What bourbon did you purchase summer of '23?

Phil T

Today was an expensive day to say the least. The state of NH did 7 "surprise" allocation drops at stores across the state today. They announced what location on social media and what was being released. It was only BT products. Regular BT, Eagle Rare, CEHT Small Batch, Saz Rye, Blanton's and Stagg. Various quantities of each depending on the store so I'm told. This is what was left when I walked in 20 minutes after the announcement for the store closest to me. As I was walking in, folks were walking out with full cases of Stagg, Blanton's in their carts. I just missed the Stagg so I'm told, but here is what I did get:

6 Bottles of Blanton's- 3 for a fellow SBer, 2 for me, and 1 for a coworker

2 Bottles of Eagle Rare

1 Case of BT- some being shared with my boss

I didn't feel bad getting a case of BT because there was still half a pallet for everyone else when I was walking out, so plenty left for others to enjoy. Needless to say the credit card bill will not be pretty when it arrives. Thankfully the wife is out of town for work so I didn't have to sneak it into the basement. 

71330191278__B9BF8C28-4E39-4E9D-8791-65DC42072AE3.JPG

• I like it 8

On 8/6/2023 at 6:07 PM, Clueby said:

The weekend's latest acquisitions. The OFBP was released Saturday morning. The dog and I waited in line for about an hour. We didn't have anything better to do anyway. They only had 72 bottles at the store I was at. We were around #40. About 20 to 30 people that stood and waited didn't get one. Amazing how many wives and girlfriends got out of cars at 9:59.  The dog, although 21+ in dog years, didn't get one.

20230806_165429.jpg

20230805_091347.jpg

I didn't realize that the OFBP it was so desirable, or hard to get.   

I guess I'll have to revisit the bottle that I bought last year.  I tried it, twice, and the bottle that I have, (also a pick), and it drinks pretty hot, even with ice or water to tame it.     I'll have to revisit this one.

If you don't mind my asking, how much did they charge for it?

Cute dog!

I was out running around this morning and decided to add 2 LS to my stops.  Also, owed my regular LS some doughnuts.

The regular had another shipment of RR13 and one 375 of WR wheated BiB.  LB had one bottle of Starlight CB.  I was intrigued and have enjoyed several other of their speciality offerings.

IMG_0991.jpeg

• I like it 8

13 minutes ago, markandrex said:

I was out running around this morning and decided to add 2 LS to my stops.  Also, owed my regular LS some doughnuts.

The regular had another shipment of RR13 and one 375 of WR wheated BiB.  LB had one bottle of Starlight CB.  I was intrigued and have enjoyed several other of their speciality offerings.

You’re starting to sound a little like me @markandrex.  I was out running around……. 😁

IMG_2306.jpeg.0e96d87667791e9eeabd6a12bc3709c8.jpeg

• I like it 1

Just got back from doing some picks in Kentucky and Indiana. Also had some time to go by some other distilleries. Managed to get the following, as well as two of the Four Roses Ten Recipe Tasting Experiences to use as gifts.

IMG_4031.jpg

• I like it 7

On 8/4/2023 at 7:44 AM, Davesnothere said:

We drove up to Michigan yesterday and since Jim Beam and Four Rose's (bottling) are right off the interstate we stopped by the gift shops.

We picked up a couple of SBBF (OESF 10yr 11 mo) from Four Rose's and a couple from Jim Beam.

20230804_082102.thumb.jpg.f085e45af69ffd280cb9f6eda06f9b16.jpg

You can’t go wrong with 4R SBBS and I thought the Lineage was/is amazing.  Enjoy!

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 2

My regular LS manager called me and said he forgot one yesterday.  He knows me too well.  17 year Beam!

IMG_0997.jpeg

• I like it 8

Enjoyed the Single Barrel that I just finished so much, decided to go out and get the Small Batch as a fridge bottle. Has maybe been a year or two since I’ve had it. Will open tonight.

image.jpg

• I like it 5

On 8/10/2023 at 12:38 PM, markandrex said:

IMG_0991.jpeg

9 hours ago, markandrex said:

My regular LS manager called me and said he forgot one yesterday.  He knows me too well.  17 year Beam!

IMG_0997.jpeg

Just come clean an admit that you own a liquor store.  Right? 😛

• I like it 6

Bombergers, OF 1920. My LS guy told me that's it for the Bombergers for 2023. He got two and I got two. Have been drinking one and will bunker one for the winter!!

• I like it 3

On 8/11/2023 at 12:37 PM, markandrex said:

IMG_0997.jpeg

Oh, the conflict.  I know I would open it eventually.  But, just looking at the bottle is pretty cool.  I am sure you will find a special occasion!

• I like it 3

I grabbed an EHTSmB, but the catch was they were bundling it with anther bottle you had to buy with it, in this case Wheel Horse SmB.  Had never even heard of it, but I pulled the trigger anyway.  After googling, it appears it's one of the Owensboro brands distilled at Oz, and I tried it last night - ya know what, not too bad for a young, inexpensive bourbon, definitely drinks older than its age and comes in a healthy ~100 proof.

• I like it 5

11 hours ago, dcbt said:

I grabbed an EHTSmB, but the catch was they were bundling it with anther bottle you had to buy with it, in this case Wheel Horse SmB.  Had never even heard of it, but I pulled the trigger anyway.  After googling, it appears it's one of the Owensboro brands distilled at Oz, and I tried it last night - ya know what, not too bad for a young, inexpensive bourbon, definitely drinks older than its age and comes in a healthy ~100 proof.

