What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 hours ago, GeeTen said:

I can always teach you how to make your own!   Here's a pic of 3 of our grandbabies folding won ton for our Christmas Chinese dinner:

folding won ton.jpg

The other 2 grandkids are just to the right of this crew (out of frame) with their Mom and Dad folding more, too.  It's been a family tradition to teach our kids to work for their holiday dinners.  My mom (whose picture is over my left shoulder holding granddaughter #1 in the Sinatra Suite at the Fairmont on Nob Hill in San Francisco  many moons ago) always said I was too ugly to find a wife, so she taught me how to cook.  Guess she didn't want me to starve to death . . . . .  🤣

What a great family activity and tradition!  Everyone appears to concentrating on the task quite intently.

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, kemosabe said:

After hearing all the good reviews regarding MM101 I decided to buy a bottle and see for myself.  I haven't bought a bottle of any MM product for years, so I figured, "What the Hell"?

I must say, you guys are right.  I liked the 101 with its oilier mouthfeel, richness, and slight spicyness. I'm curious to find how the bottle matures over time.  This one may become a staple in the cabinet.  Thanks for the recommendation.

IMG_4176.jpg

Peer pressure.

I just succumbed to it. 😉

20220109_191635.jpg

• I like it 4

Opened this one last night at a friend's and having some more tonight. I hadn't had one in quite a while but lucked into this one just before Christmas. 

This particular one seems even a little better than I remember. We did sbs this one against his last night that was from about 2 years ago and this one was better.

20220109_184954.jpg

• I like it 6

Finishing up the weekend with a pour of GBS PS Elijah Craig 15 yr Barrel Proof.  First full 5 day week of work coming up since before Christmas, so I think I need  this bracer to get my mind right…🤪

C37D89F3-817E-4F8F-BF92-33AA1283A49A.jpeg

• I like it 9

8 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Finishing up the weekend with a pour of GBS PS Elijah Craig 15 yr Barrel Proof.  First full 5 day week of work coming up since before Christmas, so I think I need  this bracer to get my mind right…🤪

C37D89F3-817E-4F8F-BF92-33AA1283A49A.jpeg

BOOM.

• I like it 1

We had friends over for Steelers/Raven game. I started a friend off with some Heavens Door before dinner.  Had a little MM Cask Strength during OT and now having a little unblended Michters while the tube amps heat up and I watch the Raiders score to, hopefully, win and secure the Steelers a playoff spot.

• I like it 2

Colts laid an egg in Jacksonville today.  They were 15 point favorites and lost by 15 points.  Drowning my sorrows watching Home Town with a few pours of MM46 Cask Strength.  Similar to last night, following up with a pour of The Burning Chair Cask Strength Store Selection.  Once you go high proof, you have to stay high proof.  

As much as I like the MM46CS, the Burning Chair is spectacular.  I guess I will have another pour since it will be my last until next weekend.  I am trying to reduce my weekday consumption since I will have better success with this than a dry January.

I guess it will just be soda or water while watching the Alabama-Georgia game tomorrow night.  I guess I will be making all of my posts on the straightsoda.com site tomorrow night.

Just kidding, I post in this forum even when I am not drinking.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 5

Still working down my inventory. I have several of these yet to go. This is really a great BIB.

Pat

20220109_205551.jpg

• I like it 12

Last week was long and “different”. The weekend was even more so. 😐 I’m having a couple of pours of a (Stitzel Weller) ps Weller 12 this evening. Hopefully this coming week will be more normal. 🤞

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

So I have not been drinking a lot of bourbon over  my Christmas vacation.  Since I am now going back on my near Keto diet, I will be back into my bourbon as that is allowed.  I plan to breaking open a new bottle of Blade and Bow for the Bama-Georgia game tonight.

BTW, I did come across an interesting factoid article over the Holidays.  It turns out that the animals that are most tolerant to alcohol are hamsters.  It seems that in their natural environment that hamster store grasses to eat over winter.  The grasses and grains will ferment so their natural forage is high in alcohol.  A Hamster can imbibe the equivalent of a human consuming 1.5 gallons of Everclear in an hour with no ill effects or becoming intoxicated.  So if someone says that they can really hold their liquor, just tell them that compared to a hamster that they are amateurs.

