What BEER are you drinking in 2023:

Eureka Brewing Co is everywhere down here. I guess with good reason as this is pretty light and tasty. 

IMG_0290.jpeg

I rediscovered my love for this beer in the last 6 months and it’s hitting all the right notes after a hot afternoon in the driveway washing all the winter gunk off the car. 

IMG_6598.jpeg

26 minutes ago, flahute said:

I rediscovered my love for this beer in the last 6 months and it’s hitting all the right notes after a hot afternoon in the driveway washing all the winter gunk off the car. 

IMG_6598.jpeg

I’m a fan of this one, too.  Agreed, perfect on a hot day.  

• I like it 1

58 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Saint Arnold Guten Tag while grilling up some steaks

Dog approved!

20230523_194059.thumb.jpg.f96956e4b4428cd9410d65920111475a.jpg

What a beautiful dog!  Had a great day at Saint Arnold’s years ago.  Been a fan ever since.  

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

What a beautiful dog!  Had a great day at Saint Arnold’s years ago.  Been a fan ever since.  

Dixie says thanks!

On 5/14/2023 at 5:02 PM, flahute said:

IMG_6598.jpeg

On 5/14/2023 at 5:30 PM, smokinjoe said:

I’m a fan of this one, too.  Agreed, perfect on a hot day.  

I don't believe I've had that one.  Or if I did, I don't recall.  Sounds like it might be right down my alley during the hot summer months (like now already, lol).

I'll have to look out for it.

My "Go To" beer is Red Bridge, from A.B.    Mainly because it's gluten-free (made from sorghum not barley) and it's usually available. 

...Not that I drink much beer.    Red Bridge isn't that swingin'; but, it does kinda remind me of the actual beer I once could drink.

Went with a heavier beer because it’s cold outside in SoCal. I don’t name em or do the artwork but another one from Paperback Brewery. It’s nothing special but a relaxing way to forget how shitty I was on the golf course today. 

IMG_0345.jpeg

I cut the grass.  That’s enough for today.  Now, some cold Pacifico in my cool Buc-ee’s insulated bottle holder.   If you haven’t been to a Buc-ee’s, it’s worth wasting the gas to get there to fill back up and shop for an hour or so, and take a BBQ Beef Brisket Sammich with for the drive home.   🤪

8051390B-0B9A-4C5C-8251-D7C5BE48964E.jpeg

• I like it 2

21 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I cut the grass.  That’s enough for today.  Now, some cold Pacifico in my cool Buc-ee’s insulated bottle holder.   If you haven’t been to a Buc-ee’s, it’s worth wasting the gas to get there to fill back up and shop for an hour or so, and take a BBQ Beef Brisket Sammich with for the drive home.   🤪

8051390B-0B9A-4C5C-8251-D7C5BE48964E.jpeg

Don't forget the beaver nuggets!!

😋

Prost!!  Phil 

Weather in the mid-Atlantic the past few days was beautiful for yard work.  Hence, I spent several hours on Friday and again yesterday pulling LONG thorny vines of Smilax (AKA, horse briar, catbriar, deerthorn, pig-ear, etc.) out of an old 30 foot juniper.  The tree was so thickly covered with Smilax leaves that an hour in on Friday, I discovered a ten foot holly tree growing in the shadows.  Once I got the vines mostly out of the two trees and cut up (two full black leaf bags of six-inch pieces of leafy, THORNY cuttings), I used a hand mattock to chop out the shallower rhizomes (e.g., root bulbs) I could reach.  I did all this sitting on a portable stool so it wasn't bend and stoop work.  I figure it'll take one more Saturday to free the rest of those two trees from the vines I didn't get to.

Why the detail?  To justify my consumption of beer while working.  Friday was two Devils Backbone Vienna Lagers (CHarlottesvill, Virginia, 5.2% ABV) followed by two Franziskaner Hefe Weiss (Munich 5% ABV), and Saturday was two more DBVAs (with their new label) and two Wurzburger Hofbrau pilsners (5% ABV).

Beer is a perfect accompaniment to yard work when no power equipment is involved.  Or standing for that matter.  Especially if it involves repetitive movement of hands and arms.

