What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Maker's Mark 101.  It is interesting how palate variability affects your experience with the same whiskey.  The last pour I had, it seemed more oaky and spicy than tonight.  Tonight, I am picking up a cinnamon spice with a transition to dark fruit.  Maybe even a little chocolate.  Thus, the perfect Christmas bourbon.

• I like it 3

On 12/22/2021 at 8:39 AM, CardsandBourbon said:

It's time to hunker down and grab something from the bunker to tide you over through the winter months.  So, what did you grab today?

Found two bottles of Four Roses Single Barrel Barrel Strength at my local grocery store!  Was so excited.  They didn’t even have it at Four Roses last time I was in Bardstown.

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, MOBourbonNutt said:

Found two bottles of Four Roses Single Barrel Barrel Strength at my local grocery store!  Was so excited.  They didn’t even have it at Four Roses last time I was in Bardstown.

Age and recipe?

Took a break from bourbon for longer than expected (for a variety of reasons) but was able to ease back in last night with a few small pours from a couple of 90 proofers. WSR first, then a 50/50 blend with an OF Single Barrel, and finally the OFSB on its own. Nice evening, and may revisit the 4-grain blend.

• I like it 4

This bottle is running low, but still glorious.  SB.Com PS HH Select Stock for me tonight.  

51E9E7E7-45A9-4CA9-80B3-BEAC5B6E7ECF.jpeg

• I like it 10

I've been on vacation all week so having some nice pours.  Last night I had a delicious 14 yr Knob Creek store pick from a sample that my brother gave me around Christmas.

This evening is another sample he shared with me, this one is a 9 and a half year 4R OBSK as I get ready to watch some college football.

🏈 🥃

• I like it 4

I snagged this on sale, at the package store in Norfolk.  I think paid $35.00 for it.

It's got a pleasant spicy flavor that I didn't expect.  I like it.

20211229_182500.jpg

• I like it 2

12 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

This bottle is running low, but still glorious.  SB.Com PS HH Select Stock for me tonight. 

To quote @Vosgar, “Ooooh!” 👍

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

22 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Oh I remember those bottles well.  Unfortunately all of mine are long gone.

• I like it 1

17 minutes ago, Kyjd75 said:

Oh I remember those bottles well.  Unfortunately all of mine are long gone.

I remember meeting you in the parking lot off I65 in E-Town to deliver yours on my way back South, from picking up the “Southern Allocations” 😂 at Binny’s Chicago!  🙂

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Beautiful. I have one bottle left and it's on lockdown.

Due to my much documented palate variability for the past few days I'm finally enjoying my Christmas Day pour of this.

FB13025A-770E-462B-A298-E4FB2023FCE8.jpeg

• I like it 10

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I just love when some of you guys can post pours from bottles I never even knew existed!  

• I like it 5

Found a bottle of Smoke Wagon SB today.  A first for me, so enjoying a nice pour of that tonight.  It’s a nice change from OWA and WSR which are the normal nightly drams.

6 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I just love when some of you guys can post pours from bottles I never even knew existed!  

We picked a couple of barrels of HHSS a few years before you joined Ben. 

Biba! Joe

8 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

We picked a couple of barrels of HHSS a few years before you joined Ben. 

Biba! Joe

Amazing! Were you part of the picking team?

Don’t suppose anyone happened to save me one? 😂😂

1 minute ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Amazing! Were you part of the picking team?

Don’t suppose anyone happened to save me one? 😂😂

I wasn’t part of the picking team. I did help with “other things” though. 😉

Biba! Joe

It's EW B.I.B. tonight.  I'm getting a fresh buttered roll mid palate - of course those gifted bottles always taste better. 🙂

• I like it 3

I currently have more bottles open than I’ve had in quite a while. I gotta work on that, so I’m gonna start working on low fill bottles. MM 46 in the glass tonight. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I remember meeting you in the parking lot off I65 in E-Town to deliver yours on my way back South, from picking up the “Southern Allocations” 😂 at Binny’s Chicago!  🙂

Yes, I met you in the parking lot of the then Holiday Inn Express to get mine and Eric's bottles.  It was a rough night weather wise as I remember.  We certainly appreciated your taking the time to do that for us.

18 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Next up an SB OGD BiB barrel selected by @Harry in WashDC please. :D

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

Next up an SB OGD BiB barrel selected by @Harry in WashDC please. :D

I posted in the barrel purchase sub-forum a while back that we should aim for an OGD BiB picked by Harry and Squire. If we could get a 6 or 7 year old barrel I bet it would be pretty great.

• I like it 6

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.