What Bourbon did you Purchase (Summer 2022)

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

1792 Small Batch is a regular pick up, for me.  Nice whiskey at a very nice price, and oft overlooked by many enthusiasts.  Plus, I love the packaging.  It looks very nice on the bar.  If you end up liking it, there are a couple of other expressions of it at higher proof and more age that you might look for as steps up.  👍🏻

It is a lovely looking bottle. Apart from 2 stores in Dublin I have not seen it around before. Reasonable price at €55 (it was €65 in the other store) . Looking forward to trying it soon. 

• I like it 2

Here are this weekend's two new additions to the beach shack bunker.    The Phillies honored their alumni this weekend by outhomering the Nationals 14 - 2 ,  and both bottles assisted with the  toasting.

The Nelson Brothers Reserve is a worthy replacement for the departed Belle Meade. I have heard conflicting reports on the provenance of this juice.    No doubt in my mind it is all or mostly MGP high rye  bourbon.

The Manatawny is its own thing;  I'd recommend it to anyone who likes Balcones single malt.  

20220807_211124.jpg

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Jazzhead said:

Here are this weekend's two new additions to the beach shack bunker.    The Phillies honored their alumni this weekend by outhomering the Nationals 14 - 2 ,  and both bottles assisted with the  toasting.

The Nelson Brothers Reserve is a worthy replacement for the departed Belle Meade. I have heard conflicting reports on the provenance of this juice.    No doubt in my mind it is all or mostly MGP high rye  bourbon.

The Manatawny is its own thing;  I'd recommend it to anyone who likes Balcones single malt.  

20220807_211124.jpg

I don't mean to criticize, but isn't the Kruk bobblehead a more suitable companion for the bar top?

• I like it 1

On 8/7/2022 at 9:08 AM, Bourbon Scout said:

A case of blantons has a mix of both, boxed around  the corners protecting the mesh inside the case.

Interesting.  I rarely see single bottles of Blanton's much less a full case.  But it makes no sense why they would package it that way when they don't do that with any of their products... 

Not a purchase but a gift from my favorite cousin, who was at my house for our annual Lobsterfest. He gets invited back!

717D32BA-5EC1-45E9-86E5-6CD140C73AFA.jpeg

• I like it 6

7 hours ago, gmrv4 said:

Neighborhood shop got 2 of these. Thought I would give it a try.

image0 (1).jpeg

I passed on that couple weeks ago.  Please tell us what you think of it.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, CaptTim said:

I passed on that couple weeks ago.  Please tell us what you think of it.

MSRP creeped up to $100 in Ohio - this bottle was a value not that long ago.

Do tell us what you think.

• I like it 3

12 hours ago, geclbxf said:

Pulling the cork on this Wednesday night with a Buddy. I will get back with impressions.

I’ve been on the sidelines for a while. Long story. Finally got out and about today. 🤗

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.8e6aa3f9bed2bf7a066c520d5be24451.jpeg

• I like it 14

On 8/9/2022 at 6:01 AM, geclbxf said:

$100?  Ouch.  I wouldn't call that price creeping up,  It's more than doubled in just a few years!

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

$100?  Ouch.  I wouldn't call that price creeping up,  It's more than doubled in just a few years!

I still regret not buying cases of this stuff when we lived back in NC for $40 a bottle back in 2016-2017. I remember when the local ABC manager said some of "his regulars said it was good and you should stock up on it." I stocked up on it, but didn't buy it like I wish I had now. Especially at that price point!

3 minutes ago, elmossle said:

I still regret not buying cases of this stuff when we lived back in NC for $40 a bottle back in 2016-2017. I remember when the local ABC manager said some of "his regulars said it was good and you should stock up on it." I stocked up on it, but didn't buy it like I wish I had now. Especially at that price point!

Yeah unfortunately you may be right.  I bought a couple cases myself and glad I did.  It's one of my favorites and I love it during the Christmas holiday season especially.

• I like it 1

On 8/9/2022 at 6:11 PM, gmrv4 said:

Pulling the cork on this Wednesday night with a Buddy. I will get back with impressions.

Impressions of Rebel 10 year. While I am a long-time bourbon drinker, I often do not pick up on some of the more subtle nuances that many reviews seem to perceive. With that in mind here we go.

There is lots of bright fruit on the nose. It seems to alternate between cherry and orange never sure which is coming next.

On the palate more fruit is present, also cherry like, and then moving into a caramel covered cherry taste. I has an 'old' complexity feeling to it. A bit unique in my experience.

On the finish the oak finally comes through though not strong, and then the 'wheatness' jumps up at the end. The 'old' dusty taste continues. Not sweet. Not spicy. Old dark oak lingers.

I decided to pull out a bottle of Weller 12 year. I have had this bottle for years when you could just walk in and buy a bottle anytime you wanted. It had been open for a month when we celebrated my Bourbon Buddy obtaining a job. The W12 was as familiar, comfortable, and enjoyable as it always is. The point here it made the uniqueness of the Rebel 10 year even more special. Up until we compared these side by side the Rebel was just fine with something unique going on. But it became a bit more special having compared both.

