What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I passed a new one today - Elvis Rye Whiskey.  It's 90 proof, distilled in Indiana.  I didn't spend much time reading the label to see if there is an age statement or anything else of interest.  A brief internet search indicates it's the 95% rye recipe we're so familiar with all those other brands.  $50 seems kind of expensive.  That's more than double the price of Dickel or Bulleit version MGP Rye.

• I like it 3

Picking up a meatball sandwich in our local deli (which has been "here" since the 1930s).  It does have an eclectic spirits offering.  Pretty sure their 80 proof "House" label bourbon is HH 3+ year.

BUT!, That's not what moved me to post.  4R YL 750ml offered for sale at $36.99 plus WashDC tax struck me as, "Some of our clients just don't care about price."  OTOH, some of their sandwiches, like the meatball and their Cuban (if Maria is making it) and their brisket w/fresh mustard and their ham and swiss on rye with Russian and coleslaw rival the Carnegie Deli's in NYC.

So, I settled for a gin and bitter lemon tonic with a grilled Ahi tuna steak followed by sips of neat JD BIB after a tapioca+cherry sauce dessert.

• I like it 8

Been on vacation and did some random stops looking for anything interesting as well as trying to find some BT and/or ER.  I finally found one of each of the BT & ER, but it was a hard pass at $51 for the BT and $71 for the ER.

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Picking up a meatball sandwich in our local deli (which has been "here" since the 1930s).  It does have an eclectic spirits offering.  Pretty sure their 80 proof "House" label bourbon is HH 3+ year.

BUT!, That's not what moved me to post.  4R YL 750ml offered for sale at $36.99 plus WashDC tax struck me as, "Some of our clients just don't care about price."  OTOH, some of their sandwiches, like the meatball and their Cuban (if Maria is making it) and their brisket w/fresh mustard and their ham and swiss on rye with Russian and coleslaw rival the Carnegie Deli's in NYC.

So, I settled for a gin and bitter lemon tonic with a grilled Ahi tuna steak followed by sips of neat JD BIB after a tapioca+cherry sauce dessert.

You had me at meatball sandwich.  Did it include cheese?  Wait, they also have a Cuban, Brisket and Ham & Cheese?  Is this post about bourbon or nirvana?  Oh then I read about tapico and cherry sauce dessert.  Now I am conflicted.  Maybe I should join a food community forum.

• I like it 2

21 hours ago, Bourserker said:

Been on vacation and did some random stops looking for anything interesting as well as trying to find some BT and/or ER.  I finally found one of each of the BT & ER, but it was a hard pass at $51 for the BT and $71 for the ER.

I'd have passed, too, at those prices.  $30 for BT and $40 for ER would have been REALLY hard to pass if I didn't have a bottle (BT) or three (ER) in the bunker.  Good on you.

• I like it 1

I was thinking of stopping by Binny’s. Got home from bowling practice this morning and had received an email from them. Decided to stay home. 😑

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.png.7221e3c56a11d63f9e30537d1ebf47c5.png

• I like it 1

43 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I'd have passed, too, at those prices.  $30 for BT and $40 for ER would have been REALLY hard to pass if I didn't have a bottle (BT) or three (ER) in the bunker.  Good on you.

BT has been $23.99 for awhile in my area.  I guess I should grab a bottle or two soon before it disappears.

• I like it 1

32 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I was thinking of stopping by Binny’s. Got home from bowling practice this morning and had received an email from them. Decided to stay home. 😑

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.png.7221e3c56a11d63f9e30537d1ebf47c5.png

I got the same e-mail.  Oh boy, this is crazy.  That is one expensive label.  I will admit I am a little interested in the Jefferson's barrel picks at 100 proof.  Kahn's had one around Christmas but I didn't get one.  I believe the closest Binny's is in Champaign.  Not worth the trip.

• I like it 2

22 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

You had me at meatball sandwich.  Did it include cheese?  Wait, they also have a Cuban, Brisket and Ham & Cheese?  Is this post about bourbon or nirvana?  Oh then I read about tapico and cherry sauce dessert.  Now I am conflicted.  Maybe I should join a food community forum.

Needless to say, my post conflated SEVERAL threads - "What bourbon did you pass" (uh, the 4R YL at $36 which was AT LEAST $10 higher than it should have been)  and "What other spirit are you drinking" AND "Cocktails"  AND "What's on the cooker?" AND OF COURSE "What bourbon . . ."

When that Demon Jack Daniels grabs you by the short hairs, there's NO TELLING what schmutz will arise!

Uh, cheese.  Yeah - thin sliced provolone - REALLY thin so it melted in there.  Deli has a side business smoking briskets and ribs, catering, selling prime meats in a butcher shop (which is where I get my prime packer briskets and stuffable pork chops and whole salmon fillets), as well as sandwiches made to order on fresh baked bread/rolls/etc. from a local bakery.

The tapioca with cherry sauce was classic tapioca with homemade cherry sauce.  Cherries came from Florida.  Wife does the menus and grocery shopping.  I just grill/smoke meats to order (and buy what meat is needed), mix the drinks, pour the wine, and CONSUME!

Oh, I am skullery, too.  Doing dishes and wiping counters is my contribution to the meal.

