What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 4/29/2022 at 3:36 PM, JT3NSB said:

Kinda like a zoo, just staring at things here in Delaware …

61BFEA3C-6B4E-4077-9AD7-20BCAA125645.jpeg

Got to love it where those high priced bottles are getting baked in the sun all day, every day. 🤪

Who knows how long it's been there too.

• I like it 3

There’s one store a bit north of us that has some old Beam decanters. They’re on display right in their front window. -_- Sorry, not good pics. 

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• I like it 2

I visited a store here where the liquor manager recently left. I haven’t been there in a few weeks. I suspected  things might go downhill,  but I didn’t think it would get this bad. Full on tater pricing for LE items now. 🤬 I picked up a Blanton’s there not all that long ago  for $69.99.

I was looking for a Weller SR to help my son out. I passed on it, and everything else they had. They still had my barrel too. The manager wasn’t there, so I knew there was no use in asking. On the way out I told the security guard good bye and that it was nice knowing him. He asked what was up and I told him with the new prices, I probably won’t be coming back. 🙁

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• I like it 3

35 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I visited a store here where the liquor manager recently left. I haven’t been there in a few weeks. I suspected  things might go downhill,  but I didn’t think it would get this bad. Full on tater pricing for LE items now. 🤬 I picked up a Blanton’s there not all that long ago  for $69.99.

I was looking for a Weller SR to help my son out. I passed on it, and everything else they had. They still had my barrel too. The manager wasn’t there, so I knew there was no use in asking. On the way out I told the security guard good bye and that it was nice knowing him. He asked what was up and I told him with the new prices, I probably won’t be coming back. 🙁

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wow.  Just wow.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sad, but at least you know you don't need to waste your time stopping in any more.  Only so much time and a lot of liquor stores.  I don't like to waste time on those who don't want my business.  Not that my business is most important.  But, I am every man not tater man.

• I like it 4

Just now, mbroo5880i said:

Sad, but at least you know you don't need to waste your time stopping in any more.  Only so much time and a lot of liquor stores.  I don't like to waste time on those who don't want my business.  Not that my business is most important.  But, I am every man not tater man.

I might beable to cross two stores off the list @mbroo5880i. This place has a sister store. The manager at the other store (fully) retired at the beginning of the year. It’s been a while since I’ve been in that store too. I have to be near that area tomorrow. Who knows? 🙄

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

20 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I might beable to cross two stores off the list @mbroo5880i. This place has a sister store. The manager at the other store (fully) retired at the beginning of the year. It’s been a while since I’ve been in that store too. I have to be near that area tomorrow. Who knows? 🙄

Biba! Joe

So true. My need to know for certain often outweighs the thought that I already know the outcome. 

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

"no rainchecks" 🤡

I wouldn't waste my time going back to that place.  I'd rather go to locals that treat me right, or occasionally do a little online detective work, and make a road trip to a nearby town when the urge to hunt comes.

Places like above - are they running a museum, or are some fools paying it.  (I mean, really, for WSR.)

• I like it 2

19 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Just wow!  It might be my faulty memory but a few years back most here did not think WSR was even an average pour.

• I like it 2

55 minutes ago, TunnelTiger said:

Just wow!  It might be my faulty memory but a few years back most here did not think WSR was even an average pour.

I believe you mentioned you’d been away from bourbon the last couple of years. Well @TunnelTiger, the craziness in the bourbon world has only gotten crazier during that time. 🙁

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

Blanton's on the shelf (surprising) at $120. 4 bottles i could have bought them all, no limit.

If I was out, I might have bought 1 or 2, but didn't need them. Told the owner I appreciated them on the shelf,

vs behind the counter for $150-175. I can't blame him for the market, he showed a little restraint.

Also had BT for $36, passed on that too. Bought 4R SiB for $45. 

• I like it 2

I ran out today looking for KC 12yr. It seems like it's been hard to get in the Chicago suburbs.

After 4 stores I had this in chronological order.

