What bourbon did you pass on 2023

Kepler

On 8/5/2023 at 2:32 AM, 0895 said:

I wouldn’t say screwed.

I did the math and initially frowned on it….. until I learned it was batched.  The 4R nerd in me has been wanting this for years, because it effectively eliminates a lot of the single barrel variables and provides a true average of what each recipe should taste like.

Realistically, how many of us are going to open multiple store picks and blend them together to do this ourselves?

So like you mentioned,

targeted towards the fanboys.

The high price makes it reasonably obtainable, likely not hoarded, and provides the experience you can’t get anywhere else.

Packaging adds an element of cost too.

And who knows.  If it sits too long, places will start sale pricing to move it out. 😁

The batched and matched proof is intriguing to a point. It may present 4R recipe X in the most representative way as the distillery views them, but the SBPS bottles of these you can buy will still be CS and singlebarrels and as such they are unrelated to their 10 pack counterparts in all but recipe name. I personally favor the F recipes and have had several, some better than others but all different from the other Fs and reflective of their single barrel origin. This sample pack works IMO as stand alone only. Its a "fun" way taste through a version of the 10 without shelling out or hunting for 10/750s. At the same time its no more or less a guide than the single bottlings of each recipe for the reasons stated above. Single barrel variation is what you get outside of this pack, which I am fine with. I stayed away from Q for years after the first one I had was one of the worst pours I have ever tasted, this past April that opinion did a 180 as I had a Q that was just spectacular.

If I see it I am passing on it too!! I'd prefer one really good bottle to these 10 minis, but then again I've had em all and already done this exercise.

Edited by kcgumbohead
  • I like it 1

4 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

The batched and matched proof is intriguing to a point. It may present 4R recipe X in the most representative way as the distillery views them, but the SBPS bottles of these you can buy will still be CS and singlebarrels and as such they are unrelated to their 10 pack counterparts in all but recipe name. I personally favor the F recipes and have had several, some better than others but all different from the other Fs and reflective of their single barrel origin. This sample pack works IMO as stand alone only. Its a "fun" way taste through a version of the 10 without shelling out or hunting for 10/750s. At the same time its no more or less a guide than the single bottlings of each recipe for the reasons stated above. Single barrel variation is what you get outside of this pack, which I am fine with. I stayed away from Q for years after the first one I had was one of the worst pours I have ever tasted, this past April that opinion did a 180 as I had a Q that was just spectacular.

If I see it I am passing on it too!! I'd prefer one really good bottle to these 10 minis, but then again I've had em all and already done this exercise.

I absolutely agree, here and the single barrels that I have had, have been way different even with the same recipe. Also living in a bourbon wasteland will make the chase for all recipes moot.

I even agree that a single bottle (preferably a store pick) far out weighs the potential of this kit.

I do however see the merit in this as a fun adventure with friends. The limited ounces would still be enough for my inexperience bourbon family to enjoy tasting, not to mention that there is always some type of opened 4R here to throw in and see if they can tell the difference.

Edited by bayouredd
  • I like it 1

I was offered Bowman Small Batch and passed.  A store got four bottles.  I happened to be there when deliveries just arrived.  I still had a nice chat with the manager.  Truth is, me personally, I'd rather drink WT than any of the BT/Sazerac brands I'm likely to find. 😉

At another place, I passed the new Old Overholt 4 year old 86 proof NCF.  Interesting, but not enough to buy.  Too bad it wasn't the bonded.

Also noted OGD B.I.B. @ $21 and change - may return for that.

• I like it 3

We had to go out and take care of a couple of things today. One stop took us to Ace Hardware for something we couldn’t get elsewhere. Next door was one of the better burger places here in Rockford. Great whiskey selection at the bar too. We didn’t hesitate to have lunch there. Great lunch as expected. Unexpected was they also now sell liquor in bottles. Not quite tater, like the liquor store next door, but a bit pricey. I passed on everything.

https://bakerstreetburgers.com

IMG_2448.thumb.jpeg.0ada91a585751d9b688ea2a20ee69eb1.jpeg

• I like it 3

One to a customer so I passed on the rest. I need a bigger family to bring to the store.  6 cigar blends sitting on the cart.IMG_0508.thumb.jpeg.cab774ca317d3e49d3ac6f3ddc06ba0a.jpeg

• I like it 4

16 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

6 cigar blends sitting on the cart

I've noticed that are selling more slowly, at least in Ohio. I have enough (a dozen or so) to keep me happy for quite some time, so I've not been getting more. Friends keep texting "a sighting" and I've been turning them down due to having enough, or perhaps more than enough. I wonder how the various batches compare. I tend to keep one open, vs. several. I should perhaps change that & try several at once.

