What bourbon did you purchase summer of '23?

Phil T

I hit the LS for a freezer bottle and some Summer beer, but couldn't pass up the KC12 at $62.99.

It used to be easy to find at $65.99 around here, (Baltimore metro area), but I rarely see it for less than $69.99 anymore. 

20230818_110220.jpg

• I like it 6

On 8/4/2023 at 6:44 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

IIRC, I read somewhere here that someone purchased Rebel 100, and they loved it. Long story short, ahh screw it. I’m just gonna tell it. After three months of runaround’s and misinformation, I finally managed to get our Xfinity billing straightened out. We received this months bill and finally it was correct. Then we forgot to pay it. Not overdue, but we decided to go to our local Xfinity store to pay it today. Binny’s was just down and across the street. So…….

I have been enjoying a bottle of Rebel 100 but I went to Binny's for the first time on my recent road trip from CA and bought one of their Rebel store picks (they had about 7-8 different barrels).  Haven't cracked it yet.

• I like it 2

A local has released a store pick every week for the last 3 weeks for their 25th anniversary. The OF and BT were both excellent. Just picked up the KC this morning. They had the ER as a bonus for waiting in line. The first 6 people got Blanton's..but apparently they got in line at 3am!!

20230819_113706.jpg

• I like it 9

On 8/16/2023 at 2:23 PM, Double C's said:

Haven't bought hardly any bourbon lately, but I was on vacation in Florida last week and picked up a bottle each of the Benchmark bonded and single barrel to try out. I have been wanting to try the expanded Benchmark lineup but they are not available in my area currently.

I bought a few bottles of Benchmark to use in aging experiments that I intend to try this fall.  As I was checking out from an ABC in Orlando I noticed the higher proof offerings, so I picked up a few of each (bonded, top shelf and barrel proof). I opened a bottle of the bonded last week. I like that offer quite a bit. 

• I like it 1

Passed on everything in and around Bardstown Saturday.    Saw every unicorn, rare and everyday bourbon you could ever want….. at 3-5x retail….  Weller 12 399 ✅ willet 8 yr 399 ✅Elijah 18 399 ✅ Weller Special Reserve, by the case in 1.75 149 ✅  Weller Antique .750 149 ✅ 

times sure have changed.

• I like it 1

24 minutes ago, JT3NSB said:

Passed on everything in and around Bardstown Saturday.    Saw every unicorn, rare and everyday bourbon you could ever want….. at 3-5x retail….  Weller 12 399 ✅ willet 8 yr 399 ✅Elijah 18 399 ✅ Weller Special Reserve, by the case in 1.75 149 ✅  Weller Antique .750 149 ✅ 

times sure have changed.

That's a shame.  I was in Bardstown just a month ago and found good stuff at good prices.  I guess we were looking for different bottles. 

• I like it 1

There was plenty of good, affordable bourbon bottles around.   Was just commenting on pricing of what used to be everyday finds on a trip thru town..

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

times sure have changed.

I visit Kentucky most summers on the way home to Florida.  In years past I used to be able to stock up on bourbon not found in Florida, where I live.  For example, I used to pack in 6 or 7 handles of Weller Antique to get me through the year.  I never even thought that I would not see the stuff again. Well, now Weller Antique is up there with unicorn horns and the truth from politicians as something that is so elusive as to be stuff of legend.  I was in Kentucky last month and I too saw those bottles behind the counters of liquor stores gathering dust like holy relics.  If I want to drink good bourbon I can either get a better job to afford those bottles or buy different bourbon. In recent years I have been focusing less on the bottles everyone wants and more on barrel selects or some of the newer small/craft distilleries that seem to be popping up all over. 

• I like it 2

19 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

times sure have changed.

EC 18 at $399. Jeez. I remember picking up three bottles for $38 each, just before the price hike to $100+, in south OKC in 2012ish. I just opened the last of those three.

Pat

1 hour ago, MJL said:

I visit Kentucky most summers on the way home to Florida.  In years past I used to be able to stock up on bourbon not found in Florida, where I live.  For example, I used to pack in 6 or 7 handles of Weller Antique to get me through the year.  I never even thought that I would not see the stuff again. Well, now Weller Antique is up there with unicorn horns and the truth from politicians as something that is so elusive as to be stuff of legend.  I was in Kentucky last month and I too saw those bottles behind the counters of liquor stores gathering dust like holy relics.  If I want to drink good bourbon I can either get a better job to afford those bottles or buy different bourbon. In recent years I have been focusing less on the bottles everyone wants and more on barrel selects or some of the newer small/craft distilleries that seem to be popping up all over. 

On my recent road trip I passed on Weller SR handles in TX for about $42.  In retrospect I would have bought some, but I was on the way to KY where I thought I would do most of my buying so I was keeping my powder dry.  Live and learn.

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

Still readily available and under $50 in Japan...Thankful for my for my traveling friends!

IMG_9368.thumb.jpg.5265cad915bc3792dcd039f1b4309e09.jpgIMG_9367.thumb.jpg.c199a0b214eace5b4b63f8694c7ae32d.jpg

Good to have those friends  indeed.  That is a good one.  Had it in Louisville but it wasn't $50 a bottle.  Enjoy!

