What Bourbon did you Purchase (Summer 2022)

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

15 hours ago, flahute said:

Ah! Could be a glass issue. 

When you think about the coy hill hazmat being released in 375ml at distillery as well, it really points to the glass issue to me.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, IamMatt said:

I have no problem with the 375s since at my TW they were priced no higher per oz than the (unavailable) 750s.  And if I have something I am drinking slowly, it might be nice to have some empty 375s to transfer it into when the level starts getting low.

Same

3 hours ago, geclbxf said:

When you think about the coy hill hazmat being released in 375ml at distillery as well, it really points to the glass issue to me.

Now that you put it this way, I am sure that's it.

When they start putting it in milk cartons, then we'll REALLY know there is a glass shortage!

• I like it 3

Made a trip to Houston yesterday and picked up a few goodies. I have not tried the Sagamore rye yet, looking forward to opening it up. I also did not know that Whistlepig, PiggyBack was doing barrel pics, I’m guessing its barrel proof. 
AE426A22-F881-4823-BC5F-814CA81B7FF8.thumb.jpeg.39b3f02aa7f273e86a76cdd130c2343b.jpeg

• I like it 8

I assume that KC12 at $60 is a good purchase (PA State Liquor price, presently a fair amount in stock).  The only place I've of it being cheaper are 1) Costco'a that get a random (at least to us) shipment and 2) Indiana Krogers during 30% off days if they have it.

I have increasingly gotten into KC.  Thanks to some of you, a friend who is really good at picking store picks, and the visit to Beam where we got lucky and had a really good one to "bottle your own".  Bad influences everywhere I turn.  

• I like it 5

We're on vacation nearby, so we stopped by the distillery and picked a couple of these up.

Limit one per customer @ $49.99 ea.

I  haven't seen it lately, in the Baltimore metro area. 

As another poster stated, the reason was a glass shortage.  She told me that there was a time when they weren't bottling at all.

They finally got what they needed and  now they're starting to send them to the VA ABC stores.

Old Fashioneds are on deck!

20220828_155820.jpg

• I like it 7

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

We're on vacation nearby, so we stopped by the distillery and picked a couple of these up.

Limit one per customer @ $49.99 ea.

I  haven't seen it lately, in the Baltimore metro area. 

As another poster stated, the reason was a glass shortage.  She told me that there was a time when they weren't bottling at all.

They finally got what they needed and  now they're starting to send them to the VA ABC stores.

Old Fashioneds are on deck!

20220828_155820.jpg

This is good news!  Every time I check the shelves and see that shape, my heart skips a beat. But it always turns out to be Bowman Brothers or Issac. If this stuff starts reappearing, I may go into full-on hoarding mode. My lone bottle has been holding the last two decent pours for months. Can't bring myself to finish it until another is procured. 

• I like it 1

Picked up a Very Old Barton for 17$ and a David Nicholson for $11.50

Passed on a KC9 store pick for $70

Lots of over priced stuff at the Bardstown Wine and Spirits

Edited by Dannabis

On 8/21/2022 at 8:32 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Is the 8-year Dickel the bourbon?  I have been seeing quite a few bottles around Indy recently.  Obviously, if you stayed out until 2 and was nodded out, you must have have a good time.  What did you think about the whiskey?

The 8 year Dickel is a bourbon tennessee whiskey.

It's a decent sip. I will need another go at a more alert moment in time.

It was a decent fire.

My friend the nightowl said he'd be over by 11pm but showed up after 12 so I didnt want to send him home but phew I can't stay up that late!!

It's nice to see Dickel with age statements instead of random 8s or 12s on the label and NAS.

• I like it 1

I think the boom has broken me of the bourbon buying habit other than bottom shelf, OGDBIB and EWBIB and a few basic others. The value to price ratio just seems destroyed. 

Me being in to bourbon over 8 years ago has ruined me on price hikes

• I like it 4

33 minutes ago, Dannabis said:

Picked up a Very Old Barton for 17$ and a David Nicholson for $11.50

Passed on a KC9 store pick for $70

Lots of over priced stuff at the Bardstown Wine and Spirits

That store started going tater a few years ago. Grabbed a Weller SR for $29.99 there one year. (2018?) Went back the next year and it was $69.99.  🤯

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Thomm said:

This is good news!  Every time I check the shelves and see that shape, my heart skips a beat. But it always turns out to be Bowman Brothers or Issac. If this stuff starts reappearing, I may go into full-on hoarding mode. My lone bottle has been holding the last two decent pours for months. Can't bring myself to finish it until another is procured. 

Yeah...I haven't seen 'em either and it's been a while since we've even tasted it.

As you can see, we're off to a good start,  and it's only day 2 of our vacation.😂

I'm probably going to pick another one, or two,  before we leave.

