What Bourbon Did You Pass On 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

20 hours ago, flahute said:

Uh oh..you’re going to smokinjoe me aren’t you?😂

Careful there Steve.  That means something different in Georgia.  🤪

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, BigRich said:

That means something different in Georgia.

And no matter what, do not bet golden fiddles down there.

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, flahute said:

Uh oh..you’re going to smokinjoe me aren’t you?😂

Careful there Steve.  That means something different in Georgia.  🤪

🚬🐐

image.jpeg.8ee1e2beea30d63745912b68240a0920.jpeg

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

On 10/3/2022 at 10:55 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

I'm under the same directive yet, somehow,  I came home yesterday with 6 bottles after visiting family down in VA Beach. 😑

In my defense, a couple bottles were EW eggnog, for the Missus, one bottle is an Islay scotch that I rarely see on any shelves around here and one bottle a re-stock of Amaro Montenegro.   I plead the 5th on the BBC & NR Rye

😅

Like you, I failed but not miserably.  Got my HH BiB 7 and some other stuff.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Like you, I failed but not miserably.  Got my HH BiB 7 and some other stuff.

….and some other stuff.  🤣

Biba! Joe

Quite a lot since I just had my first child and haven't been looking. I did pass on buying a backup of an Old Forester single barrel bourbon this liquor store up the road got.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

….and some other stuff.  🤣

Biba! Joe

I shall confess to 3 HH BIB 7yr, 3 VOB 100, 1 EW 101 12 yr (red label), and 1 4R PS OESQ.  Ate up the rest of my bourbon budget for the last two years which hadn't been fully spent due to Covid plus a portion of my future 2022 budget.

I'm sipping on an HH right now, having finished the dishes and while watching Gunsmoke on INSP.  I sure hope this 750 lasts until tomorrow.:rolleyes:

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, Kamahl16 said:

Quite a lot since I just had my first child and haven't been looking. I did pass on buying a backup of an Old Forester single barrel bourbon this liquor store up the road got.

Congratulations!  Welcome to fatherhood!  Friendly advice.  Bottle for baby, bottle for daddy.  Bottle for baby, bottle for daddy.  You need to build the bunker while they are young since you will need plenty of whiskey to get you through their teen years.

• I like it 3

1 minute ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I shall confess to 3 HH BIB 7yr, 3 VOB 100, 1 EW 101 12 yr (red label), and 1 4R PS OESQ.  Ate up the rest of my bourbon budget for the last two years which hadn't been fully spent due to Covid plus a portion of my future 2022 budget.

I'm sipping on an HH right now, having finished the dishes and while watching Gunsmoke on INSP.  I sure hope this 750 lasts until tomorrow.:rolleyes:

Well, that is quite some other stuff you picked up there.  I would say "Happy Hunting."  But, you already hunted.  So, now I will say "Happy Hiding."

4 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Well, that is quite some other stuff you picked up there.  I would say "Happy Hunting."  But, you already hunted.  So, now I will say "Happy Hiding."

Working on it.  She knows about the basement shelves but averts her eyes, knowing I'll pick on her shoe collection.  BUT, she hasn't found the space above the spare tire in my car yet.  Easily holds over a case!🤣

• I like it 1

18 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Working on it.  She knows about the basement shelves but averts her eyes, knowing I'll pick on her shoe collection.  BUT, she hasn't found the space above the spare tire in my car yet.  Easily holds over a case!🤣

So, your wife is like my wife, she has shoes she never wears.  Have you thought about hiding bottles in her shoes? 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

So, your wife is like my wife, she has shoes she never wears.  Have you thought about hiding bottles in her shoes? 

Holy shoe tree, Batman! I never thought of that! She has MUCH more closet space than I do.  Another idea! I could put the cream liqueur poop she likes in there and then “innocently” claim,  “Why’d you put THOSE in there?”

• I like it 3

20 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Here's some hiding whiskey pro tips from Matt at ADHD Whiskey.  Funny stuff.  Haven't we all been there?,,,

• I like it 4

Last weekend I popped into the Meijer in Muncie, IN to browse, as we were visiting my wife's Aunt nearby. I searched all the shelves and endcaps, and discovered four bottles of KC 12 tucked away in a corner, no price tags or indication of price on the shelf above. A laser scanner would tell me the price, but where was the nearest one?

If you saw a middle-aged man scanning a bottle of whiskey in the toy department of the Muncie, IN Meijer last Sunday morning, I apologize.  

Long story short, the going price was $56.99. And I passed. My reasoning was this: I have never tried the 12, although I do enjoy the 9 year. If I buy one 12 and love it, it's very difficult to find where I live, and I will kick myself for not having bought all four. If I buy all 4 and find the extra 3 years in the barrel are not so pleasing to my palate, I will have blown my whiskey budget for the next two months and risk the ire of an otherwise very patient and understanding wife. 

Fast forward to yesterday, LOML sends a random text with this photo and a caption, "look what I found."  It was on the sale rack at the local Pick n Save/Kroger.  I shall have to stop by on my way home from work tonight and see what the word "sale" means to them. I wonder if they have a toy department. 

