What Bourbon did you Purchase (Summer 2022)

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Found my first 1792 BiB today, along with OGD 114 which I've been wanting to try for a while now.

Image.thumb.jpeg.c26c14b9bf12bd116ffbc7e4c55016b8.jpeg

• I like it 10

A good friend gifted me this bottle today,   who knows this one of my favorites.   I was pleasantly surprised to see that FEW now carries a four year age statement.   This has evolved to become one cracker of a bourbon,  ready and able to challenge the big boys.   Very similar to Bartons Small Batch IMO.   Fantastic mouthfeel of leather and cherries.

20220819_173837.jpg

• I like it 4

10 hours ago, hughewil said:

My private barrel pick

It is damned good.  A bit of ice really did wonders for it.  Thanks for picking and thanks for sharing!

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, Anwalt said:

It is damned good.  A bit of ice really did wonders for it.  Thanks for picking and thanks for sharing!

I don't use ice, but in a 2 oz pour I put 2 drops of water  from a  dropper and it brings out the cocoa flavor.

• I like it 2

Bought a lot (circa 160 bottles) on the Bourbon Trail trip with my son.  He now has a nice stash!  I will post the XL in a few days.  Thanks to those of you who helped guide me (you know who you are) during the trip.  Also, thanks to all of you in general.  You've really helped me find good things and avoid bad ones.  We did have no small amount of luck, founds some very nice bottles.  More on the Distillery thread, I will update as time permits.  Just a fantastic trip.

Based on consistent reviews here, I finally tried the RR SiB (non-store pick version).  Runs about $60 in Ohio.  I really, really liked it.  I have some store picks to try as well.  This will likely become a frequently hit bottle for me.  Ditto the good old WTRB.  Great stuff and I never would have thought to go for it but for the constant comments here.  The WTRB is starting to become a tater favorite, some places in Ohio are putting it in the "allocated" section.  I mean to stock up, OH retail is about $50.  Good price?

Question:  How does the WTKS SiB Select compare?  I see some at $60.  Now that I'm liking the WT I'm curious about other versions.

RR SiB.jpg

• I like it 6

3 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Bought a lot (circa 160 bottles) on the Bourbon Trail trip with my son.  He now has a nice stash!  I will post the XL in a few days.  Thanks to those of you who helped guide me (you know who you are) during the trip.  Also, thanks to all of you in general.  You've really helped me find good things and avoid bad ones.  We did have no small amount of luck, founds some very nice bottles.  More on the Distillery thread, I will update as time permits.  Just a fantastic trip.

Based on consistent reviews here, I finally tried the RR SiB (non-store pick version).  Runs about $60 in Ohio.  I really, really liked it.  I have some store picks to try as well.  This will likely become a frequently hit bottle for me.  Ditto the good old WTRB.  Great stuff and I never would have thought to go for it but for the constant comments here.  The WTRB is starting to become a tater favorite, some places in Ohio are putting it in the "allocated" section.  I mean to stock up, OH retail is about $50.  Good price?

Question:  How does the WTKS SiB Select compare?  I see some at $60.  Now that I'm liking the WT I'm curious about other versions.

RR SiB.jpg

Just my opinion, WTKS is about half in of what RRSiB is. WTKS is good depending on the barrel (obvious) but it just feels kind of “watered down”. Whereas RRSiB is so rich and complex yet dangerously drinkable for the proof, it’s just in another league.

That being said, I love everything WT. Please let us know if you try the RRSiB Rye.

• I like it 5

18 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Just my opinion, WTKS is about half in of what RRSiB is. WTKS is good depending on the barrel (obvious) but it just feels kind of “watered down”. Whereas RRSiB is so rich and complex yet dangerously drinkable for the proof, it’s just in another league.

That being said, I love everything WT. Please let us know if you try the RRSiB Rye.

Thanks for your thoughts.  The RRSiB really is hard to beat, will let you all know about the RRSiB Rye, among others.  

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Anwalt said:

RR SiB.jpg

RR SiB is better than WTKS but WTRB is better than RR 10 year.  So that is how I buy and drink them.  My RR are the single barrel or select barrels and my WT are RB and 101.

However that said they are all good and better than most other selections.

