What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a splash of OF100 to test the palate. Wasn't spot on but tasted OK so I tried a splash of PVW20. Not great. To be fair, I've learned over the years that my palate needs to be close to perfect for older bourbons to not taste oaky so I'll wait until it improves. Until then, I've pivoted to Amaro Nonino and that is working nicely.

• I like it 4

I had a wonderful day yesterday. Our son, dil and grandkids came over at noon yesterday for our Xmas get together. Food, presents, games and a pour or three. The day started with a pre lunch pour of a bourbon wood aged red wine my dil brought. I did a quasi  BIB ladder over the course of the rest of the day and evening. As I did a few days ago, I enjoyed FRSB, MM 101, and Old Fitz BIB. Got some cool presents too. I’ve received numerous items related to the Despicable Me/Minions movies, and the movie A Christmas Story as past Xmas presents. It’s become something of a tradition over the last 8 or 10 years. Most of y’all have seen my posts with pics that sometimes show some of the items I’ve received. Well, the tradition continued yesterday. I opened my main gift and was almost speechless. My crazy, over the top gift is in the pic below. In the other pic is my seasons greetings to all my bourbon brothers and sisters here on SB. Cheers!

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.e10345cb0ff37a4a829bfc85400d04c5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a375c58122110ed9aa6bc081288b5866.jpeg

• I like it 13

47 minutes ago, flahute said:

,,,I've learned over the years that my palate needs to be close to perfect for older bourbons to not taste oaky ,,,. Until then, I've pivoted to Amaro Nonino and that is working nicely.

you're having some fun today.  Rudolf on the smoker?  okay, I understand PVW20 might seem oaky.  I've never had Amaro Nonino but an herbal infused grappa seems like monster flavor making even EC23 seem tame.  Pairing Amaro Nonino with the others is beyond eclectic, to Dali and Warhol in contest to paint weirdest on shrooms.  

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Had a splash of OF100 to test the palate. Wasn't spot on but tasted OK so I tried a splash of PVW20. Not great. To be fair, I've learned over the years that my palate needs to be close to perfect for older bourbons to not taste oaky so I'll wait until it improves. Until then, I've pivoted to Amaro Nonino and that is working nicely.

th.jpg

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

A post Christmas dinner pour of 2017 WLW with both of my sons.  This is about as close to perfect as I’ve ever had.

• I like it 4

My wife and I hosted Christmas parties the last two days so both days were long with a lot of food prep and clean up.  A few pours here and there during the festivities but quick and on the run.

First time to really sit down this weekend so I enjoyed a pour of 2013 WLW.  Now, enjoying a nice pour of FRSiB while watching the Colts-Cardinals games.  I see another pour or two of FRSiB depending on how the Colts do.

Merry Christmas.!  I hope everyone is having a great Holiday Season! 

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

you're having some fun today.  Rudolf on the smoker?  okay, I understand PVW20 might seem oaky.  I've never had Amaro Nonino but an herbal infused grappa seems like monster flavor making even EC23 seem tame.  Pairing Amaro Nonino with the others is beyond eclectic, to Dali and Warhol in contest to paint weirdest on shrooms.  

Going even more rogue after trying again with MM101 which still didn't taste right so I'm pivoting again, this time to pomegranate based cocktails.

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, flahute said:

Going even more rogue after trying again with MM101 which still didn't taste right so I'm pivoting again, this time to pomegranate based cocktails.

th.jpg.18cdaadf7707bdc3e9aff0b6af2a19ac.jpg

3 minutes ago, flahute said:

LOL! Yeah, it's not my night!

Steve,

Sorry to hear your struggles on the whiskey front.  But, it sounds like you are finding other options for spirits.  I hope you are having a Merry Christmas.  

Mike

Just now, mbroo5880i said:

Steve,

Sorry to hear your struggles on the whiskey front.  But, it sounds like you are finding other options for spirits.  I hope you are having a Merry Christmas.  

Mike

I am! It provides me an opportunity to experiment whereas I'm usually just lazy and pull from the bourbon cabinet.

A Merry Christmas to you as well!

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.e10345cb0ff37a4a829bfc85400d04c5.jpeg

Be careful. You'll put your eye out, kid!  I still have my Red Ryder from the 70's down in my shed.

Wheater Chrsitmas continues tonight.

20211225_213842.jpg

• I like it 7

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

First time to really sit down this weekend so I enjoyed a pour of 2013 WLW.  Now, enjoying a nice pour of FRSiB while watching the Colts-Cardinals games.  I see another pour or two of FRSiB depending on how the Colts do.

Merry Christmas.!  I hope everyone is having a great Holiday Season! 

Colts win. Now I can join you with a pour of FRSB. FWIW, I started getting a little leery on the Colts last drive of the first half. My wife looked at me and said it was like watching the Bears the other day 😬 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

My six year old son got to watch A Christmas Story for the first time at my brother's place earlier, and I was gifted an OF 1920.

Now I'm celebrating Colts win with EW B.I.B. my in laws gave me.

I had to sneak back into the living room and watch the second half with the sound off.  Everyone else was asleep.  

• I like it 4

16 hours ago, markandrex said:

Sipping on some ORVW.

10yr or 25 yr??   🤣

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, B3Nut said:

MM101 and Vince Guaraldi Trio...better half went to a movie. ;) 

Now THAT's my idea of heaven!

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

10yr or 25 yr??   🤣

10, I haven’t had anything over a 15 in 15+ years.

• I like it 1

One son left this morning and already back in Atlanta.  The other leaves in the morning for Chicago so we are enjoying a pour of WFP.

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.