What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

38 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

We had to go out and pick up a couple of things today. Sam’s Club had some things I posted about before, plus something new. I have yet to see the Member’s Mark bourbon, but our store had Member’s Mark Blended Scotch. :huh: The also had Johnnie Walker Blue. 😯 One stop we had to make on the way home was at a place where I swore off their liquor department a while back. Yes, still tater stuff in the locked case near the customer service counter. Passed on everything at both places.

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My local Costco has the JD BIB for $28.99 and I still find myself passing.  It is a pretty cool bottle.  I suspect one day I will walk out with one. 

The local Meijer has had the Triple Mash for $49.99.  I have read mixed reviews so I prefer to try before I buy.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 3

On 6/30/2022 at 9:48 PM, 0895 said:

The Weller Antique is probably all in with  the cauliflower, hence why I’ve never seen it.

You don’t eat cauliflower?

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

You don’t eat cauliflower?

Not really a fan.

I’ll take broccoli, asparagus, or brussels sprouts as an alternative though.

13 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

I'd have grabbed a triple mash just 'cause not seeing it around here.  It's shows in our system at $39 so maybe we'll see it soon.

The Triple Mash is worth a pick up but not at $80.  I recently got one at msrp and it's pretty good but not worth chasing, IMO.  I don't regret the purchase but probably won't buy another bottle..

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

We had to go out and pick up a couple of things today. Sam’s Club had some things I posted about before, plus something new. I have yet to see the Member’s Mark bourbon, but our store had Member’s Mark Blended Scotch. :huh: The also had Johnnie Walker Blue. 😯 One stop we had to make on the way home was at a place where I swore off their liquor department a while back. Yes, still tater stuff in the locked case near the customer service counter. Passed on everything at both places.

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That Peerless bourbon is only $16 away from me maybe trying it.  The rye, not so much.  They are pretty consistently $79 bourbon and $100 rye in Atlanta.  No way brother. 

Edited by BigRich
  • I like it 2

So not my pass but I got the assist.  A buddy text's me on Friday and asks what a good price is for a six bottle set of Weller: SR, Antique, SiB, CYPB, FP, and 12.  So I give him a range in the low to mid hundreds with my opinions, msrp's, why's, caveats, etc.

He comes back with "Damn, I'm glad that I hit you up for a sanity check."

Me: "what were they asking?"

Him: "$3,500"

• I like it 5

23 hours ago, BigRich said:

So not my pass but I got the assist.  A buddy text's me on Friday and asks what a good price is for a six bottle set of Weller: SR, Antique, SiB, CYPB, FP, and 12.  So I give him a range in the low to mid hundreds with my opinions, msrp's, why's, caveats, etc.

For about $400 worth of bourbon at MSRP - SMH

• I like it 2

Not bourbon but I did pass on JD Triple Mash today.  The price was $34,99 on sale.  They claim the regular price is $57.99 while I have read that the MSRP is $33.  This is still the cheapest price I have seen.

• I like it 1

On 7/10/2022 at 8:25 PM, mbroo5880i said:

My local Costco has the JD BIB for $28.99 and I still find myself passing.  It is a pretty cool bottle.  I suspect one day I will walk out with one. 

The local Meijer has had the Triple Mash for $49.99.  I have read mixed reviews so I prefer to try before I buy.

I don't think I could pass up the BiB for that price.

I agree, that it's a cool bottle, (I bought one for ~ $30-something on vacation), but that 700ml size really rubs me the wrong way.

That being said, it's good whiskey and I wouldn't have a problem buying it again, if the price was right. 

• I like it 1

On 7/11/2022 at 10:34 AM, BigRich said:

That's just stupid.

• I like it 1

Three bottles of Blanton's sitting in a case at the grocery store.  I have an open and rarely reach for it.  No need to buy any more.  I know it's a difficult find for a lot of people.

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, berto said:

Three bottles of Blanton's sitting in a case at the grocery store.  I have an open and rarely reach for it.  No need to buy any more.  I know it's a difficult find for a lot of people.

Just curious. What was the price?