What an odd pairing!  I can see tying EHT with Wheatly Vodka or a store pick they want to move. Maybe the distributor gave them a deal on Wheel Horse to promote it. I see it on the shelves around Indy.

Depending on the bundle price, I would have probably pulled the trigger too.

• I like it 1

Some friends in Chicago are able to pick up orders made on unicorn auctions, and others periodically drive to Ohio. Saves shipping costs. My read: Most of what sells on that site goes at a bit above secondary, but it's "easy". Basically trading money for time/hassle.

Auction results: I let a lot go that was at reasonable prices, especially BBC Disc 5 to 8 at < $100 each. But got plenty and did not want to spend more. Including all costs:

BBC Disc 7 $88
BBC Disc 8 $88
Private ECBP 10y 125 proof $63
ECBP C921 $68
ECBP A122 $68
ECBP B522 $68

ECBP C922 $68 x 2

ECBP A123 $68
ECBP B523 $63

Interestingly, the B520's went for circa $200.  Were they that good?

I'm pretty pleased given the current price environment. Got my ECBP Jones totally satiated!

• I like it 7

32 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

Some friends in Chicago are able to pick up orders made on unicorn auctions, and others periodically drive to Ohio. Saves shipping costs. My read: Most of what sells on that site goes at a bit above secondary, but it's "easy". Basically trading money for time/hassle.

Auction results: I let a lot go that was at reasonable prices, especially BBC Disc 5 to 8 at < $100 each. But got plenty and did not want to spend more. Including all costs:

BBC Disc 7 $88
BBC Disc 8 $88
Private ECBP 10y 125 proof $63
ECBP C921 $68
ECBP A122 $68
ECBP B522 $68

ECBP C922 $68 x 2

ECBP A123 $68
ECBP B523 $63

Interestingly, the B520's went for circa $200.  Were they that good?

I'm pretty pleased given the current price environment. Got my ECBP Jones totally satiated!

The prices on all those bottles were quite good!

• I like it 2

We were out and about yesterday and stopped by Jack Daniel's and picked up a couple of the anjeo finished Distillery Series bottles. We also found another EC C922, which is currently my favorite pour, and coming up a close second is any Bakers 7 that's over 8 years.

20230813_143834.thumb.jpg.2ca0430e9d404c347e1fc77d7a7c8659.jpg

• I like it 4

I fished in a different pond than @Anwalttoday. I am happy with grabbing a few more KC9 @ $19.99 and another Alberta Rye CS @ $29.99.

• I like it 4

10 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

The prices on all those bottles were quite good!

File under "Stuff I never thought I'd hear". And framed & mounted! 😉

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I fished in a different pond than @Anwalttoday. I am happy with grabbing a few more KC9 @ $19.99 and another Alberta Rye CS @ $29.99.

Those Alberta Ryes are excellent. And the price!

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, Davesnothere said:

anjeo finished Distillery Series

I'm curious. I saw a lot of those bottles at < $50 on that auction yestrerday. And a lot of varieties. I have no idea about them at all, so I didn't touch them. They were going for $50 to $55 in many cases. Is that high, low, or just so? Do any of the evidently many "title flavors" stand out for better or for worse?

I'm with you on ECBP in general and C922 in particular. 

• I like it 1

On 8/10/2023 at 3:03 PM, Jazz June said:

Just got back from doing some picks in Kentucky and Indiana. Also had some time to go by some other distilleries. Managed to get the following, as well as two of the Four Roses Ten Recipe Tasting Experiences to use as gifts.

IMG_4031.jpg

was the presidents choice at the distillery on Main?  How do I always miss them???   Good for you

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, geclbxf said:

was the presidents choice at the distillery on Main?  How do I always miss them???   Good for you

It was, but I don’t know if they were sold to the general public or tours. We had just done a pick there. That day’s premium flight in the bar was OF BB 2022, P-C #29, and P-C #30. I have tasted 6 of the last 8 P-C barrels and Old Forester is putting some special bourbon in these releases. Their releases seem to be going up and up in quality. I am very excited for their future.

• I like it 2

On 8/14/2023 at 7:10 AM, Anwalt said:

I'm curious. I saw a lot of those bottles at < $50 on that auction yestrerday. And a lot of varieties. I have no idea about them at all, so I didn't touch them. They were going for $50 to $55 in many cases. Is that high, low, or just so? Do any of the evidently many "title flavors" stand out for better or for worse?

I'm with you on ECBP in general and C922 in particular. 

This is actually the first batch we've purchased,  so I can't speak to the other flavors. I've seen the other batches around Tennessee,  but 50 bucks just always  seemed a bit high for a 375.

These were an impulse buy as we were talking about making margaritas when we got home.  Then these tequila finished bottles slapped us in the face.👋

They were $49 including tax at the distillery, so the auction prices were right at MSRP. 

Edited by Davesnothere
spelling
  • I like it 1

Haven't bought hardly any bourbon lately, but I was on vacation in Florida last week and picked up a bottle each of the Benchmark bonded and single barrel to try out. I have been wanting to try the expanded Benchmark lineup but they are not available in my area currently.

• I like it 1