$80 2 bottles on the shelf.

$90 3 bottles on the shelf

Nothing on the shelf, owner said no one has it in the area.

$129 he seemed to have at least 4 bottles.

• I like it 2

It’s all over the place here for $60 but I continue to pass, maybe foolishly. Still kicking myself for passing on the older SiB picks for $45-50 and can’t bring myself to pay for the 12yr yet.

• I like it 3

I found it for $65 and bought a bottle 

I like it, worth that price to me

crazy how so many bourbons change price based on local inventory perception 

• I like it 3

Beam bourbon  just seems to taste about right between 6 - 9 years.   KC9 is just about perfect, so is Bookers and Bakers at less than 9 years (and even good ol' JB Black tastes fully formed).  I'm not sure the price hit For KC12 translates to a better pour than KC9.

• I like it 4

55 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

Beam bourbon  just seems to taste about right between 6 - 9 years.   KC9 is just about perfect, so is Bookers and Bakers at less than 9 years (and even good ol' JB Black tastes fully formed).  I'm not sure the price hit For KC12 translates to a better pour than KC9.

I'm gonna find out.  The only way I know how - the hard way!  Got the range, gonna try it.  

• I like it 2

On 5/3/2022 at 6:04 PM, PhantomLamb said:

It’s all over the place here for $60 but I continue to pass, maybe foolishly. Still kicking myself for passing on the older SiB picks for $45-50 and can’t bring myself to pay for the 12yr yet.

I was like you when it first came out. Now my bunker is full of the stuff.

8 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

I'm not sure the price hit For KC12 translates to a better pour than KC9.

It most definitely does for me and I like the KC9 a lot.

• I like it 3

uncut unfiltered at 99

rare breed rye at 89

cigar blend at 249

1920 at 89 (??)

OF rye at 33 (almost bit, as I'm down to one bottle and I love this stuff)

WSR at 40

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, steven s said:

uncut unfiltered at 99

rare breed rye at 89

cigar blend at 249

1920 at 89 (??)

OF rye at 33 (almost bit, as I'm down to one bottle and I love this stuff)

WSR at 40

OF rye has gone from $23 to $31 here with the latest deliveries.

• I like it 1

On 5/1/2022 at 9:16 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

I was out and about all day Wednesday takin’ care of bidness. I was in the area of the sister store mentioned above, so I stopped in. For all intensive purposes this store is now crossed off the list too. The manager was on vacation, and the assistant manager in charge was, as the old saying goes, “as useless as tits on a boar.” Sgt. Schultz from Hogans Heroes would have been more helpful and made more sense. I honestly couldn’t tell if the guy was really that stupid, or if he was just flat out lying to me. Probably a bit of both. 🤬 Oh well. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

The entire family wanted to accompany me on a bottle mission. From phone calls earlier in the week, a Laphroaig 32 was located in inventory at a very off the beaten path shop. So, cash in hand we rode— only to find said bottle sitting near the front window, out of its box, bathed in UV light. Tragic. 

• I like it 5

On 5/8/2022 at 8:20 AM, Marekv8 said:

The entire family wanted to accompany me on a bottle mission. From phone calls earlier in the week, a Laphroaig 32 was located in inventory at a very off the beaten path shop. So, cash in hand we rode— only to find said bottle sitting near the front window, out of its box, bathed in UV light. Tragic. 

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 5/1/2022 at 5:31 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I get a kick out of the no rainchecks comment on the $129.99 Larceny.  Just today, I purchased a barrel proof Larceny at the state minimum price of $59.99

• I like it 1

23 minutes ago, Special Reserve said:

I get a kick out of the no rainchecks comment on the $129.99 Larceny.  Just today, I purchased a barrel proof Larceny at the state minimum price of $59.99

Yeah...it's crazy, isn't it?

I walked out on a Barton 1792 Full Proof for $89.99

Picked it up at from another store, (20 minutes away), for $49.99

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.