What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today? (Spring 2022)

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Earlier, I was sipp’n on W12, it wasn’t singing per usual, so changed to this:

Much better. 

Cheers

$18.99 for Rare Breed?  That truly was the golden age of bourbon..

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Earlier, I was sipp’n on W12, it wasn’t singing per usual, so changed to this:

Much better. 

Cheers

1E613DDD-BA36-48E0-B7AC-F8DF6B920D46.jpeg

You can never go wrong with WTRB

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

You can never go wrong with WTRB

And it’s a W-T-01-97 batch to boot! 😲

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Finished last night sitting on the patio, listening to the Allman Bros a little too loud (per my wife in the house), and sipping on some MM101 next to a Solo Stove fire. 

• I like it 7

Today, I officiated my last soccer match ever.  After 28 years of coaching and officiating, it is time.  It is also time for a few nice pours to reflect on the experience.  

Resized_20220605_193522.thumb.jpg.8e29cbd9138eb20043bff399a3883df1.jpg

• I like it 15

Mrs. Skinsfan requested and Old Fashioned,  so I joined her. 😉

I finished my drink, and couldn't see the sense in wasting what was left of a perfectly good ice ball, so I reached for a pour that benefits from a little ice. 

20220605_194924.jpg

• I like it 7

Just now, Skinsfan1311 said:

Mrs. Skinsfan requested and Old Fashioned,  so I joined her. 😉

I finished my drink, and couldn't see the sense in wasting what was left of a perfectly good ice ball, so I reached for a pour that benefits from a little ice. 

20220605_194924.jpg

A sustainable drinker! Reuse of a perfectly good ice ball. You reduced your global carbon foot print.  Well done!  

• I like it 1

32 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

A sustainable drinker! Reuse of a perfectly good ice ball. You reduced your global carbon foot print.  Well done!  

Thanks!

I do what I can 😅

• I like it 1

Baptizing the deck with some WLW.  It has been a heck of a project.  Not in a couple months, we stain.

614E4259-08DC-42A4-8909-CE7078FB5A4F.jpeg

75DB5659-C8F8-4DA7-8E0F-7C8E1928FC5F.jpeg

• I like it 13

Having a really good store pick of 1792 while my cat helps me with some paper work. 
B52481BA-1F96-4C3B-B86F-1A189EB729BD.thumb.jpeg.c7e9872063ec5e3505d6da120b1dd51a.jpeg

• I like it 4

Did a blind sbs with my buddy tonight. Pulled out the Bardstown Discovery’s. The lineup: Discovery’s #2, 4, 5, 6, 7.

I figured that 2 would win - hands down, and that the 5 (the “dreaded” heavy Dickel - which I like Dickel) would come in last.

But yet again, I’m reminded that blind tastings are humbling.

The final order, agreed upon by both of us: 6, 7, 5, 2, 4

Bardstown Discovery 6 was far and away the winner. And 7, though not that close, was second to the distant third place Discovery 5. 

The biggest takeaway for both of us was that the Bardstown Discovery series continues to improve. Get in while the gettin’s good, folks. 

57191656-E0BD-4A8C-B0C1-D9D3EE66A29E.jpeg

• I like it 9

Please pardon me for shamelessly proselytizing & gloating a little bit right now, but this evening I'm celebrating and enjoying a straight-from-the-barrel cask sample of what will turn into Still Austin's first 4 year old "Nancy's Picks" cask strength Bourbon. I know that "craft" Bourbons aren't popular on this forum a lot of the time (understandably and for good reason), but I would say that Still Austin's Bourbon is made more in the traditional "KY" style than most TX Bourbons, although the TX higher temps throughout the year do of course make some differences. 

The barrel that this sample comes from just turned 4 yesterday, June 5th, and is 117.1 proof. The recipe is 100% TX grown grains, with 70% sweet white corn (same used for TX white corn tortillas), 25% Elbon rye, and 5% malted barley, which was distilled on a 42 foot Forsyth column still. It was barreled in 53 gallon char #3 Independent Stave Company barrels, entry proof is 118, and aged in metal-clad rick houses with white siding and roofing for low thermal resistance and high thermal reflectivity for optimal diurnal temperature fluctuation during most of the year. Of course, there is very little if any true dormancy period with these barrels, so maturation is pretty much year-round. 

On a totally unrelated note, for any fans of Lynyrd Skynryd on this forum (LS were big whiskey fans), also just wanted to post a pick of my new Ronnie Van Zant "High Roller" hat that I had custom made from the same milliner who made Ronnie's high roller hats some 45+ years ago, Texas Hatters in Lockhart, TX. I had been out doing barrel analysis in the Still Austin rick houses earlier in the day, and got the measurement for this hat after work. 

Cheers!

Nancy

IMG_1010.jpg

fullsizeoutput_185.jpeg

• I like it 19

14 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Please pardon me for shamelessly proselytizing & gloating a little bit right now, but this evening I'm celebrating and enjoying a straight-from-the-barrel cask sample of what will turn into Still Austin's first 4 year old "Nancy's Picks" cask strength Bourbon. I know that "craft" Bourbons aren't popular on this forum a lot of the time (understandably and for good reason), but I would say that Still Austin's Bourbon is made more in the traditional "KY" style than most TX Bourbons, although the TX higher temps throughout the year do of course make some differences. 

