What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on an EC BP Private Barrel at 11 years old and 106.4 proof for $99. Just a bit too much for me to pull the trigger when I know I can get the 12yr releases for $69-$79 when I find it. Next time I'm in the store, if there is any left...I might just break down and get a bottle though.

• I like it 1

38 minutes ago, JakeySnakes said:

Passed on an EC BP Private Barrel at 11 years old and 106.4 proof for $99. Just a bit too much for me to pull the trigger when I know I can get the 12yr releases for $69-$79 when I find it. Next time I'm in the store, if there is any left...I might just break down and get a bottle though.

That's an easy pass.   Maybe if they let you taste it, and you really, really like it.

• I like it 3

RBBP and RBRBP at $72.99.  They are both good but I don't need to spend that much to have a great pour with something else.

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

I'd be tempted,  in part because I like the proof (I wouldn't need to water it down for neat sipping),  and a single barrel will likely have some distinctive notes as compared to the regular batched product.   The slightly lower age means little to me.  Is it worth a $20 premium?  I'd think so,  especially these days when I haven't the foggiest when I will run into the regular BP again.  A bird in hand . . .

• I like it 6

New York has finally s&/t the bed— $349.99 for a store pick Four Roses Single Barrel. 

• I like it 4

10 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

New York has finally s&/t the bed— $349.99 for a store pick Four Roses Single Barrel. 

Nah, New York has always s&/t the bed (IMHO, of course).  Did you know that "Bucky" Dent has a first name???  🤣

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 3

all this talk about prices makes me glad I'm here.  we have plenty of fresh quality white coming off the mountain

• I like it 1

Passed on Henry McKenna 10. It was in the locked display case at Binny’s for $59.99. 🙄 No no. No no. No way.😏

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Passed on Henry McKenna 10. It was in the locked display case at Binny’s for $59.99. 🙄 No no. No no. No way.😏

Biba! Joe

That's an easy pass. That money is better spent for a few bottles of OGD BiB, or OF100😉

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 3

Larceny, unknown batch.  Stopped by the local store, just to see if they had B522. The price (for unknown batch) was ($200) almost as off  putting as was the the pushy salesman.  

As it was placed above the shelving, I had  to asked for the pricing and if it was B522.

His retort: not sure if it was B522, but it doesn't matter, as they're all the same.

My response: I was curious, because of the positive reviews, specific to B522

Him: don't trust online reviews, he's personally tasted them and they're all the same.

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, LGC said:

Larceny, unknown batch.  Stopped by the local store, just to see if they had B522. The price (for unknown batch) was ($200) almost as off  putting as was the the pushy salesman.  

As it was placed above the shelving, I had  to asked for the pricing and if it was B522.

His retort: not sure if it was B522, but it doesn't matter, as they're all the same.

My response: I was curious, because of the positive reviews, specific to B522

Him: don't trust online reviews, he's personally tasted them and they're all the same.

LOL! It seems that the less they know the more confident they are in the superiority of their knowledge. 

• I like it 5

I keep passing on the TW store pick of RRSiB for $94 because that price is insane and those guys are terrible pickers.

• I like it 5

44 minutes ago, flahute said:

I keep passing on the TW store pick of RRSiB for $94 because that price is insane and those guys are terrible pickers.

Good call.  I recently paid $85 for some RRSiB at Lincoln Road but that's my price ceiling, and of course they have the track record to justify it.

• I like it 3

23 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Ha, I passed on it yesterday @ $89.99

• I like it 2

On 6/18/2022 at 1:57 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

$60 is the new MSRP. So not likely to be found for less. Such is the bourbon world these days.

• I like it 1

On 6/15/2022 at 3:18 PM, Marekv8 said:

Just - WOW

for a 160 bottle MSRP of $70 or $80.

Sell the whole barrel and make an extra $43K - greed is rampant.   I hope it lingers on the shelf for all of eternity, but somehow I doubt it.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Jazz June said:

$60 is the new MSRP. So not likely to be found for less. Such is the bourbon world these days.

Thanks @Jazz June. I didn’t know. 😐 The last bottle of HMcK 10 I remember seeing was three or four years ago. The price was $39.99. I passed back then too. 🙄

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Thanks @Jazz June. I didn’t know. 😐 The last bottle of HMcK 10 I remember seeing was three or four years ago. The price was $39.99. I passed back then too. 🙄

Biba! Joe

Before Fred blew up HMcK10 I could find it for $35 and I was very much a buyer and bought it often. Unfortunately I was not yet aware that one needed to stock up on what I knew was a value in case it suddenly became scarce. Lesson learned! I am now stocked up those that I think are undervalued in the event that people get smart. Or, that Fred tells them what to do and they all flock to it.

• I like it 4

12 minutes ago, flahute said:

Before Fred blew up HMcK10 I could find it for $35 and I was very much a buyer and bought it often. Unfortunately I was not yet aware that one needed to stock up on what I knew was a value in case it suddenly became scarce. Lesson learned! I am now stocked up those that I think are undervalued in the event that people get smart. Or, that Fred tells them what to do and they all flock to it.

I guess what goes around, comes around. Before the bottle I saw at Binny’s, that last bottle I saw was in Wisconsin. The first bottle I saw/bought was also in Wisconsin. It had to have been at least 12-14 years ago, and it was the kinda cool old bottle/label with the ribbon. Back then, many folks here talked about the citrus flavor they tasted in HH products. That HMcK 10 was the first HH product where I tasted that citrus flavor. It was there in no uncertain terms. I still remember the price. It was $24.99. 😎

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, flahute said:

I am now stocked up those that I think are undervalued in the event that people get smart. Or, that Fred tells them what to do and they all flock to it.

So what is considered undervalued in this rather pricey market?

PS:  I pay $60/HM10 with glee.  I really like and was not bourboning during the $35 days.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Anwalt said:

So what is considered undervalued in this rather pricey market?

PS:  I pay $60/HM10 with glee.  I really like and was not bourboning during the $35 days.

That’s a secret…lol just kidding. It all depends on what you like IMO.

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

That’s a secret…lol just kidding. It all depends on what you like IMO.

Lolz, still curious as to what present members of this August Forum view as "well priced" or, even better, "under priced".

I get the subjectivity.  Which is why I'm still buying HM10 by the case at $60/bottle.  Daddy just like it dat much.

• I like it 1

No doubt that “well priced” depends on what you like and what your Max price point for it might be. 

If you ask me, WT 101 is “well”, to “under” priced.  

• I like it 8

I would consider the George Dickel 15 year single barrel releases to be quite the value, especially for the 52% + ABV finds. 

• I like it 2

great question. certainly not mckenna 10 at $60, to me at least. 

in my neck of the woods currently, i see the fleeting values as eagle rare at 30, WSR at 23. I would have added EHTSmB at $40 a year ago, but thats over.  

I like rare breed or RRSiB, 1920, Bulleit blenders select, and uncut unfiltered for more $. These seem to be sticking around as well. Maybe not the uncut unfiltered and the Bulleit 4 roses blend though.

I think that EW1783, WT101, and OF100 and OF rye are underpriced for how they drink. Maybe pikesville at $46 as well.

just my 2 cents.

• I like it 6

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.