What Bourbon are you Drinking - Spring (2Q) 2021

StarSurfer55
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

ECBP A120 proofed down to 102.45 while sitting outside watching little Whammie. 

20210430_201532.jpg

• I like it 5

29 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Celebrating the power being restored!

20210430_205527.jpg

Whoa, this looks sweet. Is this easy to find?

On 4/28/2021 at 4:27 PM, flahute said:

It definitely can gain when it hits the right flavor profile. Some of them were more barrel influenced and while very good did not shine as much as the ones that had a sweeter profile.

To me the OF100 varies from the OF house style which is odd because the BIB's or base level 100 proofers are usually the ones we go to for house style.

When I have one open it does not last long. I'm about ready to dive back in.

Similar to you, it has to be my most consumed bourbon over the past year.  The price and enjoyment make it an easy drinker.  It replaced WT101 which was probably my most consumed bourbon the prior year.  Personally I find OF100 much more enjoyable than OF1920.  I just picked up my first Statesmen to see if I enjoy a 95 proof version presumably with a premium barrel selection.  I do enjoy OF 1920 but I can no longer justify the price difference given the current profile of OF100.  I can find OF100 for $18 regular but rarely see OF1910 below $50.

• I like it 3

I might need to explore this different OF interactions.  I'm enamored with higher proof 1920 but maybe missing the boat?

1 hour ago, LvR Mike said:

Whoa, this looks sweet. Is this easy to find?

Not sure.

I've never really looked for it around here, (Baltimore metro area).  I stopped at a Virginia ABC store, and they had one bottle on the shelf, so I bought it.

I rarely drink, or buy,  regular MM, but I like the 101 and their cask strength offerings.  I've never seen, or even knew, that they had a 46 cask strength.

It's really good, but I prefer the regular MM cask strength.  I'll revisit it later.

3 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

Old Tube seems more earthy tonight. 

There's a joke in there somewhere but nope, not going there 🤭

• I like it 6

A double of Smooth Ambler Contradiction was my only pour tonight. The bottle was gifted to me, otherwise I probably wouldn’t have checked it out. Its actually pretty good though. I thought the nose was really enjoyable; I don’t smoke cigars, but I enjoy the smell of a good one, and the nose reminded me of just that. Palate certainly more dry than sweet, but pretty complex, with a good amount of wood flavor and bit of brown sugar on the finish. I may pick up another at some point if it stays stocked at my local. 

And it occurred to me it might be my first ever four grain bourbon — save for my infinity bottle (doesn’t really count) and an attempt at GW4G blend a few years ago. Makes me interested to try some others.

Happy Friday!

Edited by BigSkyDrams

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Similar to you, it has to be my most consumed bourbon over the past year.  The price and enjoyment make it an easy drinker.  It replaced WT101 which was probably my most consumed bourbon the prior year.  Personally I find OF100 much more enjoyable than OF1920.  I just picked up my first Statesmen to see if I enjoy a 95 proof version presumably with a premium barrel selection.  I do enjoy OF 1920 but I can no longer justify the price difference given the current profile of OF100.  I can find OF100 for $18 regular but rarely see OF1910 below $50.

Both the 1920 and 1910 are consistently closer to $70 in my area, so $50 would be a steal for me. But $18 for OF100 is hard for ANYTHING to beat from a value perspective.

• I like it 4

And speaking of it, I'm enjoying some OF 100 right now.

Next time they redesign the package, I hope the metal screw cap goes away.  The short oddly shaped bottle neck and metal screw cap can be awkward.

• I like it 1

Earlier in the evening, I had a couple pours of WTRB Rye. Switching it up, lowering the proof. But staying with a high rye & staying in the community of  Lawrenceburg.  4R SiB 100. A little thin compared to the NCF of WTRB Rye, but it definitely holds up. There is just something about that town.  ;-))

Cheers

• I like it 2

Whew last night the wife and I attended a wedding out in Sturbridge MA. The open bar had some small batch 4R and I brought a flask of Willet 7 year rye Loch and Key pick. So I was set. 😬

• I like it 5

Pulling weeds. First 4RYL freezer pour of the year! Ahhhhhhh

B05D79E7-74CD-4486-81E3-B9B9B55DBA86.jpeg

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
Picture!
  • I like it 7

What else?  On Derby Day all else is sacrilege!

E6827DAD-3044-4BC4-A0B1-6178CF776AE4.jpeg

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Whew last night the wife and I attended a wedding out in Sturbridge MA. The open bar had some small batch 4R and I brought a flask of Willet 7 year rye Loch and Key pick. So I was set. 😬

I’ve had people question me before on why I would bring a flask to a wedding when there’s an open bar, but it seems like a no brainer to me: just because it’s an open bar doesn’t mean the bourbon will be any good! 4RSmB is a solid offering for a wedding though; even so, good on ya being prepared with the Willet!

• I like it 3

Killed my CEHT SmB tonight. I’m really nursing it because it is super on point with my palate this evening, and it will probably be a good while until I can find another at reasonable price. I’ve got some CEHT barrel proof stocked though, in case I get desperate in the meantime. 

I am an OF fan but have never had OF Statesman mostly because of the price but it seemed a little cheesy since it was released along with the Kingsman movie.  However, after several posts by @smokinjoe, I have been wanting to give it a try.  I got a bottle for a very good price so I grabbed a bottle yesterday.  It is a very good iteration of Old Forester.   My initial impression is that I prefer it over OF100, OF1910, and OF1920.  It is more complex than OF100. 

Similar to MM101 and MMCS, I believe the profile is better than I can proof down to from OF1920 or even OF100.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

I’ve got some CEHT barrel proof stocked though, in case I get desperate in the meantime. 

That's the one to drink anyway.  Enjoy those.

• I like it 1

45 minutes ago, Kepler said:

That's the one to drink anyway.  Enjoy those.

For sure. I’ve been telling myself to wait to open it for a special occasion... But next weekend might just have to be a special occasion. 😆

• I like it 2

I'm having some JTS Brown.  I would describe it as liquid Cracker Jack. 🙂

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, BigSkyDrams said:

For sure. I’ve been telling myself to wait to open it for a special occasion... But next weekend might just have to be a special occasion. 😆

Just make next weekend a special occasion. You're in control of your own destiny.

Besides, ... hell ... cracking open a new EHT Barrel Proof IS a special occasion 😉

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

I'm having some JTS Brown.  I would describe it as liquid Cracker Jack. 🙂

I love Cracker Jacks, I've got to get me a bottle of JTS Brown!  Thanks for the analogy. 

Cheers

Sipp'n on Blanton's, that I opened up to celebrate The Derby and a return of fans to  "the most exciting 2 minutes in sports."  

While enjoying my Blanton's, I have another form of racing on the tube, F1 qualifying.

Racing, with a few more horses. 😏

P.S. bottle is pretty good. Very tasty 

Cheers

• I like it 4

Whoa.  The site just upgraded to a new view?  Either that, or else this RHF has something in it other than just alcohol, Lol ...

5 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Whoa.  The site just upgraded to a new view?  Either that, or else this RHF has something in it other than just alcohol, Lol ...

👀

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.