What Bourbon did you Purchase (Summer 2022)

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Dannabis said:

My wallet just keeps getting sucker punched by me and this brown juice habit.

Picked up an 8 year Dickel, a 2013 EWSiB (elsewhere saw an EW 2014 I also probably shoulda took) and a KC9SiB.

Cracked the Dickel at my brothers house with his stinky Mastiff pup, our friend Vin, and a nice fire. 

Stayed out til after 2am. Was nodding out in my chair.

Passed on the Dickel 15year for $100.

That is probably a fair price but I just don't lay out that much on bourbon really ever.

Is the 8-year Dickel the bourbon?  I have been seeing quite a few bottles around Indy recently.  Obviously, if you stayed out until 2 and was nodded out, you must have have a good time.  What did you think about the whiskey?

• I like it 1

On 8/19/2022 at 5:46 PM, Jazzhead said:

A good friend gifted me this bottle today,   who knows this one of my favorites.   I was pleasantly surprised to see that FEW now carries a four year age statement.   This has evolved to become one cracker of a bourbon,  ready and able to challenge the big boys.   Very similar to Bartons Small Batch IMO.   Fantastic mouthfeel of leather and cherries.

20220819_173837.jpg

One that I have never had but always wanted to try.

• I like it 1

On 8/19/2022 at 9:56 PM, hughewil said:

Kentucky haul

kyhaul.jpeg.16a46cac921877e7a0bc350cc3030e6e.jpeg

th.jpg

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 3

9 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Short drive to Indiana?  A store that rhymes with Rays in Angola or farther south?  Either way, nice pickups.

You are correct Sir

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Is the 8-year Dickel the bourbon?  I have been seeing quite a few bottles around Indy recently.  Obviously, if you stayed out until 2 and was nodded out, you must have have a good time.  What did you think about the whiskey?

I believe Dickel and JD "Tennessee Whiskey" meet all the TTB requirements to be labeled as Bourbon.  It's all in the marketing.  They want to distinguish it.

• I like it 3

15 hours ago, Anwalt said:

K&L wines in CA has 15y Dickel for $50 or so; check out their website.  I don't think they ship outside the Bay Area. 

They ship spirits anywhere in CA, but only to CA.  They also offer local delivery from their two stores in the Bay Area and one in L.A. County.

• I like it 2

On 8/21/2022 at 11:16 AM, smokinjoe said:

Kevin, is that LA Los Angeles, Louisiana, or Lower Alabama?  😁

That would be the city of angels  LA good sir 😉 though I have not shopped the Costcos in either Louisiana or Lower Alabama so for all I know it might apply to all 3!!

Edited by kcgumbohead

On 8/21/2022 at 7:38 PM, Anwalt said:

K&L wines in CA has 15y Dickel for $50 or so; check out their website.  I don't think they ship outside the Bay Area.  I have a friend there who receives & holds my orders until mules are available.  You'll likely need such a local contact.  So some hassle, but some savings.  And some really good store picks.  Many thanks to fosmith for pointing all of the above out.

Thank you for the tip! Def want to try out the GD15 especially if it can be had around that dollar mark.

• I like it 1

Picked up a KC 12 yr today had to pay  $ 70  but I do like the contents of that bottle..

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, CaptTim said:

Picked up a KC 12 yr today had to pay  $ 70  but I do like the contents of that bottle..

Outstanding!  It really is a simple philosophy, as you show:  

You like a whiskey.

You determine your own price limits for that whiskey.  

You pay within those limits (which may shift at the time when the whiskey is in front of you😁)
You go home happy.  

Nothing else matters.

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

• I like it 6

I don’t need any more bourbon. I don’t need any more bourbon. I don’t…………😬

It’s been a while since I’ve had anything from WT. FWIW, I recently received a notification that my membership in “The Flock” was under review, and might be revoked unless I purchased something from WT. 😉 So, I went to one of my local liquor stores and perused the bourbon aisle. I grabbed a bottle of WT 101 on sale for $19.99. 😁  “Gobble til ya’ wobble!”  🦃

That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it. 🤥

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.628796f80f8fbe950f9d9733c2341b72.jpeg

• I like it 11

Not really a bourbon, but it does go nicely with my recently purchased ER. Our neighbors across the street are moving to Mississippi to be closer to their grandkids. Their moving sale started today. I couldn’t resist.   🦅  

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.6bed13cd434f56a08d46f0a49e00eddf.jpeg

• I like it 10

A buddy from NE OH made a quick unplanned visit to PR that had nothing to do with me.  But he did think of me, called, and had me pick a few bottles for me to buy & him to mule.  His suitcase being fairly empty & all.

Drinking the same in celebration, except it's a TW store pick version.

RR SiB.jpg

• I like it 8

Family sized WT 101 and BT to help keep the pantry flush.  

• I like it 5

x3 JDSiBBP................375mls.

I was very early on the JDBP train in these parts and at that time the taters here turned up their nose at it. Now stores can't keep it in stock.

For some odd reason the TWs have bee getting them in 375s. I noticed about 2 months ago slightly too late. Now it's back. I'll take it.

• I like it 5

18 minutes ago, flahute said:

x3 JDSiBBP................375mls.

I was very early on the JDBP train in these parts and at that time the taters here turned up their nose at it. Now stores can't keep it in stock.

For some odd reason the TWs have bee getting them in 375s. I noticed about 2 months ago slightly too late. Now it's back. I'll take it.

Same around here, if you can find it, it is a 375.  I was wondering if it is a glass shortage issue?

• I like it 1

I picked up another old school Baker's Small Batch to add to my stash.  I might have enough of these now,...  BUT all I know is that every time I open up a new one, it seems to empty itself rather quickly.  🤷‍♂️

So I tell myself I'm just planning ahead. 😉

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

Same around here, if you can find it, it is a 375.  I was wondering if it is a glass shortage issue?

Ah! Could be a glass issue. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

12 minutes ago, flahute said:

Ah! Could be a glass issue. 

Could be ... but here the taters are on to JDSiBBP pretty hard.  So I figure the 750's are being hoarded.  But I don't know for sure.

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Could be ... but here the taters are on to JDSiBBP pretty hard.  So I figure the 750's are being hoarded.  But I don't know for sure.

I wouldn’t argue with that but my local manager says he hasn’t been able to get anything but 375’s for several months from the distributor/wholesaler.

10 minutes ago, markandrex said:

I wouldn’t argue with that but my local manager says he hasn’t been able to get anything but 375’s for several months from the distributor/wholesaler.

Ok, well that's actual real world information on the ground, so bottle/glass availability is probably what the issue is after all.   I'd rather it be glass shortage than tater hoarding, Lol!

FWIW,I was talking to my local store about the recent disappearance of Pikesville Rye and we speculated that glass might be the reason it has been non-existent for several months.  If you think about it, the Pikesville Rye bottle design is unique and I can't think of any other spirit that uses that particular D-shaped bottle.  Just a thought, ... who really knows 🤷‍♂️

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

I have no problem with the 375s since at my TW they were priced no higher per oz than the (unavailable) 750s.  And if I have something I am drinking slowly, it might be nice to have some empty 375s to transfer it into when the level starts getting low.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.