What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Kroger stores around Greenwood all seem to have an unusual amount of inventory from two craft producers - Simple Truth (Brown County) and Hotel Tango (Indianapolis).

Reading a few labels, it seems both companies go the craft route of sourcing young whiskey and having a line of flavored stuff they don't have to age.

I've never felt the need to buy any of this.

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, PaulO said:

The Kroger stores around Greenwood all seem to have an unusual amount of inventory from two craft producers - Simple Truth (Brown County) and Hotel Tango (Indianapolis).

Reading a few labels, it seems both companies go the craft route of sourcing young whiskey and having a line of flavored stuff they don't have to age.

Good choice.

• I like it 1

On 8/5/2022 at 11:16 PM, PaulO said:

Same in Brownsburg.  I also see some Hard Truth stuff.  I don't mind trying Indiana stuff even at a slight premium to support local production  But, the premium is more than slight.

• I like it 1

On 8/6/2022 at 12:23 PM, flahute said:

Good choice.

If only Woodinville would be $10 cheaper, Daddy would be a more frequent buyer.  Always a buyer at 30% off but not otherwise.  Still one of my favorite crafts.

• I like it 1

Not bourbon, of which I passed on many today, but I passed on a JD BP single barrel today.  I would have pulled the trigger but I am heading to Michigan in a couple of weeks.  Why buy whiskey at a discount when I can overpay?  Just kidding.  I have a few stores in the areas where I am going that I hope I can find something not available in Indy.  Keep in mind, I am a Colts fan so I am used to disappointment.  Yet, I still have hope.

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Same in Brownsburg.  I also see some Hard Truth stuff.  I don't mind trying Indiana stuff even at a slight premium to support local production  But, the premium is more than slight.

Yeah, nearly $30 for 2 year old stuff sourced from Columbus, OH. :wacko:

They have so much inventory.  I don't know if anyone is even buying any of it.

It makes me think I should tell the person in charge - there are some great legacy brands you could stock, but don't, instead of all this dead weight.

• I like it 1

Duty free in the Charlotte airport is holding some Blanton's.  I pass any day at 75.00 on this, but wasn’t an option as I was on a domestic flight….

FB03C713-CCA1-4EA0-A0BC-3A010472D001.jpeg

• I like it 1

So far I've held my ground not buying a FR SiB OESK barrel strength store pick for $99, but I gotta say, I am quite tempted to go pick it up tomorrow if it's not gone.

• I like it 2

wish i had that option.

Today, I passed on ER at 50, Blantons at 80,  RR SiB rye at 40, and OF Rye 100 at 32.

With hindsight, I am regretting not grabbing an OF rye and the RR SiB rye. 

I did buy 2 baby saz for 32 each though.

• I like it 2

On 7/30/2022 at 10:05 PM, steven s said:

HH Heritage Collection 17 yr- $495

Damn, I probably would have bought that after having a pour the other day, but I'm finding out how terrible I am at managing my bourbon budget so glad I didn't see it.

It was amazing, but I gotta hold on to the perspective that it's not as good as 12 bottles of 4R SiB, 6 bottles of ECBP, a nearly lifetime supply of EW BiB, etc.

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, steven s said:

wish i had that option.

Today, I passed on ER at 50, Blantons at 80,  RR SiB rye at 40, and OF Rye 100 at 32.

With hindsight, I am regretting not grabbing an OF rye and the RR SiB rye. 

I did buy 2 baby saz for 32 each though.

That’s a great price on the RR. You should absolutely go back and grab it.

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, Cibsie said:

So far I've held my ground not buying a FR SiB OESK barrel strength store pick for $99, but I gotta say, I am quite tempted to go pick it up tomorrow if it's not gone.

I would balk at that price too after paying under 70 for many years.  Having said that, OESK is my favorite recipe and there are plenty of $99 bourbons I have purchased that are not as good as that bottle.

• I like it 3

15 hours ago, Kepler said:

I would balk at that price too after paying under 70 for many years.  Having said that, OESK is my favorite recipe and there are plenty of $99 bourbons I have purchased that are not as good as that bottle.

OESK and OBSK are my favorites as well. 

A local has 5 OBSK in a lottery for $119.99. 

