What bourbon are you drinking summer 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hoy, hot day yesterday for me.  Was outside from 9-5, and the heat index was well over 100dgf.  Stopped on the way home to reward myself for such an heroic effort, picked up my first bottle of EW BiB.  Handed over a twenty, got paper and coin back.  Now if it is drinkable, I might have stumbled onto something.  Boy is it drinkable.  Or I could've still been hot from day, but damn did I enjoy that.  And for almost $10 less then WT101, it's almost perfect!  Cha-ching!

• I like it 7

In Nashville, last Sunday, at Pucketts Grocery, had a nice pour of Dickel Pucketts Single Barrel followed by a TN Whiskey Flight with dinner. Tried to get the WSR but they had none.

E67AAB54-4133-4E10-B312-61273DB1BC04.thumb.jpeg.5fcc533c341490db05151d672ab404b6.jpeg

• I like it 1

Talked myself into buying a couple of these over-priced (MSRP but still overpriced, I think) 375s as gifts and then couldn't keep myself from opening one.  A lot of alcohol on the nose but underneath is that classic rickhouse smell.  Really transports me to fantastic times and friends in Kentucky.  I wouldn't necessarily identify this as Wild Turkey but knowing it,  it's no surprise.  This is how bourbon is meant to taste.   Enough age to kill any new-make edge but still some youthful kick.  Not fruity really or dark fruit anyway.  Peaches maybe.  And butterscotch.  A lovely long balanced spicy finish.  A reminder to me that top shelf bourbon doesn't have to be age stated.  If I could, I'd buy a couple more bottles.  Fine whiskey.

IMG_8204.thumb.jpg.5356f55161a67bea70b651a4e3bacb4d.jpg

Edited by scratchline
  • I like it 8

Very different day at work today. 🤔 Long involved story which I won’t bore y’all with. I will say that it ended up being a pretty decent day with none of the usual aggravations or distractions. Our new refrigerator was also delivered today, and was installed and set up with no complications whatsoever. 😲 Every once in a while….. What better way to celebrate than with a couple of pours of my 2021 Weller Blend on our back patio. 😁 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 10

11 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

Puppy’s first bottle of bourbon B)

Priceless! 👍

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, scratchline said:

Talked myself into buying a couple of these over-priced (MSRP but still overpriced, I think) ... Fine whiskey.

IMG_8204.thumb.jpg.5356f55161a67bea70b651a4e3bacb4d.jpg

I've not tried it, but I do like the label.  Local store has some.  Perhaps I'll go ahead and get one.  If I don't like it, I still have a pretty on the shelf.

The Misses, Little Whammie, and I are on a little road trip to southwest Michigan. I messed around and didn't fill my 12oz Stanley flask, so I had to pick up a bottle of BT at the local Meijer. It's hitting the spot. 

20210826_215202.jpg

• I like it 5

Here's to my little old man on National Dog Day.   That's Statesman in the glass.  (No, not for him)

20210826_232616.jpg

• I like it 4

20 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

Here's to my little old man on National Dog Day.   That's Statesman in the glass.  (No, not for him)

20210826_232616.jpg

well, what does doggo get?

got a 3 oz sample of a 2020 WL Weller. My first WLW. Opened a WFP to compare it to. This is not a fair comparison. The WLW is one of the best pours I have had in my relatively short bourbon journey. Like a good W12 at barrel proof. Shockingly good. The downside: now I know what I am missing. 

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

I've not tried it, but I do like the label.  Local store has some.  Perhaps I'll go ahead and get one.  If I don't like it, I still have a pretty on the shelf.

You better go ahead and buy two…‘cause once you open the first one, you won’t be able to stay out of it!😉

A very healthy pour for OF Friday...

1/3 ea of 1920/1910/Statesman (State of 1915)

Sat in freezer for 20 minutes

Why?

How about why not?

20210827_164527.jpg

• I like it 7

Waiting for my wife to pour me a blind of these. Old label vs new label…same juice or no?

21E975E9-70DA-4881-97BF-E91D3EDA3EED.thumb.jpeg.df97d08d97e7d6543a0180ec5ec55927.jpeg

• I like it 2

8 minutes ago, CPBourbon said:

Waiting for my wife to pour me a blind of these. Old label vs new label…same juice or no?

21E975E9-70DA-4881-97BF-E91D3EDA3EED.thumb.jpeg.df97d08d97e7d6543a0180ec5ec55927.jpeg

I'm hearing that there is a difference.

Looking forward to your synopsis...

• I like it 1

I once again helped out at an “off site” facility associated with my work. Same as yesterday. Pretty much hassle free. 😎 Another decent work day, and a good way to end the week. ER in the glass on the back patio. 🙂

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

1 minute ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I once again helped out at an “off site” facility associated with my work. Same as yesterday. Pretty much hassle free. 😎 Another decent work day, and a good way to end the week. ER in the glass on the back patio. 🙂

Biba! Joe

Didn't like it in the freezer, but quite good from the fridge. Who would have thought a cold vs colder variance matters.

If you give it a try, let us know...

• I like it 1

WT 17 BiB on a very nice Friday evening.

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 2

VOB 90 on a couple cubes.  One of the great sleeper whiskies on the shelf.  

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, CPBourbon said:

Ok, so I should have poured 3 glasses for a control and may have been looking for a difference. That being said, there was definitely a difference. However, It could be nothing more than the fact that my open bottle has been open for a couple weeks. 

End result: I chose the new bottle. 

Notes: 

color - same

nose - what ended up as the new sample was much less muted. More defined notes of vanilla, banana bread, and a sweet nuttiness. What ended up as the old bottle I wrote “muted”. Many of the same notes on the nose but not as strong. I also detected a hotter (noted ethanol) note in the old bottle.

Taste - what ended up as new bottle: same old Brown Forman notes that I love. Vanilla coffee syrup, banana nut bread, sweet roasted carnival almonds and a nice long finish that tastes like Christmas cookie baking time. What ended up as old bottle: once again wrote “muted” and noted much less of finish. I got almost none of the nice fresh banana bread taste in the mid palate of the old bottle.

All super surprising to me as I was CERTAIN I would like the old bottle better. 

I will do one more test after the new bottle has a chance to open up a bit and I will do it with 3 pours. 

• I like it 4

20 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

well, what does doggo get?

He prefers jello shots.  I've never approved.

• I like it 1

Drinking a 6yr 8mo Wilderness Trail high rye bourbon, a private selection my group did, that clocks in at 121 proof and is absolutely magnificent.

What amazes me about this one is that it was distilled on the pot still. Their column still has only been in operation for almost 5 years. I don't always like the pot still bourbons - well I almost always don't like them - but Wilderness Trail figured out how to get good results from it. Their column still product is going to be even better.

• I like it 6

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.