What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

19 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Passed on a Smoke wagon Uncut/Unfiltered, yesterday.  I’ve heard good things, but decided on a couple others to take home, instead.  Perhaps, I’ll go back this coming week.  

Given your prior opinions of MGP bourbon, that was probably a wise pass. 

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, flahute said:

That's about average. You can sometimes find it for $90 but can also find it for $110 to $120.

It's a good bourbon and it's blended by one of our very own - Nancy Fraley.

AKA WhiskeyBlender, her SB handle..

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

Given your prior opinions of MGP bourbon, that was probably a wise pass. 

Yes, but your positive opinion of it goes a long way.  

• I like it 1

On 4/9/2022 at 11:04 PM, PaulO said:

This is just an observation concerning Manning and Brady.

When Manning got the ball hiked to him, he had to get rid of it like a hot potato.

Brady on the other hand, had the luxury, stood there for a long time, waiting and looking around, like he was waiting in line to buy a hot dog or something.

Mmmm....on that one I’m just going to say you probably saw more Manning games than I did and I definitely saw more Brady games than you.

On 4/10/2022 at 2:20 PM, Jazzhead said:

Tom Brady was great,  and arguably the G.O.A.T.    Let the record show that in one of the best games he ever had,  he was beaten by Nick Foles and the Philadelphia Eagles.

The Super Bowl was the G.O.A.T.    

And Malcom Butler was a spectator, WTF?????. The defense was beaten by Foles and he played a great game, hats off to him. Anyhow what thread is this?? Oh yeah, I passed on everything in anticipation of an upcoming trip 😏

• I like it 2

I passed on the newish (new to me) Benchmark series today.  Never seen them before but ultimately I decided with my large bunker these wouldn't make the cut.  I have plenty of stuff that I assume is decidedly better.

• I like it 1

27 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I passed on the newish (new to me) Benchmark series today.  Never seen them before but ultimately I decided with my large bunker these wouldn't make the cut.  I have plenty of stuff that I assume is decidedly better.

With an attitude like this you will never be a proper tater. :) 

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, Jazz June said:

With an attitude like this you will never be a proper tater. :) 

Haha true. 😃

But dang, looking at my post again I sound like a pompous snob.  I didn't mean it that way however.  The reviews on these haven't been positive enough for me to believe they are anything other than BT trying to gain more revenue by brand extensions taken to a ridiculous degree.  Yes if I didn't already have plenty of quality bourbons in my bunker I'm sure my curiosity would allow me to try some of these.  But as long as I can buy standard Buffalo Trace bourbon at msrp I don't see the need for these at all.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Haha true. 😃

But dang, looking at my post again I sound like a pompous snob.  I didn't mean it that way however.  The reviews on these haven't been positive enough for me to believe they are anything other than BT trying to gain more revenue by brand extensions taken to a ridiculous degree.  Yes if I didn't already have plenty of quality bourbons in my bunker I'm sure my curiosity would allow me to try some of these.  But as long as I can buy standard Buffalo Trace bourbon at msrp I don't see the need for these at all.

I don't think the point is snobby. The "taters" I'm familiar with buy stuff just because they haven't seen it before with no regard for quality or provenance. Just perceived rarity equals good. If you know enough to know that Benchmark is the value BT #1 brand and, therefore, not particularly likely to be better than regular old Buffalo Trace, it's pretty reasonable to pass on by. That said, when I had access to these on a trip, I did buy a Benchmark BiB because I'm a bottled in bond tater. :)

• I like it 1

16 minutes ago, Jazz June said:

I don't think the point is snobby. The "taters" I'm familiar with buy stuff just because they haven't seen it before with no regard for quality or provenance. Just perceived rarity equals good. If you know enough to know that Benchmark is the value BT #1 brand and, therefore, not particularly likely to be better than regular old Buffalo Trace, it's pretty reasonable to pass on by. That said, when I had access to these on a trip, I did buy a Benchmark BiB because I'm a bottled in bond tater. :)

Yeah well said. I do buy stuff all the time based primarily on curiosity.  A couple of years ago I would definitely have tried some of these.  But now with my full bunker I just realize that I'm not that interested in tasting any BT bourbon that's not at least as good as standard Buffalo Trace.  🤷‍♂️

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, Kepler said:

Yeah well said. I do buy stuff all the time based primarily on curiosity.  A couple of years ago I would definitely have tried some of these.  But now with my full bunker I just realize that I'm not that interested in tasting any BT bourbon that's not at least as good as standard Buffalo Trace.  🤷‍♂️

I found the benchmark full proof to be a nice imitation of Stagg Jr - or whatever its called now.   

• I like it 1

36 minutes ago, geclbxf said:

I found the benchmark full proof to be a nice imitation of Stagg Jr - or whatever its called now.   

Really?  Ive had the FP, Top Floor, and BIB from the new Benchmark line up and they all had a definite hit of marshmallow, very much like many of the toasted barrel releases that have come out over the last couple of years. The Benchmarks  are better than those IMO, as the marshmallow note does not have the saccharine, aspartame, artificial sweetener note.  And, I get none of those notes in Stagg Jr.  

• I like it 1

Passed on Kentucky Owl for $300.  This wasn't a special edition just a bottle sitting next to the counter at a higher volume store.  I just walked by thinking "hoo hoo, who will pay that price for this stuff?"  I have been passing a lot of store select MM46 Cask Strength.  Lots of wood staves in bourbon with unknown results.  Not worth the price of admission for me.  The only version I have ever enjoyed was MM46 standard Cask Strength.  