This is one that's been flying under the radar, and I hope it stays the way😉

20220828_201738.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 4

On 8/27/2022 at 7:56 AM, IamMatt said:

I have no problem with the 375s since at my TW they were priced no higher per oz than the (unavailable) 750s.  And if I have something I am drinking slowly, it might be nice to have some empty 375s to transfer it into when the level starts getting low.

I actually prefer the 375s since at my local TW they are actually cheaper per ounce than the 750s or the 750s at Bevmo or K&L.  It's a good size to bring to a gathering too.  Since there won't be much or any left at the end you won't regret leaving it behind.  And the empties are good for bottle splits as well. 

• I like it 2

I am heading to a new liquor store next week and i went online to preview their inventory. I was blown away as under Bourbon there were over 400 listings. Now even discounting 375ml bottles, that is an overwhelming number of bottles. I have to admit, I hadn’t heard of half of them and was not surprised that Weller, Elmer T. Lee and other old favorites were nowhere to be found. I might have to step out of my comfort zone and try something new. 

• I like it 1

23 minutes ago, RT Fan said:

I am heading to a new liquor store next week and i went online to preview their inventory. I was blown away as under Bourbon there were over 400 listings. Now even discounting 375ml bottles, that is an overwhelming number of bottles. I have to admit, I hadn’t heard of half of them and was not surprised that Weller, Elmer T. Lee and other old favorites were nowhere to be found. I might have to step out of my comfort zone and try something new. 

A new TW outlet???  Be afraid, be very afraid . . . . .  😵

• I like it 2

nice to get these at retail. I thought the EC 8 year single barrel barrel proof was a bit spendy at $79, but I had yet to see one so i grabbed it. Also excited to try the Old Elk. $79 for a 6 year wheated whiskey at barrel proof. Those 2 were risky purchases for me. The others were known qualities at great prices.

image.jpg.001c824df9467084c839f6bc47a4f6fb.jpg

IMG_8752 copy 2.heic

Edited by steven s
  • I like it 9

21 hours ago, Dannabis said:

I think the boom has broken me of the bourbon buying habit other than bottom shelf, OGDBIB and EWBIB and a few basic others. The value to price ratio just seems destroyed. 

Me being in to bourbon over 8 years ago has ruined me on price hikes

Sounds like you have achieved Bourbon Zen!

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

A new TW outlet???  Be afraid, be very afraid . . . . .  😵

Yes, I believe it is the only one in my neck of the woods. Roughly 50 miles from me, hence the reconnaissance 😁

• I like it 2

Lawrenceburg released a couple

16 1/2 yr old SingleBarrels today for KY disaster relief. Also picked up a 375 of JD BP after all the recent talk on here. 

D96A855B-76B6-4EFB-9D09-02500F0C1A18.thumb.jpeg.d14945010369d7b7cec8fda33f021685.jpegDF56EB72-B603-4752-91F6-7EA78CB46C08.thumb.jpeg.7dcefcfa2cb539333ff0c976c24a5ce4.jpeg

• I like it 11

Costco has finally gotten the Kirkland BIB made by Barton 1792, and I see they've added a Small Batch @ 92 proof and a Single Barrel @ 120! I got the BIB today but will be grabbing the SB and SMB next trip over, take the small batch up to the neighbor's backyard "bar" for our neighborhood hangs. ;) I like the BIB, reminds me of the 1792 small batch with a little more kick. Still has that dark fruit thing I love up front and occasionally it's giving me...bubble gum?...on the back of the palate late in the finish...a fun pour and really affordable!

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, steven s said:

nice to get these at retail. I thought the EC 8 year single barrel barrel proof was a bit spendy at $79, but I had yet to see one so i grabbed it. Also excited to try the Old Elk. $79 for a 6 year wheated whiskey at barrel proof. Those 2 were risky purchases for me. The others were known qualities at great prices.

image.jpg.001c824df9467084c839f6bc47a4f6fb.jpg

IMG_8752 copy 2.heic 853.36 kB · 1 download

Not saying this to be a jerk, just an observation:

Interesting that you find 8 year Single Barrel, BP Elijah Craig rye recipe bourbon as “spendy”,

but

6 year MGP BP wheat whiskey as “excited to try”

when both are the same price.

it”ll be fun to see how they compare to your expectations.

• I like it 3

15 hours ago, RT Fan said:

Yes, I believe it is the only one in my neck of the woods. Roughly 50 miles from me, hence the reconnaissance 😁

Listen to GeeTen.

TW sells a ton of whiskey labels bottled only for their stores.  You can spot them - it's something no one else carries, usually 80 proof, young or no age statement.  I say pass.

On the other hand, if they offer a known brand at a good price - go for it.

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

Listen to GeeTen.

TW sells a ton of whiskey labels bottled only for their stores.  You can spot them - it's something no one else carries, usually 80 proof, young or no age statement.  I say pass.

On the other hand, if they offer a known brand at a good price - go for it.

I already have plenty of mediocre 80-ish proof bottles that I got bundled with the good stuff. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.