What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Having some FRSB while streaming “The Book Of Boba Fett”. 

Biba! Boba! Joe

• I like it 4

WTKS CNC on a snowy day in the Bluegrass.  Expecting 5-7”, about 3” down already.  Staying warm and dry with the Lawrenceberg brothers.

A9603D66-BAC4-4608-BE85-F6E5ED27F5CA.jpeg

• I like it 10

MM101 out by a fire. 30* today and we’re supposed to get 6” snow overnight. Stay warm. 
D901380B-9B50-4C5C-ADE4-7D1ADC90FC45.thumb.jpeg.4b13276563e86e076ba4c236b22f4980.jpeg519AA14B-014C-4DE3-9E79-BC104447153C.thumb.jpeg.bd997ecf75192f7bc8d6daeb4ff426b7.jpeg

Edited by Kjbarth
  • I like it 13

15 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

MM101 out by a fire. 30* today and we’re supposed to get 6” snow overnight. Stay warm. 
D901380B-9B50-4C5C-ADE4-7D1ADC90FC45.thumb.jpeg.4b13276563e86e076ba4c236b22f4980.jpeg519AA14B-014C-4DE3-9E79-BC104447153C.thumb.jpeg.bd997ecf75192f7bc8d6daeb4ff426b7.jpeg

I'm curious, what is that contraption on top of the solo stove?  Is it supposed to keep the heat radiating down and close?

40 minutes ago, BigRich said:

I'm curious, what is that contraption on top of the solo stove?  Is it supposed to keep the heat radiating down and close?

I don’t know for sure, but that’s never stopped me from offering unsolicited opinions before…but could also be to keep a light rain/snow from reaching the fire.  

4 hours ago, BigRich said:

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I don’t know for sure, but that’s never stopped me from offering unsolicited opinions before…but could also be to keep a light rain/snow from reaching the fire.  

It's my cheap heat deflector/radiator. Aluminum pizza pan, drilled holes and attached 16" metal table legs to it with SS bolts. About $40 materials and 30 mins labor.  With a fire pit, most of the heat goes straight up. Thought this might divert some heat to the sides a bit so I could use the pit during the winter. I used an instant read thermometer and measured between 106* and 136* at my knees on my pants 16" from the fire while seated. Temp fluctuated depending on how big the fire in the pit was. Temp was about 50* at my chest.  But I was comfortable in 30* and less outside temp wearing jeans and long sleeve tee shirt and winter hat. Was outside from 3pm till about 9:30pm and did put on a sweatshirt for last couple hours. 

As Joe guesses, it also keeps light rain or snow off the fire as long as it's not too windy. I've got a SoloStove Bonfire that is around 20" in diameter. The pizza pan I got is 24" diameter so there is a little overhang. Also got a 22" pizza pan to use as an emergency cover if it every starts raining while using it so I can keep the rain out, let it cool down, before covering it.

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, BigRich said:

Thanks for asking as I was wondering the same!

32 minutes ago, flahute said:

Thanks for asking as I was wondering the same!

I'm a chronic tinkerer.  I probably should've been an engineer but that was not the path that life took me down. 

Edited by BigRich
  • I like it 1

Dickel BIB to warm up for the weekend!  Light on the vitamin (less than enthusiastic about that), and exploding with honey Graham crackers and toffee (beyond delighted about that!).  

0F5556A0-CB65-4501-B099-D897A6322DB9.jpeg

• I like it 8

I was at the grocery store this evening and happened to be looking at their version of higher end whiskies.  A younger woman, maybe early to mid-30s, came up and ask if I could recommend a good bourbon.  I asked how she planned to enjoy it - neat, on the rocks, in a cocktail - she told me neat.  She said she wanted something with a kick so nothing low proof.  I promptly walked her around to the section with OF100 and WT101 and described the flavor profiles.  She was mulling them over as my wife was prompting me to get a move on.  I bet she went with WT101.  The color was so rich looking and the price was slightly cheaper.

This made me think of what I wanted when I got home. I was originally going to go for a Turkey flight...WT101, WTR101 but decided, what the hey, it has been a hectic start to the New Year at work and it is cold outside.

I opted for this instead.

Resized_20220107_195236.jpg

Resized_20220107_195440.jpg

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 8

Cracked one of these.

For whatever reason, the MM101 has really been hitting all of the right marks lately.

20220105_165734.jpg

• I like it 6

From Old Ripy to CEHT BP. I haven't tasted in a while. Nice change of pace.

Pat

20220107_205730.jpg

• I like it 8

I had a couple of pours of MM tonight while watching a Netflix documentary. Pretty interesting show called “The Battered Bastards Of Baseball”.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Patrick_OKC said:

From Old Ripy to CEHT BP. I haven't tasted in a while. Nice change of pace.

Pat

20220107_205730.jpg

the EHTBP does it for me every time!   

• I like it 1

L&K WFP "Yes" (actually 3 drams!) after 14" of snow while cooking home-made won ton for dinner last night.  Yummo!  🥰

• I like it 6

MM101 has been tasting so good that I keep going back to it night after night.

• I like it 4

On 1/4/2022 at 10:55 PM, flahute said:

Wheater Christmas lives on with a MM101 as I begin my taper to no middle of the week bourbon for January.

Tried a dry January once an only lasted 2 1/2 weeks so I'm going with a middle ground approach.

Put on some pounds between Thanksgiving and Christmas so going back on hardcore keto and figure the reduced calories from bourbon reduction will help me take the weight off faster.

How noble of you to take one for the team like that! Since I retired I am down to 2 AFD’s or alcohol free days per week, it was 3 AFD’s when I was working.

7 hours ago, GeeTen said:

L&K WFP "Yes" (actually 3 drams!) after 14" of snow while cooking home-made won ton for dinner last night.  Yummo!  🥰

Frank, I always appreciate your generosity with whiskey but when do I some of those wontons? 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

Frank, I always appreciate your generosity with whiskey but when do I some of those wontons? 

What do you call filled Chinese dumplings made for a guy named Big Rich?

OneTons

Ba-Dum-Bump…Pssshhhhh

Please look for that beaut on your next wrapper of Bazooka gum… 🤪

As for my whiskey this afternoon, it’s a comforting pour of Woodford Reserve.  I like to have it around for times like this just past Holiday Season, when I’ve been ripping through several bottles and just needing to get back to one of the bourbons that got me started on the journey.  The signature cantaloupe rind note is much less than in early years, but I can detect a bit over the palate in this bottle.  Honestly, I’d like them to dial more Versailles pot still back into the mix to establish more of that house style.  

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.