What bourbon did you purchase today (Spring 2021)

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7 hours ago, flahute said:

I should clarify my statement.

When BT and ER10 are on profile, I still really like them a lot. When EHT is on profile, I love it. I still like Weller.

The problem is availability and quality control on BT and ER10, availability, price, and quality control on EHT, and needing to be a snake charmer to even see much less purchase a bottle of Weller.

If and when these issues improve I will re-embrace BT. Until then there is much that I like as much or more for less money and no hassle in comparison. Zen as we like to say.

You are a BT original so the fact that you can still mostly get what you want at the price you want and it still appeals to your palate makes me happy.

I purchased my first bottle of standard BT in years a few months back and really enjoyed it.  Prior to that it had probably been almost 10 years since I had purchased a bottle of BT.  Similar to you, the most recent bottles of ER and Blanton's that I purchased, including store picks, were average.  I have passed on ER the last few times I have seen it on the shelf. 

This said, I will probably grab a bottle of BT soon to give it another go to see if my impression is still positive.  If the price is right, I would probably jump on a bottle of Blanton's, Stagg Jr. or any iteration of Weller, if I were to see one in my area.  The last time I saw any of these on the shelf, not including my accidental WL12 purchase, was probably 5 years ago.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

9 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

You guys are killin’ me. 😬 I understand though.

To each their own. That’s part of what keeps things fun and interesting here. I know everyone’s tastes and preferences differ. I’m not really a fan of WT and FR stuff. Sometimes that makes me feel like the odd man out. 🤔 FWIW, I’ve kinda settled into a rotation of BT products, MM products, BIB’s (my HH BIB Blend mainly), and an occasional odd bottle or two. Hey, it’s all good! 😁

Biba! Joe

Joe, early on I was a big fan of Weller and mash bill #2 brands (ETL, RHFAA 10 year).  We know what's happened with those.

I think the standard BT Bourbon is OK - not very complicated, a little sweet.  I actually like it better than ER.  In the past, some bottles of ER smelled musty, like rotting wood, damp basement, or pond water.  I gave up on ER.

A pour from a friend's CEHT B.I.B. was enough for me.  It tasted like orange peel and metal.

I bought the first bottle of SJR I saw, when it was relatively new.  It tasted like cheap well liquor bottled at a really high proof.  It tasted even hotter than the proof on the label.  For $50, WTF, did no one taste any before they bottled it.  And it's a batched product, can't just say an off single barrel.

So that's part of my journey.  I'm with you on the MM and HH bonded brands for sure.  

• I like it 1

I posted once that BT doesn't excite me much, mashbill 1 or 2.  They just don't seem to mesh with my palette.  This was based on buying BT, Eagle Rare, and Hancock.  BUT, I had not tried some of their heavier hitters, nor their wheated expressions. 

That changed yesterday at a whiskey bar where I sampled GT Stagg, Stagg Jr (batch 12), and Weller Special Reserve.  I had intended to try the 3 Van Winkles on their menu (the youngest 3), but Covid has impacted their supply chain so they were not in stock.  The good news is that while I liked the  Stagg offerings--and their nose and palette were nowhere near as hot as their proofs would have suggested--I find ECBP or even OF 1920 to be more flavorful, so I don't have to ever worry about chasing the former or paying triple retail.

The bad news is that I liked the Weller, so I will have to include those on my wish list, and am anxious to try their other expressions but they are rare and expensive in CA. 

• I like it 5

In 2019 I whittled the bunker down from around 150 bottles to 60 to 70. In 2020 it was down to 3 to 4. I added 2 to the fold yesterday and my total bottle count is 3. The zen is in!

FBF07248-808E-4D20-9EA9-1A4A3F8EDC8E.jpeg

• I like it 11

10 hours ago, IamMatt said:

I posted once that BT doesn't excite me much, mashbill 1 or 2.  They just don't seem to mesh with my palette.  This was based on buying BT, Eagle Rare, and Hancock.  BUT, I had not tried some of their heavier hitters, nor their wheated expressions. 

That changed yesterday at a whiskey bar where I sampled GT Stagg, Stagg Jr (batch 12), and Weller Special Reserve.  I had intended to try the 3 Van Winkles on their menu (the youngest 3), but Covid has impacted their supply chain so they were not in stock.  The good news is that while I liked the  Stagg offerings--and their nose and palette were nowhere near as hot as their proofs would have suggested--I find ECBP or even OF 1920 to be more flavorful, so I don't have to ever worry about chasing the former or paying triple retail.

