What bottle did you open today? - 2023

Kepler

Not technically opening a bottle but just made another batch of GW4G for the fridge - gotta' get ready for the summer heat!   :D

• I like it 3

5 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Not technically opening a bottle but just made another batch of GW4G for the fridge - gotta' get ready for the summer heat!   :D

THX for the nudge.  I just checked my GW4G and found that it has about an inch in the bottle.  Time to top it off.  I have a bunkered OGD 114 I pulled out and dusted off  last month and forgot about.  I guess that counts as a newly opened which I JUST DID.  Uh, the Weller is the last of the one you gave me, BTW.  So it's going to a good place.  THX again.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, fosmith said:

That 136 proof batch is the only pirate bottle I've tasted.  It was excellent.  I've got a bottle of the 139.4 proof but haven't been able to bring myself to open it yet, lol. 

The 139.4 batch is my 2nd favorite of all time! :)

• I like it 1

44 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

This too shall work. ^_^

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

The 139.4 batch is my 2nd favorite of all time! :)

Weren't 136 and 139.4 back to back batches and the last two before they changed the bottle design with A117?   I just don't remember which one came before the other..

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

Weren't 136 and 139.4 back to back batches and the last two before they changed the bottle design with A117?   I just don't remember which one came before the other..

Yep...139.4 was batch 11. The 136 was batch 12.  They were the last 2 batch of the "old" bottle type before batch A117. 

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, Clueby said:

Yep...139.4 was batch 11. The 136 was batch 12.  They were the last 2 batch of the "old" bottle type before batch A117. 

I've heard them referred to unofficially as B516 and C916. 

On 4/24/2023 at 11:31 AM, fosmith said:

I've heard them referred to unofficially as B516 and C916. 

I've heard them referred to as "bottle I'll never have" and "another bottle I'll never have."

• I like it 2

Double Oaked isn't my thing, as far as bourbon goes, but I'm intrigued by the  this one, and a few of my fellow posters who really like this stuff.

20230427_203402.jpg

• I like it 6

13 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Double Oaked isn't my thing, as far as bourbon goes, but I'm intrigued by the  this one, and a few of my fellow posters who really like this stuff.

20230427_203402.jpg

Too much oak for me.  I wanted to like it, but I don't.

I'll keep it on hand for guests.  As I stated in another thread, it would probably be a great "entry-level" rye, for folks new to bourbon and rye, but it's just not my cup of tea.

• I like it 1

Grabbed this a couple of weeks ago. About to find out if this lives up to my hopes...

BBCWheater.thumb.jpg.cc9d6fcb5c9afd4b1d77659d2d2fa7e0.jpg

• I like it 2

I reached in the bunker and pulled an Evan Williams Single Barrel store select.  Barreled in 2004 and bottled in 2014.  Nice deep flavor for a lower proof bottle.

EFD1E2E2-3739-4323-BED0-775258EC988C.jpeg

FE52F460-E7C4-4107-8D8C-08044A8140A0.jpeg

• I like it 6

While I didn't open it 'today', a bottle I purchased especially for opening and sharing at the previous weekend's gathering of Bourbonians in Bardstown was well received and well-enjoyed, especially by those lovers of wheaters.   It was/is a private pick of Rebel Cask Strength, at 120-proof.   I don't recall ever tasting a sweeter Bourbon!   It will never be confused with a broad or deep award winner; but, it did have a very satisfying nose and a decent color.    Today, I'm going back to my local monger, where it was selected and offered for sale, to grab a couple more.   Incidentally, I have no idea if this one is typical for the brand, it is the only one I've tried.

• I like it 4

38 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

While I didn't open it 'today', a bottle I purchased especially for opening and sharing at the previous weekend's gathering of Bourbonians in Bardstown was well received and well-enjoyed, especially by those lovers of wheaters.   It was/is a private pick of Rebel Cask Strength, at 120-proof.   I don't recall ever tasting a sweeter Bourbon!   It will never be confused with a broad or deep award winner; but, it did have a very satisfying nose and a decent color.    Today, I'm going back to my local monger, where it was selected and offered for sale, to grab a couple more.   Incidentally, I have no idea if this one is typical for the brand, it is the only one I've tried.

I have recently been working my way through my first bottle of Rebel 100 and find that it is definitely on the sweet side.  It has made me wonder what a cask strength might be like.  Wheaters are not my preferred style but if I ever see the cask strength, I may have to grab one.

• I like it 2

Finally opened a bottle that I bought in 2011 or 2012, Noah's Mill. Cork disintegrated when I began to open it, which is happening a lot to me these days. A pretty decent drink, with a bit of mustiness.

Pat

20230502_210356.jpg

• I like it 4

On 3/28/2023 at 4:53 PM, GaryT said:

After a shit start to the week yesterday, opened a Pure Kentucky XO I just recently purchased.  Hadn't had one of these in probably 7 or 8 years, but it was better than I remember it being then (different distillate, but definitely reminded me of that profile).  Just a solid, chewy, straight down the middle bourbon.  After one neat pour, made an Old Fashioned with it and fell in love for the second time :P 

Your post reminded me that I have a bottle of this that I've never opened.  I found this around 2015-16 in my dusty hunting days.  I grabbed it because it has an age statement and was bottled in 2005.  The liquid is very dark and the palate is quite 'chewy,' to borrow your term.  Pretty damn good considering the cost.  And luckily they used a plastic screw cap, so no old cork fuss to deal with.

