What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, FacePlant said:

Nuttin fancy here tonight. Some 9yr RR SiB B. Wait a minute...yeah this is special. :) 

Yeah it is!

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, beasled said:

EW BiB this evening. Cheers!

20220211_230854.jpg

Good one gone there @beasled.  Is EW BIB readily available in the UK?  Decent price? 

Biba! Joe

Long night that started late. A group I'm in does a periodic sample share: 4x 1oz or 2oz samples sent randomly to others in the group, this share is each persons favorite 4 bottles/pours from 2021. We're supposed to provide tasting notes and rank from 1 - 4.  Today I got 4x 2oz samples that I sampled about 1oz from each, wrote notes, and submitted notes, got to admit, I'm a little stumped. I guess I'm not so good at blind tasting at determining what is in the glass. I think I know what I like, I just think I haven't tried a lot of different whiskeys to be able to get good clues in blind tastes. Good to do, haven't learned anything yet until the reveal.

Then had a couple pours of RR13, then opened and had a pour of Belle Meade Reserve.

• I like it 4

5 minutes ago, Kjbarth said:

Long night that started late. A group I'm in does a periodic sample share: 4x 1oz or 2oz samples sent randomly to others in the group, this share is each persons favorite 4 bottles/pours from 2021. We're supposed to provide tasting notes and rank from 1 - 4.  Today I got 4x 2oz samples that I sampled about 1oz from each, wrote notes, and submitted notes, got to admit, I'm a little stumped. I guess I'm not so good at blind tasting at determining what is in the glass. I think I know what I like, I just think I haven't tried a lot of different whiskeys to be able to get good clues in blind tastes. Good to do, haven't learned anything yet until the reveal.

Then had a couple pours of RR13, then opened and had a pour of Belle Meade Reserve.

As our esteemed member Chuck Cowdery once so eloquently stated “Remember, it’s a marathon not a sprint.” Hang in there Kj. 👌

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Good one gone there @beasled.  Is EW BIB readily available in the UK?  Decent price? 

Biba! Joe

Widely available Joe. Price varies but usually around $45-50 which i guess is a lot for you guys!

5 minutes ago, beasled said:

Widely available Joe. Price varies but usually around $45-50 which i guess is a lot for you guys!

Sorry you have to pay that much for it b. At least it’s a pretty good bourbon you have ready access to. I almost hate to tell you this, but it can usually be found here for  $20.00 or a little less. 😐 FWIW, I haven’t been keeping up on the currency exchange rate. To be honest, I’m almost afraid to look. 🥺

Biba! Joe

11 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Sorry you have to pay that much for it b. At least it’s a pretty good bourbon you have ready access to. I almost hate to tell you this, but it can usually be found here for  $20.00 or a little less. 😐 FWIW, I haven’t been keeping up on the currency exchange rate. To be honest, I’m almost afraid to look. 🥺

Biba! Joe

Its cool Joe, you guys get shafted on the scotch, we get shafted on the bourbon. It's only fair :D

• I like it 6

Started with the BOTM; ok but not hitting.

Next, an OF Blend which was very good.

Now doing a MM101. Needed a couple sips to clear the OF profile but very nice, still...

• I like it 1

Been a wheater night so far. Opened with Rebel Yell 10yr, moved to Larceny BP. Both are good, I usually really like the RY10. But tonight, the third bottle did the trick,  MM 2020 SE4xPR5. Rich, luxurious whiskey. I wish I had another bottle. 

Cheers

• I like it 2

Went with a fresh pour of Smoke Wagon Uncut Unfiltered Batch 26 - really enjoying this especially after the first pour as some of the alcohol blew off. Loads of caramel flavor and a finish that lingered. As a Rams fan, I tried to distract myself the last two weeks but I’m starting to get nervous in anticipation now. This bourbon is going down far too easy in calming the nerves. Might be a painful morning haha. 

5C0D4F77-5A8F-4A6C-B1E9-2D1CAF60E2FB.jpeg

• I like it 3

Currently having some Maker's Mark. 

I'm new to the forum and almost as new to bourbon. I like my bourbon with ice, and a slight drop of water in a nice glass. 

IMG_20220213_190553.jpg

• I like it 6

18 minutes ago, MissMohawk said:

I'm new to the forum and almost as new to bourbon. I like my bourbon with ice, and a slight drop of water in a nice glass. 

IMG_20220213_190553.jpg

Welcome! Head over the New to StraightBourbon thread and tell us about yourself.

• I like it 3

43 minutes ago, MissMohawk said:

IMG_20220213_190553.jpg

You may get mixed reviews here, but IMHO, you can never go wrong with Maker's. I always keep one around because it makes the best whiskey sour to be had. I've tried a dozen or so others including MM46 & the standard is the winner of the whiskey sour lotto!!!

• I like it 2

Baby backs on the grill for about an hour, spaghetti squash, baked beans, sweet potatoes & deviled eggs warming up in the bullpen aaannddd, Remus V to kick things off...

R5.thumb.jpg.6804e0a8124552398168e21a352898e5.jpg

• I like it 7

Pre gaming with a recent purchase.

Every once in a while,  the Dickel profile hits all the right notes, and this is one of those times.

I love it when cheap whiskey works!

20220213_151200.jpg

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, MissMohawk said:

IMG_20220213_190553.jpg

Welcome! Good to have someone from Ireland here. You will find that many of us here, including me, started with Maker's and then expanded our search. I don't drink much of the standard version any more but do drink a lot of Maker's 101 now.

• I like it 2

41 minutes ago, flahute said:

Welcome! Good to have someone from Ireland here. You will find that many of us here, including me, started with Maker's and then expanded our search. I don't drink much of the standard version any more but do drink a lot of Maker's 101 now.

I think I will have to order online to expand my search, the choice of bourbon seems to be limited here. I'm putting Maker's 101 on my list. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, MissMohawk said:

IMG_20220213_190553.jpg

I'm glad to see you get it at its regular 45% strength there; I thought I had heard it was 40% overseas.

• I like it 1

Fresh crack pour of standard 4RSiB in my fancy 4R rocks glass and this neck pour is tasting quite lovely.

• I like it 2

ER10 goes pretty quickly in this household. Mrs. Clueby and Rummy  enjoying the fire while the "big game" was on.

20220213_203325.jpg

• I like it 8

Simple pour of VOB 90 for the first day of the week.  

• I like it 1

took some time off for Valentine's day.  went back to my old standby Blade and Bow on Sunday.   This was the first time that I did not watch a Super Bowl since the first one.  Had a good  Monday off with the wife.  She made some chocolate martinis for us (which were yummy).  I finished the day with a  revolver (Kahlua and Bulleit).

IMG_1941.jpeg

IMG_1945.jpeg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.