What bourbon did you purchase today (Spring 2021)

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

It’s really absurd here. About 25%. At least we don’t have state income tax.

WOW! That's crazy.

• I like it 2

CEHT BP x2 - I haven't seen any of these in the wild for several years around these here parts.  "Live Free or Die!"  $69.99 ea. OTD.  Wish I could have bought a case . . . . . .  🤯

CEHT BP 2021.jpg

127.3pf - perfect!  😋

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 15

image.thumb.jpeg.44015dcac194764f27f2881511307a20.jpeg

Way to go GeeTen!! Awesome pick up. 

I came close with my 200mL Sazerac😁.   Never seen one before. 

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, GeeTen said:

CEHT BP x2 - I haven't seen any of these in the wild for several years around these here parts.  "Live Free or Die!"  $69.99 ea. OTD.  Wish I could have bought a case . . . . . .  🤯

CEHT BP 2021.jpg

127.3pf - perfect!  😋

Good Shit!

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

Good Shit!

And the last time I saw them in a local liquor store several years ago, they were $99.99 ea.  Prices going down???  🙃

• I like it 2

30 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

And the last time I saw them in a local liquor store several years ago, they were $99.99 ea.  Prices going down???  🙃

Way to go - punches way above its weight for me - if you can find it!

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, GeeTen said:

CEHT BP 2021.jpg

127.3pf - perfect!  😋

I've still never EVER seen one of these in the wild for sale at ANY price.  I've only had a sample of one batch and thought it was way outmatched by Stagg Jr.

17 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I've still never EVER seen one of these in the wild for sale at ANY price.  I've only had a sample of one batch and thought it was way outmatched by Stagg Jr.

I believe they are form the same mashbill?   Can anyone confirm that GTSJr and EHTBP are indeed related?

I find it to be the opposite, I try to do a blind SBS with one of the Stagg Jr releases and the EHTBP at the same Kentucky bar each year, and the Taylor has gone 4/5!    I guess that's what makes the world go round.

35 minutes ago, geclbxf said:

I believe they are form the same mashbill?   Can anyone confirm that GTSJr and EHTBP are indeed related?

I find it to be the opposite, I try to do a blind SBS with one of the Stagg Jr releases and the EHTBP at the same Kentucky bar each year, and the Taylor has gone 4/5!    I guess that's what makes the world go round.

Stagg JR and EHT BP are both BT's low rye Mash Bill #1... Stagg JR is supposedly a few years older than EHTBP

2 hours ago, jnewberg said:

Stagg JR and EHT BP are both BT's low rye Mash Bill #1... Stagg JR is supposedly a few years older than EHTBP

Why do I have to choose?  I'll gladly take 'em BOTH!!!  🤩

• I like it 6

3 hours ago, jnewberg said:

I actually think it’s the other way around. Stagg Jr. 7-8 and EHT 9-10. I know the EHTSiB my local picked was 9 years and I am 95% sure the Stagg was 8, but I will have to double check. 

That’s the Single Barrel. I’d think the BP are taken from the same group of barrels, but I don’t actually know. 

• I like it 1

I haven’t seen Stagg JR around here in ages. The EHT BP shows up once in a while, but it’s usually priced at $10.00-$20.00 higher than the msrp of $69.99. Or at least what used to be the msrp. 🤔

Biba! Joe

The last time I saw one in the wild it was for $200. I should start tracking Geeten's cell phone.

Edited by mal00768
  • I like it 1

26 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I haven’t seen Stagg JR around here in ages. 

Seems like it has become super allocated these last few years. I haven’t bought it for at least 2 years because I didn’t really enjoy the last few I had. 

EHTBP on the other hand. . . Yes please.  

• I like it 4

Went in hoping for another EHT (anything but rye 😆) or another “red one” Weller107. I came out, after 🤓2 hour wait🤓, with these 3 amigos instead ER, Blantons, and a WSR a custom Buffalo Trace 3 different mashbill variety pack. I’m starting to get the hang on this whole state run liquor sales shenanigans here in Ohio. 

747BA6ED-B78F-46D4-988E-507A059E60DA.jpeg

6D3EC4BF-A8EE-4AEA-A761-E05F9871A7C7.jpeg

• I like it 6

9 hours ago, geclbxf said:

Well..my experience with CEHTBP is limited to that ONE sample from one batch due to it's unobtainium status. SJR just hit town here last week (even though I missed it).

