What bourbon did you purchase today (Spring 2021)

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Another odd bunch. Had to cough up $89.99 for the Old Fitzgerald, but the rest were spot-on MSRP. I'm still not warming up to the new Woodford Reserve MC structure, although it certainly takes up less shelf space than its predecessor.

IMG_6388.thumb.jpg.00db81dd4a11b1eb87e7afdb74272178.jpg

• I like it 5

On 7/13/2021 at 12:40 PM, Clueby said:

I've still never EVER seen one of these in the wild for sale at ANY price.  I've only had a sample of one batch and thought it was way outmatched by Stagg Jr.

Funny you should say this.  I did find ONE CEHT BP at about $80 at a Maryland store near Elkton when driving back from a fishing trip to Long Island.  The year was 2017.  It was OK, but the CEHTs as a group have never been a "must buy" for me.

What's a "must buy"?  Wild Turkey 101 KSBW at $19.99 per 750 (on sale from $25) which I stumbled on today while rum shopping.  Move over OGD BIB, there's room for you all in the trunk of my car.:D

• I like it 5

Don't flame me for saying this, but the BT mash bill #1 brands I've tried never seem to be my favorite house style.  Some are tolerable, but not thrilling, not a value.  When I tried CEHT B.I.B., my first impression was, I didn't need a second pour, and I would have preferred two or three bottles of JW Dant for the same price.

WT on the other hand 😉👍 in the wheelhouse.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Another odd bunch. Had to cough up $89.99 for the Old Fitzgerald, but the rest were spot-on MSRP. I'm still not warming up to the new Woodford Reserve MC structure, although it certainly takes up less shelf space than its predecessor.

I really liked the Jefferson's Cognac finish - great dessert pour after a meal.   Strong cognac presence, but if you like finished bourbon this was a winner by me.

• I like it 1

Driving to UCONN this week, decided to stop in one of my favorite LLS honey holes on the way home.  

Buncha private selections and Four Roses Small Batch Select!  

I've missed the FRSmBS here in CT, if it ever came thru at all, so this time I politely lightened their load by a full 6 bottle case; thank ya very much!  Got me some Lawrenceburg Love.  

Also picked up a PS Blue Note CS, Ezra Brooks Distiller's Collection, and a Backbone SBBP. 

Barrel proof MGP, you say?  Taste from our sample bottles first, you say?  Don't mind if I do, almost feels like "normal".  

Did I mention the Starlight I got recently?  How about the ECBP A121 stacked deep or the JDSBBP that knocked it's socks off?  Jack just beat down Elijah; not even close this year.   

The plan is to work to live long enough to enjoy my bunker well into retirement.  Slainte!   

• I like it 1

On 7/14/2021 at 5:14 PM, Marekv8 said:

Can I ask what the Sam Houston set you back? 

Decided to splurge a little since I have not been buying much so far this year. Was not expecting the JM Cigar blend, but it was a pleasant surprise. I know they are not all bourbons, but did not feel like taking two different photos. 

4BA8FA2B-DDB8-4B5A-8F60-29EFFD4E13C2.jpeg

• I like it 8

3 hours ago, WhiskeyProposition said:

Can I ask what the Sam Houston set you back? 

Not that you asked me, but I paid $144.99 at a Total Wine in Louisville a few weeks ago. 

On 7/14/2021 at 7:09 PM, PaulO said:

Don't flame me for saying this, but the BT mash bill #1 brands I've tried never seem to be my favorite house style.  Some are tolerable, but not thrilling, not a value.  When I tried CEHT B.I.B., my first impression was, I didn't need a second pour, and I would have preferred two or three bottles of JW Dant for the same price.

Not going to flame you but instead am going to applaud you for being honest.

Apart from Stagg and some batches of Stagg Jr., most BT products disappoint me. Standard BT can still be good. ER10 can sometimes be good. EHT is too inconsistent these days. Some are actually bad. Way too many bad Blanton's. Weller no longer worth being interested in.

Outside the Staggs I just don't care about this distillery any longer.

• I like it 6

2 hours ago, Rhettro said:

Not that you asked me, but I paid $144.99 at a Total Wine in Louisville a few weeks ago. 

Gotchya. I just snagged one for $120. Store owner said it was on hold for a customer who canceled on him. 

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, flahute said:

Standard BT can still be good. ER10 can sometimes be good. EHT is too inconsistent these days. Some are actually bad. Way too many bad Blanton's.

Ding ding ding. This all day. With the massive increase in demand - and supply - inconsistency has become all too common, and one of the reasons I have shifted my buying to different distilleries, and often lower-priced, batched products from those distilleries. Variability and nuance within a profile is one thing, and I would say a great thing. It's why single barrels and private selects are so fun. But when I know what ER10 can/should taste like and I get a heartburn inducing tannic mess of a bottle that is completely off-profile and frankly of substandard quality, it makes me angry. Same with Blanton's. Quality control is a bitch, but along with expanding supply exponentially or whatever BT is up to, I hope they figure it out.  I'm not cynical to the point where I don't think they care, but at the same time they are probably cutting themselves a bit too much slack in the short-term because they know people are still lining up before stores open to buy every ounce they ship out at the moment. SMH.

• I like it 4

On 7/14/2021 at 9:09 PM, PaulO said:

11 hours ago, flahute said:

Not going to flame you but instead am going to applaud you for being honest.

