What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

The reason I was asking was because the recipes mentioned above brought back a memory. Part of it is funny. We had one of our get togethers at Binny’s South Loop store. Joe Maloney brought “the carts” out. We tasted for a while and had a good meal across the street at Manny’s. A good time was had by all. I had intended to buy a bottle of OBSO. On the way out I grabbed one, and I also grabbed a Binny’s private pick Blanton’s. IIRC, the FR was $45.99 and the Blanton’s was $47.99. A few days later, I opened the FR. I had to shake my head and chuckle to myself. I’d grabbed an OESO instead of an OBSO. 😂 Oh well, it was still good. 😉

Biba! Joe

I have only tried OESO once and it was my least favorite of the 10 recipes.  That is like saying Kate Jackson was the least attractive of Charlie's Angels.

• I like it 7

On 8/12/2022 at 1:30 AM, steven s said:

wish i had that option.

Today, I passed on ER at 50, Blantons at 80,  RR SiB rye at 40, and OF Rye 100 at 32.

With hindsight, I am regretting not grabbing an OF rye and the RR SiB rye. 

I did buy 2 baby saz for 32 each though.

Pulling the trigger on two Baby Saz at $32 each but passing on the RR SiB Rye at $40 does not compute!   Since the RRSiB Rye is, like, ten times better tasting than Baby Saz. Heha.

Yes, go back and pick up that RR Rye!  😀

• I like it 1

At JKs liquor warehouse

I passed on 

EC18 for $400

ER10 for $129

Kentucky Fool erm Owl for $199

BT for $99

And

EC Toasted for $199

DE is full of gougers and tater bait so far.

But I did get a 375mL of JDSB BP for ~25$ which I like as two of em adds up to be cheaper than the regular strength JDSB

• I like it 2

On 8/13/2022 at 6:01 PM, flahute said:

I do have a large bunker of 4R private selects but not because I feared future prices. I just got obsessed with getting all 10 recipes and then with getting more of certain ones I like. It's good to be lucky sometimes.

Well yeah, but I only have like twelve more left.  

• I like it 2

Passed on Blantons for 150$ at one place and for 100$ at another.

Took home a Painted Stave Bonded Bourbon for 41$. No clue if it is any good but it is a local Delaware bourbon so I am excited to try it

1 hour ago, Dannabis said:

Passed on Blantons for 150$ at one place and for 100$ at another.

Took home a Painted Stave Bonded Bourbon for 41$. No clue if it is any good but it is a local Delaware bourbon so I am excited to try it

It's great to see more and more craft distillers announcing the quality of their product by putting out bonded whiskey.

• I like it 1

24 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

It's great to see more and more craft distillers announcing the quality of their product by putting out bonded whiskey.

While it’s better than what is usually provided by craft distilleries, I don’t take a whiskey being declared BIB by one to necessarily indicate quality, per se.  Really, it just says this is what they produce at 100 proof, at least 4 years old, and from one distilling season.  

And, them calling it BIB does not necessarily indicate that they distilled and aged it, either.  Read the label closely!  A distillery here in Atlanta began pushing their BIB bourbon a couple years back. Fancy neck tag proclaiming the virtues of the Bottled in Bond Act and how important it is, a semi-official looking faux bonded sticker, and declaration of their pride in offering their BIB bourbon….

I missed the fine print:  “Produced” by them in Atlanta, GA.  A hokey picture of an old building on the label showed the IN DSP.  Sourced.  😫

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

While it’s better than what is usually provided by craft distilleries, I don’t take a whiskey being declared BIB by one to necessarily indicate quality, per se.  Really, it just says this is what they produce at 100 proof, at least 4 years old, and from one distilling season.  

And, them calling it BIB does not necessarily indicate that they distilled and aged it, either.  Read the label closely!  A distillery here in Atlanta began pushing their BIB bourbon a couple years back. Fancy neck tag proclaiming the virtues of the Bottled in Bond Act and how important it is, a semi-official looking faux bonded sticker, and declaration of their pride in offering their BIB bourbon….

I missed the fine print:  “Produced” by them in Atlanta, GA.  A hokey picture of an old building on the label showed the IN DSP.  Sourced.  😫

Wait, what pardon my ignorance. But doesn't bib need to be under one master distiller also? Can another producer call their product bib if they didn't make it?

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I don’t take a whiskey being declared BIB by one to necessarily indicate quality, per se.  Really, it just says this is what they produce at 100 proof, at least 4 years old, and from one distilling season.  

What better way to get to know the character of a distillerys product?

BIB seems to be of an age where I can taste much of the character that they are capable of. Obviously it won't be as interesting as if they had an 8 or 12 year juice.

They did have their Delaware dsp on the bottle so I assume they distilled it themselves.

But I will go to the distillery in a day or two and put the tenterhooks to em and get answers.

I do hear ya loud and clear though, it could be swill and I am taking a gamble by buying it.

• I like it 1

28 minutes ago, Dannabis said:

What better way to get to know the character of a distillerys product?

BIB seems to be of an age where I can taste much of the character that they are capable of. Obviously it won't be as interesting as if they had an 8 or 12 year juice.

They did have their Delaware dsp on the bottle so I assume they distilled it themselves.

But I will go to the distillery in a day or two and put the tenterhooks to em and get answers.

I do hear ya loud and clear though, it could be swill and I am taking a gamble by buying it.

It's probably not swill; heck it is probably pretty good.   Not necessarily a good value,  craft bourbon just ain t that way,  but BIB (that they distill themselves, of course)  indicates probable quality to me.   And with a craft distiller,  there's the kick of "hearing a new voice", much like I get from hearing a jazz musician for the first time,  if he can play.   BIB to me sets a marker - the craft distiller is peoclaiming "I can play".    And I for one will usually be willing to sample the new mashbill, the new distiller's voice.   