On 5/28/2023 at 12:37 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Weather in the mid-Atlantic the past few days was beautiful for yard work.  Hence, I spent several hours on Friday and again yesterday pulling LONG thorny vines of Smilax (AKA, horse briar, catbriar, deerthorn, pig-ear, etc.) out of an old 30 foot juniper.  The tree was so thickly covered with Smilax leaves that an hour in on Friday, I discovered a ten foot holly tree growing in the shadows.  Once I got the vines mostly out of the two trees and cut up (two full black leaf bags of six-inch pieces of leafy, THORNY cuttings), I used a hand mattock to chop out the shallower rhizomes (e.g., root bulbs) I could reach.  I did all this sitting on a portable stool so it wasn't bend and stoop work.  I figure it'll take one more Saturday to free the rest of those two trees from the vines I didn't get to.

Why the detail?  To justify my consumption of beer while working.  Friday was two Devils Backbone Vienna Lagers (CHarlottesvill, Virginia, 5.2% ABV) followed by two Franziskaner Hefe Weiss (Munich 5% ABV), and Saturday was two more DBVAs (with their new label) and two Wurzburger Hofbrau pilsners (5% ABV).

Beer is a perfect accompaniment to yard work when no power equipment is involved.  Or standing for that matter.  Especially if it involves repetitive movement of hands and arms.

You don’t need to justify anything to us Harry! Well done I say. 

• I like it 1

Yesterday after some yard work in the sun I tried this for the first time and it’s excellent. 

IMG_6759.jpeg

On 5/29/2023 at 7:14 PM, flahute said:

Yesterday after some yard work in the sun I tried this for the first time and it’s excellent. 

IMG_6759.jpeg

Been on a Pilsner kick lately.  Also, low bitter/citrus hops.  Going to look for this one.  BTW, Pacifica is my standard order at Mexican restaurants, and Asahi over Kirin in Japanese.  Chinese? Tsingtao only - unsweetened tea if they don’t have it.

Can you say, “Curmudgeon!”?😉

2 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Been on a Pilsner kick lately.  Also, low bitter/citrus hops.  Going to look for this one.  BTW, Pacifica is my standard order at Mexican restaurants, and Asahi over Kirin in Japanese.  Chinese? Tsingtao only - unsweetened tea if they don’t have it.

Can you say, “Curmudgeon!”?😉

Well then I'm right there with you being a curmudgeon! I've been on a huge Asahi kick lately which has led to a general pilsner kick.

The one in my photo is a local brewery so not sure how far their reach goes. Definitely grab it if you see it.

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, flahute said:

Well then I'm right there with you being a curmudgeon! I've been on a huge Asahi kick lately which has led to a general pilsner kick.

The one in my photo is a local brewery so not sure how far their reach goes. Definitely grab it if you see it.

Off topic, sort of.  A local Italian restaurant near where I boat and fish regularly did NOT sell either Peroni or Moretti.  I tried over several meals to get them to buy some if just for me.  They also had no idea what a Negroni or an Americano were and did not have Campari behind the bar so I could show them what they were missing.  Did I mention the family is second gen USA with grandparents on both sides from Italy????  It took awhile, but they now have Campari and a couple other Amari back there.  Now, if they’d just get some Peroni.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Off topic, sort of.  A local Italian restaurant near where I boat and fish regularly did NOT sell either Peroni or Moretti.  I tried over several meals to get them to buy some if just for me.  They also had no idea what a Negroni or an Americano were and did not have Campari behind the bar so I could show them what they were missing.  Did I mention the family is second gen USA with grandparents on both sides from Italy????  It took awhile, but they now have Campari and a couple other Amari back there.  Now, if they’d just get some Peroni.

You are doing the Lord's work Harry. Never stop.

Can I get a helles yeah?!? I love Oregon brew. Spent a lot of time at the Hotel Oregon in McMinnville but this isnt a McMenamins.   Great beer in a warm SoCal day. 

IMG_0387.jpeg

June Gloom persists despite this Paperback masterpiece brightening my day. West Coast IPA 7.5%. The Grand Prix Primate. Widespread Panic on the stereo. Life good. 

IMG_0429.jpeg

• I like it 1

We had A Mexican Dinner tonight. I paired dinner with Modelo Negra. Works every time. 
Happy Friday. 

Cheers

• I like it 2

An Asahi Dry hitting the spot after a hike on a nice sunny day.

4 hours ago, flahute said:

An Asahi Dry hitting the spot after a hike on a nice sunny day.

Was it back in the late 1980s - early '90s, some U.S. companies tried to imitate the Japanese "dry" style.  Michelob Dry was one.