What Bourbon are you Drinking - Spring (2Q) 2021

StarSurfer55
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

Whoa.  The site just upgraded to a new view?  Either that, or else this RHF has something in it other than just alcohol, Lol ...

7 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

👀

Partial lineup from Friday night.  I really miss the old EC12.  It was fantastic.

20210430_212014.jpg

20210430_212009.jpg

• I like it 5

6 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Ahh now I see that I must have inadvertently touched the night time setting icon on the site page. Small touchscreens and whiskey not always the best combination lol...

• I like it 1

On 5/1/2021 at 12:21 AM, PaulO said:

And speaking of it, I'm enjoying some OF 100 right now.

Next time they redesign the package, I hope the metal screw cap goes away.  The short oddly shaped bottle neck and metal screw cap can be awkward.

Then they'll raise the price😉

• I like it 1

After a day of picking up a trailer load of landscape blocks and laying them, the "Sunday night ritual" started a bit early tonight. It will be a sad day when these 12 year age stated bottles are gone. 

20210502_192333.jpg

• I like it 6

53 minutes ago, Clueby said:

After a day of picking up a trailer load of landscape blocks and laying them, the "Sunday night ritual" started a bit early tonight. It will be a sad day when these 12 year age stated bottles are gone. 

20210502_192333.jpg

Ha, and you tease me about balancing bottles on the edge.

Mine could just fall.

Your's could drown.

finishing the last of the pours for our sunday night virtual blind tasting. I sent them out, and, somewhat surprisingly, the other 4 tasters were unanimous in their ranking:

1- JDSBBP

2- RRSiB store pick

3- ECBP C920

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, steven s said:

finishing the last of the pours for our sunday night virtual blind tasting. I sent them out, and, somewhat surprisingly, the other 4 tasters were unanimous in their ranking:

1- JDSBBP

2- RRSiB store pick

3- ECBP C920

That does not surprise me at all.    

I tell everyone that will listen, that the JDSBBP is one of the best bargains out there for cask-strength whiskey.   We did an SBS, that included GTS, and some tasters picked the JD, over the Stagg.

If Beam was selling this quality, MSRP would be North of $100.00

I don't know why, (but I'm happy about it), but for whatever reason, people seem to overlook this juice.   

• I like it 2

JDSBBP is still $56.99 OTD here.  Just picked up another for The Bunker - you never know . . . .. .  😉

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 4

Had a crawfish boil on Saturday...

My lineup was:

Freezer OWA

Single pour of PH Heavy Char 10yr Bourbon

Finished a pour of Willet 4yr Rye that was a bit much for one of the ladies that said she liked licorice

Back to the OWA

I mixed Sazeracs for the Lovely Ladies using Sazerac Rye.

They kept asking for more soooo...

It must have been a good party, because the litmus test results were:

5 Toasty Ladies hooping it up in my gazebo (very entertaining)

4 broken glasses

3 utilized designated drivers

2 not needing drivers (spent the night here)

1 tired old man left to clean up the mess

Ahh Monday Morning break in the action. Work release program giving me a break...

• I like it 10

Fair day at work today, especially for a Monday. WTF? 🤔  After work I ran a few errands. When I finally got home, I decided to have a couple of pours of ER. 😋 Yep! 😁

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

Decided to enjoy some 4R SiB this evening.  
I got a call from my old bosses boss asking what it would take to get me back.  I told him he was about a month late on April Fools Day.

I told him to make me an obscene offer and he wouldn’t hear an obscene answer.  🤐

• I like it 9

Some ETBIB along with a cigar while on a business trip in Texas. ETBIB has got hard to find back home so I had to mule back a few bottles. Great Stuff.

IMG_2881.jpg

• I like it 3

Doing SBS of 50/50  & 60/40- BT/StaggJr to see what I like best for my blend...

and the winner is... Neither

40% Jr took away too much flavor. 50% just wasn't it so I opted for

6 parts BT to 5 parts Jr. gets me 109.2 proof. I believe it to be better than the store pick BT as well as the batch 14 Jr.