The bad news is that I liked the Weller, so I will have to include those on my wish list, and am anxious to try their other expressions but they are rare and expensive in CA. 

I hope you tried to WSR first otherwise you might not have enjoyed its true nuances.  GTS and Stagg Jr. are stellar.

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I hope you tried to WSR first otherwise you might not have enjoyed its true nuances.  GTS and Stagg Jr. are stellar.

I did.  Weller first, then SBS with Woodford, then the Staggs.  I was impressed with Weller's smoothness and viscosity, it would be a good introductory easy sipper for someone to start a bourbon journey.

Just did a quick write-up about this distillery, but figured I'd post a couple pics here as well.

Picked these up from Dragonfyre Distillery...

IMG_20210717_203141833.jpg

IMG_20210717_203207132.jpg

Shortly after arriving at our vacation destination near Daytona, FL last evening I went to the nearest package store for necessities. I brought a bottle of bourbon from home but walked down the aisle anyway. Nothing of interest so I grabbed everything else and headed to the register. While waiting for 2 guys ahead of me to complete their $500+ purchase I happened to notice a single bottle of ETL sitting atop a safe behind the counter. Fully expecting some unacceptable response I asked how much. The guy behind the counter said, "I don't know. Let's find out". He scanned the bottle and announced, "44.95". Me: "Yes, please". Considerably more than the last bottle I purchased but I haven't seen one in the wild in years and WTH, I'm on vacation. Cheers. 

• I like it 8

14 hours ago, tsangster said:

Shortly after arriving at our vacation destination near Daytona, FL last evening I went to the nearest package store for necessities. I brought a bottle of bourbon from home but walked down the aisle anyway. Nothing of interest so I grabbed everything else and headed to the register. While waiting for 2 guys ahead of me to complete their $500+ purchase I happened to notice a single bottle of ETL sitting atop a safe behind the counter. Fully expecting some unacceptable response I asked how much. The guy behind the counter said, "I don't know. Let's find out". He scanned the bottle and announced, "44.95". Me: "Yes, please". Considerably more than the last bottle I purchased but I haven't seen one in the wild in years and WTH, I'm on vacation. Cheers. 

right place!  right time!

• I like it 1

On 7/16/2021 at 3:13 PM, flahute said:

I should clarify my statement.

When BT and ER10 are on profile, I still really like them a lot. When EHT is on profile, I love it. I still like Weller.

The problem is availability and quality control on BT and ER10, availability, price, and quality control on EHT, and needing to be a snake charmer to even see much less purchase a bottle of Weller.

If and when these issues improve I will re-embrace BT. Until then there is much that I like as much or more for less money and no hassle in comparison. Zen as we like to say.

You are a BT original so the fact that you can still mostly get what you want at the price you want and it still appeals to your palate makes me happy.

I'm not trying to kiss your ass Steve but I think you really nailed the real "problem" with Buffalo Trace today.  It's like what happened to Cuban cigars.  There is no tobacco in the world that tastes like Cuban leaf.  But as popularity and distribution exploded, they couldn't keep up with quality at the same time prices skyrocketed and availability went tight. Sound familiar?  Yeah, when you get a good Habano, they are great.  But they have so many issues with consistency and quality control for the last 10+ years that I'm not paying those type of prices to roll the dice.  Wild Turkey 101 and a $8 AB Prensado and I'm just fine.  After so many years frustration, the Blanton's/Habano Cohiba combo glory shot leaves with no FOMO at this point.   Who knows how meh that bottle is and how many tobacco beetles are in the cigar. 

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

I'm not trying to kiss your ass Steve but I think you really nailed the real "problem" with Buffalo Trace today.  It's like what happened to Cuban cigars.  There is no tobacco in the world that tastes like Cuban leaf.  But as popularity and distribution exploded, they couldn't keep up with quality at the same time prices skyrocketed and availability went tight. Sound familiar?  Yeah, when you get a good Habano, they are great.  But they have so many issues with consistency and quality control for the last 10+ years that I'm not paying those type of prices to roll the dice.  Wild Turkey 101 and a $8 AB Prensado and I'm just fine.  After so many years frustration, the Blanton's/Habano Cohiba combo glory shot leaves with no FOMO at this point.   Who knows how meh that bottle is and how many tobacco beetles are in the cigar. 

Geez Rich, you need to lighten up and tell us how you REALLY feel!   🤣

"Blanton's/Cohiba combo glory shot" - a classic for the ages IMHO.  🥰

I think I need some bourbon, sooner rather than later . . . . . . .

