What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Local chain grocery store had a few bottles of Calumet 16yr for $124.99. I almost fell into the "savings" trap and buy one because it's $170 everywhere else. I reminded my self the 15yr is still everywhere for ~$100 if I really wanted Calument, and I have a couple unopened Sam Houstons in the bunker along with an open one if I craved high aged Barton juice. 

Edited by BogusOwnz
  • I like it 2

12 hours ago, CaptTim said:

125.00 for the 16yr Calumet would be very tempting 

I would've bought a couple.  Best price that I've seen. 

• I like it 2

Passed on the new Willett today for $600, Blantons at $300, and BT at $50.  This store used to be decent, but I think I'm done with them.

• I like it 1

On 9/23/2022 at 5:21 AM, BigRich said:

How do you feel about Calumet 16 at $150? I passed on it today for that price in favor of the 15 for $100.

• I like it 3

Earlier this evening we stopped to grab something to bring home for supper. We took a different route home, and my wife graciously stopped for me to take a look see at a liquor store I haven’t been to in quite a while. It’s in a small strip mall, and quite frankly, I keep forgetting it’s there. 😏 I was a little surprised by a few things they had, but then I saw the prices. I passed on BT for $45.95, Weller SR for $50.99 and ER for $79.99. It didn’t dawn on me till I started this post that those prices are pretty much twice msrp. 😡

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

Saw a RR13 today at a tiny store within walking distance of my house that usually only has the bare essentials (needed some last minute wine for cooking). I almost did a double take. Priced at $199.99, so passed, but gave it a couple seconds of thought.

• I like it 4

We had to stop at Sam’s Club yesterday. They had Baby Saz on the shelf. I was tempted, but I passed. It wasn’t the price. This is the best   price I’ve seen on Baby Saz in years. 😯

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

We had to stop at Sam’s Club yesterday. They had Baby Saz on the shelf. I was tempted, but I passed. It wasn’t the price. This is the best   price I’ve seen on Baby Saz in years. 😯

Interesting that baby Saz has gone from $30 to $40+ and allocated to under $25 and sitting on the shelf. 

• I like it 2

7 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Interesting that baby Saz has gone from $30 to $40+ and allocated to under $25 and sitting on the shelf. 

It's still very allocated here in Virginia, but take a trip to New Orleans and the stuff is everywhere (on a par with Jack Daniels and Beam White). I find it a great mixing rye, albeit one that is pretty "bourbony," but can't imagine chasing it. I'd just buy some Wild Turkey 101 rye or Old Forester rye for a few bucks less and be more than happy. I haven't had any picks of Sazerac, so I would be interested in how those come out.

• I like it 1

50 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Ditto @fosmith. 👍 When I first got into this “hobby” back in 2007-2008, there was a semi local store that did a private pick of Baby Saz. I bought one and liked it. Whenever I was in the area, I’d buy another. IIRC, the price was $21.99-$23.99. Over the years the price crept up and up. It got to the point that $39.99 was the going rate, with a few places charging near $50.00. Also and FWIW, yes, in days gone by The Weller Whore used to enjoy a good rye on occasion. 😛

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.5a766cbc1f619cf9d550c41da95221aa.jpegimage.jpeg.50d4b9ee19b7fcf565a5d39926cc2190.jpeg

• I like it 6

22 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

Saw a RR13 today at a tiny store within walking distance of my house that usually only has the bare essentials (needed some last minute wine for cooking). I almost did a double take. Priced at $199.99, so passed, but gave it a couple seconds of thought.

Got one for $145 yesterday.. msrp. Love phone calls like that! But anyway, your price isnt super marked up i guess is my point

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 3

45 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Ditto @fosmith. 👍 When I first got into this “hobby” back in 2007-2008, there was a semi local store that did a private pick of Baby Saz. I bought one and liked it. Whenever I was in the area, I’d buy another. IIRC, the price was $21.99-$23.99. Over the years the price crept up and up. It got to the point that $39.99 was the going rate, with a few places charging near $50.00. Also and FWIW, yes, in days gone by The Weller Whore used to enjoy a good rye on occasion. 😛

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.5a766cbc1f619cf9d550c41da95221aa.jpegimage.jpeg.50d4b9ee19b7fcf565a5d39926cc2190.jpeg

Do u remember if you preferred the Thomas Handy over the Rittenhouse? Or vicee versaa?

Passing on a GTS  2018 @ $1,500 plus local tax BUT I may talk myself into one or more HH BIB 7yr @ $99 if there's some left when I get to the store.  Store is near some hotels so the prices reflect the tourist markup.  FWIW, I already have about a half bottle of a GTS 2018 in the back of the shelf - picked it up for $200 back in 2018 and was told by more than one sipper back then that I'd overpaid.  NOW, those same sippers are saying, "What a steal!"  