I also have a 2005 Kentucky Vintage that I picked up at the same time. 

20230507_134221.thumb.jpg.570a3728be3b410a4d2b6728dc8d7dc3.jpg

20230507_133251.thumb.jpg.30ec576efa4cb8e325f226b8b8ffabec.jpg

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 4

Recovering from over a week in Kentucky including meeting with certain familiar rogues.  Recovery aid pictured below.

WTMK.jpg

• I like it 5

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

Your post reminded me that I have a bottle of this that I've never opened.  I found this around 2015-16 in my dusty hunting days.  I grabbed it because it has an age statement and was bottled in 2005.  The liquid is very dark and the palate is quite 'chewy,' to borrow your term.  Pretty damn good considering the cost.  And luckily they used a plastic screw cap, so no old cork fuss to deal with.

I also have a 2005 Kentucky Vintage that I picked up at the same time. 

20230507_134221.thumb.jpg.570a3728be3b410a4d2b6728dc8d7dc3.jpg

20230507_133251.thumb.jpg.30ec576efa4cb8e325f226b8b8ffabec.jpg

Oh man, some of the older Willett NDP stuff was awesome.  WFE, Noah's Mill, Kentucky Vintage, Pure Kentucky, Johnny Drum, Old Bardstown..  I went to a tasting one-time in the Indy area hosted by Drew Kulsveen.  Everything was great and most had been distilled between the late 90s and mid-2000s.  If I only knew then that these would soon disappear off the shelf only to return with a different lineage.  

As good as they were, none were of the vintage that you have.  The color of both provides a subtle hint of the whiskey in the bottle.  Enjoy!

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 3

14 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Recovering from over a week in Kentucky including meeting with certain familiar rogues.  Recovery aid pictured below.

WTMK.jpg

Get well soon :D

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Oh man, some of the older Willett NDP stuff was awesome.  WFE, Noah's Mill, Kentucky Vintage, Pure Kentucky, Johnny Drum, Old Bardstown..  I went to a tasting one-time in the Indy area hosted by Drew Kulsveen.  Everything was great and most had been distilled between the late 90s and mid-2000s.  If I only knew then that these would soon disappear off the shelf only to return with a different lineage.  

As good as they were, none were of the vintage that you have.  The color of both provides a subtle hint of the whiskey in the bottle.  Enjoy!

I remember going on a trip with my cousin and his wife to KY about 10 years ago and being embarrassed that I spent $150-$200+ on a some 20+ year WFE bottles. I snuck off to buy them and hid the loot in the trunk of the car.  Now the purchase looks really smart. Those were the days when you could go on any random day and find some gems like that at the gift shop. Nowadays, I can go to a local LS and pay $900 for a bottle of 8 year Willett bourbon :angry:

Edited by jvd99
  • I like it 2

We opened our first bottle of Calumet 15 this evening. First impression is, I'm not impressed.

I don't understand the fair amount of hype around this bottle. There's certainly nothing offensive about it, the nose is nice the palate is nice, even if a bit boring there doesn't seem to be much going on. It seemed thin to me, and it's the finish that I really don't like. I'm getting a very astringent aftertaste, and a sourness like the Sour Patch candies that my kids love so much.

Anyway I'll let it sit on the bar for a few weeks and revisit it. I definitely feel like I overpaid for this bottle, can't remember exactly what I paid for it but if I remember correctly it was around $120.

On 5/15/2023 at 8:19 PM, Davesnothere said:

We opened our first bottle of Calumet 15 this evening. First impression is, I'm not impressed.

I don't understand the fair amount of hype around this bottle. There's certainly nothing offensive about it, the nose is nice the palate is nice, even if a bit boring there doesn't seem to be much going on. It seemed thin to me, and it's the finish that I really don't like. I'm getting a very astringent aftertaste, and a sourness like the Sour Patch candies that my kids love so much.

Anyway I'll let it sit on the bar for a few weeks and revisit it. I definitely feel like I overpaid for this bottle, can't remember exactly what I paid for it but if I remember correctly it was around $120.

Every one I've had has been exceptional. Don't write it off yet.

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, flahute said:

Every one I've had has been exceptional. Don't write it off yet.

I haven't had the 15, but the 14 year resembles this remark.  So much so that this cheap bastard bought two bottles 😉

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I haven't had the 15, but the 14 year resembles this remark.  So much so that this cheap bastard bought two bottles 😉

I thought both the 14 and 15 I tried were mostly unremarkable but 16's I've tried have all been excellent.

I opened a HMcK10 last night. Was the first one of these I've had in a while since the price jumped up. This one was $65ish. :( It's fine bourbon but was also pretty unremarkable and a bit on the thin side for a 10 year. Not sure I'll be replacing it.

20230516_211934.jpg

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

I thought both the 14 and 15 I tried were mostly unremarkable but 16's I've tried have all been excellent.

I opened a HMcK10 last night. Was the first one of these I've had in a while since the price jumped up. This one was $65ish. :( It's fine bourbon but was also pretty unremarkable and a bit on the thin side for a 10 year. Not sure I'll be replacing it.

20230516_211934.jpg

I quit buying the McKenna 10 year when the price broke the $40.00 barrier. 

• I like it 3