What bourbon did you purchase today (Spring 2021)

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Some great stuff there.  I rarely drink scotch anymore, but do love the Yamazaki.  Is it just the perspective but the one on the left looks larger than the one on the right.  Also different boxes??

Good eye, Ben - the Yamazaki 18 on the left is an unopened bottle from 2016 that I found in The Bunker during inventory and the one on the right is from yesterday's haul.  Both 750s tho'.  The 2 Hibiki 17s (new bottles and boxes) came with the WSR.  Tried to keep the post on topic (heh, heh) - at least my thread drift was about whisky and NOT beer . . . . . . .  😠

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

12 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Bought a WSR @ $34.99 OTD for filling the GW4G decanter, but passed on a WA107 @ $59.99 OTD - needed a couple of other bottles of whisky!   😇

WSR and Stuff.jpg

nice japanese scores!! Love that Hibiki!!!

Edited by steven s
  • I like it 2

22 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Good eye, Ben - the Yamazaki 18 on the left is an unopened bottle from 2016 that I found in The Bunker during inventory and the one on the right is from yesterday's haul.  Both 750s tho'.  The 2 Hibiki 17s (new bottles and boxes) came with the WSR.  Tried to keep the post on topic (heh, heh) - at least my thread drift was about whisky and NOT beer . . . . . . .  😠

I want to grow up and find forgotten Yamazaki 18 in my bunker!  3-4 years ago I saw 2 each of Hibiki 17 and 21 on the shelf for $150 and $250 respectively.  I did not purchase and real time Ben is none to pleased with past Ben.

Beer pictures in the bourbon thread a pet peeve? :) 

7 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Beer pictures in the bourbon thread a pet peeve? :) 

What was your first clue?????   😣

After clearing out some space by finishing off some rare and fancy whiskies the past few weeks; I got an itch to do a bit of bunker busting.  I had to move a bunch of boxes, our hoard of covid-TP, and some camping gear to get to the bunker's colon.  

Here, I found what I was looking for; many of the bottom-middle shelf whiskies I over-bought in my early bunkering exuberance.  I've been wanting to get down into here and do some bottle clearance, and I had to scramble over an embarrassment of riches to get to these.  

If this represents the worst of my "bunker clunkers", then I'm really doing quite well.  

I love forgetting what's down there and then being pleasantly surprised when I come across the gems I've squirreled away.  

So, brought up from the bunker for their 15 minutes of fame are some lovely bottles I've not tried in a few years: 

1. Mellow F'in Corn: from State Line before this was available in CT.  Two bottles brought up and a few remain boxed.  Don't need to hoard this now that it is everywhere around here! 

2. Medley Bros Heritage Collection: another gem first found at State Line.  Ultimately just a good value HH? product available amongst a variety of cats and dogs.  Two bottles up and a few remain.  

3. Virgin Bourbon 7y: now NAS, I brought one of these AS beauties up to compare to the Medley and the OE7; ya know, for science! One of my favorite sub-$20 HH bottles.  

4. Old Ezra 7y: This bottling is now discoed; but I grabbed two when they were still around.  Not a big OE fan, but want to try this alongside the VB7.  

5. Old Forester Rye: Grabbed a case of the "first run" of this when it was originally released.  Brought up a couple since it's still widely available.  Six OGs left.  

6. 1792 BIB SiB PS: This one has caramel up to 11.  I'm not a huge Barton fan, but this is quite good and was my buddy's selection.  Still 4 left.  

7. BT "baby bourbon": My first, and still favorite, BT SiB.  So smooth, sweet, and gentle.  Gifted to celebrate my homies third baby and the name stuck.  

8. Henry McKenna BIB 10y: Another HH product to add to the comparative tasting to commence in 2021.  Probably another case of this down there, all with screw caps bought at $30 before it moved to Taterville.   

9. JB DC: This one had to come up so that I could actually remove a case box from my bunker.  I haven't actually removed a case since, well never!  Only a few of these left, going to miss them when they're gone.  So good, 'nuff said; easily my favorite JB-branded JB product.   

Best part was adding $400 of bottles to the shelf without spending another dime.  

Going to sip a few of these to remind me of how smart I was to hoard them all when I did.  