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, MJL said:

If I want to drink good bourbon I can ... buy different bourbon. In recent years I have been focusing less on the bottles everyone wants and more on barrel selects or some of the newer small/craft distilleries that seem to be popping up all over. 

This.  A smart strategy.  Plenty of great bourbon to not have to chase any bourbon based on name or rarity.  

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, IamMatt said:

On my recent road trip I passed on Weller SR handles in TX for about $42.  In retrospect I would have bought some, but I was on the way to KY where I thought I would do most of my buying so I was keeping my powder dry.  Live and learn.

I agree, Texas is the best place to find Wellers at msrp.   If I was down there visiting my sons I would have have jumped on that 

2 minutes ago, Remocap said:

I agree, Texas is the best place to find Wellers at msrp.   If I was down there visiting my sons I would have have jumped on that 

Ohio State stores are the next best place to get it at msrp if they have it 

6 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

Still readily available and under $50 in Japan...Thankful for my for my traveling friends!

My wife is a volunteer adult ESL tutor with several Japanese students who travel back and forth from Japan several times per year.  Sadly, we agree it would be inappropriate to ask them to be my bourbon mules!

• I like it 1

FedEx finally showed up today. Cheaper than buying locally and they come right to my door. 🤷‍♂️

20230821_202404.jpg

• I like it 5

14 hours ago, MJL said:

I live about 100 miles North of Louisville.  I would go about once a year as a day trip for shopping.  Times have changed and Indiana's selection has improved for the most part.  Stuff in KY I used to buy is not seen, or now crazy mark price up in a glass case.

My solution - I don't worry about anything from Frankfort (BT/Sazerac) or Willett anymore. 

All the other legacy distillers have decent mid shelf brands that offer quality and value.  There's plenty out there to enjoy.

I went out to get gas for the mower and to have the car washed.  I stopped into my regular and he had pulled this from today’s shipment for me.  I have heard mixed reviews (online) but I didn’t want to loose my flock card.

image2.jpeg

• I like it 5

On 8/22/2023 at 1:51 PM, markandrex said:

I went out to get gas for the mower and to have the car washed.  I stopped into my regular and he had pulled this from today’s shipment for me.  I have heard mixed reviews (online) but I didn’t want to loose my flock card.

image2.jpeg

I'll be curious to hear your review. I've heard mixed reviews and much gnashing of teeth over the higher MSRP.

I bought some stuff while I was traveling this summer, but nothing hard to get or anything.  Just a lot of stuff not distributed in VA like some New Riffs (SB, Malted Rye, Balboa Rye), BBC (Origin White Label and Origin Rye), a Smoke Wagon BP and some other stuff.

Then I went on a full moratorium with the exception of if I found a BT, which I finally did and a Smooth Ambler SB rye snuck in there before I paid.  So now full moratorium, except...ya'll are probably sick of seeing me post these, but I bought another one.  This is actually my 3rd bottle of barrel 15-066 (and the last because it's the last one the store had).  

I don't know what it is but this thing hits my palette right in every spot.  It's not a traditional bourbon nose or flavor, it's a bit more wild with heavy coffee/dark chocolate notes.  The flavor is extremely intense and it takes water well.  Anyway, it's my 5th bottle of this stuff (I got a couple from a couple of other barrels too) and I think I'm finally gonna stop.

20230823_211643.thumb.jpg.f88b5600e7ecc8d52bef2d5d7a68b66b.jpg

• I like it 2

On 8/22/2023 at 1:51 PM, markandrex said:

image2.jpeg

WTF, when I go to get gas for the mower, I stop at Circle K and hope that the Polar Pop machine is working.  😜😀

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, Bourserker said:

I bought some stuff while I was traveling this summer, but nothing hard to get or anything.  Just a lot of stuff not distributed in VA like some New Riffs (SB, Malted Rye, Balboa Rye), BBC (Origin White Label and Origin Rye), a Smoke Wagon BP and some other stuff.

Then I went on a full moratorium with the exception of if I found a BT, which I finally did and a Smooth Ambler SB rye snuck in there before I paid.  So now full moratorium, except...ya'll are probably sick of seeing me post these, but I bought another one.  This is actually my 3rd bottle of barrel 15-066 (and the last because it's the last one the store had).  

I don't know what it is but this thing hits my palette right in every spot.  It's not a traditional bourbon nose or flavor, it's a bit more wild with heavy coffee/dark chocolate notes.  The flavor is extremely intense and it takes water well.  Anyway, it's my 5th bottle of this stuff (I got a couple from a couple of other barrels too) and I think I'm finally gonna stop.

20230823_211643.thumb.jpg.f88b5600e7ecc8d52bef2d5d7a68b66b.jpg

Buying moratorium?  Whatcha talkin about Willis? 😀

• I like it 4

11 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Buying moratorium?  Whatcha talkin about Willis? 😀

Yeah for real...lol.  I  keep saying I'm gonna stop but then I somehow randomly keep ending up in liquor stores...seems counterintuitive.

5 hours ago, Bourserker said:

Yeah for real...lol.  I  keep saying I'm gonna stop but then I somehow randomly keep ending up in liquor stores...seems counterintuitive.

Or a friend tells you about a great sale - then the rationalization begins.  🤔 

• I like it 1