Back to Brady since he is more interesting than MM46 or Benchmark.  I see another possible suspension.  It is apparent some level of collusion occurred with the Miami Dolphins.  He was offering to bring in both a new coach and QB for a stake in the team ownership.  

Back on topic, sort of.  Must have missed a release of Blanton's $59.99 and Sazerac Rye $32.99 at the local Meijer.  New shelf price tags from last week but no bottles on the shelf. Go figure. 

OK back to football.  Anyone see Aaron Rodgers in the charity flag football game.  Dude got intercepted.  The guy who intercepted the ball handed it back to him.  Rodgers promptly chucked at him.  He may date race car drivers (female) and actresses but he takes his football seriously or does he?

Back to bourbon...ok just kidding.

• I like it 4

7 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Passed on Kentucky Owl for $300.  This wasn't a special edition just a bottle sitting next to the counter at a higher volume store.  I just walked by thinking "hoo hoo, who will pay that price for this stuff?"  I have been passing a lot of store select MM46 Cask Strength.  Lots of wood staves in bourbon with unknown results.  Not worth the price of admission for me.  The only version I have ever enjoyed was MM46 standard Cask Strength.  

Back to Brady since he is more interesting than MM46 or Benchmark.  I see another possible suspension.  It is apparent some level of collusion occurred with the Miami Dolphins.  He was offering to bring in both a new coach and QB for a stake in the team ownership.  

Back on topic, sort of.  Must have missed a release of Blanton's $59.99 and Sazerac Rye $32.99 at the local Meijer.  New shelf price tags from last week but no bottles on the shelf. Go figure. 

OK back to football.  Anyone see Aaron Rodgers in the charity flag football game.  Dude got intercepted.  The guy who intercepted the ball handed it back to him.  Rodgers promptly chucked at him.  He may date race car drivers (female) and actresses but he takes his football seriously or does he?

Very entertaining post!

• I like it 1

41 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Kinda the same story with our Meijers here too. Just substitute ER for baby Saz. Always shelf space for ER and Blanton’s, but both usually  show as out of stock on their website. Only time the website showed both in stock, I went there and asked an employee about them. No real clue, or the employee was covering for someone. 🤨 Somehow the Blanton’s was AWOL, and the ER was in a cage in a room behind the customer service area. 🤔

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Passed on the Kentucky Owl as well but it was less than $300

• I like it 1

I passed on the standard Jim Beam, except these had Indiana Pacers logo on the label.

Is that like a special bottling just for the strip clubs or something.

Pacers fans know what I'm talking about. 😀

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

I passed on the standard Jim Beam, except these had Indiana Pacers logo on the label.

Not much of an NBA fan the past decade or two.  But as a casual non-partisan observer I find the fact that this post mentioning "Pacers fans" out there has thus far only received a single "like" ... well, it speaks volumes.  Lol 🤪

Nothing against the Pacers mind you, just found it funny.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, PaulO said:

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Not much of an NBA fan the past decade or two.  But as a casual non-partisan observer I find the fact that this post mentioning "Pacers fans" out there has thus far only received a single "like" ... well, it speaks volumes.  Lol 🤪

Nothing against the Pacers mind you, just found it funny.

Well, I grew up in Indy, and was a Pacers fan way back when they were in the old ABA. I attended my fair share of Pacers games over the years before moving to Illinois. I’m not quite sure what @PaulO was referring to about the strip clubs though. 🤔 I used to know of a  number of bars on the east side that had “entertainment”. Might be, could be, maybe……...? 🫣  

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Can't believe I did this, but I passed on a bottle of Blanton's (regular, not high test) at $54.99 OTD yesterday. Some very, very nice young lady was asking about the "little horsey" on the top and the sales gal turned to me and said "want to tell her about them?"  I had trained the sales gal when I used to work in the store (part-time) several years ago and got the call about a Blanton's delivery earlier in the day.  So I asked "how much time do you have?"  😁

Long story short, it was the last bottle left - so I let the very, very nice young lady buy it to take home and try (with her very, very lucky boyfriend!) .  Please don't tell SWMBO - I don't want to wake up with a screwdriver in my heart, slowly bleeding out so I would know who did it!    🤣

<Sigh> If only I knew about this stuff 50 years ago when I could chase them! </Sigh>>

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 9

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

<Sigh> If only I knew about this stuff 50 years ago when I could chase them! </Sigh>>

So Frank, you talking about sweet young ladies, Blanton’s, or both?  😍🥃🤗

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

So Frank, you talking about sweet young ladies, Blanton’s, or both?  😍🥃🤗

Biba! Joe

Both!   😊

• I like it 3

Anything sold in DC.

A friend is coming from there and offered to bring a bottle or two.  I took a look at the websites.  Serious selection, especially of "hard to get stuff".  At full secondary market prices.  But even normal stuff (OF's for example) seemed way, way marked up.

Am I crazy or is DC not the place to buy bourbon?  An acceptable answer would be "both".

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Both!   😊

I really should have known better than to ask.🙃

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

A day late……. Heard a place had a couple of bottles of Hancock’s. Couldn’t make it to the store yesterday. Stopped there today. All gone. 🙁 So I involuntarily passed. 🤨

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.