What bourbon did you purchase summer of '23?

Phil T

This morning, I picked up a Larceny Barrel Proof batch B523.  I'm enjoying it now while I make supper.  Pretty dang good stuff.  

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, Mule Skinner said:

This morning, I picked up a Larceny Barrel Proof batch B523.  I'm enjoying it now while I make supper.  Pretty dang good stuff.  

Same here, I dropped into a large liquor store on a whim and if I hadn't checked the sealed boxes I would have missed it.  They had a couple of unopened boxes of Larceny and ECBP B523.  Snagged one of each.

• I like it 2

I did the Labor Day shopping today and swung into my regular LS as he was checking in his shipment.  He said “I got one for you”, and pulled out an OF10.  As we stood there chatting he continued to unpack and came upon its’ brother, OF19.  When he checked the sheets, it said six 10s.  So, he gave me the OF19 for the msrp of the 10.

More doughnuts are in order.

IMG_1015.jpeg

• I like it 18

50 minutes ago, markandrex said:

I did the Labor Day shopping today and swung into my regular LS as he was checking in his shipment.  He said “I got one for you”, and pulled out an OF10.  As we stood there chatting he continued to unpack and came upon its’ brother, OF19.  When he checked the sheets, it said six 10s.  So, he gave me the OF19 for the msrp of the 10.

IMG_1015.jpeg

The dressing on this line of Old Fitz bottles is really top notch.  

• I like it 2

Definitely one of the most ornate bottles out there.  Not certain if they are going to continue the line.  I keep hearing the 10 year (Spring 2023) offering may be the last.  A sales rep was saying that the excess bottle supply drove this offering but outside of HH mgt., it’s anyone’s guess.  
I’ve had the 19 at a local bar, it is exceptional.  

The Spring bottles have a green background.  Fall is black.  They have also released (I believe) two distillery only red background since 2018.  Those carry a VVS and year designation.

image0.jpeg

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 3

2 hours ago, markandrex said:

IMG_1015.jpeg

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

The dressing on this line of Old Fitz bottles is really top notch.  

Absolutely spectacular looking bottles. 

Those must be some fantastic doughnuts!

4 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Absolutely spectacular looking bottles. 

Those must be some fantastic doughnuts!

Krispy Kreme and I will likely swing by tomorrow with a dozen mixed and a dozen glazed.

• I like it 2

Maker's.

WT101 is usually our "traveling"  whiskey, but Mrs. Skinsfan requested MM.    The place that we're staying has liquor in the room, but it's nothing that we care for.

Who am I to argue?

• I like it 5

Not exactly a purchase since I traded for it, but either way I'm happy to finally add this bucket-list bottle to my collection.

IMG_2951.thumb.jpeg.844c54fbbe6eac608a1e5107a3890724.jpeg

• I like it 10

45 minutes ago, Double C's said:

A pick up from last night and a BEP from this morning at a local chains new location opening.

20230901_113222.jpg

That MM BEP is excellent, having a pour right now!!

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Double C's said:

A pick up from last night and a BEP from this morning at a local chains new location opening.

20230901_113222.jpg

please tell me you weren’t one of the overnight campers…

I did a trade this morning for a JD 10 with a guy in Lynchburg. While I was there I stopped by the JD bottle shop and picked a couple of last years Distiller's release. They said they found a couple of boxes in the "backroom".

Looking forward to the 120 pf pecan finish.

20230902_133031.thumb.jpg.a2466cfca8bb8fe9827ec8130a84091a.jpg20230902_133110.thumb.jpg.98dab7c1af8c332ad1dea633db682795.jpg

• I like it 4

Got some first-timers to try thanks to all the recommendations from you fine folks on the forum.  C922 ECBP is new to me, as is Larceny B522 and AAA.  I have to admit, the one that surprised me most was Ancient Ancient Age. I have seen Ancient Age (even in Wisconsin), but never the Triple A version until now. At 30 bucks a handle, I hope this becomes a rebuy. I need a competitor for WT 101 in the Plastic Jug category.