Edited by bayouredd
  • I like it 1

Breaking my "no alcohol during the week rule" with a pour of WTRB...

• I like it 1

Also on the Wild Turkey bandwagon tonight with some WT101.

One silver lining from all the rain clouds here has been washing away the pollen, allowing me to enjoy a bit of whiskey again. Springbank 10 yesterday and Maker's Mark 101 tonight. Hope the allergies stay at bay.

• I like it 3

Pregame.

I’m going to dedicate tonight’s drinking to @fishnbowljoe for without him there would be no Weller ladders to climb.

Maybe it’s because WSR on ice with Orange bitters is a favorite summer drink of mine, but this just smells like summer. Light caramel with soft Weller fruit notes. Today it’s peaches. Thin on the palate bordering on watery, but a nice pleasant finish that does linger.  

Not a bad pour, but the new $30 MSRP comes with some major competition at a much lower cost. Verdict, one to keep around for Weller Ladders or over ice on a hot day.  Will replace when empty. 

4600F2AA-A557-49C7-B557-2FE5C80F23C9.jpeg

• I like it 6

33 minutes ago, TehRegion219 said:

Is that a recent pick of Wsr?

No. Laser code starts L18 which seams about right. I have not shopped there for some time. 

Weller 12. Tasting pretty fine tonight. Deep compared to the WSR. Fuller. Milk caramel and red berries. Silky. Much longer finish with some oak.

A well rounded pour. Would have made an amazing daily drinker before the boom. 

17276867-9BB6-46BB-9051-3FA373857FBB.jpeg

• I like it 6

Not usually a, "finished in xx barrels" guy but I got curious.

And, surprise surprise, I was not a fan of this when I opened it a week ago. It is starting to become a little bit more palatable to me now but I'm struggling to drink enough of it to allow it to fully breathe with more liquid gone.

I feel like wine finished, port finished, sherry finished, etc whisk(e)y's, it smells and taste musty like dirty gym socks. Trying to get over that but this journey sucks man.

AB76FDCA-3484-432A-BFA5-1EABFEBB2B14.jpeg

2 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Weller 12. Tasting pretty fine tonight. Deep compared to the WSR. Fuller. Milk caramel and red berries. Silky. Much longer finish with some oak.

A well rounded pour. Would have made an amazing daily drinker before the boom. 

Bingo, great point and you get it.  This is in the context where W12 gained its reputation.  Seems like it's become fashionable for newbies whose only research has been recent social media to bash it just because it doesn’t live up to their unicorn dreams and the Benjamin note they've naively dropped to get a bottle.

Weller 12 is such a fine and balanced bourbon.  Still the best nose of any sub-50 dollar straight bourbon that I can think of.

Edited by Kepler
typo
  • I like it 5

9 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

Not usually a, "finished in xx barrels" guy but I got curious.

And, surprise surprise, I was not a fan of this when I opened it a week ago. It is starting to become a little bit more palatable to me now but I'm struggling to drink enough of it to allow it to fully breathe with more liquid gone.

I feel like wine finished, port finished, sherry finished, etc whisk(e)y's, it smells and taste musty like dirty gym socks. Trying to get over that but this journey sucks man.

AB76FDCA-3484-432A-BFA5-1EABFEBB2B14.jpeg

This bottle has been open since 2018 if that tells you anything-- I even brought it home for my wife to kill off and she sent it back to the shop with me after a taste.

IMG_6075.thumb.jpg.08140ec2bd2a56e9d28de008f098a8d7.jpg

Last warmup from the Weller ladder last night. Final installment will be over in the tasting thread.

W107. Just continued the trend of richer and fuller viscosity and amplified flavors. A little cinnamon spice creeps in. I tried a killer SiB pick of this a few weeks ago and it’s clear the standard offering is very good but much less dynamic. 

I generally prefer W107 to W12, but not tonight. That was the undercard winner for me last night. 

8B35A443-3C88-41F8-9818-D13C335F4B91.jpeg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.