 1 ox pour of TX blended whiskey.  Still cold here with a high of 40 today.  We are predicted to be 77 on Tuesday which will be very nice.  All in all, it was a good day.  The only thing that would have made it better would have been an F1 race on TV.

IMG_1462.jpeg

IMG_1464.jpeg

• I like it 3

An incredibly generous friend gave me this a while back. A perfect pour on my 40th birthday. This is fantastic. 

20210425_201620.jpg

IMG_5080_20210320_163433.jpg

• I like it 10

33 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

An incredibly generous friend gave me this a while back. A perfect pour on my 40th birthday. This is fantastic. 

20210425_201620.jpg

IMG_5080_20210320_163433.jpg

Now that's how to celebrate!

Happy Birthday buddy!

• I like it 3

Celebrating my 1000th SB posting tonight with one of my favorites - ECBP C917.  Sweet cinnabun nose and such a balanced. sweet, complex and long palate.  And, dare I say smooth with such a high proof?  Finish just goes on and on.  Amazing!  So glad I stocked up on this batch...

ecbp c917.jpg

• I like it 9

Tried in the bar, twice and not that pleased, but opened my 1st bottle of HMK. I was stunned at how sweet this was followed by a not too pleasing but not off-putting oak thing. I will say that I do have hope of this opening up with air time...

Next pour, a MM FAE-01...

The extreme butterscotch nose was very inviting. Tasting - WTH...

This is so far off the path one might think a bourbon tastes like. I now understand why the reviewers really didn't say what they felt. They just aren't sure. Neither am I. I really don't know what I am tasting. Can't say good or bad, just wasn't ready for the extreme stray off of the beaten path.

Both of these will get a second evaluation 'cause I just can't be fair at this point.

I have decided that neck pours are almost always not a true test...

• I like it 4

I'm of the philosophy - put it away, and try again a later day.  Particularly if it's something new to you or a single barrel selection.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

I'm of the philosophy - put it away, and try again a later day.  Particularly if it's something new to you or a single barrel selection.

This is also true and is what I usually do if the second neck pour (depending on length of neck) just doesn’t cut the mustard 

I've been getting the seasonal allergy thing.  I wouldn't attempt anything new or tasting notes with my nose like this.  I can still tell that this OF 100 is very good, in my wheelhouse.

• I like it 2

13 minutes ago, TehRegion219 said:

This is also true and is what I usually do if the second neck pour (depending on length of neck) just doesn’t cut the mustard 

The recent neck pour thing really has me befuddled...

• I like it 3

4 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Yep, here's the silly "neck pour" myth rearing its head again

4 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Fir whatever reason the first (sometimes  second pour) always seems off. I’m probably just sauced up by the third and it “gets better” or it goes back on the shelf in favor of something already opened 

because I like congeners, I often find the 1st couple pours more interesting.  If it's regular booze I just drink it.  But if it's a premium bottle to savor, I give short swirl (not invert bottle) to mix things up.  Most people think top and bottom of a bottle are the same thing, not true.  If you don't believe me, ask BATF forensic chemists that analyze the stuff.  So put me in the camp believing "neck pour" could be a thing.

• I like it 2

38 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Yep, here's the silly "neck pour" myth rearing its head again

47 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I use the term because I see it as a descriptor on SB.

Actually, if you think about it, upon opening any new bottle the ethanol is most prevalent. Allowing that to dissipate a bit allows flavors to come forth. 'Fraid that's no myth, just science...

• I like it 1

The actual liquid is the same.  You're not drinking the gas captured at the top of the head space when the bottle is sealed...

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Tried in the bar, twice and not that pleased, but opened my 1st bottle of HMK. I was stunned at how sweet this was followed by a not too pleasing but not off-putting oak thing. I will say that I do have hope of this opening up with air time...

Next pour, a MM FAE-01...

The extreme butterscotch nose was very inviting. Tasting - WTH...

This is so far off the path one might think a bourbon tastes like. I now understand why the reviewers really didn't say what they felt. They just aren't sure. Neither am I. I really don't know what I am tasting. Can't say good or bad, just wasn't ready for the extreme stray off of the beaten path.

Both of these will get a second evaluation 'cause I just can't be fair at this point.

I have decided that neck pours are almost always not a true test...

the FAE has not gotten better for me,  just tastes off.   I would not buy another, and I loved the previous releases.  

• I like it 1

That’s why I don’t leave the enjoyment of my whiskey drinking to chance.  Why pay the amount of money I do and allow things like neck pour phenomena,   Wheater air time flavor imbalances, imprecise micro-droplet water additions, K v O yeast influences, or cloudy ice, ruin the whiskey experience?  Instead, I have each and every bottle on my bar Feng Shui’d by Feng Shui GrandMaster Po.  His precise placement of my bottles through his detailed analysis of the Luo Pan has proven invaluable over the years.  Yeah, I may be what they call a Whiskey Geek, but I just follow the Science on this one... 🤓

• I like it 5

When I grow up, I hope I can science 🥸....

in the meant time, I’ll just pour out my bottom shelf “neck portion” (for the homies of course) in the  liquor store parking lot and avoid the all conspiracy. I can’t be caught acting all 🥔  like now....

• I like it 1

39 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

That’s why I don’t leave the enjoyment of my whiskey drinking to chance.  Why pay the amount of money I do and allow things like neck pour phenomena,   Wheater air time flavor imbalances, imprecise micro-droplet water additions, K v O yeast influences, or cloudy ice, ruin the whiskey experience?  Instead, I have each and every bottle on my bar Feng Shui’d by Feng Shui GrandMaster Po.  His precise placement of my bottles through his detailed analysis of the Luo Pan has proven invaluable over the years.  Yeah, I may be what they call a Whiskey Geek, but I just follow the Science on this one... 🤓

Grandmaster Po; Ok, this is just funny sh!+ right here... But you also have to throw in Glencairns, Witchcraft and the likes. I can't explain the palate changes that make everything good one week & a struggle to pick a bottle for a enjoyable pour the next...

Myths, legends, science to include physiology & the debates are what make all of this so fun. So have one on me, because we all deserve that next perfect pour on a perfect day... 🙂

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

The actual liquid is the same.  You're not drinking the gas captured at the top of the head space when the bottle is sealed...

True enough. My problem lies in the fact that "ye old olfactory" sense, seems to be my best working one in this time of my life and that programming of the others senses is quite prevalent.  I don't think that the liquid top or bottom matters as much as the palate's acceptance on that particular day...

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, geclbxf said:

the FAE has not gotten better for me,  just tastes off.   I would not buy another, and I loved the previous releases.  

Disappointing to hear; because this was so out of "bourbon profile" for me. I really just wanted to make it through the pour. Maybe if I am feeling something "not" bourbon on a particular day...

11 hours ago, Kepler said:

Yes, I am.

I like to take one of those wider bubble tea straws and the moment I get that cork out I get that straw right above the liquid line and suck up all that neck pour essence!  If I'm not feeling it at the moment I will just re-bottle that air for future comparisons.  Italics = sarcasm font.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.