What bourbon did you purchase summer of '23?

Phil T

Went to Ace this morning for weekend project supplies, swung by my go to  LS next door and the manager scrounged some of the good stuff from the storage room

IMG_5775.jpeg

Edited by jvd99
  • I like it 12

8 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Went to Ace this morning for weekend project supplies, swung by my go to  LS next door and the manager scrounged some of the good stuff from the storage room

IMG_5775.jpeg

@Grady330 and @jvd99 carrying the weight this weekend. Of course,  we haven't heard from @Davesnothere yet.

What FRSiB BS recipe?

• I like it 1

On 7/8/2023 at 7:03 PM, mbroo5880i said:

@Grady330 and @jvd99 carrying the weight this weekend. Of course,  we haven't heard from @Davesnothere yet.

What FRSiB BS recipe?

Nothing this week. We didn't have an excuse to come down off the mountain this weekend. 

And besides, I feel I need to post a few more in the empty bottle thread to make room on our open bottle shelf.😎

• I like it 2

Had to wait for prescriptions at Walter Reed today.  Decided to kill the time with a stroll through the Navy Exchange.  They had WT101 at $19.95.  Picked up two.  Made the wait a whole lot easier.

• I like it 3

I had to go into the office today, so while I was out I stopped by the state store and found a few surprises on the shelf.

20230711_173638.thumb.jpg.1632b94041df98647abb83e3635ee7e0.jpgn,

• I like it 2

This arrived today.  I got lucky on the website release a few weeks ago.

IMG_0958.jpeg

• I like it 9

What FRSiB BS recipe?

Not to interject, but since he hasn’t answered yet, 

based on the warehouse info,

it’s likely OESV

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, markandrex said:

IMG_0958.jpeg

Lucky indeed! I was about to use a bad word there!

4 hours ago, markandrex said:

IMG_0958.jpeg

It's an absolute wonderful pour. 

• I like it 1

52 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

It's an absolute wonderful pour. 

I would have agree.  This is my second bottle from this year. I have had two pours out of my first.   I would say it is just slightly behind the initial offering but not by much.  All 4 have been exceptional.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, markandrex said:

IMG_0958.jpeg

Impossible to find around Chicago - lucky indeed

4 hours ago, 0895 said:

Not to interject, but since he hasn’t answered yet, 

based on the warehouse info,

it’s likely OESV

What FRSiB BS recipe?

Sorry - I missed this question but I think @0895 may be right, I'll double check in the AM

Edited by jvd99

Been culling, instead of buying these past few months, but had to pick this up because the decanter is getting low. 😉

20230715_132514.jpg

• I like it 9

A new independent store opened close to me. That in and of itself is great. They have a stellar selection of bourbon, scotch, beer and other liquor. 

I just happened to notice they had FRSiB priced the same as FRSmB at $34.99. I asked the clerk to check the price. She said it was correct.  There were only two.  I told her  I would take one.  I wanted to leave one for someone else. This is the cheapest non sale price I have seen in 10 years.  

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 9

7 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Been culling, instead of buying these past few months, but had to pick this up because the decanter is getting low. 😉

20230715_132514.jpg

A favorite.  I can regularly find it and try to keep a bottle on hand. Funny thing is that one store in my area has it on sale regularly for $20.99. That store gets wiped out. If I didn't know better, I would think that @squire is coming up from Mississippi and buying them out.

• I like it 1

I was out and about today and my travels took me to within 15 miles of Lynchburg. 

So I swung by (swang by?, swinged by?, swanged by?) the Jack Daniels gift shop and picked up this one, 134.3 pf. They had a few 🤫20230715_171805.thumb.jpg.66d04554786c71b204265e5a80722fbd.jpg20230715_141436.thumb.jpg.f185f6c1f699fa8dd4d6c3fc00b4a769.jpg

• I like it 6

A little horse trading with @Anwalt and a trip to South Carolina to see the inlaws, and I am no longer a 55 year-old Blanton's virgin.  Thanks, John.

Also, I've seen the debate about the difference between black plastic top and blue (green?) metal screw top ET BIB, but I found this one to be just fine. I can't find the stuff anywhere near me, so there's not much chance I would be able to get a bottle of the old style to sbs them anyway. I do have to mention the bottle is about as poorly constructed as any I've ever encountered.  Big, thick, pronounced seam running around the length.  I'm guessing if I ever need to find this bottle in the dark, it should be no problem at all. 

IMG_20230715_155937.jpg

• I like it 4

On 7/15/2023 at 8:50 PM, Thomm said:

Also, I've seen the debate about the difference between black plastic top and blue (green?) metal screw top ET BIB, but I found this one to be just fine. 

It's not that there's anything wrong with the new batches, they just aren't what the old original/earlier ones were.  There is something missing now.

It's not only ET BiB though.  I've noticed several of Brown-Forman's products are not as good as they were 3-4 years ago.  

Likely just the evolution of change beyond the manufacturers direct control.

On 7/15/2023 at 9:50 PM, Thomm said:

A little horse trading with @Anwalt and a trip to South Carolina to see the inlaws, and I am no longer a 55 year-old Blanton's virgin.  Thanks, John.

Also, I've seen the debate about the difference between black plastic top and blue (green?) metal screw top ET BIB, but I found this one to be just fine. I can't find the stuff anywhere near me, so there's not much chance I would be able to get a bottle of the old style to sbs them anyway. I do have to mention the bottle is about as poorly constructed as any I've ever encountered.  Big, thick, pronounced seam running around the length.  I'm guessing if I ever need to find this bottle in the dark, it should be no problem at all. 

IMG_20230715_155937.jpg

Was down & out the last few days, after effects of a stomach bug and offsite again for a bit.

I'll post pics once I pick up stash left for me at Sis's place..RR10 at $20 each!  That was a real find. I certainly appreciate it. I'm convinced it tastes better at that price!

Glad you are enjoying. I think I prefer the EHT SmB more than the regular Blantons....but that could just be me. Let me know your thoughts.

• I like it 2

We had to make a mid-week run to Nashville yesterday. We finished our business early and spent the rest of day dodging rain drops while hitting some of our favorite bourbon haunts.

Of course it figures the two we didn't hit both had ER store picks drop yesterday. Oh well.

We managed to pick up a few consolation prizes.

20230719_161502.jpg

• I like it 3

Scooped up a MM46 Frenchie and an 8yr-10m Baker's SiB.

Heard good & bad of the Bakers SiB but hoping the extra age past 7yr does it justice...

UPS delivery today.  The Legent and Distillers Share are from this quarter’s Barrel & Boxed.  The 117 Series is from a website drop earlier this week.

IMG_0966.jpeg

• I like it 5

Needed to re-up on a family sized EW 1783 (the kid was getting skinny…).  And, the locals pick of 1792 BIB delivered.  So, as that the BIB is my favorite of the line, I grabbed one of them, too.  

• I like it 3