What bourbon are you drinking fall 2021?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 minutes ago, apt43bear said:

Oh haha sorry my picture is a little blurry but it's 50.4% Alcohol so 100.8 proof.  I had missed out on the K&L pick but heard some good things about that one from a friend.  I agree that $55 for this is a remarkable value and really took me by surprise how much I liked it.

Oops!  My bad.  Yeah, it was a little hard to make out so for some reason my (no longer young) eyes saw a 4 instead of a 5.  Maybe I had my mind on those great 82 and 84 proof samples my friend gave me.. 

I've got a 100.8 proof K&L pick on deck to open as soon as I make room in the liquor cabinet so looking forward seeing how a higher strength barrel tastes.

If you're a K&L customer, they have the Dickel 9yr SiB marked down to $33 and it's pretty good too. 

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Oops!  My bad.  Yeah, it was a little hard to make out so for some reason my (no longer young) eyes saw a 4 instead of a 5.  Maybe I had my mind on those great 82 and 84 proof samples my friend gave me.. 

I've got a 100.8 proof K&L pick on deck to open as soon as I make room in the liquor cabinet so looking forward seeing how a higher strength barrel tastes.

If you're a K&L customer, they have the Dickel 9yr SiB marked down to $33 and it's pretty good too. 

Thanks for the heads up! I've gotten some K&L picks here and there in the past and feel they do a good job.  You reminded me that I actually have a couple of accumulated orders from there that I have to pick up soon, so may take a flyer on this Dickel 9yr and add to my orders haha.

18 minutes ago, markandrex said:

Blah, blah , blah, WSR.  Did I get that right Joe?

Spot on @markandrex. 👍

As an odd coincidence, I just sat down with a pour of Weller SR before reading your post. 🤔

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

5 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Spot on @markandrex. 👍

As an odd coincidence, I just sat down with a pour of Weller SR before reading your post. 🤔

Biba! Joe

Great minds or retired Weller whores, either works.🥃

• I like it 2

East of the Sun (and West of the Moon)  accompanies tonight's pour.

I've never had this one before.   A good moderately priced sipper,  it's interesting to see where MGP has put down its marker relative to rivals like Jim Beam Black and 4R Small Batch.   It's not unlike the Smoke Wagon Small Batch,  the closest convenient comparo,  with the Remus a bit more grain forward and youthful,  but less monochromatiic than the SW, where they've blended for roundness. 

20211013_202338.jpg

• I like it 4

12 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

East of the Sun (and West of the Moon)  accompanies tonight's pour.

I've never had this one before.   A good moderately priced sipper,  it's interesting to see where MGP has put down its marker relative to rivals like Jim Beam Black and 4R Small Batch.   It's not unlike the Smoke Wagon Small Batch,  the closest convenient comparo,  with the Remus a bit more grain forward and youthful,  but less monochromatiic than the SW, where they've blended for roundness. 

Not sure about the Remus cause I’ve never had it. However, I will say the album you’re listening to is great. 👌👍😎👌👍

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

43 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Not sure about the Remus cause I’ve never had it. However, I will say the album you’re listening to is great. 👌👍😎👌👍

Biba! Joe

Christian McBride is a proud member of the Philly jazz contingent,  deep swingers all.

• I like it 1

On 10/13/2021 at 1:54 PM, GeeTen said:

I gotta' get runs to cover the spread.  Besides, who's gonna' steal signs from whom???   🤣

Hahaha!  First sign stealers to 4 games wins!!  😋

• I like it 1

On 10/13/2021 at 1:54 PM, GeeTen said:

Old Rip 25 work for you , sir???  🥰

I have a Larceny I can offer up to you! 🤣

Having a bunch of mini pours tonight- KC, Beam blend, MM101; PS Larceny now, which is without question the best Larceny I've had. If they all tasted this good it would be flying off the shelf. Too bad this is the only bottle I have of this release, or was available; grabbed the last one months ago.

• I like it 1

Got out last weekend and managed to injure my right knee again so I have not been imbibing due to the painkillers that I have been taking (tylenol and aleve).  Finally had a bit of Larceny last night as my budget Wheater pour.  Still can pick up the corn mustiness that I find common to the less well made theaters (I never pick this up in the good ones such as Weller).  Otherwise it was enjoyable.

• I like it 3

Cracked my freshly purchased MMCS. I don't believe I have ever purchased a MM before this, I've had tons of it over the years but never felt compelled to purchase one, finding it to be just OK, which was fine at various functions, bars... I ha.ve historically gravitated toward the RYE side of life

In the current environment and given the positive treatment here on SB, a 35.00 cask strength very well made bourbon, from an actual distiller, was just too much to resist.

My palate is still heavily skewed but bourbony notes are beginning to emerge and ever more vivid thankfully and this one, whether a function of that or being what it actually tastes like ( I am FAR from trusting myself on that one) is smelling and tasting of oatmeal raisin cookies. I am thoroughly enjoying this and I will happily continue to for as long as this note presents itself. 

• I like it 6

I’m continuing to enjoy the Benchmark Top Floor, which is in the glass now.  The chocolate candy shop notes are still wonderful for me.  During some recent tastings it hit me that this has similarities to the flavors that I get from some of the “toasted barrel” bourbons I’ve tried.  The difference is that I hate most of those for the artificial aspartame-ish sweetener notes that dominate them, while the Benchmark has none of that artificiallyness…

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Remus V.

Very Nice!

7597A892-C0CA-4869-8CF5-A12C22A41554.jpeg

I really enjoyed RR IV.  I bought two bottles @ an average price of around $70.  I doubt I will find any this year much less @ that price.  But, you never know, it lingered on the shelves for a while once it hit Indiana.

I have been on the look out for RR V.

Enjoyed a nice pour of MM101.  I will follow up with a smaller pour of FRSiB as my nightcap.  I am working on some fantasy football and basketball trades.  Bourbon and fantasy sports, what can go wrong?

5 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

.  I am working on some fantasy football and basketball trades.  Bourbon and fantasy sports, what can go wrong?

You’ll miss the Hallmark movie?  🤪

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.