EDIT - Just read what I wrote.  I sure hope this bottle of JD BIB has a bottom.  Otherwise, I be posting for DAYS!

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 6

18 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Needless to say, my post conflated SEVERAL threads - "What bourbon did you pass" (uh, the 4R YL at $36 which was AT LEAST $10 higher than it should have been)  and "What other spirit are you drinking" AND "Cocktails"  AND "What's on the cooker?" AND OF COURSE "What bourbon . . ."

When that Demon Jack Daniels grabs you by the short hairs, there's NO TELLING what schmutz will arise!

Uh, cheese.  Yeah - thin sliced provolone - REALLY thin so it melted in there.  Deli has a side business smoking briskets and ribs, catering, selling prime meats in a butcher shop (which is where I get my prime packer briskets and stuffable pork chops and whole salmon fillets), as well as sandwiches made to order on fresh baked bread/rolls/etc. from a local bakery.

The tapioca with cherry sauce was classic tapioca with homemade cherry sauce.  Cherries came from Florida.  Wife does the menus and grocery shopping.  I just grill/smoke meats to order (and buy what meat is needed), mix the drinks, pour the wine, and CONSUME!

Oh, I am skullery, too.  Doing dishes and wiping counters is my contribution to the meal.

EDIT - Just read what I wrote.  I sure hope this bottle of JD BIB has a bottom.  Otherwise, I be posting for DAYS!

A seemingly bottomless bottle of good whiskey is everyone's dream.

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

🤣

Passed on Sazerac Rye @ $40 and Buffalo Trace @ $32.  Both are very hard to come by around here, but I have over half a bottle of each left and no room for backups.

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, Cibsie said:

Passed on Sazerac Rye @ $40 and Buffalo Trace @ $32.  Both are very hard to come by around here, but I have over half a bottle of each left and no room for backups.

I very much like baby saz for the taste profile, I think I paid $30 for the bottle I got a few months ago.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, hughewil said:

I very much like baby saz for the taste profile, I think I paid $30 for the bottle I got a few months ago.

I agree for sure.  Maybe it's time for a bigger house so I don't have to turn such things down!

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Cibsie said:

Those are easy passes.

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, Cibsie said:

In Connecticut last week I saw regular BT for $79!  ER10 was $129.  WSR was $199!!

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

In Connecticut last week I saw regular BT for $79!  ER10 was $129.  WSR was $199!!

Was n CT a couple of months ago and BT was $50/bottle.  Hoped over the state line to RI and got a bottle for $28.  Thats when the lady at the RI store told me ion CT liquor stores can charge whatever they want, but RI is like here in Ohio the state regulates liquor be sold at MSRP.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

Don't go to Connecticut - you were warned!   😳

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Don't go to Connecticut - you were warned!   😳

Kinda didn't have a choice as that's where the wedding was!  I was just killing time at the liquor store while SWMBO was shopping in Marshalls.  I did end with some Yeungling to send back to MO, though.  My brother's family ended up drinking it so he had to go and buy some more. :) 

That store seemed to mark up EVERYTHING from BT except for Baby Saz.  It was around $30.  All the HH stuff was pretty high also.  He had one lone bottle of Henry McK 10 with no shelf tag that I asked about...$149.  He claims its the only bottle of it he has gotten in over a year.

• I like it 1

On 6/8/2022 at 2:24 PM, Jazzhead said:

To those determined to pay double and triple the MSRP for mediocre Buffalo Trace juice,  I just nudge 'em in the ribs and whisper "John J. Bowman"

OR, better yet Whyle D. Turkey or F. Or Roses 

• I like it 4

Well this is different.

Inside a glass deli case at a local grocer.  Not the exact same one as the cold cuts, but right next to it.

The Weller Antique is probably all in with  the cauliflower, hence why I’ve never seen it.

B70794B0-6F2F-4004-A5E9-14246D16A2D7.jpeg

• I like it 4

15 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Well this is different.

Inside a glass deli case at a local grocer.  Not the exact same one as the cold cuts, but right next to it.

The Weller Antique is probably all in with  the cauliflower, hence why I’ve never seen it.

Too funny.  I guess it is ok as long as the price is right.

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Well this is different.

Apparently some sharp knife saw Buffalo and thought meat...

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

We had to go out and pick up a couple of things today. Sam’s Club had some things I posted about before, plus something new. I have yet to see the Member’s Mark bourbon, but our store had Member’s Mark Blended Scotch. :huh: The also had Johnnie Walker Blue. 😯 One stop we had to make on the way home was at a place where I swore off their liquor department a while back. Yes, still tater stuff in the locked case near the customer service counter. Passed on everything at both places.

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• I like it 2

35 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

We had to go out and pick up a couple of things today. Sam’s Club had some things I posted about before, plus something new. I have yet to see the Member’s Mark bourbon, but our store had Member’s Mark Blended Scotch. :huh: The also had Johnnie Walker Blue. 😯 One stop we had to make on the way home was at a place where I swore off their liquor department a while back. Yes, still tater stuff in the locked case near the customer service counter. Passed on everything at both places.

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'd have grabbed a triple mash just 'cause not seeing it around here.  It's shows in our system at $39 so maybe we'll see it soon.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.