What Bourbon are you Drinking - Spring (2Q) 2021

StarSurfer55
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Grandmaster Po; Ok, this is just funny sh!+ right here... But you also have to throw in Glencairns, Witchcraft and the likes. I can't explain the palate changes that make everything good one week & a struggle to pick a bottle for a enjoyable pour the next...

Myths, legends, science to include physiology & the debates are what make all of this so fun. So have one on me, because we all deserve that next perfect pour on a perfect day... 🙂

True enough. My problem lies in the fact that "ye old olfactory" sense, seems to be my best working one in this time of my life and that programming of the others senses is quite prevalent.  I don't think that the liquid top or bottom matters as much as the palate's acceptance on that particular day...

I know what your problem is...You’re from the Bayou.  Somebody done Voodoo’d your stash!  

• I like it 2

I’ve been working on some very low fill bottles lately. MM 46 is one of those, and it’s currently in my glass. 😊

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I know what your problem is...You’re from the Bayou.  Somebody done Voodoo’d your stash!  

haha...

Man, I saw that one in the theater with a group of girls at a time when I could do something about it... Voodoo & hoodo has changed to you-tube...

• I like it 2

22 hours ago, PaulO said:

I've been getting the seasonal allergy thing.  I wouldn't attempt anything new or tasting notes with my nose like this.  I can still tell that this OF 100 is very good, in my wheelhouse.

I just finished one of those and can't believe how good it was. I craved it daily until oblivion. I have a second bottle and will try to get 2 more on Friday tho an hour away...

Sorry bout the allergies. Luckily I only get the fall version...

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

haha...

Man, I saw that one in the theater with a group of girls at a time when I could do something about it... Voodoo & hoodo has changed to you-tube...

Heehee!  👍🏻

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, bayouredd said:

I just finished one of those and can't believe how good it was. I craved it daily until oblivion. I have a second bottle and will try to get 2 more on Friday tho an hour away...

I know exactly what you mean - just keep pecking away at it.  Next time I visit the place I got this one, I'm stocking up.

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, bayouredd said:

OF100 has been one of my most consumed bourbons over the past year or so because it's so good right now. The only reason I don't have on open at the moment is because I needed to take a break from OF after the OFBP 32 barrels taste off.

• I like it 5

28 minutes ago, flahute said:

OF100 has been one of my most consumed bourbons over the past year or so because it's so good right now. The only reason I don't have on open at the moment is because I needed to take a break from OF after the OFBP 32 barrels taste off.

Living through you on this one!!!

Does it lose or gain at the higher proofs?

I like the 1920 but the SiB 100 really blew it away...

Edited by bayouredd

44 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

Living through you on this one!!!

Does it lose or gain at the higher proofs?

I like the 1920 but the SiB 100 really blew it away...

It definitely can gain when it hits the right flavor profile. Some of them were more barrel influenced and while very good did not shine as much as the ones that had a sweeter profile.

To me the OF100 varies from the OF house style which is odd because the BIB's or base level 100 proofers are usually the ones we go to for house style.

When I have one open it does not last long. I'm about ready to dive back in.

• I like it 2

Opened up a Stellum Bourbon that arrived in the mail earlier.  Really digging it - a blend that includes some MGP high rye, along with an almost 'all corn' mashbill, and barrels from Kentucky and TN.  The Dickel notes are there on the nose, along with caramel, oak, some citrus notes and baking spices.  The palate was a lovely surprise, with vanilla, honey, milk chocolate, clove, cinnamon, and some tart berries.  The mingling of different distilleries/mashbills creates a really nice pour (oh, and of course cask strength - and I'd bet NCF although that's not confirmed).  

IMG_20210428_184317.thumb.jpg.30931ebb7d58e5a5d03c60c84e2c03e6.jpg

• I like it 1

On 4/27/2021 at 4:45 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I’ve been working on some very low fill bottles lately. MM 46 is one of those, and it’s currently in my glass.

I remember when 46 1st hit streets.  It was exciting times with wood (etc) experimentation to mimic age.  Makers idea of adding staves got me excited.  I found it did offer more wood taste but did not give added complexity.  I like it.

