What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Yellowstone and Rebel Yell were my first bourbons way back when I was an underage teen. 🤫 

Biba! Joe

I didn’t realize those brands had been around that long 😁🥃

• I like it 3

Just now, 0895 said:

Here @0895, hold this for me…….. 🤗

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

At least he didn't ask you to pull his finger - us old guys do that a lot (more lately)!   🤣

• I like it 5

After reading and talking about the Calumet 16 yr just the other day.   I was all ready to pull the trigger on a bottle... I had it in my hand but just couldn't do at 149.00 plus tax, it was just too much for me.  Now if I could have tasted it first I may have walked out with it. 

I have enough bourbon, I have enough bourbon...

I am down to a hand full of regular sippers,  many in the less than $50 range that I like..

• I like it 5

Almost bought an Obtainium Light Whiskey today but left it on the shelf.  I was definitely intrigued at the 73% ABV, so there's a chance I'll go back and grab it.  Has anyone here tried this?

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, CaptTim said:

After reading and talking about the Calumet 16 yr just the other day.   I was all ready to pull the trigger on a bottle... I had it in my hand but just couldn't do at 149.00 plus tax, it was just too much for me.  Now if I could have tasted it first I may have walked out with it. 

I have enough bourbon, I have enough bourbon...

I am down to a hand full of regular sippers,  many in the less than $50 range that I like..

I have enough bourbon.

I have enough bourbon. 

Let's all repeat the mantra a few times.

.. I have enough bourbon

• I like it 3

2 minutes ago, Dannabis said:

I have enough bourbon.

I have enough bourbon.

Sounds like the adults in a Charlie Brown clip.

I do not understand.

• I like it 5

Today, I was in a higher end store in the Indy area and I saw HH7, Blanton's, ECBP, and FRSiB in their raffle case.

Went down to another national store since it was close to where we were having dinner.  I watched person after person step up to the Spirits Direct sample table and listed to the same silly spiel.  Two younger women who had their cart full told the guy at the table they were looking for something that would work well in an Old Fashioned.  He rattled off several overpriced Spirits Direct bottles and passed over several stellar bourbons and ryes available at a lower cost.

I was tempted but opted not to intervene.  What really ticked me off was they had several bottles that were knock offs of major brands both in bottle style and name. It pretty much convinced me that I really don't like this store at all.  

• I like it 5

Ah, shopping in Nora I see. 😄

It reminds me.  We didn't have a Walmart in Center Grove for years.  Walmart insisted, and it finally got built.  I used to think Walmart was only for hillbillies and poor people, but I've sort of changed my mind.  I will shop there for some things.

So now we have a TW store out by the mall.  I guess I have the same strategy - cherry pick certain items.  If I want spirits advice, I'll visit straightbourbon.com.

• I like it 7

On 9/3/2022 at 9:02 PM, FasterHorses said:

4R BP @$135… No

I pity the newbies just discovering bourbon/rye. A mere 10-12 yrs ago these were 50.00 and those interested in acquiring all 10 recipes thought   long and hard about the 500 or so spend, there were threads discussing this very topic. The distilleries were profitable at those prices, had well appointed visitors centers and “experiences”. Weller 12 was stacked floor to ceiling for 20 something bucks. It was easy to taste through all the majors and get a solid handle on who did what and In the process, establish one’s preferences.
The only corporate cycle em through experience I had back then was Woodford, beautiful facility but the experience was a bit cold. 4R by contrast was a warm and inviting atmosphere each and every time over the years until this most recent visit where it now too feels more like an airport terminal. 

I am glad for the wealth of choices we have today and also glad I can safely navigate the jungle. I am also put off by the ever increasing prices and proliferation of NDPs. Good damn thing I over bought back in the day LOL!!

A best of times/ worst of times scenario, lots of potential for expensive mistakes. I am somewhat resigned to the new pricing structure but qualify it with a taste before buying requirement. Fortunately I am within a reasonable drive to KY and mostly restrict experimental purchases to distillery picks to save myself the pain of a higher dollar misstep. 
Glad for WTRB/ 101/ 4RSB/ OGD bonded and 114 to keep the rest of the bunker at a comfortable level.

The  charm of this hobby has steadily eroded But SB keeps the fires lit so at least we have each other LOL!!
Slainte🥃

• I like it 15

Recently I passed on an offer of regular Sazerac Rye.

Today I passed on a single barrel selection of BT (wasn't even on the shelf yet).

Both at MSRP.  It's stuff that's just not that interesting to me.  I'd rather drink WT.

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

Today I passed on a single barrel selection of BT (wasn't even on the shelf yet).

Both at MSRP.  It's stuff that's just not that interesting to me.  I'd rather drink WT.

Hear hear, BT products get a lot of praise from normies, but I haven't really wanted to pick up a second bottle of anything I have purchased.  Even Blanton's SFTB was kind of a let down.  While easy drinking, it was just easy.  But hey, I am soft in the middle, and the rest of my life is so hard. 

• I like it 4

14 hours ago, PaulO said:

Agree on the baby Saz but I've had some store picks of BT that have been really, really good.  Standard BT, I never buy; it's just boring, IMO. 

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, Erk Russel Reserve said:

Hear hear, BT products get a lot of praise from normies, but I haven't really wanted to pick up a second bottle of anything I have purchased.  Even Blanton's SFTB was kind of a let down.  While easy drinking, it was just easy.  But hey, I am soft in the middle, and the rest of my life is so hard. 

