What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today? (Spring 2022)

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

22 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Please pardon me for shamelessly proselytizing & gloating a little bit right now, but this evening I'm celebrating and enjoying a straight-from-the-barrel cask sample of what will turn into Still Austin's first 4 year old "Nancy's Picks" cask strength Bourbon. I know that "craft" Bourbons aren't popular on this forum a lot of the time (understandably and for good reason), but I would say that Still Austin's Bourbon is made more in the traditional "KY" style than most TX Bourbons, although the TX higher temps throughout the year do of course make some differences. 

The barrel that this sample comes from just turned 4 yesterday, June 5th, and is 117.1 proof. The recipe is 100% TX grown grains, with 70% sweet white corn (same used for TX white corn tortillas), 25% Elbon rye, and 5% malted barley, which was distilled on a 42 foot Forsyth column still. It was barreled in 53 gallon char #3 Independent Stave Company barrels, entry proof is 118, and aged in metal-clad rick houses with white siding and roofing for low thermal resistance and high thermal reflectivity for optimal diurnal temperature fluctuation during most of the year. Of course, there is very little if any true dormancy period with these barrels, so maturation is pretty much year-round. 

On a totally unrelated note, for any fans of Lynyrd Skynryd on this forum (LS were big whiskey fans), also just wanted to post a pick of my new Ronnie Van Zant "High Roller" hat that I had custom made from the same milliner who made Ronnie's high roller hats some 45+ years ago, Texas Hatters in Lockhart, TX. I had been out doing barrel analysis in the Still Austin rick houses earlier in the day, and got the measurement for this hat after work. 

Cheers!

Nancy

IMG_1010.jpg

fullsizeoutput_185.jpeg

Awesome pic! Whiskey and Skynryd are the perfect ensemble for the beautiful sunset in Indiana tonight.  I was listening to Jackson Browne but now I need to switch over to Skynryd.

• I like it 2

On 6/5/2022 at 4:55 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Today, I officiated my last soccer match ever.  After 28 years of coaching and officiating, it is time.  It is also time for a few nice pours to reflect on the experience.  

Resized_20220605_193522.thumb.jpg.8e29cbd9138eb20043bff399a3883df1.jpg

Hey @mbroo5880i, hope you don't mind me asking, but as someone with deep Scottish roots and a lover of tartans, what is that tartan your Weller Antique an WLW is resting upon? 

3 hours ago, markandrex said:

Back on old-school Bakers.  I’m glad I have a bunch back for future consumption.

3A590A18-1268-4B9F-B5B9-7049130835A8.jpeg

Man I really miss this version of Bakers. When the new single barrel came out with the new higher price I hesitated for a while. When I finally caved in I was happy to find how good it was. My second bottle was terrible however. If Beam can't be trusted to maintain consistency given how much they want for this now then I am no longer a customer.

• I like it 3

20 minutes ago, flahute said:

Man I really miss this version of Bakers. When the new single barrel came out with the new higher price I hesitated for a while. When I finally caved in I was happy to find how good it was. My second bottle was terrible however. If Beam can't be trusted to maintain consistency given how much they want for this now then I am no longer a customer.

It was such a solid bourbon I wish they wouldn't have messed with the juice at all and just updated the packaging.  They could even have started a "batch game" like they did with Booker's if they wanted to take advantage of tatering, but they didn't need to go to a single barrel to achieve that.  I need to try my single barrel version.  You'd think that with the overall excellent consistency of the regular KC120 single barrel product that they would have the barrel selection process down to a science by now.

• I like it 3

59 minutes ago, Kepler said:

It was such a solid bourbon I wish they wouldn't have messed with the juice at all and just updated the packaging.  They could even have started a "batch game" like they did with Booker's if they wanted to take advantage of tatering, but they didn't need to go to a single barrel to achieve that.  I need to try my single barrel version.  You'd think that with the overall excellent consistency of the regular KC120 single barrel product that they would have the barrel selection process down to a science by now.

I like the batch game idea better than what they have now. I think with the KC9+ it's easier to maintain consistency. The 7yr barrels probably have more variation.

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, flahute said:

I like the batch game idea better than what they have now. I think with the KC9+ it's easier to maintain consistency. The 7yr barrels probably have more variation.

Good point about the younger barrels.

• I like it 1

SWMBO and I are in Buffalo, NY for the week re-visiting some of her old haunts and bars that she and her dad used to frequent as a kid many, many, many moons ago!  😉

Started reading up on whiskey bars and found Hutch's Restaurant near Gates Circle, just 2 blocks from her old home on Oxford Street!  She never went there (Cole's and The Locker Room were more in her dad's wheelhouse), but reviews were saying what a great whiskey list they had. So we decided to go there for dinner last night. Got the last 2 seats at the bar before the evening rush and began to peruse the offerings after going ga-ga over the bottles behind the bar.  Normally, whiskey lists have a lot of stuff on them that aren't available - NOT here!  They even have some great bottles that aren't on the list.   

