Empty Bottle(s) Support Group for 2023:

The 1st of many of this pick has been consumed. Didn’t take very long. 

IMG_0528.jpeg

On 5/26/2023 at 6:37 PM, CUfan99 said:

The 1st of many of this pick has been consumed. Didn’t take very long. 

IMG_0528.jpeg

Never heard of this but A+ for empty bottle presentation.  🤪

Finished off a 1.75 (family size, lol) Wild Turkey 101.  Warming up the palate after a week of fishing Devils Lake, ND (great walleye lakes there)--we fished so much, I didn't even crack an ECBP that I brought along.

Good standard bourbon---I know people value WT101 here, but I still think it suffers from a "bottom shelf" reputation, but one of my favorites.

AB04B8C3-9769-458C-8426-798E2CEE5ED0.jpeg

Edited by Jazz Nut
  • I like it 5

15 hours ago, Jazz Nut said:

Finished off a 1.75 (family size, lol) Wild Turkey 101.  Warming up the palate after a week of fishing Devils Lake, ND (great walleye lakes there)--we fished so much, I didn't even crack an ECBP that I brought along.

Good standard bourbon---I know people value WT101 here, but I still think it suffers from a "bottom shelf" reputation, but one of my favorites.

AB04B8C3-9769-458C-8426-798E2CEE5ED0.jpeg

WT101 punches way above its weight class from the bottom shelf, and I'd pick it over just about any craft bourbon on the market. 

• I like it 2

Finished the Lux Row 12. Glad I got more.  I really liked this bottle. I do find that I like it more when the glass is poured and then sits for about 30 minutes.  Am I the only one?

Well, 3 days of bourbon left, and making the most of it.  Then we are on a cruise from the 3rd (Cape Canaveral) to the 15th (Lisbon). I won't like their selection and won't pay their prices.  Their corkage fees for wine are only $15, so we are taking some along.

Then Portugal to Paris from the 15th to the 4th. Lots of drinking, not sure how much will be bourbon.

It's hard to substitute for the price & quality of the Home Collection.

Empty LR12.jpg

• I like it 6

1 hour ago, Anwalt said:

Finished the Lux Row 12. Glad I got more.  I really liked this bottle. I do find that I like it more when the glass is poured and then sits for about 30 minutes.  Am I the only one?

Well, 3 days of bourbon left, and making the most of it.  Then we are on a cruise from the 3rd (Cape Canaveral) to the 15th (Lisbon). I won't like their selection and won't pay their prices.  Their corkage fees for wine are only $15, so we are taking some along.

Then Portugal to Paris from the 15th to the 4th. Lots of drinking, not sure how much will be bourbon.

Empty LR12.jpg

Good for you!!!

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, jvd99 said:

WT101 punches way above its weight class from the bottom shelf, and I'd pick it over just about any craft bourbon on the market. 

Totally  agree on the 101.Please don't expand on its virtues, never know who is listening!!🤣

• I like it 4

On 5/29/2023 at 9:20 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Never heard of this but A+ for empty bottle presentation.  🤪

It’s from Old Dominick distillery but contract distilled by MGP using OD’s legacy high rye (44%) mash bill. 

On 5/30/2023 at 2:08 PM, jvd99 said:

Totally agree, I always try to have a Wild Turkey product open at all times.  WT101 for QPR can't be beat.  There's a certain cinnamon/baking spices I get from WT products, and none other.  I'll have to get a new bottle of WT101, wondering how the 2023 batches are tasting?

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Wow that's some great traveling you are in store for.  Enjoy!

• I like it 2

I don’t think anyone ever believes me when I say this is one of my favorites.

Oh well.

Time to go get another one.

332DB048-F19F-4AB2-84E7-A78FAD607EB8.jpeg

• I like it 4

I'm not heartbroken that it's gone, but I enjoyed the whiskey and will replace it, if the price is right. It still chafes my cheap nuts that JD is putting this in 700ml bottles.

After the pic, I added a splash of JD Triple Mash, to make it a decent sized drink.😁

20230605_190658.jpg

• I like it 1

On a roll with culling these tonight.

I'm bending the "no alcohol during the week rule, because I took off of work today.😁

20230605_193933.jpg

• I like it 3

Here are the latest bottles to give their all in my household.  A solid group, indeed.  Diverse, too.  Spanning the spectrum of style and price.  But, ALL good ones.  Of these, I would describe the BT, ER10, and EW1783 as regular members of my cabinet gang.  All great values and very versatile whiskeys.  

The FRSBS has also become a regular purchase for me; that Four Roses flavor is really distinctive, and sometimes really scratches the itch.  The Dickel 15 yr. is a bit more eccentric, and I don't reach for it as often as those previously mentioned.  But, I appreciate variety and this one can be "just right" at times.  I will rebuy it.  

The Calumet 10 has been a relatively new discovery for me, and I like it a lot.  I have already gone through a couple bottles each of the 15 yr. and the 16 yr., and they are very fine, in my opinion.  I was looking for a similar style at a lower price, so tried the 10 yr.  Although not at the same level as its more expensive brethren, I do plan on rebuying this one for its relative QPR.

Finally, this was my first bottle of the JM Cigar Blend.  This one took a little getting used to, to be honest.  I was initially unsure how I felt about it, given the relatively high purchase price.  By the time I reached the last quarter of the bottle I had become a fan.  On a bang-for-the-buck basis, I may still prefer the standard JM, which maintains a regular presence in my cabinet.  But, if I can find a good deal on the Cigar Blend, I would certainly like to try a different batch.

Empty Bottles 060723.jpg

• I like it 6

Last night I killed the Knob Creek SiB Barrel store pick that was barrelled on my 58th birthday.  I have one more in the bunker. 

• I like it 5

On 6/5/2023 at 6:16 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

but I enjoyed the whiskey and will replace it, if the price is right. It still chafes my cheap nuts that JD is putting this in 700ml bottles.

Look for the 1 liter size next time.  It's not as annoying as the lame 700ml size.

• I like it 1

21 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Look for the 1 liter size next time.  It's not as annoying as the lame 700ml size.

Yeah...but the pricing for the 1 liter is annoying😆

Just now, Skinsfan1311 said:

Yeah...but the pricing for the 1 liter is annoying😆

I guess it depends on your location?  Here, the 1 liter is a better value.   I haven't broken down and bought one yet, but I won't feel as dirty if I pick up the 1 liter 😁

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, Kepler said:

I guess it depends on your location?  Here, the 1 liter is a better value.   I haven't broken down and bought one yet, but I won't feel as dirty if I pick up the 1 liter 😁

No doubt!

I'll probably end up with one.

Who am I fooling?

I will end up with one!

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

No doubt!

I'll probably end up with one.

Who am I fooling?

I will end up with one!

I'm guilty too ✋

• I like it 1

One down, one to go!

Using up a large cube, leftover from an Old Fashioned in my mission to cull bottles from the herd.

20230609_195100.jpg

• I like it 2

A trio to the bin. BT and JWD good as always. The EC pick at 9yrs was very good. Hopefully there’s more left when I return to the store.

IMG_4731.jpeg

• I like it 2

I finished this one last night. This  seemed to get better over the last couple of months. I'm glad I have a couple20230610_070312.thumb.jpg.52a8a8c0470012dda72feac5771cd2bd.jpg more in the bunker

• I like it 3

This one gave up tonight. Mrs. Clueby came out to get a pour, but alas was too late. :)

20230611_222817.jpg

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

This one gave up tonight. Mrs. Clueby came out to get a pour, but alas was too late. :)

20230611_222817.jpg

You know she went back inside and got something even better.  🤣

• I like it 1