• I like it 2

On 7/16/2021 at 2:22 PM, WhiskeyProposition said:

The kicker is, I'm visiting in NY and go back to Dallas in a couple of days. So I'm keeping this sealed for its ride home in the suitcase. Never seen it around Dallas so not sure if it's a 'grab it while I can' situation..... 

On 7/16/2021 at 9:22 PM, mbroo5880i said:

If you like the 1792 profile and it is within your budget, you might consider picking up another bottle if you rarely or never see it in your area.   Under $50 is a good price.  

I will leave my personal preferences aside since it really doesn't matter to you.  A second bottle of the Full Proof would give you one of each that you open when you get home to sample and evaluate and one of each for your bunker that you can open sometime in the future.   

I agree with mbroo.  If the 1792FP is at retail price (under $50 in Texas) go ahead and pick up another bottle. It's a very good value at that price and even if it's not your favorite it's still solid and you will not be out much money.  But don't pay markup prices for it.   To me it's not worth that. 

Edited by Kepler
fat finger typo

14 hours ago, BigRich said:

Just happy to know that this thought resonates with others!

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, flahute said:

Just happy to know that this thought resonates with others!

It resonates here.

I have a lot of happy memories from the early 2000s, buying Weller or ETL.

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

I agree with mbroo.  If the 1792FP is at retail price (under $50 in Texas) go ahead and pick up another bottle. It's a very good value at that price and even if it's not your favorite it's still solid and you will not be out much money.  But don't pay markup prices for it.   To me it's not worth that. 

It looks like it's not too difficult to find where I was at in NY, so I'll try the bottle I bought and go from there. 

21 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Geez Rich, you need to lighten up and tell us how you REALLY feel!   🤣

"Blanton's/Cohiba combo glory shot" - a classic for the ages IMHO.  🥰

I think I need some bourbon, sooner rather than later . . . . . . .

I'm a Cancer Frank.  I feel deeply.

• I like it 2

Plus, I've been doing this too long and been burned too many times to put up with that kind of bullshit anymore.  

• I like it 5

On 7/20/2021 at 5:57 AM, BigRich said:

Plus, I've been doing this too long and been burned too many times to put up with that kind of bullshit anymore.  

Amen.

3 more KC12 today as the drop in the local market continues. Getting well stocked up for when the dry period begins again.

• I like it 2

Got the OK from the doctor and "kitchen clearance" from SWMBO to try driving short distances yesterday morning.  So, after making sure I could operate the accelerator and the brake with the new knee, I hit 3 different stores to pick up sone stuff.

2021 OF 8yr BiB and RR13.jpg

Yikes - prices gone up on the OF 8yr BIB and allocations down.  RR13 still great at $70 OTD.  Picking up a couple bottles of Michter's 10 rye from the "Live Free or Die" state on Sunday for a "friend."  That's getting bloody expensive as well.  😡

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 11

13 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Got the OK from the doctor and "kitchen clearance" from SWMBO to try driving short distances yesterday morning.  So, after making sure I could operate the accelerator and the brake with the new knee, I hit 3 different stores to pick up sone stuff.

2021 OF 8yr BiB and RR13.jpg

Yikes - prices gone up on the OF 8yr BIB and allocations down.  RR13 still great at $70 OTD.  Picking up a couple bottles of Michter's 10 rye from the "Live Free or Die" state on Sunday for a "friend."  That's getting bloody expensive as well.  😡

Wow, you were cleared to drive really quick!  Congratulations!  You also did well in making up for lost time on the purchasing side.  I have yet to see the RR13 on the shelf.  It is on my buy list if I see one.

• I like it 1

This is definitely my favorite MM product to date. This scratches my wheater itch. 

20210722_200745.jpg

• I like it 5

42 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

This is definitely my favorite MM product to date. This scratches my wheater itch. 

20210722_200745.jpg

Agree!  I even saw it at Walmart today. It makes great cocktails as well.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Wow, you were cleared to drive really quick!  Congratulations!  You also did well in making up for lost time on the purchasing side.  I have yet to see the RR13 on the shelf.  It is on my buy list if I see one.

Did a lot of leg-strengthing exercises before surgery.  Also went on a semi-diet in anticipation of post-op PT.  Very lucky to be ahead of the pain game (so far).  Main issue has been swelling (or maybe I already had fat legs?) but minimal pain in joint. 

Heading back up to the "Live Free or Die" state this afternoon to pick some more goodies!   Ain't life grand?  🥰

• I like it 3

17 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

20210722_200745.jpg

I think you've convinced me to finally buy another MM product after @ 8 years of holding off.  Most seem to like that bottle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.