• I like it 8

On 1/9/2022 at 10:45 AM, GeeTen said:

My mom (whose picture is over my left shoulder holding granddaughter #1 in the Sinatra Suite at the Fairmont on Nob Hill in San Francisco  many moons ago) always said I was too ugly to find a wife, so she taught me how to cook. 

Don't fret, my friend. If you can cook, that changes you from a 4 to a 7. 🤓👍 I'm living proof of that...

The Ladies love to eat gourmet foods. Just be careful; ugly girls get hungry too...

P.S. On topic - 4R SB Select. This bottle way better than my first, a couple years back...

• I like it 4

Haven't had much since before Christmas, did a dry week and my palate's been out of whack anyway. Having some ET BIB tonight.

• I like it 3

New Riff KSBW 100 proof.  Months ago, one of you all (mbroo5880i??) in a discussion of New Riff offered to send me a sample.  I declined the thoughtful offer and swore I'd someday buy my own.

I did.  First impression - this is the best combo of pepper and caramel I have EVER tasted.  It may not be as complex as some other bourbons out there, but this one is impressive for what it is.  PLUS, unlike the pricing on some other upstart distilleries, this one was reasonable (circa $40 per 750 ml) for a BONDED upstart offering.

Second impression - more sampling revealed a fruit undertone similar to what I find in some of the 4R "O" recipes - fruit and spice.

Damn your eyes, New Riff!!  Like Woodinville and a couple other micros, you have managed to make a product that (1) avoids the new corn, undercooked distillate note manymany newbies feature, (II) ignores the "new and different special" note, like a plum sauce undertone, that some newbies tout to show their "difference", and (C) is just interesting enough (i.e., MORE than one note) to make me want to keep filling up my small glass - NEAT.

It is 29 degrees outside, and I've just done a second dishwasher run to clean all those containers following a power outage that cost us ALL our freezer stash (but no bourbon, so who cares???).  One more run, and my wife will be pleased and ready to start filling up the freezer.  New Riff KSBW  BIB is getting me through the loss of all that nice beef and pork AND keeping me caring about GA vs. AL with GA 19, AL 18.  HECKUVA GAME!! even if I don't care who wins.

• I like it 6

Toasting our Georgia Bourbon Society crew on their Championship win with some 1792 12yr.

• I like it 9

4 hours ago, flahute said:

Toasting our Georgia Bourbon Society crew on their Championship win with some 1792 12yr.

I couldn't stay awake past the first half.  But congrats, GBS 'Dawgs.  SEC Swimming Champs at UT in Knoxville next month should be extra loud!  Hitting the Jig and Reel downtown for our sendoff dinner with whisk(e)y and food, too.  😅

• I like it 1

Last night was just a nice pour of WT101 to wind down the night. My youngest decided to bring covid home from the babysitter last week, so now he is in quarantine this week. I have a feeling that the proof on my nightly pours may start to increase as the week goes on.

• I like it 1

Took another run at my bottle of Kirkland  Bottled In Bond Barton’s 1792 Master Distiller’s Kentucky Straight Bourbon @ 100 proof. While I prefer wheat bourbons this one is growing on me as a killer value. For <$30 for a liter bottle, it is a veritable bargain as prices continue to soar across the board in bourbon land. 

• I like it 2

Started with an:

ER SS  - opened on Christmas Eve > Very Nice

Move onto:

Peerless SS > This is a surprisingly good bourbon

Last pour - getting the evil eye from the Missus

RR 13 > OK, The Winner!!!

• I like it 1

Just now, markandrex said:

Opened up some Peerless Double Oak.

Oh...  Tell me about this one. I have the opportunity for a pick up. Worthwhile or not???

Work trip that looks like it will repeat through March. OGD 114 and EW bib packed for the weekly stay.

• I like it 4

14 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Oh...  Tell me about this one. I have the opportunity for a pick up. Worthwhile or not???

Cherry and oak on the nose.  A little vanilla and caramel hints beneath that.

Rich and heavy 4 year old bourbon.  Cherry, milk chocolate, sweet oak , brown sugar with a hint of orange.  Not as sweet as WRDO.  
The finish is oak (go figure), cherries and brown sugar.

Definitely a good pour when you are in the mood for oak notes.  If the price point is right I would say buy one.  I like their stuff and try to support newer distilleries.  Their rye is a strong point for them. 
Sorry for the delayed response.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.