I have consistently passed since the price crossed $70.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

OESK and OBSK are my favorites as well. 

A local has 5 OBSK in a lottery for $119.99. 

I have consistently passed since the price crossed $70.

Anyone please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. I seem to remember when FR’s first started bottling the ten recipes years ago, the cost was between $45.00 and $50.00. Buehler? 🤔

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

37 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Anyone please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. I seem to remember when FR’s first started bottling the ten recipes years ago, the cost was between $45.00 and $50.00. Buehler? 🤔

Biba! Joe

You bet Joe, I was buying any of the 10 recipes at TPS around $45 in 2010.

Prost!!  

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 1

25 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Prost!!  

Thanks Phil. I am president of the CRS Club ya’ know. 🫤

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

5 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Thanks Phil. I am president of the CRS Club ya’ know. 🫤

Biba! Joe

And I am the VP. 🤪

Prost!!  Phil 

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Yep! I remember those days well.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Me too.  Another of the “if only I had known then” group.

• I like it 3

14 minutes ago, BigRich said:

I do have a large bunker of 4R private selects but not because I feared future prices. I just got obsessed with getting all 10 recipes and then with getting more of certain ones I like. It's good to be lucky sometimes.

• I like it 5

Passed on this nonsense:

Eagle Rare 10 @ $100

ETL @ $400

BT @ $60

This place (Smiths Liquors in Middletown DE)

Had many ordinary bottles listed at monstrous prices that had me chuckling and crying inside.

• I like it 3

Yep, all 10 recipes in Indy for $44.99, then $49.99. I remember a jump to $54.99, then they disappeared. Now an occasional barrel shows up but they either sell out in minutes or are set aside for lotteries. Of course, the price is close to $100.

Same thing with SiB, $29.99, $35.99, then gone. Returned priced $49.99 to $54.99. Now it can be found for less than $40 again. 

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 3

On 6/25/2022 at 9:52 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Needless to say, my post conflated SEVERAL threads - "What bourbon did you pass" (uh, the 4R YL at $36 which was AT LEAST $10 higher than it should have been)  and "What other spirit are you drinking" AND "Cocktails"  AND "What's on the cooker?" AND OF COURSE "What bourbon . . ."

When that Demon Jack Daniels grabs you by the short hairs, there's NO TELLING what schmutz will arise!

Uh, cheese.  Yeah - thin sliced provolone - REALLY thin so it melted in there.  Deli has a side business smoking briskets and ribs, catering, selling prime meats in a butcher shop (which is where I get my prime packer briskets and stuffable pork chops and whole salmon fillets), as well as sandwiches made to order on fresh baked bread/rolls/etc. from a local bakery.

The tapioca with cherry sauce was classic tapioca with homemade cherry sauce.  Cherries came from Florida.  Wife does the menus and grocery shopping.  I just grill/smoke meats to order (and buy what meat is needed), mix the drinks, pour the wine, and CONSUME!

Oh, I am skullery, too.  Doing dishes and wiping counters is my contribution to the meal.

EDIT - Just read what I wrote.  I sure hope this bottle of JD BIB has a bottom.  Otherwise, I be posting for DAYS!

This is the juicy classic kind of writing that keeps me coming back for more from HarryFromDC, makes me so happy

• I like it 2

10 minutes ago, Dannabis said:

This is the juicy classic kind of writing that keeps me coming back for more from HarryFromDC, makes me so happy

That’s because, unlike my wife of 47 years, you guys don’t roll your eyes when I ( try to) make a funny.  At least I can’t SEE you do it.  So thanks.

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, Phil T said:

Prost!!  

2 hours ago, flahute said:

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

The reason I was asking was because the recipes mentioned above brought back a memory. Part of it is funny. We had one of our get togethers at Binny’s South Loop store. Joe Maloney brought “the carts” out. We tasted for a while and had a good meal across the street at Manny’s. A good time was had by all. I had intended to buy a bottle of OBSO. On the way out I grabbed one, and I also grabbed a Binny’s private pick Blanton’s. IIRC, the FR was $45.99 and the Blanton’s was $47.99. A few days later, I opened the FR. I had to shake my head and chuckle to myself. I’d grabbed an OESO instead of an OBSO. 😂 Oh well, it was still good. 😉

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.