What bourbon are you drinking fall 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Baseball, football, and the new Hallmark movie. An extremely small pour of BT, a couple of pours of MM 46, and a couple of healthy pours of MM 101. Not a bad day. ☺️ And tomorrow’s a holiday. Oh wait, I’m retired. Every day’s a holiday. 🤣

Biba! Joe

• I like it 9

On 10/9/2021 at 5:38 PM, smokinjoe said:

Today, I saw the (somewhat) new Benchmark releases for the first time in ATL today, so picked up the “Top Floor”.  Trying it with UGA/Auburn on the radio.  A month or so ago, I described the Dickel bourbon as having a chocolate candy shop like nose.  While that whiskey had a touch of that, thus Benchmark utterly explodes with this.  I smelled it as soon as I opened the bottle.  In the glass, it’s gorgeous.  If you’ve ever been into a Savannah’s Candy Kitchen, this whiskey is that.  Chocolate turtle gophers, pecan pralines, log rolls, and fresh caramels.  It’s really stunning in that regard, but that’s not to be necessarily correlated to me thinking this is a stunning bourbon.  It pours extremely thick, and has a nice mouth feel.  Maintains those candy shop notes on the palate, and decent finish, though unchallenging.  I’d like more oak to give more balance to the sweetness.  Perhaps, a little more time in the racks.  
I do like it, but it needs some tweaking.  Regardless, I’ll be hitting this regularly, and if my generally positive opinion continues, it will be a repeat purchase, if for nothing more than that nose.  😋

4836519E-00D9-47DF-BC76-76C43A4B422D.jpeg

Sounds like a good one for October with it being candy month and all...

18 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

A Dickel 9, watching the end of Packers/Bengals that neither team wants to win,

Love that Dickel 9.  And the 15yr is amazing.  Dickel is putting out some seriously good whisky. 

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

Love that Dickel 9.  And the 15yr is amazing.  Dickel is putting out some seriously good whisky. 

I've been sipping on a Dickel 15 yr old store pick over the last week or so and I have thoroughly enjoyed it.  I did not expect to enjoy it so much but it's been a great drink and the price seeemed right.

BB97ED81-5310-4004-9279-B80162E641A2.jpeg

Edited by apt43bear
Forgot to include picture
  • I like it 4

4 hours ago, apt43bear said:

I've been sipping on a Dickel 15 yr old store pick over the last week or so and I have thoroughly enjoyed it.  I did not expect to enjoy it so much but it's been a great drink and the price seeemed right.

Love the Redbreast selection in the background. 

• I like it 1

Had a splash of MM101, and moved on to some MMCS; both hitting the spot tonight.

• I like it 3

55 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Love the Redbreast selection in the background. 

Thanks, I love the 12 yr Cask Strength.  I got a little scared when they released the Cask Strength Small Batch for a higher price point figuring they were going to get rid of the 12yr Cask Strength.  I got a couple backups just in case but happy to see the 12yrCS still on shelf (for now at least...).

This is my last bottle of W12 (ok, ok I still have an "old" style bottle).  I haven't seen any20211011_192618.thumb.jpg.d5dbcca35849ea4ad33ca0b9d935fd03.jpg on a shelf in several years at any price. The local tater group rate is $250. 😪

I keep it in the closet and only pull it out every now and then. This is a really good bottle. Has a lot of juicy fruit notes (mostly pear) that mingles in with the oak and caramel. I'll be sad to see her go.

• I like it 8

WT 101 . sitting chilling listening to some music in the

Costa Blanca, Spain,  on vacation. 👍

IMG20211011180638.jpg

• I like it 5

Had a small pour of Stagg Jr batch 14. Getting close to the end of that bottle, can't seem to find a bottle of 15 or 16 that is anywhere near MSRP.

Started with a Bulleit 10; not really "it" today!

Next up, dipping into the last 1/3 of a honey-shelf 4R SiB.

Just the right amount of sweetness w/ a rye spice ending of perfection!!! 😎👌

Edited by bayouredd
  • I like it 1

Busy day at work, followed by a short and easy run afterward. Add a great Braves/Brewers game to that and the evening called for a pour of Old Forester Barrel Strength SP.  So good after resting for about 25 minutes. 

• I like it 2

Blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah. And so, blah blah blah blah blah. 😂 Because of all the blah, I’m having a couple of pours of Weller SR this evening. 😎 Unfortunately, more blah to come. 😡

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Joe,

Life is tough, isn't it?    And you're retired too.

enjoy the Weller!!

Mike

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, anthony. g. said:

WT 101 . sitting chilling listening to some music in the

Costa Blanca, Spain,  on vacation. 👍

IMG20211011180638.jpg

jealous.  looks great!

• I like it 3

11 hours ago, Kepler said:

On to the ALCS 

20211012_204924.jpg

Congratulations to you and your Astros. Keep it going. You and @GeeTen need to have wager of sorts 😀 

Back on subject, how is the JM Cigar Blend?  

Cheers

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Congratulations to you and your Astros. Keep it going. You and @GeeTen need to have wager of sorts 😀 

Back on subject, how is the JM Cigar Blend?  

Cheers

I gotta' get runs to cover the spread.  Besides, who's gonna' steal signs from whom???   🤣

Old Rip 25 work for you , sir???  🥰

A nice pour of Statesman.  I don't drink alot of OF.  I get alot of black pepper in their products and this is no different.  There is enough sweetness to help balance it but I still think OF isn't my thing.

IMG_20211013_162646831.jpg

• I like it 2

On 10/11/2021 at 10:31 AM, apt43bear said:

Wow! 80.8 proof.  Barely legal...  Amazing to see a cask strength bourbon with that low proof.  My bottle, a K&L pick, was around 95 proof and pretty tasty, but a friend gave me a couple of samples of low 80s barrels that were, if anything, more flavorful than mine.  Anyway, $55 for a 15yr barrel proof bourbon in today's market is remarkable. 

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, fosmith said:

Wow! 80.8 proof.  Barely legal...  Amazing to see a cask strength bourbon with that low proof.  My bottle, a K&L pick, was around 95 proof and pretty tasty, but a friend gave me a couple of samples of low 80s barrels that were, if anything, more flavorful than mine.  Anyway, $55 for a 15yr barrel proof bourbon in today's market is remarkable. 

Oh haha sorry my picture is a little blurry but it's 50.4% Alcohol so 100.8 proof.  I had missed out on the K&L pick but heard some good things about that one from a friend.  I agree that $55 for this is a remarkable value and really took me by surprise how much I liked it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.