Screenshot_20221007-080306.jpg

• I like it 8

KC 12   I would have bought them all....lol

You will enjoy the  KC  SBR  you may try a few drops of water as it is a higher proof than the 9 yr

• I like it 3

11 hours ago, Thomm said:

Last weekend I popped into the Meijer in Muncie, IN to browse, as we were visiting my wife's Aunt nearby. I searched all the shelves and endcaps, and discovered four bottles of KC 12 tucked away in a corner, no price tags or indication of price on the shelf above. A laser scanner would tell me the price, but where was the nearest one?

If you saw a middle-aged man scanning a bottle of whiskey in the toy department of the Muncie, IN Meijer last Sunday morning, I apologize.  

Long story short, the going price was $56.99. And I passed. My reasoning was this: I have never tried the 12, although I do enjoy the 9 year. If I buy one 12 and love it, it's very difficult to find where I live, and I will kick myself for not having bought all four. If I buy all 4 and find the extra 3 years in the barrel are not so pleasing to my palate, I will have blown my whiskey budget for the next two months and risk the ire of an otherwise very patient and understanding wife. 

Fast forward to yesterday, LOML sends a random text with this photo and a caption, "look what I found."  It was on the sale rack at the local Pick n Save/Kroger.  I shall have to stop by on my way home from work tonight and see what the word "sale" means to them. I wonder if they have a toy department. 

Screenshot_20221007-080306.jpg

A lot to unpack here.  I too have scanned bourbon bottles in the Toy Aisle at Meijer to determine the price.  May I suggest you should reconsider passing on something out of fear that should you enjoy it you didn't buy more or don't see it in your area.  Trying something for the first time is part of the experience.  Enjoying it makes it great.  Not enjoying it provides an education.  This provides information for the next time should you see it again.  It may be a while or it may be sooner than you expect.  If you don't see it again, well that is the way it is.  At least, you got to try it.  Many of us have tried bourbons we may never see again.  I can't speak for others but I suspect most will agree the experience was better than not having the experience.

The bourbon journey takes a lot of twists and turns.  Some good, some not so good, but all are an experience.  

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, IamMatt said:

Passed on this, even with the tempting $200 savings!

Russ 13.gif

Huh, $300/bottle more than our friends in the "Live Free or Die" state charged last month.  Gone in a heartbeat from the shelves, BTW (but not before I got mine!).   😜

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...

I passed on Kirkland Barton's Single Barrel.  The price was right at $28.99 for a 120 proof bourbon.  There are just other bottles out there that interest me more and prefer to send my money that way.  

On a side note, I was on a local retailers Facebook page tonight and the poster's were all gushing about the various overpriced bottles that are were available and how they missed out.  I felt like posting "I smell taters frying" but decided to be a good boy.  😀🤪😀

• I like it 5

On 10/9/2022 at 5:20 PM, GeeTen said:

Huh, $300/bottle more than our friends in the "Live Free or Die" state charged last month.  Gone in a heartbeat from the shelves, BTW (but not before I got mine!).   😜

Huh.  I always liked the fact that NH state liquor stores are on the interstates. In and out, drinking and driving seems not to be a problem in NH.  Could it be that NH is trying to capture customers from surrounding states AND tourists passing through???😮  

Whatever, I passed on nothing today because I went in no spirits stores.  It was tough, but . . .

• I like it 1

19 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I passed on Kirkland Barton's Single Barrel.  The price was right at $28.99 for a 120 proof bourbon.  There are just other bottles out there that interest me more and prefer to send my money that way. 

Don't know if you have tried this but last year's expression floored me, especially after it opened up a bit.  I placed it ahead of Smoke Wagon UCUF and an Old Ezra Distiller's Choice store pick twice in blinds.  Maybe just my palate, or maybe my Costco got a honey barrel but I am anxiously waiting for this year's batch to hit my local store.

• I like it 2

22 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

Don't know if you have tried this but last year's expression floored me, especially after it opened up a bit.  I placed it ahead of Smoke Wagon UCUF and an Old Ezra Distiller's Choice store pick twice in blinds.  Maybe just my palate, or maybe my Costco got a honey barrel but I am anxiously waiting for this year's batch to hit my local store.

I have not tried it.  The closest thing would be 1792 Full Proof.  I like 1792 Single Barrel but find 1792 Full Proof to be a hot mess. They must have just stocked up so I expect them to have some through the weekend.  The one thing that I found interesting is that it didn't have a barrel number.

Last year's drank below its 120 proof.  I have not cracked my 1792 SiB or Full Proof so I cannot compare.  Yeah, no barrel number AND I have no idea what their track record is regarding consistency between barrels.  McKenna 10-yr SiB has a reputation for wide variation between barrels so it's more of a crap shoot; Russell's Reserve SiB is usually considered pretty consistent between barrels so you kinda know what you are getting.  No idea about how this will shake out with Kirkland 1792 SiB.  Hope to find out soon, LOL.

• I like it 2

In Miami Beach for a day, leaving for France tomorrow.

Saw EHT SmB and ER for $200/bottle.  Pass.

Went to get a nibble.  1 oz shot of KC9 or BT $16 each.  Pass.

No bourbon for me today.  In the future I'll have to get some of those nifty little bottles that you people use for sending samples and bring them along.  Not possible this time around, luggage was packed to the very limit.  The sacrifices one makes....

Got a bottle of Proseco with the Wifey, stuck out the pinky, etc.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.