Hutch's 1.jpg

Hmm, I thought - these are very good prices for a small pour (ha - I was in for a very pleasant surprise).  So I started out with a Glencairn (!?!) of 2016 FRSmB LE to begin the evening (SWMBO was into fancy, shmancy cocktails).  😆

Hutch's 2.jpg

Ordered dinner (I had the grilled pork chop and SWMBO had the halibut - both huge and cooked to perfection!) and enjoyed our drinks while checking out the rest of the bottles behind the bar 😋

Came time to order my second libation and I chose a Sam Houston 15, New York barrel NY-2 (having had a few Sam 15s from other barrels in Mizzou and Knoxville):

Hutch's 3.jpg

Also fantastic and matched perfectly with the Berkshire pork chop and arugula salad (which I brought back to the hotel for snackage later).  Both our bartenders Brandon (pictured here) and Dexter (SWMBO was very impressed with his huge biceps, BTW) were great.  They were eager to learn and share info on their whiskies and we had a great dinner gossiping about the various patrons at the bar!   🤣

Finished off with a shared chocolate layer cake and two (2) glasses of Fonseca 20yr Tawny port.  Needless to say, SWMBO drove back to the hotel!!!  🤪

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 12

14 hours ago, flahute said:

Same here.  I was a big fan of this bottle.  It was my go-to Beam product.  Not so anymore.  But my appreciation for KC 9yr has grown at the same time.  So I guess Beam is still getting some of my money. 

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, hughewil said:

always excellent

rb3.thumb.jpeg.b02d99971a423ffe81054b287ff5d805.jpeg

Excellent idea, I will join you in a pour!

• I like it 1

82074B74-7611-49F2-84A7-9C9B42C061D2.thumb.jpeg.6555756ca9e1fa31bb7da287e3d51338.jpeg

A9959F50-ACFD-41C8-A429-6B20B1106823.thumb.jpeg.f965ab4ab66be8c6d8143032465f35ff.jpeg

Grabbed another of these 375s today. 90 proof MGP Solera bottle. Not a bad change from the higher proof MGPs.  Interesting summation of their process for this disappeared product on the back label.

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 2

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

Excellent idea, I will join you in a pour!

Going in for my 2nd pour.

Had a couple MM CS over block ice

Kicked back with a OF1920 neat now for a night cap.

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, GeeTen said:

SWMBO and I are in Buffalo, NY for the week re-visiting some of her old haunts and bars that she and her dad used to frequent as a kid many, many, many moons ago!  😉

Started reading up on whiskey bars and found Hutch's Restaurant near Gates Circle, just 2 blocks from her old home on Oxford Street!  She never went there (Cole's and The Locker Room were more in her dad's wheelhouse), but reviews were saying what a great whiskey list they had. So we decided to go there for dinner last night. Got the last 2 seats at the bar before the evening rush and began to peruse the offerings after going ga-ga over the bottles behind the bar.  Normally, whiskey lists have a lot of stuff on them that aren't available - NOT here!  They even have some great bottles that aren't on the list.   

Hutch's 1.jpg

Hmm, I thought - these are very good prices for a small pour (ha - I was in for a very pleasant surprise).  So I started out with a Glencairn (!?!) of 2016 FRSmB LE to begin the evening (SWMBO was into fancy, shmancy cocktails).  😆

Hutch's 2.jpg

Ordered dinner (I had the grilled pork chop and SWMBO had the halibut - both huge and cooked to perfection!) and enjoyed our drinks while checking out the rest of the bottles behind the bar 😋

Came time to order my second libation and I chose a Sam Houston 15, New York barrel NY-2 (having had a few Sam 15s from other barrels in Mizzou and Knoxville):

Hutch's 3.jpg

Also fantastic and matched perfectly with the Berkshire pork chop and arugula salad (which I brought back to the hotel for snackage later).  Both our bartenders Brandon (pictured here) and Dexter (SWMBO was very impressed with his huge biceps, BTW) were great.  They were eager to learn and share info on their whiskies and we had a great dinner gossiping about the various patrons at the bar!   🤣

Finished off with a shared chocolate layer cake and two (2) glasses of Fonseca 20yr Tawny port.  Needless to say, SWMBO drove back to the hotel!!!  🤪

I can't believe you painted your nails Pink..... :lol:

• I like it 6

3 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Nice one Lloyd.  🤣

Biba! Joe

image.gif

• I like it 2

On 6/7/2022 at 10:06 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

Hey @mbroo5880i, hope you don't mind me asking, but as someone with deep Scottish roots and a lover of tartans, what is that tartan your Weller Antique an WLW is resting upon? 

I'm not good with color so I'll pass on this search tool.  There are other tools available on net.  Also, though it's big it's not complete for all scottish family tartans, and then there's school and athletic club tartans, etc..  Tartan Finder | Search Tartans | Lochcarron

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Hey, I had a couple of free hours before dinner so I visited a couple of Vietnamese girls just a few blocks from the hotel to get a mani-pedi and try to relax.  I thought that the color nicely matches my eyes, no???   🤩

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

18 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Nice one Lloyd.  🤣

Biba! Joe

image.gif

I wish I could un-see this

• I like it 1

On 6/8/2022 at 6:04 AM, GeeTen said:

I bet all that deliciousness even gave you chills up and down yah ahms!  😁

• I like it 2

OF100 bourbon over a cube.  This is a good follow up to my first pour, which was the last of a delicious barrel-aged bourbon sample from a generous drinking buddy.  Nice way to start looking forward to the upcoming weekend.

• I like it 1

🤷‍♂️ this is nice enough. Certainly better than I remembered. But at the new price point of $150+ I don’t think another bottle will ever be coming home with me.  

9F0718F6-92F9-431B-9EBB-B9BD78FB5C79.jpeg

• I like it 2

Calumet 14 this evening.  
I tried to repair the pool robot for the fourth time in 20 years.  After several hours, I surrendered and cannibalized it for parts and put the new one in the pool.  A man has to know his limitations.

• I like it 3

Moved on to BBC Discovery #5 after dinner. Enjoying it quite a bit, but probably unfortunately another $100+ bottle I won’t look to replace. 

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.