[INSERT - While typing this, I cogitated re: the HH and then checked with the store.  SEE BELOW!]

AH!!  The store says they'll deliver the HH to my house for a small fee.  Wife will be shopping on Tuesday.  Methinks a delivery will occur thence.  I'm on a "No more bourbon until you drink down the bottles in the corner of the dining room floor" directive.  But HH BIB 7 is just impossible to find here, and I have room in the car trunk and in the basement bunker where she fears to tread . . .  ASIDE - logging off to go get my credit card and place the order on line.  THX!! for not trying to talk me down off the ledge.😉

• I like it 6

2 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Do u remember if you preferred the Thomas Handy over the Rittenhouse? Or vicee versaa?

I liked the Ritt 23 more than the Handy. I was surprised it wasn’t overly woody. I found the Ritt 23 while on vacation in Marco Island Florida in 2009. They had it on sale at an absolutely crazy good price. I ended up buying 3. Imagine my surprise when they still had a bunch left the next year. I bought 4 more. FWIW, I did share my bounty. 😎

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

Stopped by an old favorite "honey hole" store while new car shopping yesterday. Used to be able to buy Blanton's Gold and SFTB there (750ml) every once in a while.  While the price was probably double the Duty Free prices in Bermuda, at least they had some!  Nope, only regular 93pf Blanton's for $155 and WSR for $95 in the locked cabinet.  Guess "The Old Man" died and the kids are running the store now - no need to stop in again . . . . . . .  😡

• I like it 4

I have a KC18 waiting for me but passed on the opportunity to buy a second. Im  certain this decision will haunt my future self. 

• I like it 3

22 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

I would happily drink the entirety of both these photos

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Stopped by an old favorite "honey hole" store while new car shopping yesterday. Used to be able to buy Blanton's Gold and SFTB there (750ml) every once in a while.  While the price was probably double the Duty Free prices in Bermuda, at least they had some!  Nope, only regular 93pf Blanton's for $155 and WSR for $95 in the locked cabinet.  Guess "The Old Man" died and the kids are running the store now - no need to stop in again . . . . . . .  😡

Only place down here I've seen Blanton's regularly (like, last week) has the original 93 for $180, the Gold for $450, and the 6 bottle 50ml variety pack (which I haven't seen in years) for $350. WSR was $99.  I drooled a lot but shook it off and walked away.  Looking forward to my HH BIB 7 delivery on Tuesday.  I guess at those prices, we know why the store has them in stock.B):rolleyes:

• I like it 2

On 9/30/2022 at 3:12 PM, JakeySnakes said:

The tater in me says pounce. I drank several pours over a couple evenings in a bar and thought it was some of the best WT I have had, and I have had a few of the LE's and many RRSiB's. Have not seen one anywhere at any price in my (broad) neck of the woods.

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, steven s said:

The tater in me says pounce.

Tried it.  Worth it.  I'd pay $250, happily, now having tried the RR13.  Don't what whoever made up the MSRP says.

On 9/23/2022 at 8:21 AM, BigRich said:

Same...well....I'd have bought one.

On 10/1/2022 at 3:38 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Passing on a GTS  2018 @ $1,500 plus local tax BUT I may talk myself into one or more HH BIB 7yr @ $99 if there's some left when I get to the store.  Store is near some hotels so the prices reflect the tourist markup.  FWIW, I already have about a half bottle of a GTS 2018 in the back of the shelf - picked it up for $200 back in 2018 and was told by more than one sipper back then that I'd overpaid.  NOW, those same sippers are saying, "What a steal!"  

[INSERT - While typing this, I cogitated re: the HH and then checked with the store.  SEE BELOW!]

AH!!  The store says they'll deliver the HH to my house for a small fee.  Wife will be shopping on Tuesday.  Methinks a delivery will occur thence.  I'm on a "No more bourbon until you drink down the bottles in the corner of the dining room floor" directive.  But HH BIB 7 is just impossible to find here, and I have room in the car trunk and in the basement bunker where she fears to tread . . .  ASIDE - logging off to go get my credit card and place the order on line.  THX!! for not trying to talk me down off the ledge.😉

I'm under the same directive yet, somehow,  I came home yesterday with 6 bottles after visiting family down in VA Beach. 😑

In my defense, a couple bottles were EW eggnog, for the Missus, one bottle is an Islay scotch that I rarely see on any shelves around here and one bottle a re-stock of Amaro Montenegro.   I plead the 5th on the BBC & NR Rye

😅

• I like it 2

On 9/24/2022 at 9:33 PM, flahute said:

How do you feel about Calumet 16 at $150? I passed on it today for that price in favor of the 15 for $100.

I mean, i've only bought two at that price. :)

• I like it 1

52 minutes ago, BigRich said:

I mean, i've only bought two at that price. :)

Uh oh..you’re going to smokinjoe me aren’t you?😂

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.