What bottle did you open today? - 2022

Kjbarth
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Winner winner, Chicken Dinner!!  I itch when I see orange. Especially burnt orange.  You know your colleges sir, I tip my hat to you. 
Gee, Once again you show you wisdom & why you are our BOTY!!  
I think your Mom, made a wise decision. 😊

Cheers

Ha, ha.  Just spent some time checking out the Big XII now that Texas and Oklahoma are joining the SEC.  Have officiated many swim meets at the UT pool in Austin over the years, too.  And State doesn'e even have a swim team (but I'm pretty sure they have water somewhere!).    🤣

Edited by GeeTen

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Opened last night.

20220815_203330.jpg

Boy, you guys sure have some great glassware - filled very nicely, too!  😋

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

Boy, you guys sure have some great glassware - filled very nicely, too!  😋

Those are my favorite glasses!! 😜

• I like it 1

On 8/16/2022 at 4:18 PM, Clueby said:

Opened last night.

20220815_203330.jpg

I kinda want that llama 🦙 

oh, and some whiskey.

• I like it 1

On 8/16/2022 at 4:18 PM, Clueby said:

Opened last night.

20220815_203330.jpg

14 minutes ago, 0895 said:

oh, and some whiskey.

I'd say that Llama looks like he kinda wants that OWA whiskey. 

• I like it 2

48 minutes ago, 0895 said:

oh, and some whiskey.

You can't have the llama!! You might get some whiskey. 😜

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

22 minutes ago, Clueby said:

You can't have the llama!!  😜

Repurposed Chia Pet? 🤔

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

My last WSR store pick. Probably never to be replaced as my local won’t ever choose it at the expense of an Antique/FP barrel. Tastes pretty good though. Will be even better tomorrow on the boat!

FAD7E34C-3022-42D1-BC65-FA10D912810F.jpeg

• I like it 5

So I opened this abomination...maybe that's a bit harsh, but what the hell Dickel...a 15 year bourbon at 40%?  The backstory here is I saw a bunch of these at one of my local ABC stores and got excited.   So I read some reviews and went back and grabbed one.  The only issue is I missed the small detail in those reviews that this thing is variable proof and can be as low as 80.  I assumed it would be 90 proof or greater and when I saw the 40% after I got home I almost took it back...there's a reason there were a pile of these sitting there.  But feeling adventurous I figured why not try it, maybe it'll actually be good.

Usually the first pour or two out of a bottle typically isn't the best, but man this is one of the worst first pours I've ever had.  This stuff is super thin, almost the consistency of water and super astringent.  I guess we'll see what happens after the level goes down a bit in the bottle.

At any rate, what the heck Dickel...why even put something like this out.

20220819_230615.thumb.jpg.082bb05492eacb32743382b019ad34e5.jpg

• I like it 1

40 minutes ago, Bourserker said:

So I opened this abomination...maybe that's a bit harsh, but what the hell Dickel...a 15 year bourbon at 40%?  The backstory here is I saw a bunch of these at one of my local ABC stores and got excited.   So I read some reviews and went back and grabbed one.  The only issue is I missed the small detail in those reviews that this thing is variable proof and can be as low as 80.  I assumed it would be 90 proof or greater and when I saw the 40% after I got home I almost took it back...there's a reason there were a pile of these sitting there.  But feeling adventurous I figured why not try it, maybe it'll actually be good.

Usually the first pour or two out of a bottle typically isn't the best, but man this is one of the worst first pours I've ever had.  This stuff is super thin, almost the consistency of water and super astringent.  I guess we'll see what happens after the level goes down a bit in the bottle.

20220819_230615.thumb.jpg.082bb05492eacb32743382b019ad34e5.jpg

That's too bad.  I actually am quite fond of the one I have.   But it's around 100ish proof however.  Damn single barrels!

10 hours ago, Bourserker said:

That is a shame.  Single barrels...  But a friend gave me a sample of either an 80 or 82 proof Dickel 15yr and it was stellar; rich, rounded and viscous. Better than the 101.2 proof version that I have open now, which is pretty darned good but has a slight bitter edge on the finish.  What I've heard about these is that they are very low proof barrels aged in the bottom floors of the rickhouse and are given minimal dilution to be bottled at four or five target proofs (from 80 to 101.2) at near cask strength which is why they can have such intense flavors despite the low proofs. 