I've literally seen more bottles of BTAC on shelves here (at ridiculous prices of course) than the ZERO bottles of CEHTBP.

11 hours ago, geclbxf said:

7 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I actually think it’s the other way around. Stagg Jr. 7-8 and EHT 9-10. I know the EHTSiB my local picked was 9 years and I am 95% sure the Stagg was 8, but I will have to double check. 

That’s the Single Barrel. I’d think the BP are taken from the same group of barrels, but I don’t actually know. 

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Well..my experience with CEHTBP is limited to that ONE sample from one batch due to it's unobtainium status. SJR just hit town here last week (even though I missed it).

I've literally seen more bottles of BTAC on shelves here (at ridiculous prices of course) than the ZERO bottles of CEHTBP.

My 2 cents.  Yes same mashbill.  I guess I don't actually know for sure which one is aged longer (both are NAS and anything else is just anecdotal), ... but despite the obvious family resemblance in taste, to my palate the CEHTBP comes across as decidedly more refined and balanced  than Stagg Jr.  So the CEHT drinks like it is aged longer.   Regardless, they are obviously aged differently (warehouse?) and ultimately that might be more important. 

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, Kepler said:

My 2 cents.  Yes same mashbill.  I guess I don't actually know for sure which one is aged longer (both are NAS and anything else is just anecdotal), ... but despite the obvious family resemblance in taste, to my palate the CEHTBP comes across as decidedly more refined and balanced  than Stagg Jr.  So the CEHT drinks like it is aged longer.   Regardless, they are obviously aged differently (warehouse?) and ultimately that might be more important. 

This was my sbs review from back in 2019 where I found them completely different in taste profile. Not trying to belabor a point, I just find it so interesting that palates can be so different. What one person finds refined and balanced, another might find thin.

SBS of CEHTBP 128.1 vs Stagg Jr. 131.9.  This is my first ever experience with CEHTBP. While I'm thankful to the generous SB'r for the sample, I'm glad I didn't drop big money on a bottle of this. It never shows up in Missouri. If it shows up across the river its typically north of $150. Most of my SJR purchases have been in the $50 range although availability seems to have dried up lately.

The CEHT was lighter in color..a nice bright golden amber. The SJR was more of a brown with reddish tints. On the nose the CEHT was lots of grain and corn and dusty wood. The SJR was burnt brown sugar and cherry cola. The noses on both carried over to the palate pretty consistently.  The CEHT was noticeably thinner feeling.  The finish had some dusty oak notes but faded relatively quickly and had a corn-pop sweetness. The SJR had that molasses and cherries thing going on. I got little to no corn. Some oakiness at the end with that thick burnt sugar note lingering.  I thought that on it's own the CEHT is a fine bourbon, but the SJR blew it away.  My wife felt mostly the same although she noted how "smooth" the CEHT seemed comparatively.

Absolutely can't argue with that.  Yes palates are different.  Like I always say you just can't account for different personal tastes.

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

My wife felt mostly the same although she noted how "smooth" the CEHT seemed comparatively.

You have obviously married WAY above your paygrade, Tim!   😆

• I like it 1

Picked up a bottle of this.  And it's really good.  Tastes like old whiskey should.  I'm puzzled by the various proofs of different bottlings.  This one is 84.4.  My buddy in Nashville sent me a pic of a bottle he picked up that was 93.4 proof and I've seen mentions on line of 105 proof bottles.  This is lower proof than I usually buy but it drinks beautifully neat.  We killed a third of the bottle last night.

IMG_7757.thumb.jpg.9ba73d5458ff4ed859ed5311bc657c0a.jpg

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, scratchline said:

Picked up a bottle of this.  And it's really good.  Tastes like old whiskey should.  I'm puzzled by the various proofs of different bottlings.  This one is 84.4.  My buddy in Nashville sent me a pic of a bottle he picked up that was 93.4 proof and I've seen mentions on line of 105 proof bottles.  This is lower proof than I usually buy but it drinks beautifully neat.  We killed a third of the bottle last night.

I picked up a bottle of this at Party Source a few weeks ago that comes in at 80 proof. So yeah, there is definitely some proof variation on these.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.