What rye are you drinking/ purchased 2023

Mattk

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

They should've just left the name alone and not caved to a handful of...nevermind...this isn't the the thread for that! :ph34r:

Any change sucks...but that would've been less painful than the Commanders.   Honestly, I preferred "Washington Football Team" over the crap name that they have now.    

Well, the way things are going, you’ll be lucky to hang on to the city’s name Washington…🙄

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, Kepler said:

Trying to understand what you mean but I'm interested in the question.

Malted rye and "normal" rye taste utterly different to me. So while the malted is technically rye, not sure if the purists would allow it to share the designation "rye" with the (non-malted) rye-ryes. I did not realize just how much "malting" changes the thing. Probably a 101-level matter for many, but an epiphany for me.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Well, the way things are going, you’ll be lucky to hang on to the city’s name Washington…🙄

"Washington" is a much more offensive term than "Redskins" 😄

• I like it 2

Methinks all these people need to quit looking for things to get offended about over a sports team, and get over themselves.

• I like it 4

34 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

Malted rye and "normal" rye taste utterly different to me. So while the malted is technically rye, not sure if the purists would allow it to share the designation "rye" with the (non-malted) rye-ryes. I did not realize just how much "malting" changes the thing. Probably a 101-level matter for many, but an epiphany for me.

Thanks for clarifying.  New Riff has just now started appearing in Texas but I don't know whether they plan to bring the malted Rye or not.  If they do, I might just have to go ahead and pick one up. 🙂

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

6x 9 and 10yr Willett ryes. We selected 3 and 4. A 10yr and a 9yr. 
Both are Willett distilled and are incredible whiskies. 

IMG_7405.jpeg

• I like it 6

Every once in awhile I question myself as to why I chased down so much of this old High West.  Then I open one and it all comes back to me.

This 2014 batch has 2 year 95/5 (MGP?) blended with 16 year 53/37(corn)/10 (Barton?)

The label states that the combination is “bold, balanced, complex, and perfect for mixing”.  They recommend it in a Manhattan.

I think I’ll pass on that suggestion for now.  🥃

IMG_7690.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 7/17/2023 at 12:15 AM, 0895 said:

Bought this several years ago and finally got around to opening it this past Friday.

Single Barrel and Sweet Mash, so probably won’t find another one.

Really darn good!

IMG_7560.jpeg

The good news is, regardless of the ensuing discussion about date code vs actual barrel number, a 2015 vintage is 100% KY heritage rye unlike the blend of KY/sourced ryes from about 2018 on. Still good but that early release WTr rye with 100% KY rye has some special sauce I've yet to taste in the current releases. That is why I chased down several older bottlings. If  you get to try the 7yr it too exhibits some of what I love about those earlier bottlings.

• I like it 2

On 7/21/2023 at 7:08 PM, Anwalt said:

I would and I focus mainly on ryes and higher rye bourbons ( except for WT which while not high rye, offsets it with that classic spicy signature I attribute to the yeast, whatever, I LOVE it!!). With the ever expanding menu of ryes in the marketplace the malted certainly has its place. I appreciate what I think of as a "rounding" that the malting brings vs the more traditional punch of the unmalted. Rye has a large sandbox of characteristics so I allow a good deal of latitude in regard to a given bottlings "ryeness". I love the variety of ages, grains both heritage and not, percentages 51-100 and resulting different flavor profiles without needing to venture into the current craze of finishing, which, with a few exceptions, I am just about over.

• I like it 2

On 7/25/2023 at 6:18 PM, 0895 said:

Every once in awhile I question myself as to why I chased down so much of this old High West.  Then I open one and it all comes back to me.

This 2014 batch has 2 year 95/5 (MGP?) blended with 16 year 53/37(corn)/10 (Barton?)

The label states that the combination is “bold, balanced, complex, and perfect for mixing”.  They recommend it in a Manhattan.

I think I’ll pass on that suggestion for now.  🥃

IMG_7690.jpeg

That is a nice photo.  The High West bottle and label color almost looks like it's designed to compliment your background wall and cabinet.  Are you sure you don't work for the HW marketing department?  😄

About the whiskey, I think the oldest I was able to find for myself is from 2015.  I was a bit late to the HW dusty party.  Have you ever compared the Double Rye or Rendezvous Rye 2014 vs 2015?  I'm just curious how my 15's would stack up. 