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, Anwalt said:

RR SiB.jpg

This also reminds me to go ahead a grab another bottle of WTRB since mine is 1/2 gone

Edited by hughewil
  • I like it 4

I found an Eagle Rare on the shelf at my local Meijer today.  First one I have seen since before the pandemic.  $29.99 so I picked it up.  Also grabbed an OGDBIB.  I will take the ER, WTRB Rye, Blanton's, and WLW to Michigan next week when I hook up with two of my best friends....an older friend and my oldest son and his girlfriend who also drinks bourbon.  His girlfriend is quickly moving onto my best friend list as she has been throwing sh.t at me all night. Two years in...who knows what's next.  But, next week, travel, hanging out and enjoy everyone's company.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 6

13 hours ago, Anwalt said:

RR SiB.jpg

Day in, day out you simply won't beat RRSiB. 

Having said that there are some WTKS private picks that are really fantastic and worth the $60.  Most WTKS picks aren't as good as RRSiB.  But if you find a good one. ...

The problem in today's frenzied environment is that store picks sell out so fast that stores are no longer incentivized to provide a sample in the store to try before you buy. Without that it makes purchases much more dicey.

Therefore sleep well knowing that standard off-the-shelf RRSiB essentially has no faults as a KSBW.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 6

Forecast called for rain so we took a short drive to Indiana picked up a couple favorites  and a new bottle to try its on the right.  Guy at the store recommended it. 

thumbnail (6).jpeg

• I like it 7

Grabbed an ER and BT at a store near me that gets them in regularly, but they sell out quick. ER went from $32 to $34, BT $28 to $31. Just about reaching the max I'm willing to pay for BT (I'm usually seeing it at ~$40 near me now at other stores, which is a pass).

• I like it 6

In LA every Costco sells liquor, not so in GA. I had heard there might be one in a town where I was doing a work site visit and it turned out to be a genuine Costco liquor dept. Being a fan of VOB BiB and it not being available in GA, I have been curious about the Kirkland Barton BiB since it was released but didn’t imagine I’d see one locally. They had it and one now resides in the bunker for future enjoyment.

• I like it 1

20 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

In LA every Costco sells liquor, not so in GA. I had heard there might be one in a town where I was doing a work site visit and it turned out to be a genuine Costco liquor dept. Being a fan of VOB BiB and it not being available in GA, I have been curious about the Kirkland Barton BiB since it was released but didn’t imagine I’d see one locally. They had it and one now resides in the bunker for future enjoyment.

Kevin, is that LA Los Angeles, Louisiana, or Lower Alabama?  😁

• I like it 3

33 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

In LA every Costco sells liquor, not so in GA.

AFAIK the regular Costco stores here all sell liquor, but the Costco Business Center doesn't.  Too bad, isn't liquor an essential business supply like copy paper and staples?

• I like it 3

Picked these two up today from my brother, who lives near the store that had them available. 

1F61696E-1051-4731-89ED-68AF8F091CD0.jpeg

• I like it 6

My wallet just keeps getting sucker punched by me and this brown juice habit.

Picked up an 8 year Dickel, a 2013 EWSiB (elsewhere saw an EW 2014 I also probably shoulda took) and a KC9SiB.

Cracked the Dickel at my brothers house with his stinky Mastiff pup, our friend Vin, and a nice fire. 

Stayed out til after 2am. Was nodding out in my chair.

Passed on the Dickel 15year for $100.

That is probably a fair price but I just don't lay out that much on bourbon really ever.

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

Picked these two up today from my brother, who lives near the store that had them available. 

Great choices!! That OF looks delicious

41 minutes ago, Dannabis said:

Passed on the Dickel 15year for $100.

K&L wines in CA has 15y Dickel for $50 or so; check out their website.  I don't think they ship outside the Bay Area.  I have a friend there who receives & holds my orders until mules are available.  You'll likely need such a local contact.  So some hassle, but some savings.  And some really good store picks.  Many thanks to fosmith for pointing all of the above out.

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, CaptTim said:

Forecast called for rain so we took a short drive to Indiana picked up a couple favorites  and a new bottle to try its on the right.  Guy at the store recommended it. 

thumbnail (6).jpeg

Short drive to Indiana?  A store that rhymes with Rays in Angola or farther south?  Either way, nice pickups.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Radioyada said:

He shoots!  He scores!!!  

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.