I must be a "normie" since the BT profile really works for me...unfortunately in the age of allocation.  Not quite to the level of @fishnbowljoe but I'm a pretty big Weller whore.  I think my official title is Weller Skank (Weller Whore-in-waiting).  The rye recipe bourbons are right up my alley as well. Love Stagg Jr. almost as much as my wife does.  Big RHF and B Gold fan as well. Regular Blanton's is decent bourbon usually but I do agree it is way over-hyped and priced.  Even regular BT and ER10 are above average pours for me.  Some of the PS of those can be stellar.  Maybe its something in their water. 🤷‍♂️

• I like it 13

On 8/30/2022 at 4:21 PM, 0895 said:

On 8/30/2022 at 4:24 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Nah ... that would be Old Crow 😁

• I like it 2

On 9/6/2022 at 9:02 AM, kcgumbohead said:

But SB keeps the fires lit so at least we have each other LOL!!

Slainte🥃

Well said!

Na zadrowie!!

On 9/8/2022 at 9:56 AM, Clueby said:

I must be a "normie" since the BT profile really works for me...unfortunately in the age of allocation.  Not quite to the level of @fishnbowljoe but I'm a pretty big Weller whore.  I think my official title is Weller Skank (Weller Whore-in-waiting).  The rye recipe bourbons are right up my alley as well. Love Stagg Jr. almost as much as my wife does.  Big RHF and B Gold fan as well. Regular Blanton's is decent bourbon usually but I do agree it is way over-hyped and priced.  Even regular BT and ER10 are above average pours for me.  Some of the PS of those can be stellar.  Maybe its something in their water. 🤷‍♂️

#wellerskank ha!

• I like it 2

On 9/6/2022 at 11:02 AM, kcgumbohead said:

I pity the newbies just discovering bourbon/rye. A mere 10-12 yrs ago these were 50.00 and those interested in acquiring all 10 recipes thought   long and hard about the 500 or so spend, there were threads discussing this very topic. The distilleries were profitable at those prices, had well appointed visitors centers and “experiences”. Weller 12 was stacked floor to ceiling for 20 something bucks. It was easy to taste through all the majors and get a solid handle on who did what and In the process, establish one’s preferences.
The only corporate cycle em through experience I had back then was Woodford, beautiful facility but the experience was a bit cold. 4R by contrast was a warm and inviting atmosphere each and every time over the years until this most recent visit where it now too feels more like an airport terminal. 

I am glad for the wealth of choices we have today and also glad I can safely navigate the jungle. I am also put off by the ever increasing prices and proliferation of NDPs. Good damn thing I over bought back in the day LOL!!

A best of times/ worst of times scenario, lots of potential for expensive mistakes. I am somewhat resigned to the new pricing structure but qualify it with a taste before buying requirement. Fortunately I am within a reasonable drive to KY and mostly restrict experimental purchases to distillery picks to save myself the pain of a higher dollar misstep. 
Glad for WTRB/ 101/ 4RSB/ OGD bonded and 114 to keep the rest of the bunker at a comfortable level.

The  charm of this hobby has steadily eroded But SB keeps the fires lit so at least we have each other LOL!!
Slainte🥃

I couldn't agree more with the 4R airport terminal feeling.   The place got museum cold - and they spend more time trying to sell you rose shaped ice molds then they do sharing their passion for bourbon.   This was all part of the Napafication of the Bourbon Trail, but I go to Cox's Creek and sigh and say this feels like home.

• I like it 1

Passed on Castle & Key Small Batch 5 and Castle & Key Restoration Rye.  This is the first time I have seen either in my area.  The bourbon was limited to one bottle since it is "allocated.".  Apparently, the first batches released outside of the distillery received decent reviews and sold out quickly.  While intrigued I wasn't willing to pay up for a 4 year old bourbon or 3.5 year old rye without trying first.  So, while one store had a big display of the bourbon, they said the distillery would sacrifice a sample bottle.

Missed out on standard Yellowstone 93 proof for $24.99.  I have never tried it since it is usually $40-$50.  The local Meijer was clearing it out.  The shelf had been wiped clean.  I would have picked one up on the cheap just to try something different.

• I like it 3

Seems like a really good deal.  I mean, it's Duty Free right?

Long gone are those nice Wild Turkey NCF RBs & 13y at Atlanta Duty Free.

The Blantons excepted, mundane bottles at mundane prices.  

ATL Blantons.jpg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Seems like a really good deal.  I mean, it's Duty Free right?

Long gone are those nice Wild Turkey NCF RBs & 13y at Atlanta Duty Free.

The Blantons excepted, mundane bottles at mundane prices.  

ATL Blantons.jpg

Not that long ago Booker's was $35 at ATL and $40 at SFO.  This is no longer the case. 

• I like it 2

I saw this shelf place holder for bottle(s) held in the locked case - Borchetta Bourbon $275.99.

And this was in not a high end grocery store. 🤔 WTF all around

• I like it 2

On 9/11/2022 at 8:40 AM, geclbxf said:

I couldn't agree more with the 4R airport terminal feeling.   The place got museum cold - and they spend more time trying to sell you rose shaped ice molds then they do sharing their passion for bourbon.   This was all part of the Napafication of the Bourbon Trail, but I go to Cox's Creek and sigh and say this feels like home.

I would like to see them re-purpose the old distillery visitors center as a MM members “clubhouse” there are certainly plenty of members at this point. Offer a bar experience with the LEs and maybe all 10 recipes on offer. Perhaps even MM exclusive BP bottlings for sale, why let that structure go to waste? Leave the terminal to the “ bourbon bros “ of which there was no short supply during my brief visit. 
How about some velvet ropes at the entrance to add to the allure, that would make some tater heads explode for sure!! On that note, tater tots must certainly be on the MM members lounge snack menu!!
I doubt they would do it but I would certainly consider returning if they did. I may stop by Coxs Creek next year but the distillery is a pass going forward, too bad as I have many fond memories of that place.

Edited by kcgumbohead
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.