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

That is a nice photo.  The High West bottle and label color almost looks like it's designed to compliment your background wall and cabinet.  Are you sure you don't work for the HW marketing department?  😄

About the whiskey, I think the oldest I was able to find for myself is from 2015.  I was a bit late to the HW dusty party.  Have you ever compared the Double Rye or Rendezvous Rye 2014 vs 2015?  I'm just curious how my 15's would stack up. 

Thanks.

Sometimes I like to put the effort into taking nice pictures.

I have not directly compared, but ‘14-15 should be similar.

Ive had several ’15 bottles that were all delicious.

Rendezvous was always a more premium product over DR, and 2016 is basically when things started changing for the worse.  Rendezvous was the first to fall, followed by Double rye.

I didn’t discover HW until late 2015.  Fortunately older bottles sat on shelves ignored for years until the secret got out.

• I like it 1

Baby Saz.  Working this bottle hard this week.  It is a solid mid-level rye.  If only it were more readily available.

Regarding HW, I had some stellar bottles of bottles of Rendezvous Rye and Double Rye over the years but the quality seemed to diminish over time.  Rendezvous Rye is now too expensive compared to the competition.  I guess the same can be said for Double Rye.  At least, as long as WT101 and OF100 are available in the low $20s.

• I like it 4

On 8/10/2023 at 7:36 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Baby Saz.  Working this bottle hard this week.  It is a solid mid-level rye.  If only it were more readily available.

Regarding HW, I had some stellar bottles of bottles of Rendezvous Rye and Double Rye over the years but the quality seemed to diminish over time.  Rendezvous Rye is now too expensive compared to the competition.  I guess the same can be said for Double Rye.  At least, as long as WT101 and OF100 are available in the low $20s.

I have to say, I agree with your entire post. HW priced themselves out for me on the HWDR & HWRR. I will still pick up a HWDR PS, if I know it is worth my time & cheddar. 

Cheers 

• I like it 1

I tried beating the heat earlier with an icy cold IPA from an in state brewery.   Now that I’m back inside with the A/C cranked full blast, I’ve moved onto Prideful Goat rye. The bottle is nearing completion.  I like this expression, but I probably won’t run out and get another. Mainly because, it is not enough different or better than the ryes I’ve bunkered. I will say, if you don’t have many ryes & the price doesn’t spook you, I think you will enjoy the bottle. 

Cheers

• I like it 2

We were at a farmer’s market this morning on the far side of town so I stopped in to a store I normally don’t visit.  They had a couple of cases of these.  1/customer.

IMG_1863.jpeg

• I like it 6

8 minutes ago, markandrex said:

We were at a farmer’s market this morning on the far side of town so I stopped in to a store I normally don’t visit.  They had a couple of cases of these.  1/customer.

IMG_1863.jpeg

The one I have is absolutely delicious.  JD is killing it with their ryes.

• I like it 1

On 8/19/2023 at 4:12 PM, Radioyada said:

Will have to keep an eye out for this one.

• I like it 1

Change of pace kind of purchases today. Already got into the wtr pick, its pretty good. 

20230823_165534.jpg

• I like it 2

On 8/19/2023 at 5:12 PM, Radioyada said:

I 3rd that. Those are very, especially for the price.

• I like it 1

Some friends drove up for a wedding today and we were hosting a breakfast.  They spent yesterday in Lynchburg and brought me this.  

image0.jpeg

• I like it 8

On 8/23/2023 at 4:04 PM, Mattk said:

Change of pace kind of purchases today. Already got into the wtr pick, its pretty good. 

20230823_165534.jpg

What’s the deal with old Potrero, any good?

• I like it 1

On 8/19/2023 at 5:03 PM, markandrex said:

IMG_1863.jpeg

9 hours ago, markandrex said:

Some friends drove up for a wedding today and we were hosting a breakfast.  They spent yesterday in Lynchburg and brought me this.  

image0.jpeg

@markandrex getting jacked! 😀

• I like it 1

On 8/26/2023 at 9:50 PM, PhantomLamb said:

What’s the deal with old Potrero, any good?

I haven't had the standard 6yr,I do have a SB CS 8yr/3mo and it is a VERY flavorful rye, quite delicious and different in a very good way, its my first OP and I am looking forward to trying some of the standard issue after the impressive results of this SB. Its an under the radar brand but it shouldn't be IMO.

• I like it 1