Apart from Stagg and some batches of Stagg Jr., most BT products disappoint me. Standard BT can still be good. ER10 can sometimes be good. EHT is too inconsistent these days. Some are actually bad. Way too many bad Blanton's. Weller no longer worth being interested in.

Outside the Staggs I just don't care about this distillery any longer.

You guys are killin’ me. 😬 I understand though.

To each their own. That’s part of what keeps things fun and interesting here. I know everyone’s tastes and preferences differ. I’m not really a fan of WT and FR stuff. Sometimes that makes me feel like the odd man out. 🤔 FWIW, I’ve kinda settled into a rotation of BT products, MM products, BIB’s (my HH BIB Blend mainly), and an occasional odd bottle or two. Hey, it’s all good! 😁

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

On my way over to cut grass at my 86 year-old aunts house, I stopped at the local store  (Friday is delivery day)  I got a coupla three BT and an ER10.  They only had one left.  The clerk said there were  few folks lined up 20 mins beofre store opened.   She said , "Now the Eagle Rare lasts a few minutes rather than a few hours."    

• I like it 3

Coupla too tree…… my kinda guy!!! 🤣

This is the voice I hear it in, good ol Tony santorro 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

To each their own. That’s part of what keeps things fun and interesting here. I know everyone’s tastes and preferences differ. I’m not really a fan of WT and FR stuff. Sometimes that makes me feel like the odd man out. 🤔 FWIW, I’ve kinda settled into a rotation of BT products, MM products, BIB’s (my HH BIB Blend mainly), and an occasional odd bottle or two. Hey, it’s all good! 😁

Biba! Joe

Hey Joe,  what's the HH blend?

Prost!!  Phil 

Edited by Phil T

16 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Hey Joe,  what's the HH blend?

Prost!!  Phil 

Dant, EW, and JTS Brown BIB’s. 😁

Biba! Joe

Snagged a 1792 Full Proof for a bit under $50. They had two on the shelf. I've never had this before, never seen it around the Dallas area. Thoughts on if I should grab the second bottle....? 

1626462360240.jpg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

I should clarify my statement.

When BT and ER10 are on profile, I still really like them a lot. When EHT is on profile, I love it. I still like Weller.

The problem is availability and quality control on BT and ER10, availability, price, and quality control on EHT, and needing to be a snake charmer to even see much less purchase a bottle of Weller.

If and when these issues improve I will re-embrace BT. Until then there is much that I like as much or more for less money and no hassle in comparison. Zen as we like to say.

You are a BT original so the fact that you can still mostly get what you want at the price you want and it still appeals to your palate makes me happy.

• I like it 6

8 minutes ago, WhiskeyProposition said:

Snagged a 1792 Full Proof for a bit under $50. They had two on the shelf. I've never had this before, never seen it around the Dallas area. Thoughts on if I should grab the second bottle....? 

1626462360240.jpg

Try it first and then make the decision I’d say. It opens up nicely with a bit of water.

4 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Try it first and then make the decision I’d say. It opens up nicely with a bit of water.

The kicker is, I'm visiting in NY and go back to Dallas in a couple of days. So I'm keeping this sealed for its ride home in the suitcase. Never seen it around Dallas so not sure if it's a 'grab it while I can' situation..... 

3 minutes ago, WhiskeyProposition said:

The kicker is, I'm visiting in NY and go back to Dallas in a couple of days. So I'm keeping this sealed for its ride home in the suitcase. Never seen it around Dallas so not sure if it's a 'grab it while I can' situation..... 

I really enjoy the Full Proof bottle.  Its different than most.  The "banana" affect is real for me.

3 hours ago, flahute said:

I should clarify my statement.

When BT and ER10 are on profile, I still really like them a lot. When EHT is on profile, I love it. I still like Weller.

The problem is availability and quality control on BT and ER10, availability, price, and quality control on EHT, and needing to be a snake charmer to even see much less purchase a bottle of Weller.

If and when these issues improve I will re-embrace BT. Until then there is much that I like as much or more for less money and no hassle in comparison. Zen as we like to say.

You are a BT original so the fact that you can still mostly get what you want at the price you want and it still appeals to your palate makes me happy.

It’s all good Steve.

Sadly, I haven’t been able to get much of what I want recently. (Not that I really need anything.😉) Lately, things in my area have started to get a little more “sketchy” again. I wonder if any of this has to do with restaurants and bars getting busier after reopening. It appears to me that the distributors are back to playing their games again. 🤨 “Know what I mean Vern?” 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It’s all good Steve.

Sadly, I haven’t been able to get much of what I want recently. (Not that I really need anything.😉) Lately, things in my area have started to get a little more “sketchy” again. I wonder if any of this has to do with restaurants and bars getting busier after reopening. It appears to me that the distributors are back to playing their games again. 🤨 “Know what I mean Vern?” 

Biba! Joe

I do know what you mean!

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, WhiskeyProposition said:

1626462360240.jpg

If you like the 1792 profile and it is within your budget, you might consider picking up another bottle if you rarely or never see it in your area.   Under $50 is a good price.  

I will leave my personal preferences aside since it really doesn't matter to you.  A second bottle of the Full Proof would give you one of each that you open when you get home to sample and evaluate and one of each for your bunker that you can open sometime in the future.   

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.