What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Rough day but things are looking up.  Started out with a couple of solid pours of EW 1783.  Emptied the bottle.  No, not to drown out my sorrows but just to enjoy a nice bourbon and to empty the bottle.  I still like to thin the herd when possible.  Besides it only had about 2 pours in it.  I will definitely pick up another.  Moved on to a lesser size pour of Big Red New Riff SiB because it is Friday night and I am not done yet.  I will follow up with another pour.  Watched the Kevin James movie about Sean Payton on Netflix.  Sappy?  Yes.  Enjoyable.  Yes.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 4

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Rough day but things are looking up.  Started out with a couple of solid pours of EW 1783.  Emptied the bottle.  No, not to drown out my sorrows but just to enjoy a nice bourbon and to empty the bottle.  I still like to thin the herd when possible.  Besides it only had about 2 pours in it.  I will definitely pick up another.  Moved on to a lesser size pour of Big Red New Riff SiB because it is Friday night and I am not done yet.  I will follow up with another pour.  Watched the Kevin James movie about Sean Payton on Netflix.  Sappy?  Yes.  Enjoyable.  Yes.

Just opened some of the same about 10 minutes ago.  Purchased a bottle of EW 1783 and EW BIB and got out of the store for less than $33 after taxes.  I found the BIB to be fairly sweet, and the 1783 to be a little more well rounded (more leather and oak, sweetness is there, but fades more quickly than the BIB).  One thing notable about the 1783 is the nose.  I don't know how to describe it, I just really like it.  Almost smells sweeter than it actually tastes.  Caramel and butterscotch.
This was my first go-round with Evan Williams anything.  At the price, I think it holds up quite well.

• I like it 5

6 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Starting the weekend with a HM BIB.  Haven’t had this in some time, but picked up a bottle today.  This barrel just screams very good classic HH profile from nose to finish.  Dried flowers potpourri nose and cooling menthol notes over the palate. It’s 10 years in oak only appears on the finish, and subtly at that.  This is a good barrel.  

Just finished one a couple days ago and it was an outstanding bottle. I miss the days when it was overlooked.

• I like it 3

About HM 10 BIB, and with regards to the posts by @smokinjoe & @flahute. I know I’ve posted this before, but I think it deserves revisiting. Many years ago I remember members here talking about the menthol or citrus flavors in HH products. I’d had a few HH products, and just didn’t get it. I finally found a bottle of HM 10 BIB. Bingo!  If I only knew then what I know now. -_-

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Well not today because it is still the am, but last night some Knob Creek to keep out the winter chill.

• I like it 4

16 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Having some Rebecca Creek Cask Strength 12y (99.68p) tonight. Its MGP and damn good.....

Didnt know this was out there. Just bought one. Have never gone wrong with 8-12 yr MGP

• I like it 1

Old Tub tonight; with some air this one has rounded out into a sweet treat, like a slightly pissed off cinnamon bun.

• I like it 4

5 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Don't tell Mrs. Clueby.

20220205_171230.jpg

She'll know - proof too high to hide... 🧐

5 minutes ago, lemonman said:

Old Tub tonight; with some air this one has rounded out into a sweet treat, like a slightly pissed off cinnamon bun.

Since I am a Beamer, I really need to try that one... 🤨

JBDC with ginger while watching Reacher on Amazon.  Pretty good  (drinks and show) so far.

• I like it 2

Visiting my Aunt or my Brother, always seems to have OGD. I don't think either realize what proof, but cest la vie...

Anyway I scooped up an OGD BiB. 2day and busted a move on it big time. A double stick of Big Red gum followed by a caramel candy, ending in a slight smokey bitter oak. Not very complex but quite flavorful.

This could easily become my "decantered" bourbon. Understand that my decantered juice isn't necessarily my goto, but my "I'm not sure what I want tonight" bourbon. It's always good, but not exceptional. You can sip happily, but other things may follow or another of the same.

In the past, Bulleit 10 has been the decanter filler; a bit thin, but satisfying.

Oh well, after a couple or 5+, I'm in love; not marriage quality, but a little on the side...

• I like it 1

24 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Don't tell Mrs. Clueby.

Don’t tell her what?  ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

Hitting WT 101 KSBW as my OGD BIB supply is greatly diminished.  You Lawrenceburg fans know what's what.

NEXT UP!  Some SBSBSBSBSBS.  See the picture.  I love those old-style bottles.  I personally think that the $10 rise in price we've seen lately is due to the cost of the new packaging as what's inside tastes pretty much the same, considering.  ALSO, anybody notice that the pewter corks on the new bottles are NOT the same?  Different printing, etc.

IMG_1404.JPG

• I like it 8

Uh, I was referring to the embossing on the top of the plug.  I have a picture I took somehere earlier today, but GUNSMOKE is on INSP, and wife is saying it is happy hour time.  I'll look for it later.

• I like it 2

19 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Don’t tell her what?  ;)

Biba! Joe

Don't tell her and you won't have to share.

It was a cold and clear day, out and about in Jersey.   Brought back a Leopold Bros. BIB,  but I need to exact a bottle kill before I can open it.   That's a pleasure with a warehouse N WTKS,  which is airing out to classic proportions as the end nears.

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Since I am a Beamer, I really need to try that one... 🤨

Just keep reasonable expectations- it's young and not very complex, but if you like Beam you should probably give it a shot.

Last of the batch I bought back in Aug 21. Pretty nice medium dark color, lot's of cinnamon, tobacco, some vanilla, maybe cherries. Pretty hot for the proof, kinda harsh. I've had alot better, and at higher proof, from them. Maybe, overtime it will mellow out.

20220205_211605.jpg

• I like it 1

Finally got the chance to open up and try the W.B. Saffell Kentucky Straight Bourbon. Had to do a side by side with Wild Turkey Rare Breed to compare. To me, they both hit the palette with similar flavors initially but the Saffell seemed to have a longer finish that coated the mouth. 

My wife doesn’t drink and nosed both of them without knowing what she was smelling and was pretty impressed with the Saffell nose. 

Glad I got a backup bottle of the Saffell but damn that Rare Breed does always hit the spot regardless.  

3A5FD79E-3FF8-442C-8EF4-8F8BF8884356.jpeg

DC7D7DCC-6B92-4C75-8273-D680D45195AC.jpeg

Edited by apt43bear
Updated
  • I like it 8

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.