I've also heard that the reason they don't bottle these at actual cask strength is that they don't want to have to create a separate label for each barrel.  Which also explains the high bottle number 222 on your bottle and the number 372 on mine.  No way they are getting that many bottles from a single 15yr barrel.  With angel's share, they're lucky to get 100.  It was explained to me that they print off a roll of labels with sequential bottle numbers for each target proof  then start over with a new roll when they run out.  So you would see the first bottle from a barrel have a bottle number of, for example, 92 and the last bottle with number 185.  Then the next barrel would start with 186.  It sounds crazy, but that's what they do. 

That said, I would revisit this one every week or two and I'll bet it will improve a lot with some "air time". 

• I like it 3

54 minutes ago, fosmith said:

That said, I would revisit this one every week or two and I'll bet it will improve a lot with some "air time". 

I didn't quote your whole post, but I  appreciate the detailed writeup there on what these Dickel 15 year SBs are actually composed of.  I will say that at the end of the glass last night it was starting to open up a hair and getting better.  So perhaps it will improve.  Unfortunately nothing can fix the watery mouth feel at 40% though.

The last bottle I had something like this happen with was a Laphroaig QC.  I opened it and the peat smoke literally punched me in the face.  I love me some peat, but this was like nasty acrid peat.  I wanted to dump that joker.  Anyway, now the level in that bottle is about 2/3 full and it's fantastic.  So I'm hoping the Dickel 15 follows this path...but oh that thinness...ugghhhh!

22 hours ago, Bourserker said:

I didn't quote your whole post, but I  appreciate the detailed writeup there on what these Dickel 15 year SBs are actually composed of.  I will say that at the end of the glass last night it was starting to open up a hair and getting better.  So perhaps it will improve.  Unfortunately nothing can fix the watery mouth feel at 40% though.

The last bottle I had something like this happen with was a Laphroaig QC.  I opened it and the peat smoke literally punched me in the face.  I love me some peat, but this was like nasty acrid peat.  I wanted to dump that joker.  Anyway, now the level in that bottle is about 2/3 full and it's fantastic.  So I'm hoping the Dickel 15 follows this path...but oh that thinness...ugghhhh!

It's a shame yours has a thin mouthfeel.  The two 80ish proof versions I've had definitely did not.  I was amazed that anything with such low proof could drink so amazingly rich and flavorful.  All the flavor of a higher proof bourbon but without the negative impacts of the alcohol.  If you find a different barrel (maybe picked by a different store), you should give it a try, IMO. 

• I like it 2

21 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Today started out rough….

it’s slowly getting better. 🥃

WTF happened? 

Joe

32 minutes ago, 0895 said:

20420118-FE97-4CD0-A2CC-1916F39D10B5.jpeg

577416CC-4BE0-4D27-A42F-C51D1F972F36.jpeg

Looks like it is getting better but I'd watch that cat.  I think it is eyeing the Weller. 

• I like it 2

Unfortunately I haven't been able to be on here much since late spring and summer, since it's "blending season" and I'm swamped, so I'm thrilled to pop in again. A few months ago, some good friends and I exchanged a bottle of my Magnus Cigar Blend batch #77 (aka "Free Bird," since I dedicated that batch to Lynyrd Skynyrd as a creative influence) and some samples of 20 year old 21% MGP that I have in stock at Magnus for 6 sample bottles of Old Grand Dad 1971, Parker's Heritage 4th Edition 10 YO Wheated Bourbon, FR Al Young 50th Anniversary, Four Gate Eagle Thief, and Redbreast 27 year old cask strength. 

