What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today? (Spring 2022)

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Once we are finished with the painting, we start on the decking replacement.  I have 75 16’ sitting in front of my garage.  Hopefully that will suffice.  

Once that is in, we give it a month or two and then stain.  
It has been a heck of a project but should be great once all is complete.  

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 4

Had a tiny bottle kill pour of KC9 which was tasting fantastic and I immediately followed with some KC12 which is also tasting fantastic. I guess it's a Beam night.

• I like it 5

15 hours ago, flahute said:

Say what? Did the race not sell out or is this a usual thing?

It's the usual thing.  Local TV blackout of the race, no matter how many tickets are sold.  Later in the evening a prerecorded broadcast of the race is aired.

A couple years ago, we hosted a Super Bowl.  There didn't seem to be any problem letting us watch that on live on TV.

A true story - a group of guys my dad worked with used to drive to Cincinnati and stay in a motel for Indy 500 - so they could watch it on TV.  

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

It's the usual thing.  Local TV blackout of the race, no matter how many tickets are sold.  Later in the evening a prerecorded broadcast of the race is aired.

A couple years ago, we hosted a Super Bowl.  There didn't seem to be any problem letting us watch that on live on TV.

A true story - a group of guys my dad worked with used to drive to Cincinnati and stay in a motel for Indy 500 - so they could watch it on TV.  

Yep, the blackout goes back forever. When I lived as a kid in Indiana in the 70’s, it was the same with the blackout and evening tv replay.  I remember that on nice nice weather race days, 3/4 of the houses in my neighborhood had their radios outside and at full volume to listen to it.  We’d ride our bikes through the neighborhood and never miss a second of the race.  😂
Is the blackout still for all of Indiana?  Or just Indy metro area?

16 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Grilled prime sirloin tip steaks marinated in Korean kalbi sauce for over 4 hours, cooked to a perfect medium rare minus, stir-fried shitake mushrooms with nappa cabbage and bok choy and carrots, and GW4G  to stand up to the kabli steak strips.  What a perfect combination for a warm summer's eve with NO Celtics game tonite (whew!).  Might have to have a vanilla ice cream treat with Rattlesnake Rosie's Maple Bacon whiskey.  Too bad the Red Sox starting pitching bites the BIG ONE!  😡

Your posts have a way of making me hungry! 🤤

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, PaulO said:

...A true story - a group of guys my dad worked with used to drive to Cincinnati and stay in a motel for Indy 500 - so they could watch it on TV.  

Yes!  These guys know how to party!!

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Yep, the blackout goes back forever. When I lived as a kid in Indiana in the 70’s, it was the same with the blackout and evening tv replay.  I remember that on nice nice weather race days, 3/4 of the houses in my neighborhood had their radios outside and at full volume to listen to it.  We’d ride our bikes through the neighborhood and never miss a second of the race.  😂

As far as I know, at least most of the state is blackout. 

I've been digging this family size Rebel 100 lately.  

16 hours ago, PaulO said:

13 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

44 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

Yes!  These guys know how to party!!

I belonged to a swimming/sports club in my younger days. Memorial Day weekend was the opening for the club. All us kids would flock there to swim. They had the Indy 500 tuned in on the radio and playing over the pa system. 😎

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I belonged to a swimming/sports club in my younger days. Memorial Day weekend was the opening for the club. All us kids would flock there to swim. They had the Indy 500 tuned in on the radio and playing over the pa system. 😎

Biba! Joe

Was Mandy Peffercorn the lifeguard? 😜

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, Clueby said:

No, but Lynn Weber was. 😘

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

it's Wendy Peffercorn

wendypeffercorn.webp.d30c8557b52d365d76c78c4e3119f56a.webp

22 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

That's how I grew up following the qualifications and race.  No interest in changing now.  Listen to the race on WIBC.  Like you, I miss Tom Carnegie on the call.  However, Jake Query does a great job.  I believe Mark Jaynes is the current "Voice of the 500."  