IMG_20230902_141403.jpg

• I like it 7

On 9/2/2023 at 4:00 PM, Thomm said:

Got some first-timers to try thanks to all the recommendations from you fine folks on the forum.  C922 ECBP is new to me, as is Larceny B522 and AAA.  I have to admit, the one that surprised me most was Ancient Ancient Age. I have seen Ancient Age (even in Wisconsin), but never the Triple A version until now. At 30 bucks a handle, I hope this becomes a rebuy. I need a competitor for WT 101 in the Plastic Jug category.

IMG_20230902_141403.jpg

I also grabbed a handle of AAA yesterday.

Ugh. Won't compete with the Turkey.

• I like it 1

On 9/1/2023 at 5:19 PM, 0895 said:

please tell me you weren’t one of the overnight campers…

Nope, but I did drive by that store at 10pm on Thursday night and saw about a dozen people lined up already. I showed up about 40min before they opened, got a line ticket and stood around. Were you there?

On 9/4/2023 at 5:59 PM, jbowl said:

I also grabbed a handle of AAA yesterday.

Ugh. Won't compete with the Turkey.

Yeah it's serviceable, but more on the level of Very Old Barton, which I like more.  Others have said it makes a good freezer whiskey, but my freezer is rather crowded at the moment with gin and clear ice and peaches.  Wifey is gonna start throwing my shit out of there pretty soon if I don't watch my step.

10 hours ago, Double C's said:

Nope, but I did drive by that store at 10pm on Thursday night and saw about a dozen people lined up already. I showed up about 40min before they opened, got a line ticket and stood around. Were you there?

No, I had to work.

I had heard some people had camped for over 24 hours and still can’t believe it.

Out and about today. Y’all know the drill. A Meijer was nearby and we needed a few things. I look at the liquor at Meijer stores, but don’t usually buy anything because of the prices. See the first pic.  🙄  The first odd thing is that the MM 101 was on sale for $1.00 cheaper than the best price I’ve seen in a while. Yes I bought one, and yes it was dipped by my gal.  😁  I didn’t even open the box to look. I kinda wish I would have. The second odd thing is we went through the checkout and were  headed out the door when the alarm went off. Of course we stopped and waited for a lady to come up to us. She smiled and asked if we bought any clothes.  We said no. About then my wife looked at me and I could tell exactly what she was thinking. I told the lady we bought a bottle of bourbon. She said that was probably it. I grabbed the MM 101 box and she opened it up. Sure enough, there was an anti theft ring on the neck of the bottle. She removed the ring and we went on our merry way. Kinda weird, but oh well. 🤷🏼

image.thumb.jpeg.ceadd802012f95204ce7fa94030d35d2.jpeg
IMG_2560.thumb.jpeg.aa966c8572581d03b1519d23aeedf6b5.jpeg

IMG_2562.thumb.jpeg.c8484f3cd1f2b21130c261dc2038db9d.jpeg

• I like it 8

I went to the liquor store to drop off the doughnuts for the Old Fitzgerald bib. The manager goes under the counter and pulls these out.  Now I’ve got to get more doughnuts and go back.  I hate it when that happens. 😡. This may be some type of symbiotic relationship we’ve developed.  

IMG_1036.jpeg

• I like it 5

52 minutes ago, markandrex said:

I went to the liquor store to drop off the doughnuts for the Old Fitzgerald bib. The manager goes under the counter and pulls these out.  Now I’ve got to get more doughnuts and go back.  I hate it when that happens. 😡. This may be some type of symbiotic relationship we’ve developed.  

Either that, or else he is really addicted to donuts and his wife won't let him buy any himself.  You're his drug pusher!  😆

• I like it 3

Got a trio today. The Stagg an A22, the ER a happen upon & the Old Man Winter a shot in the dark; hoping I didn't waste a buck and a half...

trio.thumb.jpg.fe4ce4736c1443d88d53554a216a2b61.jpg

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, markandrex said:

FYI, homemade cookies work pretty well too. Whenever my wife makes cookies, I always ask her to make extra. Mailman, liquor store and Subway “were” the usual beneficiaries. Operative word, “were”. A nearby neighbor used to own the Subway a few blocks from our house. He’s an absolutely great guy. He sold it a few months ago, and It just ain’t been the same since. No more cookies for Subway. 🍪😏🍪