I still look and ask just ‘cause. I like Blanton’s, and usually have a bottle open on my shelf. The problem is, besides the open bottle on my shelf, I only have a couple left in the bunker. ☹️ Reckon they might have to last. I ain’t gonna pay tater prices. 🤬

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I still look and ask just ‘cause. I like Blanton’s, and usually have a bottle open on my shelf. The problem is, besides the open bottle on my shelf, I only have a couple left in the bunker. ☹️ Reckon they might have to last. I ain’t gonna pay tater prices. 🤬

Biba! Joe

I actually have only one bottle of Blanton's remaining and it is open.  It sits on the back of the shelf.  I rarely reach for it.  Not that it isn't enjoyable but I keep it hidden just in case when I ask a visitor if they would like a pour and they ask if I have Blanton's.  Similar to you, if I see another bottle and the price is right, I will pick up one up if not for me then for others to enjoy.  I have a niece who enjoys Blanton's with Sprite.  I am ok with that provided the key word "enjoys" is involved.

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

It was MSRPish so $60-$70.  Might have even been a discount for buying 6 bottles total.  

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

4 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I actually have only one bottle of Blanton's remaining and it is open.  It sits on the back of the shelf.  I rarely reach for it.  Not that it isn't enjoyable but I keep it hidden just in case when I ask a visitor if they would like a pour and they ask if I have Blanton's.  Similar to you, if I see another bottle and the price is right, I will pick up one up if not for me then for others to enjoy.  I have a niece who enjoys Blanton's with Sprite.  I am ok with that provided the key word "enjoys" is involved.

I'm not sayin' a word, but if a brother needs a bail-out bottle (or a lettered horsey top), please feel free to let me know.  Guess we must have  a pipeline to Frankfort or sumpthin' up here . . . . .  🙃

• I like it 7

11 hours ago, berto said:

It was MSRPish so $60-$70.  Might have even been a discount for buying 6 bottles total.

Safeway?  LOL!  That's my go to for Blanton's.  I've picked up several bottles for msrp at my local Safeway.

• I like it 1

Left this one on the shelf.  Fortunately (for my wallet), I got to try it at a gathering and learned it’s not in my wheelhouse.

And before one of you smart asses chimes in, Im not referring to the BT.  😁

1A1ECE2B-2560-43A9-BD0C-87D19C9BC43C.jpeg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 4

49 minutes ago, 0895 said:

And before one of you smart asses chimes in, Im not referring to the BT. 😁

Muwaaaaaaaaaaahaaahaaaa! 🦬

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

• I like it 4

15 hours ago, 0895 said:

Left this one on the shelf.  Fortunately (for my wallet), I got to try it at a gathering and learned it’s not in my wheelhouse.

And before one of you smart asses chimes in, Im not referring to the BT.  😁

I DID pick one up but tried it at rhe same gathering you did and found it's also not in my wheelhouse either. So now I'm trying to figure out what to do with my unopened bottle.

52 minutes ago, Clueby said:

now I'm trying to figure out what to do with my unopened bottle.

😁

• I like it 4

Not 00necessarily bourbon but passed on Old Elk Double Wheat and Old Elk Four Grain.  Even curiosity couldn't convince me that it's worth $104.99 per bottle. 

Passed on French Lick Wheated Straight Bourbon for $49.99. I was mildly interested until I read the label. It is a blend of 5 to 6 year old bourbon from Wyoming with their two year old bourbon.

• I like it 3

Calumet 16 year for $142.00

I bought a couple bottles of the 14 year for ~ $119.00, a while back and it's excellent.   It's a very balanced whiskey, with a profile that sits squarely in my wheelhouse.  Those extra couple years in oak gave me pause.   I might be willing to pay the extra $$ for the 16 year, but only if I can try it first.   

That, and I'm making a concerted effort to cull some open bottles before making any new purchases. 😉

• I like it 2

27 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Calumet 16 year for $142.00

I bought a couple bottles of the 14 year for ~ $119.00, a while back and it's excellent.   It's a very balanced whiskey, with a profile that sits squarely in my wheelhouse.  Those extra couple years in oak gave me pause.   I might be willing to pay the extra $$ for the 16 year, but only if I can try it first.   

That, and I'm making a concerted effort to cull some open bottles before making any new purchases. 😉

I think its worth buying - my fav Calumet to date.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.