What bourbon are you drinking fall 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

46 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Pogo sticked around this evening with a series of small pours of VOB 90, Eagle Rare, WT, EW 1783, OF Statesman, 4R Yella Label from the freezer, and…I forget.  🤪.  Loved the variety!  The minute I think that all the bourbons may be running together in profiles, I find it enlightening in disproving this notion with a series like this.  

I like doing this too - an evening of midget pours.  

Tonight I continue on my blending kick.  Yesterday it was the Spirit of Prohibition, tonight it's StatesRussell - one third Russelll's Reserve Single Barrel,  two thirds OF Statesman.    WT and OF blend naturally together, it appears.  Tonight, the vanilla of the Statesman washes over the tobacco 'n leather of the Russell's.    This is an experiment worth contining.  

• I like it 4

Enjoying pours of BT and Weller SR on the back patio after a long week. 🙂

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

Today, I saw the (somewhat) new Benchmark releases for the first time in ATL today, so picked up the “Top Floor”.  Trying it with UGA/Auburn on the radio.  A month or so ago, I described the Dickel bourbon as having a chocolate candy shop like nose.  While that whiskey had a touch of that, thus Benchmark utterly explodes with this.  I smelled it as soon as I opened the bottle.  In the glass, it’s gorgeous.  If you’ve ever been into a Savannah’s Candy Kitchen, this whiskey is that.  Chocolate turtle gophers, pecan pralines, log rolls, and fresh caramels.  It’s really stunning in that regard, but that’s not to be necessarily correlated to me thinking this is a stunning bourbon.  It pours extremely thick, and has a nice mouth feel.  Maintains those candy shop notes on the palate, and decent finish, though unchallenging.  I’d like more oak to give more balance to the sweetness.  Perhaps, a little more time in the racks.  
I do like it, but it needs some tweaking.  Regardless, I’ll be hitting this regularly, and if my generally positive opinion continues, it will be a repeat purchase, if for nothing more than that nose.  😋

4836519E-00D9-47DF-BC76-76C43A4B422D.jpeg

• I like it 5

Blanton’s in the glass now while playing fetch in the backyard with Harper. 😎

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.a3cc13d4fbabf7ec7b9fe1757ba2b29b.jpeg

• I like it 6

Nice pour of Belle Meade. One more healthy pour in the bottle, may do that a little later.

• I like it 3

12 minutes ago, Kjbarth said:

Nice pour of Belle Meade. One more healthy pour in the bottle, may do that a little later.

Not that I’m an enabler in any way, but go ahead and go for it. 👍😁

Biba! Joe

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Blanton’s in the glass now while playing fetch in the backyard with Harper. 😎

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.a3cc13d4fbabf7ec7b9fe1757ba2b29b.jpeg

I.W. ?

• I like it 3

Had my first pour of Belle Meade Reserve 108.3 proof. A little bitter initially, opened up nicely after a few minutes in the glass. Nice pour.

• I like it 2

29124D7C-6C0A-4120-850E-A4615EE52A20.thumb.jpeg.31b3d7b67b6cfb62233a819483da03e2.jpeg

It’s been a long work week so decided to finally open up and try the Calumet 15.  Really enjoyed this, sometimes I get too much oak and woodiness as things get older but thought it balanced well. Meant to only to one pour as a nightcap yesterday but quickly went for a refill. 

• I like it 5

A Dickel 9, watching the end of Packers/Bengals that neither team wants to win, 4 missed FG’s in last 2 mins 4Q and 1st min of OT. Waiting for Giants/Cowgirls game next. Giants are gonna get blown out. 

Bengals just missed another FG. 

29EE83C3-7161-4A9B-B64E-BF3B6214EED7.thumb.jpeg.952a2e95a63ae7e22d38a262ae8686fc.jpeg

Sorry, passionate Giants fan. I’ve gone through half the dickel bottle during the first half; might (probably will) finish the bottle before the game is over. I’m better when I’m at the stadium- the $20 beers are a no-go for me.. And I hate Buck/Aikman; they are such Cowgirls homers.

• I like it 2

19 hours ago, Kepler said:

We did. 

20211009_232957.jpg

Not necessarily an OK fan but never do I mind seeing UT take one in the shorts... 🤟😎

• I like it 1

On 10/9/2021 at 6:45 PM, Kjbarth said:

I agree with @fishnbowljoe.  It is best to empty that sucker now.  Thinning the herd makes room for more bottles.

• I like it 5

3 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

Sorry, passionate Giants fan. I’ve gone through half the dickel bottle during the first half; might (probably will) finish the bottle before the game is over. I’m better when I’m at the stadium- the $20 beers are a no-go for me.. And I hate Buck/Aikman; they are such Cowgirls homers.

Between Barkley and Jones, it was a rough day for the Giants.  

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

A Dickel 9, watching the end of Packers/Bengals that neither team wants to win, 4 missed FG’s in last 2 mins 4Q and 1st min of OT. Waiting for Giants/Cowgirls game next. Giants are gonna get blown out. 

Bengals just missed another FG. 

29EE83C3-7161-4A9B-B64E-BF3B6214EED7.thumb.jpeg.952a2e95a63ae7e22d38a262ae8686fc.jpeg

Crosby pulled it out.  Eventually someone had to hit a FG, right?

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, JakeySnakes said:

Some (a lot) VOB 100 while watching the Bills game. Let's go Buffalo!

I am hoping for a 50-48 Bills win with Josh Allen, Kelce and Hill rocking.  No specific reason.  Oh ok, because they are on my fantasy team.

• I like it 1

I opened a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel.  I have had a couple of pours already but, if Kelce and Hill don't pick it up soon, I may need to have another.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.