What rye are you drinking/ purchased 2023

Mattk

11 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

I haven't had the standard 6yr,I do have a SB CS 8yr/3mo and it is a VERY flavorful rye, quite delicious and different in a very good way, its my first OP and I am looking forward to trying some of the standard issue after the impressive results of this SB. Its an under the radar brand but it shouldn't be IMO.

It was an under the radar brand, I understand they are done for, with anchor being put down. But the standard is still a spicy and flavorful pour. Even at the lower proof.

So I just read an article which said only the brewing was owned by Sapporo. Not the distillery. So we should still be able to enjoy old potrero.

• I like it 2

I tried my first pour(s) of Pinhook Rye today courtesy of a fellow Skins fan who was taking care of the cooks at our tailgate today.

Not sure which one it is, but I think it was 116 proof and it was really, really good.

• I like it 1

Got a headache from back to back Pikesville to WTRB Rye last night.

Sushi probably wasn’t enough to handle the high proof lol.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Got a headache from back to back Pikesville to WTRB Rye last night.

Sushi probably wasn’t enough to handle the high proof lol.

Both great choices!

I was wondering what to pour on my last day of vacation, and the first full week of football.

I may have one of each😀

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 1

I wasn't going to have a pour tonight but my Astros, having lost 3 of their last 4 games to 100-loss teams, have driven me to drink 😒

A couple of recent rye purchases.  Both are very good.  Tonight I think I prefer the New Riff malted just a tad more.  The Sagamore 8 has just a wee trace of dill, which holds it back for my taste preferences.

20230915_232111.thumb.jpg.fb171371e0c6c34260b4dd717d66de26.jpg

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 3

I'm not a huge finished whiskey fan, but I was reaching through the cabinet for some lower-proof ryes, and grabbed this one.

According to the labels, it was finished in a Macvin barrel for 7 months.

I have no idea what Macvin is🤣, but it ain't Port, so I don't mind.

20230916_205200.jpg

A morning rain followed by a beautiful fall afternoon in the 70’s.  I decided an afternoon on the deck with a WT 101 Rye seemed perfect.  I’m thinking a pork tenderloin with raspberry chipotle sauce may be just right for dinner.

• I like it 2

On 9/16/2023 at 6:29 AM, Kepler said:

I wasn't going to have a pour tonight but my Astros, having lost 3 of their last 4 games to 100-loss teams, have driven me to drink 😒

A couple of recent rye purchases.  Both are very good.  Tonight I think I prefer the New Riff malted just a tad more.  The Sagamore 8 has just a wee trace of dill, which holds it back for my taste preferences.

20230915_232111.thumb.jpg.fb171371e0c6c34260b4dd717d66de26.jpg

Understood that malted rye is really good, from Anwalt! Would love to try it some day!

• I like it 1

8Enjoying a nice pour of Hard Truth High Road Rye. Hard Truth is a local distiller in Nashville, Indiana.

It is a 93 proof version of their Sweet Mash Rye which is bottled at Cask Strength.  The Sweet Mash Rye is excellent.  This one is as well.

It has a unique profile similar to Peerless who also use the Sweet Mash process.  I know Wildness Trail does as well but I haven't tried their products. I know Hard Truth contracted Wilderness Trail to distill whiskey for them and consulted with their distillers when setting up their operation. 

This has me wondering what other distillers use the Sweet Mash process.

I also picked up a backup bottle today.  I had planned to visit the distillery back in August but backed out when the heat index hit 105 the day we planned to go.

• I like it 4

On 9/18/2023 at 10:33 AM, Obree said:

Understood that malted rye is really good, from Anwalt! Would love to try it some day!

Yep, it was actually @Anwalt 's recommendation that inspired me to try this bottle.  Glad I listened to him!

• I like it 2

On 9/19/2023 at 7:24 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Enjoying a nice pour of Hard Truth High Road Rye

I will need to try their stuff. I normally avoid small, local producers until they have a track record. Too many experiences with "hot blech young gack". But Cheap Bastard Approved? We'll that's another story...

• I like it 2

This should help soothe the pain from a good old fashioned ass-whoopin' that Buffalo put on my beloved Washington Whatevers today 😫

20230924_180641.jpg

• I like it 2

37 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

I was very hesitant to buy this today, but glad I did. This is a really good Rye. 
IMG_5837.thumb.jpeg.7a69b888021c80cb44e4af48b786f962.jpeg

I like mine.

For me, a shout-out to @Anwalt for this recommendation.

• I like it 2

Dad's Hat Straight rye "Pre-Prohibition" style.

The Missus and I are up in Gettysburg,  checked out one of the state liquor stores, and picked this one up. 

We both  love the regular rye, and figured that this one has a little more age on it, and was on sale, so why not?

• I like it 2

30 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Dad's Hat Straight rye "Pre-Prohibition" style.

The Missus and I are up in Gettysburg,  checked out one of the state liquor stores, and picked this one up. 

We both  love the regular rye, and figured that this one has a little more age on it, and was on sale, so why not?

I have never had Dad's Hat but have heard great things.  It has been several years since I have been to Chicago.  Binny's carries it.  

I am enjoying a couple of pours of Alberta CS Rye while watching the Lions pound the Packers.  This Lions team is really good!

• I like it 2

On 9/26/2023 at 8:09 PM, LCWoody said:

I was very hesitant to buy this today, but glad I did. This is a really good Rye. 
IMG_5837.thumb.jpeg.7a69b888021c80cb44e4af48b786f962.jpeg

On 9/26/2023 at 8:47 PM, Kepler said:

I like mine.

For me, a shout-out to @Anwalt for this recommendation.

I tried this as white dog at the distilery when they first started making it and it was good enough to drink then. Nice to see a 6yr age statement on it now.

• I like it 3

18 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I have never had Dad's Hat but have heard great things.  It has been several years since I have been to Chicago.  Binny's carries it.  

I am enjoying a couple of pours of Alberta CS Rye while watching the Lions pound the Packers.  This Lions team is really good!

It is really good.

We've gone through a few bottles of the regular rye, and this is the first "pre-prohibition" one that I've bought.  It was on sale for $48.99, which is about $8.99 over my Mendoza line for most whiskey purchases.

The others are good enough that I didn't think that it's a leap of faith to have bought this one. I'm pretty sure it's their standard rye, but aged longer.

7 hours ago, flahute said:

I tried this as white dog at the distilery when they first started making it and it was good enough to drink then.

I believe it.  Something about New Riff whiskies are just so damned flavorful.  I figure it must be their yeast? ...

• I like it 2