I hope I haven't left you folks more confused than ever. The price of this bottle was slightly outside of my comfort zone. I haven't purchased any bottles for a couple of months, so I had the coin to experiment with and take a chance on this bottle. 10-year wheaters are a bit rare, I was curious and was ready to gamble. As I have said this was unique to my experience and I am glad I took the leap.

• I like it 5

44 minutes ago, gmrv4 said:

While I am a long-time bourbon drinker, I often do not pick up on some of the more subtle nuances that many reviews seem to perceive.

That, Sir, is a piece of writing worthy of Noel Coward. 

• I like it 3

I’m in France, was surprised to see this on the shelf.  I guess Sazerac exporting to this to Europe in spiffy new packaging and a 700ML bottle is one way to keep the scarcity back in the States.  45 euros is about double what I used to pay when you could find these 4-5 years back.  Still good deal these days for 12 year bourbon over 40%.

Not the fantastic chocolate bomb, leather and oak I remember.  Will need to retry tonight.

101E216F-D3DA-4A8A-A0BA-FCE2523B092A.jpeg

• I like it 6

Picked up a bottle of FR SmB yesterday. It's a deadly potion, drinks too easily. Seems to disappear every time I buy it.

• I like it 4

On 8/11/2022 at 9:46 AM, gmrv4 said:

Impressions of Rebel 10 year. While I am a long-time bourbon drinker, I often do not pick up on some of the more subtle nuances that many reviews seem to perceive. With that in mind here we go.

There is lots of bright fruit on the nose. It seems to alternate between cherry and orange never sure which is coming next.

On the palate more fruit is present, also cherry like, and then moving into a caramel covered cherry taste. I has an 'old' complexity feeling to it. A bit unique in my experience.

On the finish the oak finally comes through though not strong, and then the 'wheatness' jumps up at the end. The 'old' dusty taste continues. Not sweet. Not spicy. Old dark oak lingers.

I decided to pull out a bottle of Weller 12 year. I have had this bottle for years when you could just walk in and buy a bottle anytime you wanted. It had been open for a month when we celebrated my Bourbon Buddy obtaining a job. The W12 was as familiar, comfortable, and enjoyable as it always is. The point here it made the uniqueness of the Rebel 10 year even more special. Up until we compared these side by side the Rebel was just fine with something unique going on. But it became a bit more special having compared both.

I hope I haven't left you folks more confused than ever. The price of this bottle was slightly outside of my comfort zone. I haven't purchased any bottles for a couple of months, so I had the coin to experiment with and take a chance on this bottle. 10-year wheaters are a bit rare, I was curious and was ready to gamble. As I have said this was unique to my experience and I am glad I took the leap.

Thank you for the in-depth review.. much appreciated.  I think the bottle is still available at one of my local stores.

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I’m in France, was surprised to see this on the shelf.  I guess Sazerac exporting to this to Europe in spiffy new packaging and a 700ML bottle is one way to keep the scarcity back in the States.  45 euros is about double what I used to pay when you could find these 4-5 years back.  Still good deal these days for 12 year bourbon over 40%.

Not the fantastic chocolate bomb, leather and oak I remember.  Will need to retry tonight.

101E216F-D3DA-4A8A-A0BA-FCE2523B092A.jpeg

What part of France are you in? We have friends who live in the Alsace region on the border near Germany and Switzerland. Love visiting there!

Edited by mal00768

19 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

What part of France are you in? We have friends who live in the Alsace region on the border near Germany and Switzerland. Love visiting there!

Very cool, my wife has a friend in the Alps region on the border with Geneva, beautiful area.

Im staying about 1.5 hours from Paris, Normandy region.

• I like it 2

I got ahead of things a month or so back, by picking up a Rare Breed for the Thanksgiving Holiday.  Seems that if I wait until November, it’s really hard to find them.  Saw one today at $49 which is a good price for the places I shop, so picked it up so I can enjoy this really good whiskey over the next 3 months…if it lasts that long…🤪

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I got ahead of things a month or so back, by picking up a Rare Breed for the Thanksgiving Holiday.  Seems that if I wait until November, it’s really hard to find them.  Saw one today at $49 which is a good price for the places I shop, so picked it up so I can enjoy this really good whiskey over the next 3 months…if it lasts that long…🤪

Ha! I hear you. When Rare Breed finally came back in stock a month or so ago I ended up buying 7-8 total over multiple purchases at various stores over about a week's time just to make sure I have it around for the next year (and at Thanksgiving!). Couldn't believe I actually had to stock up on that one. It's now out of stock again with no indication that it will be back any time soon.

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

3 hours ago, flahute said:

Ha! I hear you. When Rare Breed finally came back in stock a month or so ago I ended up buying 7-8 total over multiple purchases at various stores over about a week's time just to make sure I have it around for the next year (and at Thanksgiving!). Couldn't believe I actually had to stock up on that one. It's now out of stock again with no indication that it will be back any time soon.

You are guys are like Boy Scouts or really like Brothers from a different Mother.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.