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, Anwalt said:

I've noticed that are selling more slowly, at least in Ohio. I have enough (a dozen or so) to keep me happy for quite some time, so I've not been getting more. Friends keep texting "a sighting" and I've been turning them down due to having enough, or perhaps more than enough. I wonder how the various batches compare. I tend to keep one open, vs. several. I should perhaps change that & try several at once.

I believe these are Nancy’s tasting notes in the links (below the awards).

https://josephmagnus.com/spirits/cigar-blend-bourbon/

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Jazz June said:

Managed to resist the call of a Camp Nelson A Kentucky Spirit pick. 

You are a better man than I.  I am a sucker for any WT CN picks.

• I like it 1

Passed on Bakers 13 for $129.99. Probably worth it but I just wasn't feeling it today.  Opted for 3 KC 9 for $19.96 each.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 7

On 8/23/2023 at 6:45 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Passed on Bakers 13 for $129.99. Probably worth it but I just wasn't feeling it today.  Opted for 3 KC 9 for $19.96 each.

go back and get that

• I like it 4

On 8/23/2023 at 7:45 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Passed on Bakers 13 for $129.99. Probably worth it but I just wasn't feeling it today. 

We seriously need to set up a group text called "Stuff Cheap Bastard Is About To Pass On". We could give him a bottle of something to make him happy with every hit - Lord knows it'd be a low cost favor for the courtesy of the pickup given how inexpensive it is to make him happy!

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, 0895 said:

go back and get that

1 hour ago, Anwalt said:

We seriously need to set up a group text called "Stuff Cheap Bastard Is About To Pass On". We could give him a bottle of something to make him happy with every hit - Lord knows it'd be a low cost favor for the courtesy of the pickup given how inexpensive it is to make him happy!

😀 It was probably gone within an hour. It was at a highly trafficked store.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

😀 It was probably gone within an hour. It was at a highly trafficked store.

If they ever come up with nanotech that allows me to put a soluble tracking device in liquid...you'd be wise to refuse any bourbon I offer you. 

Sort of like Tater Roofies...

😉

• I like it 1

Same store.  Different pass. Rebel 10 @  $94.99. I guess it should have been a buy since most stores hold it back for lotteries. 

I stopped at another store that had several bottles of ECBP, Blanton's, ER, etc. on a shelf behind the counter with a sign that said "Display Only, Not For Sale."  The employees were nice enough but watched me like a hawk.

Passed on BT and Baby Saz at just about every store I have been in recently. 

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Same store.  Different pass. Rebel 10 @  $94.99. I guess it should have been a buy since most stores hold it back for lotteries. 

I stopped at another store that had several bottles of ECBP, Blanton's, ER, etc. on a shelf behind the counter with a sign that said "Display Only, Not For Sale."  The employees were nice enough but watched me like a hawk.

Passed on BT and Baby Saz at just about every store I have been in recently. 

I'd have passed on the R10 as well. I've been suckered into buyingnit a couple times and it was decidedly NOT worth it.

I also don't understand those stores with "display only". Is it a store or a museum??

• I like it 4

14 hours ago, Clueby said:

I'd have passed on the R10 as well

I liked it when I first tried it. I don't dislike it now. But I prefer some of the better batches (the ones that do not have the astringent finish I associate with many wheated bourbons) of Larceny BP...better flavor & mouthfeel, lower price. The Dry Fly 9y has been pleasing as well. Speaking of which - any experiences, good or not-so-good, with other Dry Fly products?

A pass of sorts, I passed on even entering the 4R lotteries this year. SmbLE has now hit 199? No thanks, I am happy to improve the odds for whom that price is acceptable. Best of luck to them.

• I like it 4

6 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

A pass of sorts, I passed on even entering the 4R lotteries this year. SmbLE has now hit 199? No thanks, I am happy to improve the odds for whom that price is acceptable. Best of luck to them.

I passed on this also. I did, however, sign up for the OF Birthday Bourbon lottery again this year. 30 bucks less, and I am likely to be passing thru the area in November so I can pick it up. Are you listening, Louisville?

13 minutes ago, Thomm said:

I passed on this also. I did, however, sign up for the OF Birthday Bourbon lottery again this year. 30 bucks less, and I am likely to be passing thru the area in November so I can pick it up. Are you listening, Louisville?

I did the same.

Fingers crossed that we hit.

Ive been looking for an excuse to go back😎

• I like it 2

A week ago a local store had 6 bottles of OWA at $109.99 + tax, I passed.  Today they had none.

• I like it 3

1L OF100 for.............$85.00😱😱😱

The duty free store at Charlotte airport is not the place to buy whiskey.

I'm glad that I packed a bottle of MM 😁

• I like it 1

I was so happy at finding an ET BIB the other day, I forgot to post this one I passed on when I stopped at Binny’s later on. 😏

IMG_2528.thumb.jpeg.35b9b9c7527c534c7e6cee33ec50e6b0.jpeg