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

I remember when 46 1st hit streets.  It was exciting times with wood (etc) experimentation to mimic age.  Makers idea of adding staves got me excited.  I found it did offer more wood taste but did not give added complexity.  I like it.

I remember when MM first came out with the news that they were working on a new product. After the news broke, they sent emails to MM Ambassadors, (which I’ve been  since 2007 or 2008) and they solicited Ambassadors to come up with a name for their new bourbon. My suggestion was Maker’s Mark, Mark II. I guess they didn’t like that name as much as I did. 🤔

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Yet another long day at work. Sitting on my back patio with a pour of my 2021 Weller Blend. There’s a breeze blowing, and the birds are singing. Ahhhh, life’s simple pleasures. 😎

Biba! Joe

• I like it 7

Another Weller drinker this evening as well.  My FP bottle is getting low, so it is on the target list for emptying next.

• I like it 5

In anticipation of the derby this weekend, I’ve been drinking a lot of these... from my all time favorite julep recipe!😉

Perfect Mint Julep recipe!

“Pluck the mint gently from its bed, just as the dew of the evening is about to form on it. Select the choicer sprigs only, but do not rinse them. Prepare the simple syrup and measure out a half-tumbler of whiskey. Pour the whiskey into a well-frosted silver cup, throw the other ingredients away, and drink the whiskey.”
Mint julep recipe attributed to Henry Watterson (1840-1921), Pulitzer Prize-winning editor of The Louisville Courier-Journal, and a Bourbon Babe Kentucky Derby tradition

• I like it 8

I did a happy hour with a few coworkers last night and had a very reasonably priced pour of Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare each.  

• I like it 2

Picked up this JDBP last weekend and every pour has simply been mind blowing.  Everything I love about this whiskey is amplified in this bottle.    This is just friggin’ fantastic.  🥰

71CC9703-0785-4B92-95E1-93D61893DCA3.jpeg

• I like it 6

I’m going to knock this bottle out this weekend, well, try to... I think I’m going to keep the bottle out and do some kind of blend in it. Any suggestions are welcome for the blending. I have never tried a Turkey blend, might do that. 
BA1E10E4-0269-4E44-ACFE-3B5DEEC96729.thumb.jpeg.09ee876c6453021c0147d37b5f3dcda5.jpeg

• I like it 1

I finally found a bottle of Dickel 9 year old. I've had a couple pours, and I have to say I'm not impressed. It's not terrible.... just unimpressive. I much prefer the Dickel 12 over it.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Picked up this JDBP last weekend and every pour has simply been mind blowing.  Everything I love about this whiskey is amplified in this bottle.    This is just friggin’ fantastic.  🥰

71CC9703-0785-4B92-95E1-93D61893DCA3.jpeg

I heartily agree.  Way better than what one normally expects from Jack.  It's pricey in my neck o' wood, but will get another bottle or 3.

• I like it 1

planning a tour of 50 percenter - 100 proofers tonight.  Started with Old Tub and CEHT.  Old Tube seems more earthy tonight.  CEHT seems more incredible tonight, and going to have to apply effort to stay the course with more selections rather than hanging with CEHT all night.  But the fun part, was sipping on back deck in high wind and had to use cover glass, 1st time in a year used a cover glass.  Could not nose, wind too fast.  Other day wind not as bad but stuff kept getting blown into Glencairn, no telling but might have found racoon in my drink if not using the cover glass.  

edit: though 101, I just put fantastic eagle rare 17 2019 into mix.  I've no idea where to take my 100 proofer tour next

Edited by B.B. Babington
  • I like it 3

Picked up a standard Buffalo Trace on sale today for $18.  While I have had a few store selects since then, I probably haven't had a standard BT since probably 2013 or 14.   I have been seeing it around a lot more recently so I thought I would give it a go.  

I have always enjoyed BT #1 mashbill but found BT to be lacking OC, ER, CEHT, and GTS.  I am finding this to be a very enjoyable pour.  I guess I might just have to have another while I watch the NFL draft.  I wish I would have opted for the 1.75 L bottle which I could have bought for 30% off.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.