Prost!  

Edited by Guss West
  • I like it 7

Summers gettin close! Grabbed my first 4R handle of the year. The OF were on sale and had a rebate so that was an easy decision.  

91AFA2EC-17E6-4D0D-91B1-6227ABAFBC1B.jpeg

• I like it 6

Liked the 1792 I had gotten awhile back so I got another one, when up behind the counter at one of my usual stops there were a couple bottles of Henry McKenna BIB SB 10yr...$45 now up from $32, but I had to get one. Left the other for someone else to discover...haven't seen any in months...

• I like it 1

A question for all SB'ers:  are "mail call" purchases legit retail (msrp purchases from licensed retailers)?  Or are they secondary price purchases?  This is a sincere and honest question from me, because I live in Texas and because of state laws, I observe that "mail call"  (at least on Facebook groups here) usually means secondary purchases here. 

I picked up a PS single barrel pick of Elijah Craig today.  Added to the bunker, looking forward to trying it soon

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

A question for all SB'ers:  are "mail call" purchases legit retail (msrp purchases from licensed retailers)?  Or are they secondary price purchases?  This is a sincere and honest question from me, because I live in Texas and because of state laws, I observe that "mail call"  (at least on Facebook groups here) usually means secondary purchases here. 

"Don't know nuthin' 'bout no 'Mail Call' purchases, Wallace!"   😉

Since Masters of Malt, Dekanta, and other International firms have stopped shipping to the US, I haven't collected many "Mail Call" packages in recent times.  Any bottles that come by mail are personal swaps arranged by legal means (PM) with friends and fellow whisk(e)y afficianados.  I haven't acquired sufficient wealth or desire to even look at (let alone participate in) the "secomdary" market.  That just ain't kosher or legal . . . .  😠

And I've been blessed with a lot of friends and fellow whisk(e)y afficianados (almost exclusively SB.com'ers), as well as a ton o'luck (did you know that the O'Ching family is Irish?) in the last few years' lotteries.  😅 

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

I’ve always wondered this myself. I know there are a few places that do ship, but I’m not sure what states allow it (I thought shipping any alcohol was a no, no). If it’s some sort of unicorn bottle (the bar is pretty low nowadays 😂) or dusty bottle, that its secondary. 

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

In my case they are often legit retail purchases  below(on sale) / at / or slightly above MSRP  from online merchants.

Sometimes I find that it is easier to get what I want through the mail rather than spending a lot of time and energy over multiple days hunting local.

A small number of purchases have been secondary, and a slightly larger number than that come from occasional trading.

Seems like over the past few years, the laws keep changing, and the number of retailers that are allowed to ship spirits to my state keeps decreasing.

• I like it 4

I live in Texas and still order online from certain retailers from time to time. I just assumed mail call was a legit online order from a place that ships to an individual’s respective state.

On 4/24/2021 at 1:17 AM, Kepler said:

I have only paid secondary on maybe a handful of bottles... The pic I posted were all from online retailers except the Stagg JR which was a trade for a Bombergers 

On 4/24/2021 at 5:08 AM, GeeTen said:

as well as a ton o'luck (did you know that the O'Ching family is Irish?)

🤣

Good feedback from several about mail call, I was always wondering.  Sounds like it pretty much runs the gamut.

• I like it 1

On 4/16/2021 at 3:14 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

I just picked up the CR Rye on a whim as well, and am very curious.  I have a good college friend who was a big fan of that Northern Harvest Rye that won Whiskey of the Year a few years back.  Current plan is to open with and/or gift to him at next possible occasion.  Im curious about this one.  

just saw this...

The CR 16 yr rye is similar to the NHR - very fruit forward. But much more complex  - the fruit is more like the stewed variety. But surprisingly, its not that oaky. Too cold way up there for 16 yrs the make this woody?

• I like it 2

Visiting family in VA, and hit an ABC store.  Maker's 46 Cask Strength Limited Edition.  I've always liked MM, but I love their cask strength offerings.  At $59.99, I may have overpaid a little bit, but it was the last bottle and I really want to try it.  

• I like it 2

52 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I may have overpaid a little bit, but it was the last bottle and I really want to try it.  

Absolutely nothing wrong with this!  

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.