Although the Old Granddad '71 is certainly interesting, it isn't very complex. After trying everything in the line-up (I'll leave the Redbreast 27 year out of this, since that's single malt), I am very surprised that the Parker's Heritage 10 year Wheated Bourbon at 124.2 is my absolute favorite of the line-up! When it comes to small grains, I'm almost always more of a rye fan than a wheat fan in my Bourbons, but WOW, this Parker's wheated is just hitting all the right notes this evening! A very close runner-up is the FR Al Young, which is as elegant as a summer day is long. Next would be KY Owl Dry State, then Four Gate Eagle Thief, with the Old Granddad '71 at the end. I might change my mind tomorrow and go with the FR Al Young as the frontrunner, but tonight it's the Parker's Heritage Wheater all the way!

I'm going to continue nursing this Parker's Heritage wheater this evening. Hope everyone is having a great dram or 3 tonight, and I'm happy to be back! 

Cheers!

Nancy

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 13

50 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

WTF happened? 

Joe

The bottle of OWA fell out of the sky and hit the car.

Luckily it didn’t break.

🤷🏻‍♂️

• I like it 2

39 minutes ago, 0895 said:

The bottle of OWA fell out of the sky and hit the car.

Luckily it didn’t break.

🤷🏻‍♂️

I just had to ask…….. :huh:

Here’s a true story Eric. Vosgar had a sister that lived in Rochester Minnesota. A number of years ago, Vosgar took his mom, his other sister and his wife up to visit one weekend. On the way up a wild turkey flew out from the side of the road right in front of his car. It hit his windshield and shattered it. Thankfully everyone was okay.  On a side note, I sure got a lot of mileage out of that one for a while. “Hey Gary. You have any Wild Turkey lately?” 🤣

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

20420118-FE97-4CD0-A2CC-1916F39D10B5.jpeg

577416CC-4BE0-4D27-A42F-C51D1F972F36.jpeg

That looks serious.  Oddly enough I had my windshield replaced today due to multiple cracks.  Nothing as dramatic as that however.  

2 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Unfortunately I haven't been able to be on here much since late spring and summer, since it's "blending season" and I'm swamped, so I'm thrilled to pop in again. A few months ago, some good friends and I exchanged a bottle of my Magnus Cigar Blend batch #77 (aka "Free Bird," since I dedicated that batch to Lynyrd Skynyrd as a creative influence) and some samples of 20 year old 21% MGP that I have in stock at Magnus for 6 sample bottles of Old Grand Dad 1971, Parker's Heritage 4th Edition 10 YO Wheated Bourbon, FR Al Young 50th Anniversary, Four Gate Eagle Thief, and Redbreast 27 year old cask strength. 

Although the Old Granddad '71 is certainly interesting, it isn't very complex. After trying everything in the line-up (I'll leave the Redbreast 27 year out of this, since that's single malt), I am very surprised that the Parker's Heritage 10 year Wheated Bourbon at 124.2 is my absolute favorite of the line-up! When it comes to small grains, I'm almost always more of a rye fan than a wheat fan in my Bourbons, but WOW, this Parker's wheated is just hitting all the right notes this evening! A very close runner-up is the FR Al Young, which is as elegant as a summer day is long. Next would be KY Owl Dry State, then Four Gate Eagle Thief, with the Old Granddad '71 at the end. I might change my mind tomorrow and go with the FR Al Young as the frontrunner, but tonight it's the Parker's Heritage Wheater all the way!

I'm going to continue nursing this Parker's Heritage wheater this evening. Hope everyone is having a great dram or 3 tonight, and I'm happy to be back! 

Cheers!

Nancy

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

Great looking lineup!

• I like it 1

58 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I just had to ask…….. :huh:

Here’s a true story Eric. Vosgar had a sister that lived in Rochester Minnesota. A number of years ago, Vosgar took his mom, his other sister and his wife up to visit one weekend. On the way up a wild turkey flew out from the side of the road right in front of his car. It hit his windshield and shattered it. Thankfully everyone was okay.  On a side note, I sure got a lot of mileage out of that one for a while. “Hey Gary. You have any Wild Turkey lately?” 🤣

Biba! Joe

Ha!

Similar thing happened to my brother.

It came through and landed in his lap.

After the 3rd cop showed up on the scene he realized they were calling each other to rubberneck.  One of them at least gave him a ride home in the winter.

The car took several cleanings.

My brother still doesn’t think it’s a funny story.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.