If I may I would like to digress into a brief Indy 500 story and then I will share what I am drinking.  For years, my family would picnic and listen the race at Garfield Park in Indianapolis.  Garfield Park and the Indy 500 are about as Indy as you can get.  One particular race that stands out is 1969 when Mario Andretti won.  Not only because Mario was one of the most popular drivers in Indy 500 history but because he also seemed to always be competitive until late in the race when the famous words "Mario is slowing down on the backstretch" became an annual refrain toward the end of the race.  However, during this particular race, we played a family game of kick ball. The game was really tight only to be won when my 69 year old grandmother (a proud German) who only played upon all of the kids begging her to decided slide into home plate to win the game.  She had a mighty big black and blue bruise on her behind but we won.  Mario won but Grandma won the day.  53 years later that was the most amazing display of raw athletic determination I have ever seen.  No, not Mario but Grandma. Charlie Hustle had nothing on Grandma that day. Oh yeah, I had drawn Mario's name in family pool. Even though, mom and dad kicked in my share, I got to keep the first place price.  Maybe $10?

Tonight, I am drinking OF100.  I am enjoying it.  But, I am thinking about Grandma.  I am enjoying that more.

• I like it 8

On 5/30/2022 at 11:30 PM, flahute said:

Had a tiny bottle kill pour of ....

I once used that excuse when I opened a new bottle.  🤪

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, Bourbon Scout said:

Having a Woodford on Ice tonight.

And that serves its purpose.  Even with the copper penny aftertaste, I still have an affection for a nice pour of WR.

Bakers SmB this evening.  Painting is done and the first 5 courses of decking are installed.
Expecting rain this evening  and a 50% chance tomorrow.  I feel a break is in order.

It is not a project without blood.

DE946641-0143-4D69-A430-0859292D012B.jpeg

05E37111-7BD9-4D7F-ABD1-D18BC8CCB57F.jpeg

E21A6D0F-4767-4919-9D5D-00D4618D1802.jpeg

B8F9CFAB-4E34-4F81-B572-9555AEC44E87.jpeg

C224CE40-FFA1-405B-9546-F3901A6ADD69.jpeg

A9A6E113-25E5-4D21-B4F4-A8A82E923724.jpeg

• I like it 7

3 minutes ago, markandrex said:

Bakers SmB this evening.  Painting is done and the first 5 courses of decking are installed.
Expecting rain this evening  and a 50% chance tomorrow.  I feel a break is in order.

DE946641-0143-4D69-A430-0859292D012B.jpeg

05E37111-7BD9-4D7F-ABD1-D18BC8CCB57F.jpeg

E21A6D0F-4767-4919-9D5D-00D4618D1802.jpeg

B8F9CFAB-4E34-4F81-B572-9555AEC44E87.jpeg

C224CE40-FFA1-405B-9546-F3901A6ADD69.jpeg

A9A6E113-25E5-4D21-B4F4-A8A82E923724.jpeg

My man, your deck makes mine look like a small box.  Really cool!  Ironically, my wife skinned her knee but not working on the deck.  She stepped in mud while getting the mail during a break.  I just got a bad sunburn in odd spots, like my ankle.  But, I will say the blood dribbling down your leg makes it look pretty dramatic. 

Bakers seems like good medicine for a task well done.

1 hour ago, hughewil said:

it's Wendy Peffercorn

wendypeffercorn.webp.d30c8557b52d365d76c78c4e3119f56a.webp

20 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I was CLOSE!!

Lynn had a similar body, but long brown hair. Oh, and pretty much the same swimsuit. 😚

Biba! Joe

20 hours ago, markandrex said:

Looking good M&R; the Baker's is deserved...

Of course, I do no outdoor projects without the blood; some worse than others... 😬

• I like it 2

22 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

And that serves its purpose.  Even with the copper penny aftertaste, I still have an affection for a nice pour of WR.

Funny, I never got the copper taste until after I visited WR in April and seen it was distilled in pot stills, and I have drank a sad few gallons of it over the years. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.