The real challenge is earning that repeat bottle!

• I like it 5

10 hours ago, Dannabis said:

I noticed on their product description pages, they only claim their bonded products are aged "atleast two years" 

Which raised my eyebrows and suspicions.

Sounds like they may have mixed up the legal definitions of "Straight Whiskey" and "Bonded Whiskey"

They aren't open until Thursday so I can't parley with them yet but I sent over this message asking for clarifications.

Screenshot_20220816-075641_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Edited by Dannabis

9 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

It's probably not swill; heck it is probably pretty good.   Not necessarily a good value,  craft bourbon just ain t that way,  but BIB (that they distill themselves, of course)  indicates probable quality to me.   And with a craft distiller,  there's the kick of "hearing a new voice", much like I get from hearing a jazz musician for the first time,  if he can play.   BIB to me sets a marker - the craft distiller is peoclaiming "I can play".    And I for one will usually be willing to sample the new mashbill, the new distiller's voice.   

The real challenge is earning that repeat bottle!

Truth to that brother! Many spirits fail to earn the repeat purchase.

Kudos too for the jazz comparison. I love so much jazz. (I am a degreed music dork and I listen to many genres but always come back to jazz)

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Dannabis said:

Truth to that brother! Many spirits fail to earn the repeat purchase.

Kudos too for the jazz comparison. I love so much jazz. (I am a degreed music dork and I listen to many genres but always come back to jazz)

Thanks, Dannibis!  I've been a student of jazz and its history for most of my adult life.  Way back when in school I picked up an Eric Dolphy record after he was name-checked by Frank Zappa and was hooked by the adventure of musical improvisation.   40 years later I'm still enjoying the journey, especially with a glass of bourbon in hand.

• I like it 2

On 8/16/2022 at 7:59 AM, Dannabis said:

I noticed on their product description pages, they only claim their bonded products are aged "atleast two years" 

Screenshot_20220816-075641_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I checked the website today and they updated the description to read "All of our bourbon is aged for at least four years in heavily charred white oak barrels"

So I guess they got my message!

• I like it 6

• 2 weeks later...

Y’all know the drill……………… So, we had to go out again today. 🙄 We ended up stopping at three places. Today, the angel on my right shoulder won out over the devil on my left shoulder.  😇 😈 I was tempted, but passed on everything. I don’t need anymore bourbon. I don’t need anymore bourbon. I don’t need anymore bourbon.😬

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• I like it 4

I passed on Weller Special Reserve at just 2.8 times the state price.  The store clerk said that I'll be sorry. I think he will be proven wrong.

• I like it 5

9 minutes ago, Special Reserve said:

I passed on Weller Special Reserve at just 2.8 times the state price.  The store clerk said that I'll be sorry. I think he will be proven wrong.

Crazy ain’t it Will. What is the state price in Michigan? FWIW, the last Weller SR I saw was in a locked case for $119.99. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

48 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Y’all know the drill……………… So, we had to go out again today. 🙄 We ended up stopping at three places. Today, the angel on my right shoulder won out over the devil on my left shoulder.  😇 😈 I was tempted, but passed on everything. I don’t need anymore bourbon. I don’t need anymore bourbon. I don’t need anymore bourbon.😬

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I would have been sorely tempted by the bottles of Calumet Farms 14 & 15 yr . . . .  And I guess the 16 yr CF was free with the purchase of the 14 & 15s, right?  Kinda' like "with one from column A and one from column B, you get free won ton soup?"  🤣

• I like it 1

50 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Crazy ain’t it Will. What is the state price in Michigan? FWIW, the last Weller SR I saw was in a locked case for $119.99. 

Biba! Joe

$24.99 I saw one a couple of years ago at that price so I brought one home with me then.  I just checked the price on the state website.

• I like it 2

58 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

I would have been sorely tempted by the bottles of Calumet Farms 14 & 15 yr . . . .  And I guess the 16 yr CF was free with the purchase of the 14 & 15s, right?  Kinda' like "with one from column A and one from column B, you get free won ton soup?"  🤣

I was actually surprised because this was at a Schnuck’s grocery store. They normally don’t have this kinda stuff in their locked case. I will say that this wasn’t at the Schnuck’s we usually go to a few block’s from my house. Heck, it’s a plus when you see ER or BT at any Schnuck’s. 😯

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Kroger and Meijer grocery stores started carrying the various versions of Yellowstone ever since a couple years ago, when it got rebranded.  I've never really been tempted.  All the reviews I read suggest it's just ok.  To me, seems to fit the profile of average sourced product pretending to be top shelf.

The bottles I could buy for $50, seriously.

• I like it 3

Passed on a Weller full Proof at $350 and a couple of Four Roses Small Batch Limited edition at $600 each.

I wonder how long the craziness will last?

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, PaulO said:

Kroger and Meijer grocery stores started carrying the various versions of Yellowstone ever since a couple years ago, when it got rebranded.  I've never really been tempted.  All the reviews I read suggest it's just ok.  To me, seems to fit the profile of average sourced product pretending to be top shelf.

The bottles I could buy for $50, seriously.

Not sure about our Meijer stores. We only go there occasionally for a couple of odd items. And, as I’ve posted here before, they play games with the allocated stuff. When I was at Sam’s Club, I actually had a bottle of the Yellowstone in my hand. I’m getting more sentimental in my old age. Yellowstone and Rebel Yell were my first bourbons way back when I was an underage teen. 🤫 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.