The barrel that this sample comes from just turned 4 yesterday, June 5th, and is 117.1 proof. The recipe is 100% TX grown grains, with 70% sweet white corn (same used for TX white corn tortillas), 25% Elbon rye, and 5% malted barley, which was distilled on a 42 foot Forsyth column still. It was barreled in 53 gallon char #3 Independent Stave Company barrels, entry proof is 118, and aged in metal-clad rick houses with white siding and roofing for low thermal resistance and high thermal reflectivity for optimal diurnal temperature fluctuation during most of the year. Of course, there is very little if any true dormancy period with these barrels, so maturation is pretty much year-round. 

On a totally unrelated note, for any fans of Lynyrd Skynryd on this forum (LS were big whiskey fans), also just wanted to post a pick of my new Ronnie Van Zant "High Roller" hat that I had custom made from the same milliner who made Ronnie's high roller hats some 45+ years ago, Texas Hatters in Lockhart, TX. I had been out doing barrel analysis in the Still Austin rick houses earlier in the day, and got the measurement for this hat after work. 

Cheers!

Nancy

Nice to hear from you again Nancy. Congrats and nice job with the TX Whiskey. FWIW, when I started reading your last paragraph and saw Lynyrd  Skynyrd, I immediately thought that you’d acquired another guitar! 😁 I do have to say that hat does suit you. 😉

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

31 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Cheers!

Nancy

IMG_1010.jpg

fullsizeoutput_185.jpeg

Good to see ya on here! Always cool to see your name mentioned when reading about whiskeys you have your hand in. Love the hat.. sad to think Skynyrd would not be allowed in todays world. 
So if the Austin whiskey at 4yrs tastes like an 8yr due to the increased maturation.. you got any plans to take some mgp out there and let it age quickly? 
Hope all is well with you.

sad to think Skynyrd would not be allowed in todays world. 

sure they would! look at the DBT!!

cheers!

The last week or so has been semi-dry for me because my wife and I were watching our grandkids and their dog Harper while our son and  daughter in law were on vacation. The kids are now home after a wonderful vacation. Our grandkids are now back with their mom and dad as is Harper. All is now quiet here in northern Illinois. 🙂 I started the evening with a short, bottle kill pour of BT while watching the Women’s College Softball World Series semi-finals with my wife. I then decided to have a pour of ER, but the freaking cork broke. 🤬 I decided to then have a pour from my freezer bottle of OF 86. There was only a little left, so this ended up being a bottle kill pour too. 😬 Sooo, I ended the evening with a couple of nice pours of MM. It was a crazy night with some really good softball games, as well as some equally good bourbon.

FWIW, my wife played a number of sports throughout her high school and college days. She was pretty good. Hell, when we first met, she darn near beat me in 1 on 1 basketball. 😲 She was also a catcher in softball. Quite a number of years ago, she talked me into watching womens college softball on tv. I’m glad she did. I’ve grown to really like and appreciate womens college softball over the years, especially their World Series. The athletes and games are great, and the female crew calling the games for ESPN is top notch. Game 1 of the Womens College Softball World Series finals is Wednesday night. Y’all might want to check it out. I know what we’ll be watching. 😉 Batter Up!

Biba! Joe 

image.thumb.jpeg.63a32b67532cb4834266b3c37547ef5b.jpeg

• I like it 6

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

The last week or so has been semi-dry for me because my wife and I were watching our grandkids and their dog Harper while our son and  daughter in law were on vacation. The kids are now home after a wonderful vacation. Our grandkids are now back with their mom and dad as is Harper. All is now quiet here in northern Illinois. 🙂 I started the evening with a short, bottle kill pour of BT while watching the Women’s College Softball World Series semi-finals with my wife. I then decided to have a pour of ER, but the freaking cork broke. 🤬 I decided to then have a pour from my freezer bottle of OF 86. There was only a little left, so this ended up being a bottle kill pour too. 😬 Sooo, I ended the evening with a couple of nice pours of MM. It was a crazy night with some really good softball games, as well as some equally good bourbon.

FWIW, my wife played a number of sports throughout her high school and college days. She was pretty good. Hell, when we first met, she darn near beat me in 1 on 1 basketball. 😲 She was also a catcher in softball. Quite a number of years ago, she talked me into watching womens college softball on tv. I’m glad she did. I’ve grown to really like and appreciate womens college softball over the years, especially their World Series. The athletes and games are great, and the female crew calling the games for ESPN is top notch. Game 1 of the Womens College Softball World Series finals is Wednesday night. Y’all might want to check it out. I know what we’ll be watching. 😉 Batter Up!

Biba! Joe 

image.thumb.jpeg.63a32b67532cb4834266b3c37547ef5b.jpeg

My daughter played travel softball since age 11 and plays in college now (not D1).  It is an exciting fast paced game, much more so that baseball.

Edited by hughewil
  • I like it 1

12 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Cheers!

Nancy

You just shamelessly keep on posting!!!

I'd say, most here are interested in your blending & tasting exploits. It's good to get your updates however slight they may be. (little bit of a dig there 😜)

And who doesn't like Skynard? (we don't like them either)

• I like it 3

Back on old-school Bakers.  I’m glad I have a bunch back for future consumption.

3A590A18-1268-4B9F-B5B9-7049130835A8.jpeg

• I like it 8

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

Back on old-school Bakers.  I’m glad I have a bunch back for future consumption.

3A590A18-1268-4B9F-B5B9-7049130835A8.jpeg

I love the look of those cut crystal Glencairn glasses.  👍🏻

• I like it 1

MM 46 CS watching Rangers - Lightning. Stanley Cup hockey is a fun watch.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.